• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler (anime/tv) |OT| Better Bring your "A" Game to school

Cornbread78

Episode 4 was something else. I'm glad we got some kind of poker though. That asshole is so getting jabami's debt.

Yup, let the attempted rapist flop around.. I'm sure the Student Council will try to step in and prevent it because they would inherit the debt as well, but....

Based on the described setting I expected more parallels between business and gambling, with bets being something of a shorthand for investment decisions and banter reflecting negotiation tactics - but the gimmick games, crazy faces and unlikely guesses kinda detract from all that in a big way...

I'm kind of happy with the over-the-top approach they took, just for the entertainment value alone....

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I do like how they draw the faces twisted when someone laughs/crys just like in real life.

I need to catch up on Liar game.

Cornbread78

nxfJ8TC.png
Oh, we yuri now? Nah. What I din't get is why they didn't split the winnings more. I mean, she is further in the hole now than before, so....

Zaru

So this show is over in Japan now. Went a bit anime original in that final episode, I guess they ran out of "plot space"?

Zaru

Probably had to end it there to make it fit in the season and create a good place to stop.

One more episode would have been enough to do the yuri tower and then segue into the same cliffhanger. I guess it just didn't work out with the schedule.

Cornbread78

One more episode would have been enough to do the yuri tower and then segue into the same cliffhanger. I guess it just didn't work out with the schedule.

That's my assumption as well. I'm not too knowlegable about the source material, but who knows if we will ever see more anime from this series.

Where did they end the anime compared to published material?

Zaru

-lesbians
-great reaction faces
-heavy breathing
-cheating
-jabami yumekooooooooo
-good ost

Pretty accurate. The actual games being played for the gambles are usually background noise compared to the involved characters being crazy in entertaining ways, so if that was what you're interested in, don't expect much.

And it's refreshing to have a main character who is absolutely nuts, a reckless gambling thrill addict and also doesn't give the viewer any inner thoughts.

So it's not a great show by any means, but I found it just as entertaining as the manga (though not as pretty)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So how is this show? The premise seemed interesting, but the few reviews I've read said that this show was quite bad...

💩💩💩

It's more preoccupied with upskirt shots than any type of cleverness. I dropped it a few episodes in.

LotusHD

Banned
It's no Kaiji, but I won't lie, the faces and Yumeko's crazy ass entertained me well enough. Will probably keep up with it now that it's over.

Kenstar

What's-his-face (suzui?) is only in the OP for like 5 seconds and completely absent from the ED
There was 0 bait here

its like thinking pokemon was gonna be about professor oak

Cornbread78

What's-his-face (suzui?) is only in the OP for like 5 seconds and completely absent from the ED
There was 0 bait here

its like thinking pokemon was gonna be about professor oak

at least he was there the whole time, and that final episode, he has a pair!

-lesbians
-great reaction faces
-heavy breathing
-cheating
-jabami yumekooooooooo
-good ost

Pretty accurate. The actual games being played for the gambles are usually background noise compared to the involved characters being crazy in entertaining ways, so if that was what you're interested in, don't expect much.

And it's refreshing to have a main character who is absolutely nuts, a reckless gambling thrill addict and also doesn't give the viewer any inner thoughts.

So it's not a great show by any means, but I found it just as entertaining as the manga (though not as pretty)

💩💩💩

It's more preoccupied with upskirt shots than any type of cleverness. I dropped it a few episodes in.

Ah Ok. Bit disappointing them. From the description I was hoping for something akin to like Liar Game. I might still give it a shot though.

FluxWaveZ

I thought this show was great. I haven't seen too many gambling shows, so I'm sure there are ones with better execution, but I really enjoyed the art in this. The twisted/sinister expressions are top notch.

Jabami Yumeko (who reminds me of Yukiko Amagi from Persona 4; I know they're both takes on the Yamato nadeshiko archetype) is such a compelling character. Love how crazy she is, and how every character reacts to that.

Suzui was boring; thankfully Jabami is basically the main protagonist here. The fanservice got too much for my taste sometimes, but the sensual nature of some shots did add to the surrealism of what was going on in a cool way.

Guess I'll need to get a hold of the manga to see where the story goes next. And I want that OST; there are a couple of stand-out tracks I'd like to hear in full.

Top Bottom