• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last 3 Nintendo (GC) Games Vs. Last 3 Midway Games

From gamerankings

Zelda: Four Swords: 87%
WarioWare Inc: 79%
Custom Robo: 66%

Psi-Ops: 84%
The Suffering: 82%
NBA Ballers: 82%

MIDWAY I CHOSE YOU!

Deku Tree

This topic is a good example of how to fool people with statistics.
Try comparing all of Midways games this Gen to all of Nintendos.

The Suffering was a surprisingly good game. I had a lot of fun with it.

I'd also have a hard time comparing Wario Ware Inc. on the GC to those other games, simply because it's really just the GBA game with some multiplayer additions. Still fun though.

Deku Tree said:
This topic is a good example of how to fool people with statistics.
Try comparing all of Midways games this Gen to all of Nintendos.
NO!

Comparing all games this gen would render my Nintendo troll thread worthless.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
MoxManiac said:
Midway has definitely been on the upswing, regardless. What the hell did they do all of a sudden?

Faced irrelevance

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wario Ware and Four Swords> The vast majority of games released this gen, let alone just Midway's games.

That being said, midway IS on an upswing. Too bad the sales don't reflect the quality.

Matlock

Banned
Fallopian Tube said:
From gamerankings

MIDWAY I CHOSE YOU!

I hate to say it, but other than Wario Ware...which is an enhanced GBA port...Nintendo doesn't have shit worth buying that was released in the last few months.

Custom Robo...fun, but only at $20.
Four Swords? Yes, I want to invest in a gimmick.
Wario Ware? Fucking godly.

As for Midway's lineup, however.

Psi-Ops? Fully worth the $50. The best game I've played all year.
The Suffering? Looks good, but I'll wait until I can get a used copy at ~$30.
NBA Ballers? I'm soon getting this. Looks really good.

...of course, that's a bad comparison. ;)

Right now, I'm going to enjoy my games and laugh at all the fools that say that Nintendo > Midway, just because that's the way it is, and the way it shall always be. Keep grasping for straws, kids.

DMczaf

Fallopian Tube said:
From gamerankings

MIDWAY I CHOSE YOU!

Dont forget Slugfest!

MLB SlugFest: Loaded 78.4%

MIDWAY!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sad.gif

For anyone who has played multiplayer Wario Ware, they would argue against those scores strongly. The game is probably the best multiplayer experience this year hold for Four Sword Adventure. And once Pikmin 2 and Donkey Konga hit, we'll see how midway stacks up.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Matlock said:
Gimmick or not (and that's debatable), Four Swords is one of the most fun, brilliantly-executed games I've ever seen. To even put it in the same sentence as decent-but-hardly-outstanding Midway games is a huge disservice.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Its hardly a gimmick, and shits all over anything midways done during the span they have been a shitty games company (since their conception)

Keio

For a Finer World
It saddens me that to appreciate Midway's (perhaps) improving catalogue the topic must make make poor attempt to slate Nintendo's interesting and very leftfield releases.

Psi Ops has a very good game mechanic. It's just a pity that it's wrapped up with a poor storyline and a very generic atmosphere. That, I think, is an example of Midway still lacking the expertise to turn something like that into valuable and interesting IP.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Matlock said:
A gimmick is only "gimmicky" if it is there just for the sake of being there..

Four Swords is not a gimmick, it is a control revolution. The same revolution that the Sega VMU, FF:CC, Pac-Man Vs, and the Nintendo DS have been trying to get you bone heads to see....

Two screens > One screen

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really want to play Zelda Four Swords, but the investment requirements are just too much to be worth it.

Concerning Midway, it is nice to see them starting to look up...but then again, they've NEVER fallen into the awful depths of hell of which Acclaim currently resides. Heck, the next game they are releasing/publishing (AFAIK) is Shadow Hearts 2. Awesome!

ge-man

dark--Don't worry too much about the GBA requirements. The game is very good as a single player game--that's the most impressive thing about it.

I think I've said this before but:

Halo at launch:

XBox: $300
Three controllers: $120
Halo: $50

Total: $470

Four Swords at launch:

Gamecube: $100
Four GBAs: $240
Three cables: $30
Four Swords: $50

Total: $420

I didn't hear the "I can't afford it" speech when Halo came out. Why this?

sprsk

Kobun Heat said:

Halo at launch:

Four Swords at launch:

net play and lan are GIMMICKS!!!1112122398123810231203

pilonv1

sp0rsk said:
Its hardly a gimmick, and shits all over anything midways done during the span they have been a shitty games company (since their conception)

Today in GA revisionist history....

Originally posted by Keio
Psi Ops has a very good game mechanic. It's just a pity that it's wrapped up with a poor storyline and a very generic atmosphere. That, I think, is an example of Midway still lacking the expertise to turn something like that into valuable and interesting IP.

Haven't tried Psi Ops yet. Interesting, even though I have different problems with The Suffering, they led me to a similar conclusion. The premise is fantastic. Transforming into that beast thing is a blast, the pace is fast and frantic, and I love the way the story plays out. However, the controls feel too stiff. Both the third person and first person views have their problems, leading to a lot of switching. And there's just an overall lack of polish...subtitles, for instance, would've been greatly appreciated (maybe I missed something in the options menu?). The game's gimmick is executed (har har) very well, but a few shoddy mistakes elsewhere take something away from that accomplishment. Mistakes that might have been ironed out with a different publisher.

