• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] It's Time To Stop Giving Xbox Boss Phil Spencer A Pass

feynoob

Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping today is your day. You defeated evil phil
Bring It Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If Phil has integrity at all, he should step down right now and cast the blame for this on Satya Nadella and Amy Hood, the only 2 people at Microsoft who could have overrode him on this decision. If he doesn't, that tells me he made this decision and that his words were lies all along. Personally I always suspected he was a liar, always did give me used car salesman vibes, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a long time. That benefit ends now.

First, that would be career suicide. Nobody is going to want to hire him if he throws his toys out of the pram and blames others. He needs to fall on the sword.

Second, everyone knows Spencer is a snake oil salesman. For all we know Nadella and Hood might have wanted to take action, but Phil most likely stringed then along with:

"Guys. Trust me. I'm Phil Spencer" then proceeded to wow them by swinging his dick around.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

is this what Ybarra would actually say behind the scenes?
They did disagree on a few things and Ybarra problem was he wasn't so much of a yes man to Phil and did not mind telling Phil when he thought something was a terrible idea.

Not all of Mike's ideas were bangers too though

I will say well before the current consoles launched Mike wanted Xbox to push the whole DLSS like tech and lead the way so to speak but was shot down

Funny we are about to enter an era of dueling techs like that

They did disagree on a few things and Ybarra problem was he wasn't so much of a yes man to Phil and did not mind telling Phil when he thought something was a terrible idea.

Not all of Mike's ideas were bangers too though

I will say well before the current consoles launched Mike wanted Xbox to push the whole DLSS like tech and lead the way so to speak but was shot down

Funny we are about to enter an era of dueling techs like that

Can you elaborate on what some of these ideas were? I remember a report in Windows Central about an Achievement system overhaul that was like a career XP sort of thing and it looked pretty awesome and in depth.

We are still waiting for Achievements to be improved on , they even said this in late 2021

Jason Ronald hasn’t said a word about it since

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Can you elaborate on what some of these ideas were? I remember a report in Windows Central about an Achievement system overhaul that was like a career XP sort of thing and it looked pretty awesome and in depth.

We are still waiting for Achievements to be improved on , they even said this in late 2021

Jason Ronald hasn’t said a word about it since
They bumped heads often over games one of the bigger ones I have said before here so not revealing anything new is the Halo Infinite first screening for them and Mike actually chuckled and asked where the real trailer was and Phil green lit it

Mike said he told Phil they couldn't release that and these comments were made to a few of us before the actual reveal

Mike wanted Xbox to go super heavy into BRs once PUBG started popping off and pretty sure that was before Fortnite and Phil wasn't interested

Mike HATED interacting with the Xbot zealots of the world and did his best not to attend the silly luncheons but he has gotten together with actual gaming friends but those pic didn't need to be on social medias

Mike did think that remote play would be huge for Xbox and would let me (and a couple of others) have access to his home consoles and let people play his games on Mixer while he was at work

That last move got a guy perma banned for Xbox for putting Mikes ultra rare cars from Forza for sale then buying them on his private account

Oppoi

If only you could see Phil's tears you guys... he cares too much about gaming... this decision was the hardest thing he ever had to suffer through... Please remember the gaming T-shirts... remember the photos of Phil and his staff all smiling... How dare you all attack him like this?

As long they keep gamepass going and growing it. They should be fine. I would had agree to this, but since kotaku brought it up. Then nah, Xbox must be doing something right then 🤣

They bumped heads often over games one of the bigger ones I have said before here so not revealing anything new is the Halo Infinite first screening for them and Mike actually chuckled and asked where the real trailer was and Phil green lit it

Mike said he told Phil they couldn't release that and these comments were made to a few of us before the actual reveal

Mike wanted Xbox to go super heavy into BRs once PUBG started popping off and pretty sure that was before Fortnite and Phil wasn't interested

Mike HATED interacting with the Xbot zealots of the world and did his best not to attend the silly luncheons but he has gotten together with actual gaming friends but those pic didn't need to be on social medias

Mike did think that remote play would be huge for Xbox and would let me (and a couple of others) have access to his home consoles and let people play his games on Mixer while he was at work

That last move got a guy perma banned for Xbox for putting Mikes ultra rare cars from Forza for sale then buying them on his private account

Thanks for the info

And interestingly they tried to blame the pandemic for that poor Halo showing when the lockdowns had only come into effect a couple of months beforehand.

