• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pirates Leak Pokémon Prism After Nintendo Shuts It Down

http://kotaku.com/pirates-leak-pokemon-prism-after-nintendo-shuts-it-down-1790598623
Pokémon Prism is a fan-made ROM hack for Pokémon Crystal. Over the course of eight years, creator Koolboyman and his team crafted a new Pokémon experience, which they hoped to release this Christmas. Nintendo hit them with a cease and desist four days before release. Thanks to a group of pirates, the project still made it to the internet.

Following the cease and desist, Koolboyman shut down his website, which also hosted Pokémon Brown, a ROM hack for Pokémon Red, as well as Rijon Adventures, a hack for Pokémon FireRed. As a final build was never released to the wider public, Prism seemed doomed.

And yet, the next day, the files for Pokémon Prism surfaced on 4chan anyway. Attached with the files was a README file from pirates who claimed to be “ a group of people interested in seeing ROM hacks succeed.” According to the document, these folks allegedly have no affiliation with the actual team behind Pokémon Prism and instead got the files because “a dev got careless.” Despite the looming threat of legal action, these individuals left an email address where anyone could reach them. So I did.
The Prism Distributors were understandable concerned with anonymity. Individuals found liable for ignoring a cease and desist can face thousands of dollars in fines. A perceived breach by Koolboyman or another member of the project could have dire ramifications. The group even denies knowing who first placed the files on 4chan. All that mattered was getting the game to the public.

Hack my ROM's if old.

Gaspard

193f95017c00e3a96d083bdec5892314.jpg

Ahasverus

Good. If it's better than the mainline games, so be it (It's not). Same with AM2R. It's not their fault that fans are making what fans want. For free.

I imagine that's one way the studio can release it without getting in trouble.
Wonder if Nintendo would do anything if they can prove it was done on purpose.

novabolt

The only time Nintendo goes into "savage" mode is when their lawyers are sending out C&D letters.

Isn't there some kind of law that you must protect your IP against things you haven't sanctioned?

Slayven

The only time Nintendo goes into "savage" mode is when their lawyers are sending out C&D letters.

Isn't there some kind of law that you must protect your IP against things you haven't sanctioned?

Not a law, but it can be used against you in a future case "You didn't protect your IP then, why do it now?" for example

FSLink

Banned
Is this the completed Prism? I read that there was an earlier ROM released right after the C&D but it was incomplete.

There was some post-game stuff that was planned to be added via patches later on, but the leaked copy is the latest version that was gonna be released on Christmas.

Yukinari

AM2R, Prism and soon Mother 4 will all survive the C&D rampage. Would be awfully bad timing if Mother 3 got released on Switch near 4 though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

They absolutely have to protect the trademark, aka the Pokemon title/branding.

As I understand it, they don't necessarily have to protect copyright quite as fiercely as they do trademarks, but these people are releasing a romhack of an existing Nintendo game for free.

This isn't some abandoned franchise, or even a nearly abandoned one like Metroid. Nintendo is trying to sell people new Pokemon games right now. They sell old Pokemon games on the eshop on a regular basis. There's no way this shit was going to fly.

novabolt

Not a law, but it can be used against you in a future case "You didn't protect your IP then, why do it now?" for example

As I understand it, they don't necessarily have to protect copyright quite as fiercely as they do trademarks, but these people are releasing a romhack of an existing Nintendo game for free.

This isn't some abandoned franchise, or even a nearly abandoned one like Metroid. Nintendo is trying to sell people new Pokemon games right now. They sell old Pokemon games on the eshop on a regular basis. There's no way this shit was going to fly.

Thank you for the information, guys. I guess this is in Nintendo's right.

MUnited83

For you.

No, they don't have to do anything to this rom hack. There are exactly zero legal need for that. People who insist on that know absolutely nothing about the law in the slightest.

Only applies if you haven't acted against commercial uses by someone else of your IP. Not free fan creations.

When will the developers of these fan games learn NOT to announce they're making an illegal ROM hack until after it's ready and released? Every single one gets C&D'd. Yet everyone seems to think that they're immune somehow. I don't understand.

