• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kadokawa & Fromsoftware reiterate what their investments from Sony and Tencent mean on their latest financial reports

Banjo64

cumsessed
In some ways, this is a pretty insane.

From without Miyazaki is like Smash without Sakurai.

It’s a lot of dough to invest when the brains behind it all could walk away at any minute.

Bloodborne 2 or whatever FS does next with Demon's Souls graphics

Neil Degrasse Tyson Cosmos GIF by Vulture.com

BabyYoda

Banned
Sony doing that makes sense from both parties (not that I like it). But I'm surprised a Japanese company let the a Chinese company (aka the CCP) get their tendrils into them, doesn't bode well...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony doing that makes sense from both parties (not that I like it). But I'm surprised a Japanese company let the a Chinese company (aka the CCP) get their tendrils into them, doesn't bode well...
I think it is mostly US and UK countries that are treating China as an existential threat (modern Cold War). Other countries are already behind them in influence and economy and do not have that much better relationships with the US as they do in China… or see things such as this and think “well, social score is there too… so?”: https://arstechnica.com/?p=1895355

reksveks

I don't believe William is a proper analyst (same as Zubytech) and is reliable but moving on.

I don't see Fromsoftware and Kadokawa jumping from one publisher to another when they seem to want to control their IP.

BabyYoda

Banned
I think it is mostly US and UK countries that are treating China as an existential threat (modern Cold War). Other countries are already behind them in influence and economy and do not have that much better relationships with the US as they do in China… or see things such as this and think “well, social score is there too… so?”: https://arstechnica.com/?p=1895355
But Japan surely knows the Chinese hate them, their government knows it, I'm surprised their government allowed it honestly. BTW, China are an existential threat, hope you realise that.

I Master l

Banned
I doubt something as big as Elden Ring 2 will end up being exculsive since it doesn't make sense financially for Kadokawa and Tencent

It’s a lot of dough to invest when the brains behind it all could walk away at any minute.
I wonder how much their key person insurance premiums are.

Woopah

Maybe they are confident in their relationship with Miyazaki. Sakurai isn't a Nintendo employee and neither are the majority of people who have ever worked on Smash.

That’s quite exciting. With a bit of clout at Sony, I imagine From could potentially reach higher highs with their already awesome games. Whatever happens I’m looking forward to see what they cook up next.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You are talking Japan here. Lol they have major beef with China.

onesvenus

This guy breaks it down pretty simply, but its just an expansion of what they’ve said before, IP creation and games primarily.

Theres more in the threadd

It's the second time you post something coming from this guy who, reading his other tweets, is obviously a Sony fanboy.
Last time you didn't answer my questions:
- Why is someone with 1k followers on Twitter an analyst worth sharing?
- Is that your personal account?

Kiraly

It's the second time you post something coming from this guy who, reading his other tweets, is obviously a Sony fanboy.
He's another of those LARPers just like that "YouTube statistician" account that turned out to be full of shit.

Even if you don't care about his tweets and read only the slides it's clear From Software and PlayStation have quite a close relationship and almost for sure something yet to be announced is cooking. No need to snap like this, lol.

Elios83

A second party partnership From/XDEV is inevitable. They had one on PS3, one on PS4, it's only natural that after they invested in the studio there will be one on PS5.
Sony is obviously actively trying to have deals with Japanese/Asian developers (see Square, Kojima, Team Ninja, the Stellar Blade developer and I'm sure Sega/Atlus as well with Persona 6).

Last edited:
I don't see anything changing for From Software aside more investment but that's it. All these public companies want more money after all.

Last edited:

onesvenus

why are you upset?
I'm not? I'm against making a thread about any random Twitter account that shares his thoughts.

Even if you don't care about his tweets and read only the slides it's clear From Software and PlayStation have quite a close relationship and almost for sure something yet to be announced is cooking. No need to snap like this, lol.
Of course. Does a random guy on Twitter saying that warrant a new thread? I don't think so but this is a job for moderators

nowhat

Gold Member
Elden Ring says no.
Elden Ring using PS4 BC on PS5 says "ehh, kinda yes, if we're being pedantic and don't care for visual fidelity".

