• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koichi Sugiyama: A Retrospective

A few months ago I posted a restrospective on one of my favorite composers, Hitoshi Sakimoto. That was a lot of fun, so I wanted to take some time out and discuss another favorite composer of mine, Koichi Sugiyama.

Koichi_Sugiyama.jpg

Sugiyama is a legend in the industry, though he has never really got the recognition he deserved outside of Japan. This might be because the series he is most famous for, the Dragon Quest series, has never really taken off in the West.

Before Working In the Gaming Industry
Since this is of course focused on his contributions to the gaming industry, I don't want to spend too much time writing about his non-game works. I think they SHOULD be mentioned though. It is interesting that Sugiyama was an established composer well before he ever worked in gaming. In fact, he had been composing since the 1960s. Anime, commercials, live action movies. He was quite busy, especially in the late 70s and early 80s.

Here are some of the noteworthy pieces he worked on during this time:

Sortie - Cyborg 009 (1980)

Pieces of this song were used in the famous "Daicon III" video.
Black Stream of the Galaxy - Space Runaway Ideon
Super X2 - Godzilla vs Biollante

That's just a little bit of the work he's done over the years though. He's done tons of other things though: political anthems, parade songs, you name it. But again, I want to focus on his gaming efforts.

Entering the Industry [/B}

It is a pretty funny story about how he became a game composer. Some time in the early 80s, Sugiyama submitted a comment card for a shogi game Enix had published. The Enix staff were so surprised to receive a comment card from a celebrity that they responded and asked if he wanted to write the soundtrack for a game.

The first game soundtrack he wrote was not Dragon Quest. It was in fact a game called Wingman 2, for the PC-8801.

Coffee Break - Wingman 2

As you can see, his distinct style is certainly there. Wingman 2 was released in April of 1986. After working on the game, he immediately dove into another project. One that would change his entire career.

The Dragon Quest Series

Dragon Quest was a turning point for the industry as a whole, so of course it's compositions were also ground breaking. Released in November of 1986, the series would eventually become one of Japan's most beloved series.

There are quite a few interesting things Dragon Quest I did with it's soundtrack.

First there is a the cave theme:
http://youtu.be/ZUlrcTjylYc

That is from the Super Famicom version Dragon Quest I. There is aspect of the song that I find absolutely fascination. In game, the deeper you go into dungeons, the slower and more ominous the song gets. It's the same theme, just steadily more and more frightening. The effect works perfectly, providing the player with a building sense of terror

Unknown World Draogn Quest I

My favorite track from Dragon Quest I. The melancholy and loneliness really evokes a sort of majestic personal quest the player is on.

Dragon Quest I of course also provided the very first JRPG battle theme.

Fight - Dragon Quest I

Dragon Quest II

Less than a year later, Dragon Quest II came out and of course Sugiyama returned. What is notable about Dragon Quest II in particular is that it was the first Dragon Quest Sugiyama orchestrated and released as a Symphonic Suite (he would eventually go back and orchestrate Dragon Quest I's soundtrack). It was around this time that Sugiyama also organized and conducted the very first video game music concert, which was held on August 20, 1987 in Tokyo.

Endless World - Dragon Quest II
Deathfight ~ Dead or Alive - Dragon Quest II

Town - Dragon Quest II

Dragon Quest III
By time Dragon Quest III was released in February 1988, Dragon Quest was already a cultural icon. One of the most enduring myths surrounding Dragon Quest III was that the release was so chaotic, the Japanese Diet passed a law preventing Dragon Quests from being released on weekdays. This of course, isn't true, though the fact so many people believe it shows how popular the series is in Japan.

Adventure - Dragon Quest III
Heavenly Flight - Dragon Quest III
Heavenly Flight in particular would eventually return in Dragon Quest VIII, as both the song that plays when you're flying as well as the final boss theme.
Around the World - Dragon Quest III
Dragon Quest III is interesting because it's world map is a mirror of our own world. To emphasis that fact, Sugiyama composed different themes for various towns and dungeons to reflect the different cultures.