Only applies if you haven't acted against commercial uses by someone else of your IP. Not free fan creations.
This is not true at all.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I wish sites would keep this stuff quiet. Another C&D is bound to be imminent.....

Mr-Joker

Banned
The group working on M4 said they have a contingency plan if they get hit with a C&D, so I'm not worried about them.

So if they have a plan then why are they still adamant in calling their game "Mother 4" when it's clearly not and never will be.

No, they don't have to do anything to this rom hack. There are exactly zero legal need for that. People who insist on that know absolutely nothing about the law in the slightest.

Neither do you, since there's a Pokémon that is classified as the Prism Pokémon and will be the star of "Pokémon Star". It was a trademark thing and to protect their branding and prevent confusion.

Also the Pokémon in question;

necrozma.jpg

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
When will the developers of these fan games learn NOT to announce they're making an illegal ROM hack until after it's ready and released? Every single one gets C&D'd. Yet everyone seems to think that they're immune somehow. I don't understand.

This is not true at all.

There are like hundreds of Pokémon ROM hacks out there, and as far as I know this is the first to get a cease and desist.

There are like hundreds of Pokémon ROM hacks out there, and as far as I know this is the first to get a cease and desist.

Yep, up until about a week ago it was unheard of for Pokemon rom hacks to get C&Ds. The problem with Prism was that the Youtube trailer it had 3 months ago got 1.5 mil views plus there was a TPP stream previewing the final release. Most romhacks typically just stick to forum threads and maybe a few social media posts as advertisement.

Maybe they were afraid this would steal Sun and Moon's limelight, since they relatively have just been released? From what I've been reading, Prism seems to be a meaty experience.

MUnited83

For you.

This is not true at all.

Yes, it is.

If it wasn't Valve, SEGA, Nintendo and bunch of others would have no fucking trademarks left. Also, "every single one gets C&D? Have you actually informed yourself before this? A Rom hack being taken down is extremely rare. It's also not "illegal" to release or make them.

So if they have a plan then why are they still adamant in calling their game "Mother 4" when it's clearly not and never will be.

Neither do you, since there's a Pokémon that is classified as the Prism Pokémon and will be the star of "Pokémon Star". It was a trademark thing and to protect their branding and prevent confusion.

necrozma.jpg
You can't make a case for how that would create "confusion", no.

Maybe they were afraid this would steal Sun and Moon's limelight, since they relatively have just been released? From what I've been reading, Prism seems to be a meaty experience.
Prism could also be the name of the next Pokemon game that stars the prism Pokemon, Necrozma.

Were this a "full conversion patch" or something that required Crystal to run that's at least somewhat different, but this a stand-alone ROM, yes? That's just piracy.
So? Am I supposed to care that people are pirating a 16 year old game that Nintendo doesn't sell to begin with anymore?

Sami+

necrozma.jpg

Wow I don't even think MJ reached that far at the end of Space Jam

Maybe unrelated, but why would people working on fan projects like this announce a release date? It's not like they're selling it right? Especially if it's something related to Nintendo.

If by "every single one" you mean Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes and Pokémon Prism, AKA two out of hundreds if not thousand.

And the reason they announce it is to recruit people to help them develop the game in the first place.

EDarkness

Yeah..."pirates". Sure...the timing is just too convenient, but so it goes.

Not a popular opinion, but why the hell do people make these crazy "fan games" when they know damn good and well that they'll get shut down? Why not just make their own game? Why labor over something like this for years when you know it's someone else's IP? I just don't understand people. Perhaps people really do like pain.... Heh, heh.

Kyzer

Banned
Kotaku continues to deliver these projects and news of their existence right to Nintendo's desk, learning nothing from Prism or A2MR. gg, they might as well get paid a retainer fee by Nintendo. And for what a shocking story, I'd be more surprised if "pirates" (lol) DIDNT have the game hosted all over the web of their own accord. there are ACTUAL pirates all over the place out there and thats much harder to get away with.

Top Bottom