(not that I'm excusing the performance of the game, just that it's technically correct - which as we know is the best kind of correct - to say you can run the game at 60fps on PS5)

yurinka

When Kadokawa made the deal with Sony, before Sony acquired a part of FromSoftware, they already mentioned that their partnership with Sony was to help bring Kadokawa developed IP to a global market of games, anime etc. So to market and promote Kadokawa stuff via Sony channels, support them in different ways, etc.

This doesn't imply that this (games in the case of FromSoft) is going to be -all or part or it- exclusive to Sony platforms or that should be published by Sony. But both From Soft and Kadokawa have a long tradition of making PS exclusives since the PS1 days, so it's fair to assume that part of these games will be exclusive, even more after Sony acquiring a part of them.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I could read the PowerPoint without a Japanese dictionary. Finally learned the language through osmosis 🥳

Naysayers will claim the PowerPoints were already in English. Fake news.

yurinka

Funny that people thought Fromsoftware would no longer make PS exclusives.
Well, it's fair to assume that FromSoft will continue making PS exclusives as they and Kadokawa always did since the first PS.

But Sony making a deal with Kadokawa to help bring Kadokawa IPs to a global market of gaming and anime, or Sony making a minority investment on FromSoft, or this report don't secure that. I'd say that in any case what it secures is that their games will continue to be released on PS.

Sony owning a small portion of Kadokawa and FromSoft means that Sony will get a small part of the profits produced by Kadokawa and FromSoft. So the more profit they make, the better for Sony. Elden Ring made a lot of profit being multiplatform, and would have made way less if it would have been exclusive.

It shouldn't surprise you, it's very common to see Japanese (or from USA or EU) partnering with Chinese companies like Tencent or Netease. The typical case being that the Chinese company invests on the non-Chinese company and helps them to publish their games in China, or making mobile gaming adaptations of their IPs, or to make special versions of the games for China.

As an example, Microsoft made a deal with Netease for Minecraft China Edition, or Blizzard also had a deal with them, or in the case of Sony, Bungie got an investment and deal with them for mobile games. There are tons of examples.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
Well, it's fair to assume that FromSoft will continue making PS exclusives as they and Kadokawa always did since the first PS.

But Sony making a deal with Kadokawa to help bring Kadokawa IPs to a global market of gaming and anime, or Sony making a minority investment on FromSoft, or this report don't secure that. I'd say that in any case what it secures is that their games will continue to be released on PS.

Sony owning a small portion of Kadokawa and FromSoft means that Sony will get a small part of the profits produced by Kadokawa and FromSoft. So the more profit they make, the better for Sony. Elden Ring made a lot of profit being multiplatform, and would have made way less if it would have been exclusive.

It shouldn't surprise you, it's very common to see Japanese (or from USA or EU) partnering with Chinese companies like Tencent or Netease. The typical case being that the Chinese company invests on the non-Chinese company and helps them to publish their games in China, or making mobile gaming adaptations of their IPs, or to make special versions of the games for China.

As an example, Microsoft made a deal with Netease for Minecraft China Edition, or Blizzard also had a deal with them, or in the case of Sony, Bungie got an investment and deal with them for mobile games. There are tons of examples.
They will all likely live to regret it and I won't lose any sleep if it ruins them.

yurinka

They will all likely live to regret it and I won't lose any sleep if it ruins them.
Lol! They aren't the monsters that the propaganda makes you believe. I have 3 friends who run western studios that got investments from them (one of them purchased) and others who work in other studios that got also investments or deals to publish in China or got mobile games of their IP made by Chinese teams.

Tencent and Netease only invest on them (meaning they give money in exchange for dividends) and helps them with the publishing and marketing in China, or making these mobile games. That's all, they don't ask them to do anything or to change anything. They simply create win/win situations for both companies.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

Would not be surprised if they do get new exclusive eventually, and it will be PS5+PC day one. Seems like it would be in style for modern Sony. Or temp exclusive which is ported to XBOX later (ideal solution since we don't want to exclude people).

Juza

This guy has 0 idea how Fromsoftware make their games lol. There is no such thing as multiple teams work on different games! even Miyazaki himself denied that.

Top Bottom