Dragon Quest IV
Dragon Quest IV was released in 1990. The game is unique in the series in that it was divided in five chapters (6 in the PSX and DS remakes). Each chapter had a different main character, and to reflect that Sugiyama composed world map themes for each character. It was also the first Dragon Quest to have "Intermezzo", the upbeat tune that plays when you select which save file to load.

Comrades - Dragon Quest IV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIzkdIf3SGY
Elegy ~ Mysterious Shrine - Dragon Quest IV
Frightening Dungeons ~ Cursed Towers

If you ask me, I think IV had Sugiyama's best music. The dude was on POINT with that soundtrack. Also worth pointing out is the videos themselves. They're from a concert video that was put out that was like half orchestra concert footage and part fantasy sequences. It's sort of like fantasia and it's totally awesome. I believe the whole thing is on Youtube so check it out. You can see the man himself conducting the London Philharmonic.

Dragon Quest V
The first SNES Dragon Quest, released in 1992, many people consider this their favorite Dragon Quest. It's not my favorite, but Sugiyama still pumped out some awesome songs.

Violent Enemies ~ Almighty Boss Devil is Challenged
Magic Carpet ~ The Ocean
Melody of Love

Dragon Quest VI
Released in December 1995, Dragon Quest VI would end up being the last main series Dragon Quest on a Nintendo console until Dragon Questa IX in 1999, 14 years later. The US wouldn't get this game until it was released on the DS in 2011. It is also worth pointing out that Hitoshi Sakimoto served as the arranger for the SFC version

Through the Field ~ Wandering Through the Silence ~ Another World
Pegasus ~ Saint's Wreath
Ocean Waves
Ocarina ~ The Saint

Dragon Quest VII
After a troubled production, Dragon Quest VII came out on the Playstation I in 2000. America would get the game (the first US release since 1992's Dragon Warrior IV) in 2001. This game features Sugiyama at his creepiest. Dragon Quest soundtracks are usually pretty upbeat, but this game's soundtrack is down right ominous. The game would become the highest grossing game in the franchise until Dragon Quest IX.

Memories of a Lost World
With Sadness In Heart

Fighting Spirit ~ World of the Strong
Shadow of Death
Triumphal Return
If you listen at 3:30, you can hear Sugiyama release the main motiff from Cyborg 009's Sortie theme. In fact, it sounds nearly identical to "After the Battle" from Cyborg 009.
After the Battle Cyborg 009

Dragon Quest VIII
Released in 2004 in Japan, and 2005 in the West, I think this game is what finally got the West's attention due to it's beautiful cell shaded graphics. This game saw somewhat of a departure from Sugiyama's typical composition formula. Here, he begins composing more cinematically.

Remembrances ~ Cursed Trodain
Travelling with a Wagon
Strange World
Great Battle in the heavens

[Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest IX is a controversial title. The first main series game to debut on a handheld, as well as the first multiplayer main series game. It garnered a lot of hate from 2ch, but the rest of Japan didn't seem to mind because it became the highest selling game in the series both in Japan and in America.

Angelic Land
Cross the Meadows, Cross the Mountains
Tragic Prologue
I Won't Lose

Dragon Quest X
Another controversial entry, mainly due to it being an MMO. This game also features quite a few re-used tracks, such as the train theme from Dragon Quest IX, and the shrine theme from Dragon Quest IV. Seeing as how the game is about five different races, Sugiyama emphasized that in his work on the soundtrack.

Melody of the Blade ~ Might of the Being
The Puklipo Flower Race ~ The Dwarf Race ~ Over the Hill
The Race of Water ~ The Wind Elf Race ~ The Fire Ogre Race

The Dragon Quest Overture
Contrary to popular opinion, the Dragon Quest theme song changes in ever game. Even within the symphonic suite they have different arrangements. Some emphasizing strings, other brass. Some having different percussion. There are three main variations of the theme song

The first was used in Dragon Quest I and II.
http://youtu.be/2Yro5plLRZM

The second main variation was used from 3 - 8.
http://youtu.be/5ScHxhWT4JI

Starting with 9, and continuing with 10 they've used this version:
http://youtu.be/3s4gIxXSpk0

I rather like that final versions' intro.

