• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids screwing up your controllers?

Speevy

Banned
My nephew recently visited for a day and played The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker for about 6 hours. He loves this game. So much in fact, that he's almost beaten it. The problem is that he plays the game with his palm, and now the analog stick is slightly jammed. It tends to get locked into an upward position.

And of course kids (and some adults even) are the most likely to pitch controllers across the room or press the buttons too hard, so that becomes the cause of these controller problems.

Anyone have a similar experience?

lexi

Banned
I hate kids, they have these fucking clammy, sweaty hands that makes my controllers feel like a digested tennis ball.

blahness

my son has been playing games since he was 2 (he's 4 now) and knows the proper way to use controllers and whatnot because i taught him to handle them. I let him play my DS with out worry of scratches and he knows how to take care of it as well. I wont let him near the PSP though heheh.

This is why the kiddies get the $10 intec controllers.

I've only ever known one person to throw controllers, and that's my 11 year-old nephew. He never throws any of mine, though. He probably knows as soon as he does that, I'll return his ass to Wal-Mart for store credit.

impirius

When I have kids, I'll start them off on Hip Gear stuff and gradually let them work up to first-party controllers as they prove their worthiness.

Now to figure out everything else about raising kids

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
it's not so much kids with me, it's a spousal thing with me. My wife didn't understand the controller etiquette I practice until she damn near caught a Bill Cartwright elbow from me. She had the gall to think she would move from Cheetos to controller in 1 sequence. I gave her the 'what the fuck is your problem' look. She thought I was joking, when my expression didn't change, she knew what was up.

etiolate

Banned
I don't think there is a display DS unit left in existance that is actually useable. I don't know if it's because kids are so dirty or what, but the touch screens are dead.

Miniboss

Agent Icebeezy said:
it's not so much kids with me, it's a spousal thing with me. My wife didn't understand the controller etiquette I practice until she damn near caught a Bill Cartwright elbow from me. She had the gall to think she would move from Cheetos to controller in 1 sequence. I gave her the 'what the fuck is your problem' look. She thought I was joking, when my expression didn't change, she knew what was up.

Well, aren't you just the loving and caring husband...

fallout

Man, you think kids are bad? Try having roommates. I've had to open up and clean the gunk out of my GameCube controllers 3 times in the past 8 months. They don't seem to have a problem playing Mario Kart while having supper.

Oh yeah, and one of them is known for slamming the controller down whenever she loses in SSBM.

opkal

I gave two N64 controllers to my cousins, a few months later I go over to their house and they had chewed straight through the cords. I guess when the get really into the game they start to bite, it was awkward...

belgurdo

Banned
I think the problem stems from people still percieving games as toys, and not realizing that the cost of the console, two controllers, memory, and a game is more or less a week's salary. Try teaching them that to get them to understand

fallout

belgurdo said:
I think the problem stems from people still percieving games as toys, and not realizing that the cost of the console, two controllers, memory, and a game is more or less a week's salary. Try teaching them that to get them to understand
Quite true. In fact, I think this might have something to do with why Nintendo's hardware can suffer such a beating (physically) ... they know who their key market is.

StRaNgE

Banned
i find adults to be much worse.

only kids who play my stuff is mine and he's been playting since he was one and he is 7 now. (he could probably smoke us all at smash bros.)

he makes sure that if any of his friends come over they treat shit right or they no touchy.

only people i know who throw controllers are adults or young adults.

last one i threw from anger ended up slow motion bouncing off the ground and into the screen of my 61 inch tv breaking it down the middle as one lone tear fell from the pain in my heart as i watched in horror, oh th3 horror!!!!

miyuru

StRaNgE said:
last one i threw from anger ended up slow motion bouncing off the ground and into the screen of my 61 inch tv breaking it down the middle as one lone tear fell from the pain in my heart as i watched in horror, oh th3 horror!!!!

:lol :lol :lol

I've never thrown a controller or anything like that. I just....the thought never occurs to me, or well my body just doesn't react to games like that :lol

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
while on this topic, do the controllers at E3 get cleaned after each person, or should i take some kitchen gloves with me if i ever go?

pic00060.jpg

Ranger X

Actually there's no joystick that seems to be tuff enough to last 5 years. I'm at my second PS2 controller already. I'm still using my FIRST Nes controller and played thousands of hours more with it.

But well yeah, pretty much anywhere i go, kids or adults, the controllers are always in worse condition than mines. People don't pay attention to the stuff they own. Sad.
Damn i even WASH my hand before playing.

Speevy

Banned
I just bought a Wavebird, and no one is going to touch it. My nephew will just have to use the other one, and walk Link forward for all eternity.

Jonnyram

Speevy said:
I just bought a Wavebird, and no one is going to touch it. My nephew will just have to use the other one, and walk Link forward for all eternity.
My one year old son loves carrying the wavebird around and screams like hell if I take it off him. He's not caused any problems with it though.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
everyone brakes my controllers, age be damned.

two of my friends, who have been avid gamers for like 15 years now, still press the buttons too damn hard.

I always have 4 controllers for my consoles for multiplayer gaming and I always use the first player controller. They don't seem to understand that its not just 'normal wear and tear' that the 2-4p controllers break long before the 1p controller even though they only see use for multiplayer gaming.

StRaNgE

Banned
miyuru said:
:lol :lol :lol

I've never thrown a controller or anything like that. I just....the thought never occurs to me, or well my body just doesn't react to games like that :lol

it's really an anger managment issue.

same kind of people normally are the ones who just start beating the shit out of random objects for built up frustration.

luckily many of us get grips with those issues and direct that energy into more productive things. ;)

Top Bottom