• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Silky

Banned
VQT7XKS.png

Game: Killer Instinct Season 2
Developer: Iron Galaxy Studios / Microsoft Studios
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Release date: October 15th, 2014
Platform: Xbox One
Price: $19.99 / $39.99

Season 1 OT is here, for any newcomers interested in playing the game.

--

Killer Instinct returned with a very warm reception back in November 22, 2013. Previous developers Double Helix managed to make a very impressive fighting game in the short span of ten months that highlights the nostalgic flavor of the original two titles while adding new features to the games that give it a more modern aesthetic. Since it's release, the game has had it's spotlight in multiple fighting game tournaments--including this past year's EVO 2014.

Unfortunately, due to Amazon purchasing Double Helix (lord knows why), the team is no longer to work on the game (though the announcer from S1 is returning!). So, since the release of Fulgore, the small Chicago-based team at Iron Galaxy Studios have been managing development of Season 2 with the reveal of TJ Combo, Maya, and some mummy or something (with more characters to come!)

JZh91J8.png

So, what's new with Killer Instinct: Season 2? To begin, the theme of S2 is 'The Rise of Ultratech.' With the story, we'll see more of the antagonist corporation in the form of newcomers (like the much speculated ARIA), a new 'slick' UI featured in the game's main menu, and more story in arcade mode!

If you're looking for specific character balance changes, click here. The new column will focus mostly on the universal features of KI S2.

Aerial Recapture - - when in the air, certain attacks like T.J Combo's Tremor has the ability to send people back to the ground, 'recapturing' them to continue a traditional ground combo. Air Recapture is designed to thwart characters like Sadira who have very good capabilities in midair.

There are some changes to the combo breaking system, such as these two important features:

Air Combo Breakers - - Combo Breakers! ....In the air!
Air Counter Breakers - - Counter Breakers! ....In the air!

With combo breaking in S2, they may seem less effective due to the fact that there's no hard knockdown accompanying the breakers.

Stage Ultras - - much like the original KIs before it, Season 2 brings back the brutal finishes with a unique Ultra for each stage featured in S2.

KP is being replaced with Experience. Instead of points being tied by winning matches, Experience can be earned with basically doing anything in the game such as the revamped title system, 'Fight Challenges.'

If you're impatient and don't want to wait, S2 will offer a microtransaction system. KI Gold is a way to purchase level skips to unlock more content. This is the only use for gold, the cosmetics that you don't already own.

Speaking of unlocks:

There's a lot more stuff to unlock for every character in KI!

--

Along with the soundtrack being done by Mick Gordon once again, the OST 'Killer Cuts' will be releasing on October 14th, which includes the original Killer Cuts from the first Killer Instinct. Some samples below:
Hinnamatoom
Touch Me and I'll Break Your Face!
The Instinct

--

Killer Instinct Season 2 runs at a resolution of 900p now.

VE8CxkB.png

SEASON 2 CHARACTERS

CONFIRMED:

TJ Combo.

Maya

Kan-Ra
]
Riptor
ibn1MU8GJRo3oh.gif

Omen - BONUS CHARACTER
Cinder
ARIA
---
Included in Season 2
'Ghost Girl.'
'Tree Golem.'

The pricing in Season is similar to Season One, and in turn so are the features.

For $19.99, you get the 8 Season 2 characters (the first two characters are Maya and TJ) , along with any other accessories included with those characters.
For $39.99, you get everything included in the $20 pack. Exclusive to this bundle includes 8 new alternate costumes (designed by original Killer Instinct art lead Kevin Batyliss!) and Killer Instinct 2 HD.

I'm a huge fighting game fan from the 90s so i'm super excited for this. Has there been any word if character ultras will return? I also hope Riptor returns this season (no feathers please)

Skab

Woo can't wait for the trailer to drop Monday/Tuesday.

I'm a huge fighting game fan from the 90s so i'm super excited for this. Has there been any word if character ultras will return? I also hope Riptor returns this season (no feathers please)

Random nitpick here, but Riptor isn't actually a Raptor, so the no feathers thing doesn't really apply.

RBH

On September 23rd, the same day that Killer Instinct: Season 1 arrives on retail disc ($19.99/£16.99/€19.99), we’re also opening up pre-purchase of the Killer Instinct: Season 2 Ultra Edition for fans who can’t wait to get their fight on. Pre-purchasing the Season 2 Ultra Edition gets you instant access to TJ Combo, plus the full version of Killer Instinct 2 Classic, 3 weeks before the official launch of Season 2.

Once October 15th arrives, Season 2 will officially launch with a completely revamped interface and eight new fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya at launch and a character per month after that. As always, the base game is a free download via Xbox Live. Additional Season 2 fighters will roll out on a monthly basis and can be purchased individually for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99.