Dragon Quest Spin Offs

There have been a number of Dragon Quest spin offs over the years, and Sugiyama has wrote the music for all of them, except Dragon Quest Swords. Here are some of my favorite songs.

Neverending Journey - Dragon Quest Monsters
Into the Unknown World - Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Boss Battle - Rocket Slime

Non-Dragon Quest Works
Dragon Quest has dominated Sugiyama's career, gaming wise, but he has still managed to find time to work on other games from time to time. Here are a few of the games he has worked on.

The Ocean - EVO
Boss Fight

He has also worked on the Shiren series, part of Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon series.

He also arranged the soundtrack for Itadaki Street PS2. Here are some of his takes on classic FF songs.

Opening ~ Bombing Mission - Final Fantasy VII
Gold Saucer - Final Fantasy VII
J-E-N-O-V-A
Battle 1 - Final Fantasy IX
Don't Be Afraid - Final Fantasy VIII
Battle 1 - Final Fantasy V
Ahead On Our Way - Final Fantasy V

Conclusion

Sugiyama is currently 83 years old. Some have considered his recent offerings to be lackluster and want him to retire, but personally I'd rather he works until he dies (like he wants to). A world without Sugiyama making new music is a sad world, and I'm not looking forward to living in that world.

Mr YuYu

I had not heard of this man before. Eventhough i love the DQ series.

Awesome OP btw. Thx for the research and increasing my gaming knowlegde :)

Great OP, needs more Shiren though!

I think Ideon and DQ III (including the I-II arranges) are still my favorite pieces of his music.

Also, as much as I like his stuff, I won't lie: I'm absolutely uneasy with his politics.

Yeah, I wanted to post some of his Shiren stuff but by time I got to Shiren, I was absolutely exhausted, coupled with the fact I'm not terribly familiar with those games.

And yeah, his political views are certainly controversial to say the least.

Yeah, I wanted to post some of his Shiren stuff but by time I got to Shiren, I was absolutely exhausted, coupled with the fact I'm not terribly familiar with those games.

And yeah, his political views are certainly controversial to say the least.
Does he long for the days of Hirohito or something?

Sort of. He's into right wing nationalism. He's somewhat of a war crime denialist, but not to the extent a lot of people in the West like Kotaku have made him out to be. It's more like he's a War Crime minimalist. He says the war crimes weren't as wide spread or involved the number of people china and Korea claim they do.

Chunky

Bugger, I was just getting the links ready for my own DQ music appreciation thread.
Although I daresay you've done a much better job than I could have :D

The arrange album is just so good.

KiTA

I don't think Ramia's theme is also used as the fight against Daimaou Zoma, but I'll look after work to be sure. The name "Hero's challenge" comes to mind?

What theme is used in DQ9's Legacy Battle against Zoma? DQ9 gets special props for going straight for the orchestral soundtrack directly and, through the legacy boss system, having every boss theme in the series in it.

duckroll

Yeah. One of those weird paradoxes where a dickwad has the skill to move you emotionally.

Yeah there's no questioning his amazing talent.... in the past at least. He made it much easier for me to care less lately because his recent scores have been pretty underwhelming. :)

Personally I don't have any problem separating a person from a personality. I can enjoy a person's work without knowing about their personality and beliefs. It's nice when the two things go hand in hand, when an artist whose work you appreciate also happens to be a good person, but I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive at all.

As a reverse example, there are plenty of actors whose body of work I dislike in general, and I find them rather mediocre and display a lack of versatility and talent. But given some of the tribulations they go through or the charity activities they run earn them my respect as people.

In the end they are human just like all of us, just as flawed, sensible or shallow, rough or nice as all of us. The only difference is that all of the parts of themselves are under a magnifying glass at all times, that's all. We never see the big picture, only what parts the media wants us to see.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I have every Symphonic Suite from the DQ series.

Very different than your average composer and many wouldn't seem out of place in a modern day opera.

Arguably my personal favorite composer...even if the latest isn't as good as his early works.

Top Bottom