• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kurzgesagt - The Infinite Black Hole Universe theory

Buggy Loop

I had heard of this theory years before from science channels but they always kind of just badly explained it outside of "we could be in a black hole". Kurzgesagt is king for blending the theories into something digestible and their infographic team are just so good. I learned new stuffs from that video and the visualization of how weird it becomes inside black holes blew my mind.

I highly recommend it.

Of course, it's all a theory, but like the author says in the video, it blows the mind that we even live in an universe and have the intelligence and science right now to come up with these theories and prove them mathematically, we just cannot "see it" as proof as we are within this system with no way out.

That out universe can be inside a black hole, but that maybe that one is part of a chain of an infinite black hole within black holes and our own universe creating new universes when creating black holes...

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I want to believe in this theory but it's equally outlandish as any other. I'd like to believe we could hypothetically survive a black hole interaction, but so far no evidence suggest we can. AFAIK!

Last edited:
I had heard of this theory years before from science channels but they always kind of just badly explained it outside of "we could be in a black hole". Kurzgesagt is king for blending the theories into something digestible and their infographic team are just so good. I learned new stuffs from that video and the visualization of how weird it becomes inside black holes blew my mind.

I highly recommend it.

Of course, it's all a theory, but like the author says in the video, it blows the mind that we even live in an universe and have the intelligence and science right now to come up with these theories and prove them mathematically, we just cannot "see it" as proof as we are within this system with no way out.

That out universe can be inside a black hole, but that maybe that one is part of a chain of an infinite black hole within black holes and our own universe creating new universes when creating black holes...

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

I am still just trying to connect the dots on why the universe is flat instead of globular.
Makes No Sense Wtf GIF by Sara Dietschy

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm surprised people buy into this obvious nonsense.

It's basically Indian "turtles all the way down" cosmology.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Astrophysicists with an intelligence that you will probably never approach put it on paper and so far it’s not debunked. The laws of black holes as we know it allow for it.

But sure, diffusionx diffusionx knows better 🤣
These guys gotta do something to justify their salary while waiting for telescope time. Coming up with theoretical and largely unprovable hypotheses is a good way to do that.

Buggy Loop

These guys gotta do something to justify their salary while waiting for telescope time. Coming up with theoretical and largely unprovable hypotheses is a good way to do that.

Oh yeah, imagine having the IQ to do this theory while bored waiting at an observation facility but in the meantime, worldwide and at universities, nobody can debunk the theory by a failure in your calculations. Whatever you end up believing, it's just another theory on the wall of theories that we'll never be able to prove, but imagine having the intelligence to come up with this and nobody can counter it (for now).

Buggy Loop

I want to believe in this theory but it's equally outlandish as any other. I'd like to believe we could hypothetically survive a black hole interaction, but so far no evidence suggest we can. AFAIK!

Our universe would have been born inside of it rather than some event horizon crossing.

I am still just trying to connect the dots on why the universe is flat instead of globular.
Makes No Sense Wtf GIF by Sara Dietschy

Eucledian geometry does not make sense as we physically understand 3D. A flat universe would have to be right on the spot of the constant of density parameter = 1, just a little above and you fold like a sphere and a little under you become a saddle. Space fabric inside a black hole is like the video explained, probably incomprehensible and infinite. I really like the theory though that the big-bang and crunch theory fit inside of the black hole from creation to singularity.

Ecotic

I have a big interest in space and all its accompanying fields like physics, and I've been aware of this theory for a while. It makes a lot of sense that our universe exists in a black hole, since the beginning of the big bang is remarkably similar to the creation of a black hole. The big bang says the universe started as a pinpoint of ultra dense and ultra hot matter, and the creation of a black hole is a lot of matter compressing and collapsing into a tiny point. So the 'ending' of matter as it transmutes into a black hole could be seen as the 'beginning' of the big bang.

And this theory explains a lot of other things, such as why light speed is our universe's speed limit (because light can't escape a black hole, so you can't go any faster). It might also be the case that our universe's expansion is due to the black hole we exist in consuming more matter from its parent universe and growing larger.

But I'm just a non-physicist who reads and tries his best to understand, so consider what I said as just thinking out loud. My hunch is that, just as we once thought our galaxy was the only galaxy in existence before finding it to be just one of many billions of galaxies, we will in the future discover that what we consider the universe is just part of some larger whole - whether that be a true multiverse, or a parent universe that spawns a nearly infinite chain of daughter black hole universes.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I have heard about this theory for many many years and I actually really like it. It sounds plausible and most of all just really interesting.