He hyped Crackdown 3 and wanted the IP to the in the same ball park as the likes of Gears. The game was…well it’s there for everyone to experience I’ll say that much.

I’m tired of the circus surrounding this guy , all I ever wanted was Xbox to be as good if not better then Sony and then Sony try to do better then then, vice versa, you know, strive to be the best for our time and money. Unfortunately certain people and influencers twist that as “toxic console war” because they know Xbox isn’t bringing it.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Man, I loved the OG xbox. It had its place next to the other companies' offerings. Then the 360 happened and that dude came out with a shaved head and earring, those gross pics of Greenberg in bed, the shill media that suddenly were all in on xbox and laughing at other companies who were at least trying their best, the aggressive anti Sony marketing on TV shows, the calling people 'tards if you bought the basic 360 system, the influx of little children acting like bullies online, the AA batteries, the cult like fanbase that wasn't there for the OG. I remember getting banned from a music forum just cuz I expressed my concerns about xbox. Never gotten so dogpiled in my life. End of an era.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks for the info

And interestingly they tried to blame the pandemic for that poor Halo showing when the lockdowns had only come into effect a couple of months beforehand.

He hyped Crackdown 3 and wanted the IP to the in the same ball park as the likes of Gears. The game was…well it’s there for everyone to experience I’ll say that much.

I’m tired of the circus surrounding this guy , all I ever wanted was Xbox to be as good if not better then Sony and then Sony try to do better then then, vice versa, you know, strive to be the best for our time and money. Unfortunately certain people and influencers twist that as “toxic console war” because they know Xbox isn’t bringing it.
I have said this here before but leading into this gen I was able to speak and even game with Phil in a friend no PR type of setting and the guy really loves what he does and really does love Xbox as a brand

His love for what he does is super infectious to those around him and I was so pumped up for Xbox leading into the launch of the Series X

But time and time again he simply has not been able to identify a game thats in trouble leading up to launch and I am over his schtick

It's losing subscribers, not growing.
When was this? If anything it had flat line? Maybe 1mil of them crazy hardcore use to be Xbox fans like jumping ship liken TimDog. But most ppl that don’t care bout that, that like game pass and got game pass on pc. Gamepass should be fine

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it time for fresh blood? Maybe. Phil has done a lot of good things.

Phil is a victim of not being a profit-thirsty sociopath in an industry that demands it.

Pretty sure the hundreds, maybe even thousands of people who lost their jobs are more a victim than the Microsoft Xbox CEO.

Pejo

Gold Member
Guys calm down, this is still just the tail end of Don Mattrick's decisions that he made... *checks notes* about 11 years ago.

GAF told me multiple times that Phil's leadership still hasn't trickled down yet.

I have always been suspicious of Phil's leadership capabilities, and despite him being passionate about his job, he is fucking terrible at it.

Thief1987

How we won't give a pass to an exec in a gamer t-shirt? HE IS A GAMER, he is one of us, don't touch him with your dirty hands kotaku.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's incredible that a guy who rose up the corporate ladder for Microsoft was able to convince people he was the chill uncle of vidya. For that alone he deserves the job.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I still think he's the best man for the job right now. Xbox is in uncharted territory in terms of transitioning from being a platform holder, running a major sub, planning a PC UI, all while a lot of customer demographic and development cost elements in gaming are just as rapidly shifting for everyone. They're literally in the middle of a transformation of every aspect of their business, that he's executing. Would be pretty ridiculous to put in a new person in the middle of that. Not sure what anyone realistically expects to happen there.

Tango will go down as the worst thing under his tenure though. Even the Xbox console dying itself is not that big a deal when they'll be positioned on PC.

Once they've transitioned to a fully 3rd party publisher, it's not going to really matter who runs it. Every 3rd party publisher CEO is the same. Profit driven entirely, and looks to new trends. That's all that will be left to do and they'll get someone else.

Yes, the best man for the job of using Phil Spencer's arm to pass a torch over to a new man would be, coincidentally, Phil Spencer

Top Bottom