• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pirates Leak Pokémon Prism After Nintendo Shuts It Down

People need to stop it with the cheeky "pirates" posts, it was known that there were people outside of the dev team with pre-release builds of Prism for testing/streaming purposes.

Yeah..."pirates". Sure...the timing is just too convenient, but so it goes.

Not a popular opinion, but why the hell do people make these crazy "fan games" when they know damn good and well that they'll get shut down? Why not just make their own game? Why labor over something like this for years when you know it's someone else's IP? I just don't understand people. Perhaps people really do like pain.... Heh, heh.

I personally don't see it as much different from fan fiction or fan art (which is something that Nintendo has unfortunately also been clamping down on lately). They do it because they want to.

Good. If it's better than the mainline games, so be it (It's not). Same with AM2R. It's not their fault that fans are making what fans want. For free.

Yeah, it's a better than a couple I can attest to that. Man why Kotaku gotta write about we already know. They don't need more attention.

Hastati

what if the pirates were nintendo employees

tempted to try it but I never played uranium after I downloaded it and still haven't gotten far in sun and moon (love em to death tho)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
People need to stop it with the cheeky "pirates" posts, it was known that there were people outside of the dev team with pre-release builds of Prism for testing/streaming purposes.

I personally don't see it as much different from fan fiction or fan art (which is something that Nintendo has unfortunately also been clamping down on lately). They do it because they want to.

Shiver me timbers, reckon some landlubbers got hold of yer' booty and dried it out for all to see, eh?

Nintendo best remember dead men tell no tales.

The main point is other people had access to it and shared it. but the excuse is humorous and a bit "Suuuuree" with the situation surrounding it. Plus I wouldn't classify it as a pirate, maybe a leaker, or just even someone online, but I think this doesn't fall under piracy, which I understand could be a debated point.

Time and time I always check these threads in hope of people that actually know IP law (as in, studied that and possibily works with that for a living) will shed some light.

Unfortunately I'm always disappointed since most people that claim to know only do it comparing to other cases or just don't know anything at all.

If by "every single one" you mean Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes and Pokémon Prism, AKA two out of hundreds if not thousand.

And the reason they announce it is to recruit people to help them develop the game in the first place.
Off the top of my head, also Uranium and AM2R, aka every one that has gotten any media attention at all.

What's really laughable is people acting like Nintendo wouldn't have been aware about the projects if Kotaku/anyone else didn't publicize it. I'm sure they have people who know fan projects exist, unless you truly think Nintendo are filled with dinosaurs who have no idea how to access the internet.

EDarkness

Obviously. But they're ultimately just wasting time, then they get all pissed off that X company told them to stop working on it. I mean, they have to see that coming from a mile away. Sure, they want to, but watching something that you're working on get thrown to the curb due to legal reasons sucks, so why even go down that road? It's just a waste of time and resources. As someone who has/is working on a game, I couldn't imagine losing all that time over something like that.

hqdefault.jpg

Toxi

Banned
Were this a "full conversion patch" or something that required Crystal to run that's at least somewhat different, but this a stand-alone ROM, yes? That's just piracy.
Prism was supposed to be a conversion patch. After it got shut down, a full patched ROM was leaked.
unless you truly think Nintendo are filled with dinosaurs who have no idea how to access the internet.
Considering Nintendo, it's not out of the question.

PreFire

I downloaded it when it was first released knowing it would get shut down ASAP, because Nintendo.

Still haven't played though.. Just have the files on my iPad.

If the game is free, and it took them so many years to make.. Nintendo should let it slide. Not like people are going to skip buying the real Pokemon because of a fan made game.

But fuck it, what do I know?

Lkr

I really don't understand why Nintendo cares about things like this. This was never going to steal any buzz from sun and moon, I highly doubt this would have got half the attention it did if they didn't make a big stink out of it.

I know they're using actual assets from the game so it's not the same as making a fan film or fan fiction but ffs it's based off a 16-17 year old game that is no longer manufactured and has never received a virtual console release.

The way Nintendo should see shit like this is "hey look at our devoted fans that this game has made a profound impact on and are now honoring us with a tribute." I've played plenty of rom hacks for different games over the years, they don't get any serious attention until the company brings unneeded attention to it.

Looking at the popularity of super Mario maker, I think Nintendo should look into making an RPG editor style game with old and unused pokemon assets with a Pokémon designer and shit.

-Ryn

Banned
Obviously. But they're ultimately just wasting time, then they get all pissed off that X company told them to stop working on it. I mean, they have to see that coming from a mile away. Sure, they want to, but watching something that you're working on get thrown to the curb due to legal reasons sucks, so why even go down that road? It's just a waste of time and resources. As someone who has/is working on a game, I couldn't imagine losing all that time over something like that.
Passion breeds a willingness to say "fuck it"

The people who work on these projects might not be interested in making their own game and would rather create something that furthers the thing they love (even if it isn't successful). Perhaps it's still worth it to have made the project at all, even if it isn't allowed to be shared.

Top Bottom