Jsisto

The fact that anything even exists at all is kind of just one big cosmic joke to me. I’m not religious by any means, I don’t think there’s a man in the sky that made everything happen. But the older I get, the more ironic I find it that our best alternative theory to god we’ve come up with can be boiled down to “at one time everything was in one place and really small and then it went boom”. The true nature of things, if we were to ever really understand it, would probably melt our brains.

Romulus

The fact that anything even exists at all is kind of just one big cosmic joke to me. I’m not religious by any means, I don’t think there’s a man in the sky that made everything happen. But the older I get, the more ironic I find it that our best alternative theory to god we’ve come up with can be boiled down to “at one time everything was in one place and really small and then it went boom”. The true nature of things, if we were to ever really understand it, would probably melt our brains.

I don't think we have the capacity to understand. Same way a monkey can probably use a rachet but actually understanding how it works is out of his brain's grasp.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Skipped through the video. It's important to understand where the narrator switches between stating largely accepted science and stating fringe theories or mathematical curiosities that are just as likely artifacts of incomplete models as they are reasonable physical predictions.

Black holes are a problematic subject in popular science for the exact same reason that they are interesting to theorists - they are at the edge of our understanding.

It's important to keep that in mind whenever watching content like this. Taken as a strange thought experiment it's harmless, but trying to conclude anything from it that pertains to the world we live in is fantastical thinking. Nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy either, but one shouldn't be eager to treat it as a substitute for reality. Not without extraordinary and irrefutable evidence.

In the videos defense, it does make this distinction, but not until late in the video, by which point a lot of people have probably stopped watching. So they share some responsibility for misinforming the public.

tl;dr Science outreach is hard because people are impatient while reality is very subtle and complicated.

diffusionx diffusionx 's skepticism is just as legitimate as all the enthusiastic acceptance coming from others, if not more so.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Skipped through the video. It's important to understand where the narrator switches between stating largely accepted science and stating fringe theories or mathematical curiosities that are just as likely artifacts of incomplete models as they are reasonable physical predictions.

Black holes are a problematic subject in popular science for the exact same reason that they are interesting to theorists - they are at the edge of our understanding.

It's important to keep that in mind whenever watching content like this. Taken as a strange thought experiment it's harmless, but trying to conclude anything from it that pertains to the world we live in is fantastical thinking. Nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy either, but one shouldn't be eager to treat it as a substitute for reality. Not without extraordinary and irrefutable evidence.

In the videos defense, it does make this distinction, but not until late in the video, by which point a lot of people have probably stopped watching. So they share some responsibility for misinforming the public.

tl;dr Science outreach is hard because people are impatient while reality is very subtle and complicated.

diffusionx diffusionx 's skepticism is just as legitimate as all the enthusiastic acceptance coming from others, if not more so.

All grand theories on the universe fall into thought experiments with mathematical understandings that we have as of now.

We’ll never have the real answer. For if it expands forever, crunch, what was before big bang, what is big bang, what was the singularity just before it, what was before the Big Bang, can the Higgs boson collapse the universe, are we in a white hole, a black hole, in a string theory, in a plankt field, are we in a simulation? A simulation within an infinite number of simulations?

But to just call bullshit on this one as if it’s a con is a brainlet moment. Don’t like it? Ok. Don’t attack the theorists. Would probably take 50 lifetimes for the average Joe to find something even similar within a thorough mathematical models that is peer reviewed by tens of thousands of peoples. They did a good job finding a “maybe” and putting it under the rug and ignoring it brings nothing

I have pity for peoples that can come after watching the video with pitchforks. Literally a “ no fun allowed” meme material.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I have pity for peoples that can come after watching the video with pitchforks. Literally a “ no fun allowed” meme material.
I agree that attacking the theorists is a step too far, especially since usually when one goes back to the original papers being cited, one finds far more humble assertions than what science popularizers will have you believe.

It's not even always the exclusive fault of the popularizers either. Like I said: Science outreach is a struggle to try and make accessible entertainment out of topics which are inherently extremely opaque and unclear, even to the people doing the science.

Personally I do believe a better job could be done when it comes to signalling to the viewer which parts are largely empirically backed science and which parts are just speculative models or oversimplifications for the sake of brevity.
But I imagine many people also like to have an element of wonder in their science reporting, and on an emotional level that's a very desirable thing, because it's that wonder that keeps the creative fires burning amidst all the difficulty and tedium that are integral parts of rigorous scientific research.