In the same manner as Season 1, Killer Instinct: Season 2 for Xbox One will feature two value bundles for purchase:

• Killer Instinct: Season 2 – Ultra Edition ($39.99/£34.99/€39.99)
    -Eight fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya on October 15,, with a new fighter arriving each month.
    -Alternate costumes and accessory packs for the Season 2 characters, featuring costumes designed by Kevin Bayliss, Art Director for the original Killer Instinct arcade games
    -Killer Instinct 2 Classic, a perfect port of the 1996 arcade game with full multiplayer support over Xbox Live and 1000 Gamerscore to earn
    -Ultra Edition buyers this season will get early access to characters and customization items before the Combo Breaker Pack or individual purchasers

• Killer Instinct: Season 2 – Combo Breaker Pack ($19.99/£16.99/€19.99)
    -Eight fighters, starting with TJ Combo and Maya on October 15, with a new fighter arriving each month.
http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-...wo-maya?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
here's the textual stream for the week

The Pre-S2 launch Textual Stream!

Hello everyone, we’re back with a quick textual stream this week, as everyone at IG and MS are getting stuff set up for S2 Launch next week!

Characters:

We’re hard at work on characters 3, 4, 5, and 6 at the moment, all in various stages of design and art, plus the unique new coding that each one requires.

Character #3 has two clear mastery levels. Basic attacks are simple to learn and will be understood rapidly, but once you strive to push the boundaries, expect to be extremely challenged. This is not a character that embraces “easy to master”.

Fixes & balancing:

In addition to adding new content, we’re addressing bugs and will release patch notes right before each update. Y’all have been great at finding bugs and inconsistencies and reporting them. THANK YOU! We will certainly address them as we move through the season – I can’t promise we got them all for this month’s release, but we will continue to fix issues as we go.

When it comes to balancing (not just outright bug fixes), we’re going to be moving intentionally slower on changes. We want the players to have a bit more time with the current systems before we make any sweeping changes. Please continue to provide your feedback, and know that while we don’t respond to a majority of the threads, we are listening and reading.

Teases:

Finally, with the launch trailer likely to cause some head explosions, here’s some random teases of stuff from some of S2’s cast:

“Cornered” will take on a whole new meaning…
Be careful where you step…
Think a bit before that jump-in…
Fear the potential damage…

And that’s all you’re getting out of me until next week! Have a great weekend!

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2747.0

sangreal

The pricing in Season is similar to Season One, and in turn so are the features.

For $19.99, you get the 8 Season 2 characters (the first two characters are Maya and TJ) , along with any other accessories included with those characters.
For $39.99, you get everything included in the $20 pack. Exclusive to this bundle includes 8 new alternate costumes (designed by original Killer Instinct art lead Kevin Batyliss!) and Killer Instinct 2 HD.

There is still a f2p version too, right?

Let me get this straight, buying Season 2 doesn't get you Season 1 content? If that's so that means I have to spend up to $80 to get everything. Wow

DopeyFish

Let me get this straight, buying Season 2 doesn't get you Season 1 content? If that's so that means I have to spend up to $80 to get everything. Wow

$40 to get 16 characters + 3 sets of accessories

$80 to get 16 characters + KI 1/2 Arcade + 16 Alternate Costumes + extra set of accessories for default costume

Wait, I've been seeing season 2 up for purchase, along with KI2 in the Ultimate Edition for a few weeks now, was that just a pre-order?

I'm still hesitating to purchase, I want the Ultimate for KI2, but almost feel like I should just wait for a sale, since $40 for 8 characters is a bit pricey. I guess I could rationalize that KI2 itself is worth $10, with the other $10 for the extra costumes.

DopeyFish

Wait, I've been seeing season 2 up for purchase, along with KI2 in the Ultimate Edition for a few weeks now, was that just a pre-order?

I'm still hesitating to purchase, I want the Ultimate for KI2, but almost feel like I should just wait for a sale, since $40 for 8 characters is a bit pricey. I guess I could rationalize that KI2 itself is worth $10, with the other $10 for the extra costumes.

when you preorder KI season 2 ultra edition... you get KI2 right away (i've had it since late september) and you get TJ combo to play with in exhibition

If you're super patient you could wait til they release the complete collection on disc when it's done.
Assuming they are doing 3 seasons, I'd guess it would be out some time in 2016.
They are releasing season 1 on disc so it seems inevitable that they release the whole thing at retail.

So are these "stage ultras" going to be available at launch? Haven't seen anything on them yet other than articles mentioning them...

DopeyFish

So are these "stage ultras" going to be available at launch? Haven't seen anything on them yet other than articles mentioning them...

Should be available on TJ combos stage at launch at minimum. We dont know what other stages may or may not have them. (added on the 15th or a later date)

We will likely see it featured in the launch trailer that comes out on Monday/Tuesday

So next week we'll get Maya, her stage, TJ's stage, some story stuff and if I'm reading right more system stuff (like air capture) and at least 1 stage ultra?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Wait a minute if I get ultimate killer instinct 2 I get all costumes for the first characters and original killer instinct arcade game as well as the second?

DopeyFish

Wait a minute if I get ultimate killer instinct 2 I get all costumes for the first characters and original killer instinct arcade game as well as the second?

No

You get the season 2 characters (2 on wednesday, one a month onwards until april), extra costumes for the season 2 characters and KI2

Also for gotcha...

No story stuff until end of season like S1

Top Bottom