• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOTOR remake will have different play modes

amigastar

So that means it's possible it will be real time among others? Not sure if i would play real time in this game.

Last edited:
Eh its fine, the turn-based/real time whatever system that the old kotor had was weird anyway even at that time. Maybe they'll modernize it like the mmo or keep it pure turn based like say divinity and you can choose between them in settings?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Honestly? Fine, they're trying to sell a game here. If you're playing Kotor for the combat... there's a plethora of better games to play. It's the story, setting and characters that make Kotor good.

Wvrs

FFVII remake's battle system would be perfect transplanted into this game. Strong and regular attacks with different modes (lightsaber styles / shooting techniques) building an "ATB" gauge that lets you use a force power or grenade or special ability when it's full, and on-the-fly party switching.

If it's just standard hack-and-slash I'll be let down.

Last edited:
Gonna be honest. I have very little faith that this is going to turn out good. It’s simply been too long and RPGs like these are really difficult to re work. Sure square did it with Ff7 but they still haven’t delivered the rest of the game.

How long is this game going to take ? No way they are creating a real time combat system out of this.

Kokoloko85

Im good with this. The original is one of my favourite games but just like FF7 remake Im glad they tried a different combat system and went more action.

Imagine KOTOR with sekiro like sword combat. Yes please

kuncol02

Banned
Multiple....Play....Modes...?

wtf does that mean? You choose between turn based and action?
Arcanum had realtime and turn based game modes. It was gloriously broken.

Yeah, now I'm confused. It's been a long time since I've played any Bioware game pre Mass Effect.
They basically were doing everything to hide fact that they are turn based under the hood, but at the end you simply can't hide that. Characters waiting for their turn to do anything are giving that away.

Kokoloko85

Multiple....Play....Modes...?

wtf does that mean? You choose between turn based and action?

Maybe they mean a bit like FF7remake? There was 2 different combat modes

People dont like to admit but RPG’s didnt exactly always choose to have turned based or Bioware/Witcher1 style combat systems, it was hard to make action oriented combat systems back then For big games.

Its much easier now and I hope they choose a more action style combat for the remake.
If you want classic Bioware/Witcher 1/FF12 combat, people should just play the original KOTOR, its pretty amazing but I only stuck with the combat because the rest of the game was so so amazing.

Andodalf

Banned
It is turn based. It is dice based mechanics based on AD&D with automatic turn skips if you don't decide what to do like every BioWare game since BG.

It's not turn based in the way that anyone uses the term though. If you showed someone gameplay no one would call it turn based. It's much more similar to a ATB type system

Yeah now that I think about it, it's actually more like cooldown based combat, kinda like Final Fantasy 12 and previous Bioware games.
On the other hand, it's not a real time action game to justify that change.

Yes, FFXII is definitely what I'd compare it to.

Last edited:

wvnative

Maybe they mean a bit like FF7remake? There was 2 different combat modes

People dont like to admit but RPG’s didnt exactly always choose to have turned based or Bioware/Witcher1 style combat systems, it was hard to make action oriented combat systems back then For big games.

Its much easier now and I hope they choose a more action style combat for the remake.
If you want classic Bioware/Witcher 1/FF12 combat, people should just play the original KOTOR, its pretty amazing but I only stuck with the combat because the rest of the game was so so amazing.

lmao, FF7R is among my favorite games of the generation, and yet even i completely forget about it's classic mode. i guess it'll be something like that.

i couldn't get into OG KOTOR

tygertrip

FFVII remake's battle system would be perfect transplanted into this game. Strong and regular attacks with different modes (lightsaber styles / shooting techniques) building an "ATB" gauge that lets you use a force power or grenade or special ability when it's full, and on-the-fly party switching.

If it's just standard hack-and-slash I'll be let down.
Bah. Plenty of action games out there. Let us old-timers enjoy some old school turn-based and pseudo-turn-based dice roll combat. I don't understand why everything HAS to be straight action. 🙄

stn

I'm fine with this. As long as the game is really good I don't care how they do it. Shit, I'd buy it even if it was only a graphical upgrade from the original.

Kokoloko85

lmao, FF7R is among my favorite games of the generation, and yet even i completely forget about it's classic mode. i guess it'll be something like that.

i couldn't get into OG KOTOR

Yeah the combat in KOTOR was hard to love. When you finally get the lightsabers it gets better but its the rest of the game that makes it great

Fbh

Could be good, could be bad, time will tell.
I absolutely hated the idea of FF7R not being turn based, but the combat ended up being one of the highlights of the game for me.
And to be honest I never really liked the dice based combat in older Bioware games, the combat was always serviceable but the worlds and stories and other RPG mechanics were the highlight.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
And once again, corporations are afraid of turn based.

I assume those people don't play chess, cards or bowling.

Turn based is shit. It's an archaic system that belongs in the past. Chess, cards and bowling are also completely different to a video game.

This games needs to have a real time combat and be more of a action RPG. Add a first person mode as well. Basically make it like Elder Scrolls. That's the path they should be taking with this game.

I prefer the semi-turn based nature of the original KOTOR. Moving away from that has been the biggest mistake that Bioware has yet to understand.

Turn based is shit. It's an archaic system that belongs in the past. Chess, cards and bowling are also completely different to a video game.

This games needs to have a real time combat and be more of a action RPG. Add a first person mode as well. Basically make it like Elder Scrolls. That's the path they should be taking with this game.

People like you have ruined gaming. This line of thinking and the guys who used to yell "IT LOOKS TOO KIDDIE" have done things to the gaming industry that we have yet to fully recover from. You are like the Baby Boomers of video games.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned

Laugh Lol GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned
KOTOR isn't even turn based
IIRC every action during a fight used time units, and at any time you could pause and send commands to each character.
You could play like it was an action game or you could micro-manage all team members considering the time unit budget.

I don't think the game's difficulty ever demanded players to have all that work, though.

Last edited:

IDKFA

People like you have ruined gaming. This line of thinking and the guys who used to yell "IT LOOKS TOO KIDDIE" have done things to the gaming industry that we have yet to fully recover from. You are like the Baby Boomers of video games.

Ruined gaming? Done things to gaming that the industry (multi billion dollar industry we should remember) has failed to recover from?

All because I don't want archaic, turn based combat and would rather have modern, real-time combat. And you're calling me a Boomer? 🤣

Raekwon26

Just an awful take. Absolutely awful.

kalecsan

Banned
Ruined gaming? Done things to gaming that the industry (multi billion dollar industry we should remember) has failed to recover from?

All because I don't want archaic, turn based combat and would rather have modern, real-time combat. And you're calling me a Boomer? 🤣
Well...he isn't wrong. Just in two lines you showed your supine ignorance of the medium, equating modern with real time, when both (turn based and real time) originated more than 30 years ago.

IDKFA

Just an awful take. Absolutely awful.

Just my opinion.

The thought of this KOTOR remake being in first person mode like Elder Scrolls, complete with modern, real-time combat and force power use makes me throb.

I know some people like the old turn based combat, but that's far too old fashioned for the majority of people.

IDKFA

Well...he isn't wrong. Just in two lines you showed your supine ignorance of the medium, equating modern with real time, when both (turn based and real time) originated more than 30 years ago.

Lol.

I know real-time combat isn't a new concept, but it's nowhere near as popular as it once was. Why do you think Square changed the combat system in Final Fantasy? It certainly wasn't for shits and giggles.

tygertrip

"Mechanics I don't like are shit! Every game must cater to my tastes or it's outdated crap!". LOL, hush child.

Top Bottom