• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space: The Game | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

a4ea49ce3c083019b31a7a134ba772d124f0d4dddadda589.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Killer Klowns from Outer Space: The Game

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jun 4, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jun 4, 2024)
  • PC (Jun 4, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jun 4, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jun 4, 2024)
Trailer:

Developers: IllFonic, Terravision Games

Publisher: IllFonic Publishing

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 71 average - 53% recommended - 16 reviews

pDiPFGO.png

Critic Reviews​

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 6.5 / 10

Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game takes a good premise from a bad movie and makes it into a mediocre game.
Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 7.5 / 10

Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game excels in its uncomplicated experiment with asymmetrical multiplayer. Rather than bog players down in multiple systems, IllFonic and Teravision choose kinetic gameplay that always has players doing something. Such a stripped-down experience is made memorable by the campy nature of the film, quick matches, and fast leveling. Of course, the circus elephant in the room is how welcome the community will be towards embracing a game that leans more into thrills and less into horror. Will the Killer Klowns wrap us up in its sugary embrace or scare us away?
Entertainium - Eduardo Rebouças - Liked-a-lot

Killer Klowns from Outer Space The Game, much like the movie, is an acquired taste, and in very similar fashion, if you’re in the right mind and are among a group that knows what they are in for and are game, there’s a very good time to be had with it. The potential is there, same way as other games in the niche, for this to be a hit, and it’ll all fall to whether or not folks will buy into it. I for one will enjoy seeing how it all plays out as it hits retail.
GAMES.CH - Sarah Schindler - German - 73%

Killer Klowns from outer Space - The Game is a solid asymmetrical horror shooter that lacks polish and sometimes liveliness, but not humor.
Game Informer - Kenneth Seward Jr. - 8 / 10

In its current state, Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game is a good asymmetrical multiplayer game. The gameplay mechanics that help balance the competitive roles reinforce the lessons IllFonic has learned over the years, while its comical nods to the film and impressive graphics showcase the respect given to the source material. If IllFonic can iron out the bugs in the coming patch and provide solid post-launch content, Killer Klowns From Outer Space could become the best this genre has to offer.
IGN - Travis Northup - 7 / 10

Clownin’ around in Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game is hilarious and action-packed, but runs its course rather quickly.
PCGamesN - Danielle Rose - 8 / 10

For fans of asymmetrical multiplayer games, Killer Klowns from Outer Space does what many others before have not, almost perfecting the likes of balance, down time, and match length, and it deserves to be considered among the best in the genre. Illfonic's game fills the gap left by Friday the 13th and checks every box in style, but its lesser-known IP may prevent well-deserved longevity.
PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 60 / 100

Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game uses an already established formula from a different source material. It's a simple game that can be interesting for those who like asymmetrical multiplayer, but there are numerous balance and variety issues that greatly affect the game itself.
Push Square - Issy van der Velde - 5 / 10

Most disappointing is the lack of clown comedy. Their shoes squeak when they walk and there are some jokey lines of dialogue, but no hilarious kills. As a human, sometimes a funny cutscene will play when you die, but that doesn't translate to combat. There’s no clown cars or circus tricks, no killer klown spaceship to fight in. Just rural, small town American levels littered with guns and melee weapons. Without the film’s silliness, there’s little reason to play Killer Klowns from Outer Space: The Game over other popular asymmetric horror titles.
SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 6 / 10

The action, while entertaining, is a bit of a drag. There are also bugs and glitches. There are more minor flaws like this, and they spoil the overall experience. But at its core, it's a fun multiplayer game with well-designed mechanics and well-balanced sides.
Seasoned Gaming - Zach Bateman - 8 / 10

As a longstanding fan of all things horror, Killer Klowns from Outer Space brings a refreshing new take for fans of the genre, offering an experience littered in immersion and interactive gameplay.
Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 8 / 10

Killer Klowns From Outer Space: The Game is a detailed asymmetrical horror game that gives a lot of love to its cult classic source material. The weird and wacky nature of the film is a perfect fit for the genre, and the gameplay design gives purpose to just about everything you do. I had frustrations with the locomotion and match length, but it didn’t ruin what was overall an enjoyable multiplayer experience.
TechRaptor - Samiee Tee - 7 / 10

An asymmetrical horror experience that's varied, albeit slightly awkward to maneuver around, and different enough mechanically to stand out from the multiplayer crowd, asymmetrical or otherwise.
TheGamer - James Troughton - 4 / 5

Killer Klowns from Outer Space is one of the best asymmetrical horror games so far, standing side-by-side with the likes of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. It’ll be interesting to see if it fares better under the enormous shadow of Dead by Daylight than Sumo Digital’s efforts, but it’s stepping out of the gate with some interesting concepts that reinvent the way the genre plays, making survivors more formidable and killers more tactical, encouraging teamwork and adding so much more depth to each match.
TheSixthAxis - Nick Petrasiti - Unscored

Many contenders have tried to take the asymmetrical crown from Dead by Daylight, and while Killer Klowns from Outer Space might not necessarily be better than DBD, it's a fun alternative that can stand on its own two (Klown) feet.
ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 8 / 10

Even with my somewhat minor complaints, I walked away from Killer Klowns from Outer Space wholly impressed with the gameplay, the faithfulness to the movie and the graphics. For a budget title this is a great looking game, textures on the klowns faces are lifelike and creepy, cotton candy that is literally on everything as the match progress has a light and wispy look as one would expect. With everything that this game is doing, for me; Killer Klowns from Outer Space feels like the best version of these asymmetrical multiplayer games. I love, love that the team at Illfonic found a way to keep players engaged even after they died in game. With a great balance between puzzles, scares and fun; each match was a blast to play, even if I have yet to escape as a teen. Burnt out on DbD, tired of being turned into chili by Leatherface and his fam? Killer Klowns from Outer Space deserves your attention, I just hope it retains its player base.

schaft0620

I really liked Predator a lot more from the same devs. I would give this a 7-ish while Predator would be in the high 8s for me.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Is the full game even out yet? I wonder if they are playing the full release or the early access like the rest of us.
Its the same game. A patch is probably coming tomorrow to fix some issues but its not gonna change the game. From what i saw on streams it looked fun, but incredibly buggy and the usual illfonic jank. Gonna try to get a cheaper key for pc after launch

Luipadre

Gold Member
Game is decent

It looks fun but dunno what these devs smoked when they decided on the pricing. This would do a lot better at half price. None of their previous games were this expensive and dont tell me this niche IP was more expensive than f13 or predator

Top Bottom