Edit: also, don't be so sure this stuff is peer reviewed by tens of thousands of people. The scientific community often consists of many very small niches.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Dude doesn't even believe black holes exist.
You can read the exchange myself and others had with him in a previous thread. I don't agree with his overly simplistic and dismissive tone, but I think his frustration - when expanded upon in greater detail and rigour - is valid. Some parts are empirically verified, some are open to interpretation, and others are pure speculation. Which is to be expected in cutting edge science. The problem with black holes is that they've become an immensely popular topic of discussion among non-scientists. Kind of similar to how Dinosaurs are simultaneously a huge cultural phenomena and a sparse collection of incomplete fossil data which may never be complete. Except we know a thousand million times more about dinosaurs than we do about black holes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Such a waste of brainpower when it's used for nonsense or shit that makes no difference. Lets face it, you cant expect janitors to shape the world, but you can expect scientific brainers to help mould society and tech, which hopefully positively affect things on Earth.

When I see space analysis, or super smart people spending their time analyzing and classifying Planet 25874.BTA in Galaxy ApexPenis 88 million light years away..... and lets spend time seeing if we can find out what gasses it emits and if it humans can live there?" it's crazy.

“Skipped through the video” lol.

RAÏSanÏa

I'm surprised people buy into this obvious nonsense.

It's basically Indian "turtles all the way down" cosmology.
The natural selection of universes that make black holes creating conditions for infinite progress, rather than just regress, makes it different than that. It including the conditions for the rise of life has extensive philosophical implications. Subconsciously, at least, it's natural to look for grounding in a new First Cause as science continues to move away from Platonic cosmology, and the spiritual systems that developed from it dissolve with secular consciousness of the natural world. From that ground is the foundation of ethics and meaning.

For myself, being introduced to this Black Hole Universe theory by this video, is immediately intriguing for the implied confirmation of an atheistic pantheism, and a connection with Poe's Eureka. It can completely dispense with any model of an outside creator as First Cause, begone panentheism and simulation theory. It allows for reincarnation models and a means in which consciousness, as biological life, can intelligibly make sense of perception and develop. As well as explain strange curiosities like egregores. If it is true there may be a means for consciousness to use the theory productively, then it would provide an evolutionary advantage. Which is a practical that might be hidden in the theoretical that won't be discovered unless experimented after consideration.

Such a waste of brainpower when it's used for nonsense or shit that makes no difference. Lets face it, you cant expect janitors to shape the world, but you can expect scientific brainers to help mould society and tech, which hopefully positively affect things on Earth.

When I see space analysis, or super smart people spending their time analyzing and classifying Planet 25874.BTA in Galaxy ApexPenis 88 million light years away..... and lets spend time seeing if we can find out what gasses it emits and if it humans can live there?" it's crazy.
For real you ever hear of this fucking loser Isaac Newton? Dude wasted his time looking into telescopes and figuring out fucking orbits of planets when his whole monkey race didn't even have airplanes. Like how you even gonna go to a planet without an airplane? He could have been spending his time coming up with the modern mop and bucket to help the janitors of the world but noooo he was drawing ovals and shit.

Dude didn't even get laid, little-known footage from a class Newton was teaching when he started up on his bullshit:
Animated GIF

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
“Skipped through the video” lol.
It's material I'm familiar with. Black hole density followed by speculative black hole universe theories. We've had another thread revolving around this sort of stuff fairly recently and that discussion was still in my memory.

Last edited:
All grand theories on the universe fall into thought experiments with mathematical understandings that we have as of now.

We’ll never have the real answer. For if it expands forever, crunch, what was before big bang, what is big bang, what was the singularity just before it, what was before the Big Bang, can the Higgs boson collapse the universe, are we in a white hole, a black hole, in a string theory, in a plankt field, are we in a simulation? A simulation within an infinite number of simulations?

But to just call bullshit on this one as if it’s a con is a brainlet moment. Don’t like it? Ok. Don’t attack the theorists. Would probably take 50 lifetimes for the average Joe to find something even similar within a thorough mathematical models that is peer reviewed by tens of thousands of peoples. They did a good job finding a “maybe” and putting it under the rug and ignoring it brings nothing

One of the threads I made had the same reactions. I found it funny since it was about certain tropes in science fiction that I was looking for whether it be books, comics, manga, videogames etc

I just found some of the post just funny to read. That's all 👀

Last edited:
Top Bottom