• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KISS held their final concert ever tonight, band has now been recreated as CGI avatars by ILM

Puscifer

Feels weird that I'm entering the era of AI/Holograms, that 2Pac Coachella recreation was only the start a few years ago and I guess this keeps legacy bands alive far beyond touring capacity. I saw Metallica 2 years ago and easily top 5 shows for but damn, you could really tell their stage show wasn't just for show, they literally can't jam out for 2 hours straight anymore without the light show

Pejo

Gold Member
Feels weird that I'm entering the era of AI/Holograms, that 2Pac Coachella recreation was only the start a few years ago and I guess this keeps legacy bands alive far beyond touring capacity. I saw Metallica 2 years ago and easily top 5 shows for but damn, you could really tell their stage show wasn't just for show, they literally can't jam out for 2 hours straight anymore without the light show
Miku and those virtual idols have been doing it for 10+ years already in Japan.

I mean... Kiss has certainly come a long way in terms of CGI.

kiss9.gif

...but it still looks kinda bad.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The final concert was good. Saw the tour live two years ago, and they did a massive blow out at the end of this one because it was really THE END. Gene Simmons was crying.

Dr.D00p

Wow, that is just so wrong, on so many levels.

There's going to be some epic legal IP battles in the courts after they're gone.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
ABBA They did the same with a similar tour type thing. With Kiss I’m guessing the band decided to do this, to become a virtual band going forward and well even though I only know a few songs. I know they are legendary. So I don’t begrudge them at all. I think it’s smart. They earned this. It’s easy money going forward I suppose. You can’t deny they put in the work so it’s not a a cheap cash in. It’s a smart retirement

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Honestly in a situation like this where everyone involved is on board and it is an iconic Act/Band/Performer/Artist/Musician or whatever other label you want to use I am kind of okay with it. Death is a bitch, but art of any kind can live forever if properly handled and protected. If these artists want their stuff to live on through AI then I am all for it because it is a net gain going forward. It is always better to keep this kind of stuff around than have it be buried under mountains of talentless bullshit.

If iconic acts like Kiss suddenly decide to approve this stuff to cement their legacy while also still providing for their families and their fans beyond their deaths in order to still give a good show then I am all for it. Especially since it comes down to the consumer on whether or not they want to pay for the experience. If they want to spend the money on a reproduction of a previous experience and they go in knowing that is the case then who cares? Its their money.

We are entering an age where "death" does not necessarily mean you are truly "gone" and that in itself is a triumph as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

At some point u need to call it a day as band and just be done with it.

There was a guns and roses concert or however they where called a while back here and everybody was complaining the dudes couldn't sing for shit anymore and it was a bore fest.

It's fine to call it a day. The whole "band is bigger then us" is some delusion right there. The band ends with you.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How many final concerts have they done already?

They reunited the original members in 1999 and then did a farewell tour in 2000-2001, but Peter Criss bailed on them towards the end of that farewell tour. That was more than 20 years ago, and both Gene and Paul were still in their 50s, and Tommy and Eric were in their 40s. They didn't do big tours, but they toured with Aerosmith and did shows. New albums, etc.

But Gene and Paul are in their 70s now. They can't keep doing it. Gene's costume is over 20 lbs and he's 74 now. The two of them are KISS, so they announced their retirement in 2018 and started this End of the Road tour in 2019. Due to COVID it's gone on for nearly four years. These CG avatars is how the band will continue.

I went to their Farewell Tour 2 years ago, they'll be back.

The tour has gone on for four years due to being shut down for nearly two due to COVID.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I’m waiting for the obligatory Beatles reunion in glorious 3D. Probably when Paul is dead (again).

Raonak

Banned
Quite exciting, we really are deep in the future now.

I wonder if they'll eventually get AI to write songs and stuff once they die?

We all knew it was going to come to this point, there was talk of this shit as far back as the 90s…… but then again this is KISS, they are after all, a corporate money making machine for the masses to follow….and it shows in their music…. fight me lol

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Gene Simmons is such a money hungry cunt. There is a zero percent chance that was their last show.
I owe KISS saving me from Disco back in the day.
I've seen 5 of their concerts all with the original members.

It's not KISS anymore, it's the Gene money show.

I love Paul, I miss Ace & Peter but fuck Gene 😄

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course celebs and media people will do the CGI AI thing to keep it going. Just a matter of who and when. It'll get a point some of them do absolutely nothing except allow themselves to be digitally made by AI for concerts, TVs ads, movies etc....

Taylor Swift is 33 years old. Dont be surprised if she goes the AI route at some point so in the year 2060, she'll still look 33.

Tom Cruise is 61. Guy looks kind of dopy now with all that face botox. He just license out his likeness, tell studios to make him look in his 40s and milk it.

It'll be interesting to see how much consumers catch on to it and accept it no matter how good the AI graphics are. Some people will love it. Some people will say forget it. Tom can be 84 years old. This AI making him look 44 for Mission Impossible 16 is too fake.

Cyberpunkd

Wow, that is just so wrong, on so many levels.

There's going to be some epic legal IP battles in the courts after they're gone.
I’m sure family will be super happy for their dad relatives making them money. I love that scene in “Billions”.

Top Bottom