The Suffering is still the most refreshing survival horror game I've played in a while, and I plan to buy it once the price drops. Trumps the overhyped garbage that is Siren quite easily. Things seem to be looking up at Midway. If their financial situation improves, hopefully some of these concepts will get the time and money to become great games, rather than merely good.

Keio

For a Finer World
Mistakes that might have been ironed out with a different publisher.

Good points all around, Catchpenny.

Midway is at this point lacking a credible "identity" as a publisher, but I sure hope that they will try and start creating one. Suffering and Psi Ops have a good potential to be both big sellers and "just slightly different" from the safest, mainstream route. Should Midway commit more resources to playing to the games' strengths, it might have had two GOTY contenders.

Here's hoping for a good future. EA, Activision, Ubisoft and the console manufacturers really need more credible competition.

Speaking of which, Acclaim tried to go for an "edgy" identity and did they truly fail... Atari is now having issues with two failed AAA launches (EtM and Driver 3)...

EA's strength is obviously in licensing, presentation and stuff like EA Traxx. But obviously they fail to take risks where risks should be taken...

dark10x

Kobun Heat said:

Halo at launch:

Four Swords at launch:

Did you consider that, perhaps, we did not all purchase Halo in that same fashion? I bought an XBOX on the day of the price drop (announced just prior to E3) for $200. Along with that, I purchased Halo and JSRF...both for single play. I did not purchase another XBOX controller until December of that year. That $200 investment was also looking towards the future for other games that I would like to play. Halo multiplay only became possible as a result of a dorm room setup and lots of XBOXes owned by many peoplee. If not for this, I would have been unable to experience Halo LAN play.

Four Swords would require that I purchase 4 GBAs, 3 cables, and the game. I would not mind owning 1 GBA...but 4? The people that I would like to play this game with do not own GBAs now (and the friends that DID own them all moved away :( ). Odd as it may sound, I do not know many GBA owners. I would never purchase 4 systems for ONE game...it just isn't worth it.

Surely you could understand the basic difference in the situations?

Upon hearing that Four Swords offers a solid single player game, though, I am now quite excited and may have to give it a shot now! The 4 player idea sounds VERY fun to me, but it just isn't possible right now...

Now, for others, the fact that you actually said...

...just strikes me as a little odd. There is a MASSIVE difference between a new system launch and the launch of a single game. Also, 4 controllers can be obtained for MUCH cheaper than 4 GBAs -AND- can be used on many other games than Halo. It isn't as if everyone complaining did what you suggest...

sprsk

dark10x said:
Four Swords would require that I purchase 4 GBAs, 3 cables, and the game.

or just go outside and make friends. im sure you can find some people that own gbas.

Manders

Banned
Sounds about right. I've played all three of those Midway games. They were all fantastic. Midway has done it again.

What Midway REALLY needs to do is:

-make an online sequel to San Francisco Rush: 2049, and

-make an online sequel to Rampart (Midway owns the rights to Atari Games' back catalogue, not Infogrames "Atari", right?)

Then they would conquer all ;)

It's nice to see Midway kicking ass again.

Oh, and wtf with all the Wario Ware hate? It's one of the best party games out there.

akascream

Banned
I've managed to accumulate 3 gba's just buying the new versions: gba->sp->gbaplayer. My brother just leaves his gba at my house now. I actually keep the 2 original gba's in my controller box with the link cables perminantly attached to em.

How much more is a gba than a first party controller btw?

sprsk

akascream said:
I've managed to accumulate 3 gba's just buying the new versions: gba->sp->gbaplayer. My brother just leaves his gba at my house now. I actually keep the 2 original gba's in my controller box with the link cables perminantly attached to em.

How much more is a gba than a first party controller btw?

a used original gba is like 30 bucks. same as a new controller.

dark10x

sp0rsk said:
im sure you can find some people that own gbas

Sure, but the people I want to play the game with do not own them. Out of my 9 closest friends, only 3 of them ever owned GBAs (and two JUST LEFT with this last month!). The rest of the people I hang out with either don't know each other or wouldn't want to sit down and play this game.

Being an adventure title, I assume it requires dedication to have a good time, yes? With such busy schedules, it is difficult to get 3 other people together on a regular basis to play this.

I'm borrowing my friends GBA (not SP) to do the connectivity thang and boy, does the screen on the GBA suck. I wouldn't pay $30 for one of those pieces o' dung.

akascream

Banned
Being an adventure title, I assume it requires dedication to have a good time, yes? With such busy schedules, it is difficult to get 3 other people together on a regular basis to play this.

This is true.. and why I haven't finished neither FFCC or 4 swords. But I have em lying around for when we get together to play D&D or Halo. Sometimes we're in the mood to play and its a blast.

Matlock said:
I hate to say it, but other than Wario Ware...which is an enhanced GBA port...Nintendo doesn't have shit worth buying that was released in the last few months.

Custom Robo...fun, but only at $20.
Wario Ware? Fucking godly.

As for Midway's lineup, however.

Psi-Ops? Fully worth the $50. The best game I've played all year.
The Suffering? Looks good, but I'll wait until I can get a used copy at ~$30.
NBA Ballers? I'm soon getting this. Looks really good.

yes, Midway's lineup is soooo good that it seems you haven't even played 2/3 of the games you're pimping. ;) Actually, if you have a Gamerush near you, you can get the Suffering (which i thought was so-so) or NBA Ballers (which i just picked up myself last week and is pretty good) for $9.99 a piece by trading in two old games (even old psone games).

Top Bottom