• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Largest Oil Refinery in the Midwest Shuts down | We're all honorary Californians now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this mentioned in the CA thread about gas prices but felt it might get better exposure as its own thread. Couldn't find one about it

http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/t...ter-Reported-BP-Refinery-Issue-321533691.html

Gas prices could be on the rise in the Midwest after production problems reportedly caused an outage at the BP Whiting Refinery.
The Northwest Indiana Times, citing sources familiar with the situation, reports that a 250,000 barrel-per-day crude distillation unit went down with a mechanical problem at the facility, impacting the production of gasoline, asphalt, jet fuel, and other products made at the refinery. The NWI Times says the unit is responsible for more than half of the refinery’s daily capacity, which is listed at 413,000 barrels per day.

Senior Petroleum Analyst Patrick Dehaan estimates the problem could drive up gas prices across the Midwest, including in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin and possibly even Kentucky and Missouri during the next week. The prices could go up by 50 cents to $1 within the next 72 hours, Dehaan estimates.

BP did not immediately respond to NBC Chicago’s request for comment. It was not immediately clear how long the issue could take to fix.

Noticed prices jump back up by like 40 cents seemingly overnight by me in NW chicagoland

Lock if old

FStop7

Banned
I know this will never happen but I would love it so much if one of Obama's last acts in office would be to reveal the oil companies have been under a RICO investigation for the past several years and that warrants were being served at that very moment.

FFS.

I like how prices take weeks/months to go down as prices drop, but the moment there's a cost increase gas goes up by 33% overnight.

Velcro Fly

I work right down the street from that refinery.

Gas around here was $2.35 a gallon on Monday when I filled up for the work week.

Today I passed a local station and it was already $3.10

Africanus

Well I just bought a full tank prior to this depressing news.

Now that we're California, I'm changing the name of Chicago to Los Ajos and driving up the cost of living by a few thousand dollars.

We have a lot of refinery capacity. However, instead of building new refineries as more capacity was needed, the kept doing expansions on the old refineries . . . and even shut some small refineries down since they were not as efficient.

Now when something blows up, it can take a lot of refining capacity off the market in one sweep.

Luckily I've been waiting a couple extra days to fill up the tank expecting prices to further fall because of the overall market

doctor-who-rain-sad.gif

Dishwalla

Banned
Go East Coast! The station around the corner has it at like $2.30, and it's been dropping. A couple weeks ago gas was like $2.50-$2.60. Haven't seen $3.00 gas in quite a while.

KingK

I was wondering why gas went from like 2.35 to 2.99 while i was at work today. Seems kinda suspicious for a refinery to conveniently shut down with no explanation just as a barrel of oil hits record low prices.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We need new legislation that takes away windfall profits caused by "mistakes" on oil refinery's part.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think it's clear that what we really need is total deregulation so that the market can set its naturally low prices.

lol, yeah I know the feeling.

Let's look at an example in a typical industry, let's say the Paper Towel Market.

Industry Manufacturer A has issues making Paper Towels.
Manufacturer B and C get extra sales, there may be a very short term shortages, maybe less "discounts" or coupons during the period since it will take a few weeks at least to ramp up production further, or B and C may have increased production costs due to overtime manufacturing to meet the new demand. The free market would work in this situation, this is the free market republicans and libertarians always tout. The company has a vested interest in making sure things run well, since a shutdown in production will cut into their sales, and could even hurt their reputation.

Using the same example when applied to petrol? What interest is there for the refinery to stay up 99.99% of the time? Oh shit, something broke? We make more money! It is in these situations that regulations or penalties need to be applied, so the refinery has a vested interest in keeping things running.

kirby_fox

Banned
FFS.

I like how prices take weeks/months to go down as prices drop, but the moment there's a cost increase gas goes up by 33% overnight.

Makes the least amount of sense to me and almost should be looked into as price gouging. How they get away with it is ridiculous. I saw it spike numerous times 80 cents overnight after a consistent down spiral, a few times because they suspected certain refineries that aren't even affected would be shutting down...they weren't even shutting down, just expected it was going to happen.

It went up about 40-50 cents here overnight. I expect it to hit another 40-50 cent uptick tomorrow.

Last month of Gas Prices in Rockford,IL versus US average

ch.gaschart

Awesome, average only increased from $2.51 to $2.97 in 3 days

Actual gas near me in NW Chicago is $3.39 now when it was $2.49 maybe 2 weeks ago

This is nuts

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Luckily I've been waiting a couple extra days to fill up the tank expecting prices to further fall because of the overall market

doctor-who-rain-sad.gif

I'm positive others were doing the same thing. I know I was. It almost feels like we're being conditioned to not do that, lol.

Clockwork

This seems all too convenient imo.

Oh, gas prices are going down? Not so fast, we are having refinery issues.

Sure sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom