• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance | Review Thread

DryvBy

OpenCritic Review Currently: Fair -70%
(Note: hardly any reviews and most major publications like IGN and PC Gamer are finishing it before their review)

fair-man.png

Available on Steam | PS4 | Xbox One

NeoGAF OT for Kingdom Come: Deliverance

----------------------------------------------------

PC Gamer - 84 / 100
Bugs and performance issues aside, Kingdom Come is a seriously satisfying role-playing experience set in a rich, reactive world.

Game Nexus - 9 / 10
Kingdom Come is a walking simulator merged with an RPG that takes you down a Wikipedia black hole. Accepting its historicity and deciphering its cerebral game systems is like completing a religious rite.

The Games Machine - 8 / 10
It's almost impossible not to compare Kingdom Come: Deliverance with the Witcher series: there's absolutely no fantasy in the Warhorse production, but it boasts a strong character, an enormous quantity of content, choices that matter, and an adult and mature storyline. You can't expect the same visual quality or a comparable level of polish (pun intended), but the battles are like nothing you've ever seen, and the depth of the simulation really drags the player into a beautiful medieval novel.

IGN Italy - 75%
Great story and medieval atmosphere, but with some technical problems, like low frame-rate, graphic pop-ups and improvable artificial intelligence.

GamePro - 76 / 100
Kingdom Come is complex and difficult to access. However, if you get involved in it, you will experience an incredibly coherent RPG world.

Windows Central - 3 / 5
Kingdom Come: Deliverance's large open world is packed full of things to do in a setting many can relate to. It's by no means perfect, which is unfortunately down to the sheer scope of the project for such a small team of developers.

TheSixthAxis - 4 / 10
If Kingdom Come: Deliverance has a ton of bug fixing to improve the performance drastically, it could be a hidden gem. It's clear that the game, despite its grand ambitions, was simply not ready for public consumption. Shimmers of brilliance are there and had it seen more time in the oven, or set its ambitions at a more reasonable level, it could have been brilliant and scored significantly higher as a result. Alas, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another cautionary tale rather than a trend setter.

Attack of the Fanboy - 2.5 / 5
Technical issues aside Kingdom Come: Deliverance is at best an ambitious game. There are flashes of brilliance in the implementation of Warhorse Studios' unique systems of the game, as it truly does have interestingly deep survival and progression elements. Though when you do take into account the technical issues it becomes a frustrating experience in which the bad completely outweighs the good.

Last edited:
That OpenCritic score should go up.

I’m six hours in. I’ve been very impressed with the layered and deep gameplay. Ambitious world building. It’s fun to explore and experiment. Sandbox quest interactions.

Not impressed with the lack of polish and myriad of bugs. Not a great looking game on console either

Looking forward to playing more after some patches

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

Hmm Not bad. I would figure an average around the seventies when all’s said and done. Looking toward to seeing more.

Dunki

That OpenCritic score should go up.

I’m six hours in. I’ve been very impressed with the layered and deep gameplay. Ambitious world building. It’s fun to explore and experiment. Sandbox quest interactions.

Not impressed with the lack of polish and myriad of bugs. Not a great looking game on console either

Looking forward to playing more after some patches
So it is like an Bethesda game? Guess the Hardcore Oblivion comparisons where not that far off then^^

Hmm Not bad. I would figure an average around the seventies when all’s said and done. Looking toward to seeing more.

I’d be surprised if it ends up sitting lower then 78 as an average, technical problems notwithstanding this game is an ambitious and fresh offering.

Last edited:

dok1or

Four hours in and I love this game! No chrashes and no bugs!
More than i expected, especially voice acting, models and fight...

Sound is amazing...
Also great 21:9 support!

25376264027_43e998b735_b.jpg

Last edited:

UX Genes

I gotta be honest. This game has already surpassed my expectations. It is not a AAA game, so idk why people hold it to AAA standards. Having said that, it is an amazing accomplishment.

I gotta be honest. This game has already surpassed my expectations. It is not a AAA game, so idk why people hold it to AAA standards. Having said that, it is an amazing accomplishment.

I’m hoping the game succeeds because I am really enjoying the realistic style/simulation aspects paired in a first person open world/sandbox RPG

Last edited:

UX Genes

I’m hoping the game succeeds because I am really enjoying the realistic/simulation style in a first person RPG
Me too man. It has so much potential. The fact that every character has a different face is astonishing to me. It adds so much realism.

Gold_Loot

I’d be surprised if it ends up sitting lower then 78 as an average, technical problems notwithstanding this game is an ambitious and fresh offering.
Yes exactly. That’s why I hope it does well. It be nice to have more of these “hard core” like games.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Might have something to do with a AAA game price tag despite not having a AAA game budget.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Mixed scores as expected honestly. It's great if you're someone who can tolerate the bugs and locked performance isn't a priority. They said another patch was coming in a couple weeks to address these issues mentioned. Obviously, not everything will be fixed, but I hope performance and especially the frame-pacing problem is at the top of the list.

Mixed scores as expected honestly. It's great if you're someone who can tolerate the bugs and locked performance isn't a priority. They said another patch was coming in a couple weeks to address these issues mentioned. Obviously, not everything will be fixed, but I hope performance and especially the frame-pacing problem is at the top of the list.

These issues as well as a couple quest glitches I’ve encountered are on the top of my wish LOD for hopeful incoming fixes

UX Genes

$60 is what games cost, so I suppose maybe I am numb to it. A game this size, regardless of whether it was made by a AAA dev or not, should cost $60.

sublimit

Banned
Reviews and impressions are basically what i expected having followed the development of this game for so long now. I'm sure that in a year from now (more or less when i'm considering getting it) with all the patches and fixes it will be an incredible experience.

$60 is what games cost, so I suppose maybe I am numb to it. A game this size, regardless of whether it was made by a AAA dev or not, should cost $60.

I understand your point of view. Not sure I fully agree. Divinity 2 cost 44 bucks, PUBG cost 30 bucks. Just two recent examples of many possible examples. I am not sure I can endorse the “all games cost 60 bucks” narrative

I’m not saying it’s not worth 60 bucks. Just saying, it’s not unreasonable to expect 60 dollar polish when you buy a 60 dollar game.

Last edited:

Alebrije

The game looks interesting but my mayor letdown is that it's an historic game with no fantasy lore , guess is not my king of game but maybe after price drop could give it a try.

DryvBy

I played it last night on PS4 Pro (I'll post screens when I'm back from lunch). It's a weird blend of beautiful and ugly. I didn't experience any crashing and it ran smooth, but there's some definite jank with the characters animations and a few pop-in problems. While doing the dialog tree, the characters just had really weird animations where it reminded you of a last gen game. But I also think it has one of the most beautiful maps I've seen in a game. When I first pulled it up, I was really impressed with the art design.

The overall feel after an hour was that it's going to be a good RPG to go through because of how the story is playing out already. I like the combat and the "realism".

I'll also say this: I got a quest to fling turds at a guy's house. I felt I was vindicated in this purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom