• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last 3 Nintendo (GC) Games Vs. Last 3 Midway Games

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Saint Cornelius said:
(Midway owns the rights to Atari Games' back catalogue, not Infogrames "Atari", right?)

that's interesting, I wonder which cost more, the name Atari, or the rights to the games.

levious said:
that's interesting, I wonder which cost more, the name Atari, or the rights to the games.

I don't think Midway had to pay a penny, since both Atari Games West (formerly Atari Games, formerly Atari) and Williams were both squeezed into the Midway company during the late-90s. Infogrames on the other hand bought the name and all the intellectual property that was NOT arcade based. And I think they got it for an obscenely low price, like $500k or something.

*sigh* It sucks seeing the Atari name on things like Fugitive Hunter.

dark10x: I'm really not trying to attack you personally here, so I don't want you to get that impression. If I was in your situation, no, I don't think I'd buy Four Swords and three more GBAs.

dark10x said:
Did you consider that, perhaps, we did not all purchase Halo in that same fashion? I bought an XBOX on the day of the price drop...

Well, then people can wait for the price of the game/GBAs to go down, can't they?

Halo multiplay only became possible as a result of a dorm room setup and lots of XBOXes owned by many peoplee. If not for this, I would have been unable to experience Halo LAN play.

I agree that this helps a lot. But you've got a BETTER chance of finding people in your dorm with GBAs, because they're cheaper and easier to take along to college.

I would never purchase 4 systems for ONE game...it just isn't worth it.

Enough people bought an Xbox and three additional Xbox controllers, which cost more than a GCN and three GBAs, to play one game called Halo. It was worth it to them. I certainly wasn't about to pay that, and as I said I don't have four GBAs either.

I'm just trying to point out the double standard that's being applied, where a more expensive setup is acceptable and a cheaper one is a horrible ripoff.

Also, 4 controllers can be obtained for MUCH cheaper than 4 GBAs -AND- can be used on many other games than Halo.

Cheaper, but not MUCH cheaper. Xbox controllers were $39.99 at launch and for a while after. Factory refurbished GBAs are $60 and used ones are cheaper.

And... people actually play, in large amounts, four player games on the Xbox that aren't Halo?

It isn't as if everyone complaining did what you suggest...

Exactly - you find friends with controllers and have them bring them over, just the same as GBAs. If it's important to you, then buy a complete setup for yourself - if not, you do what you have to do.

I'm arguing that NEITHER setup is anything to complain about.

People argued this "I'm not paying $whatever for ONE GAME" angle with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Well, Wario Ware lets each player use a GBA as a controller. That's TWO games. Now Zelda's out. That's THREE games. And there's no indication that more games that use four player connectivity won't come out, especially as GBA prices drop and the GCN userbase expands.

jarrod

Banned
Wait, why are Nintendo's last 3 games limited to one platform while Midway's are of their entire portfolio (and even then the highest of the two multiplatform scores)? Shouldn't a more accurate comparison of each companies last 3 games be...

MIDWAY
-Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy PS2 Midway 10 8.0 84.3% 84.5%
-NBA Ballers PS2 Midway 36 7.1 83.7% 84.2%
-NBA Ballers XBOX Midway 34 7.0 81.8% 82.6%
-Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy XBOX Midway 16 7.5 82.3% 82.2%
-MLB SlugFest: Loaded PS2 Midway 8 6.9 76.7% 78.4%
-MLB SlugFest: Loaded XBOX Midway 9 6.2 75.2% 76.4%

NINTENDO
-The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures GC Nintendo 23 8.5 85.9% 86.5%
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour GBA Nintendo 11 8.1 84.5% 85.3%
-Mario vs. Donkey Kong GBA Nintendo 29 8.4 81.1% 81.7%

...leaving out the Classic NES Series rereleases (which ranged from the 80s to the 60s). Looks like Nintendo is the higher quality publisher leaving out one sided restrictions.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Kobun Heat said:
If they'd included a four-GBA option I'd have mentioned it.

...did they? I never tried.
I don't think so. But since you do need three I thought it was worth a mention.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I agree that this helps a lot. But you've got a BETTER chance of finding people in your dorm with GBAs, because they're cheaper and easier to take along to college.

Yeah, I suppose it really is very situational...but it just so happens that there were more XBOXes than GBAs present among us. In reality, it probably is more common to find people with GBAs.

Enough people bought an Xbox and three additional Xbox controllers, which cost more than a GCN and three GBAs, to play one game called Halo. It was worth it to them. I certainly wasn't about to pay that, and as I said I don't have four GBAs either.

Well, I also wouldn't have purchased an XBOX form the get-go with four controllers...but you are right, many people who did that would complain about the GC+GBA link. Really, though, I am a real cheap-ass when it comes to buying controllers. I HATE doing it and try to avoid it as long as possible. Perhaps that mentality is cropping up here as well. :p

Exactly - you find friends with controllers and have them bring them over, just the same as GBAs. If it's important to you, then buy a complete setup for yourself - if not, you do what you have to do.

That certainly does sound reasonable and would likely help many folks in the same situation. That's what my initial statement was based on, though...the fact that I am not in that situation. I want to play the game, but have no means to play with 3 other people without spending a lot of money. In the case of Halo LAN play, it would be the same situation if nobody I knew was able to join in with their own hardware. The GC+GBA connection idea doesn't actually bother me much anymore, as it is reasonable...I am just disappointed that, for the time being, I will be unable to enjoy Four Swords with 3 other people.

I've been tempted to grab an SP fairly soon, though...but that wouldn't really solve this issue sadly.

Your points are valid, though...but as you can see, they do not apply to everyone (as with anything else I suppose). Heh, I guess there was no reason to even reply then as only the obvious was stated. :p

82% for The Suffering? Now I know why people get mad when actual good games only score an 8.

As has been stated, Zelda is really in it's own league among the games listed.

AniHawk

dark10x said:
Upon hearing that Four Swords offers a solid single player game, though, I am now quite excited and may have to give it a shot now!

I only played 2 player, and I had a blast, but it felt very much like LA at first, and later on, more like ALttP. In fact, there are little throwbacks to every game in the series (minus Oracles), even Adventures of Link (but in a good way).

sp0rsk said:
Its a very adult thing to want to run around and blow up things. Yes, this is the hallmark of an adult human being.

I dunno about anyone else but a large amount of the time I spend playing Four Swords involves running around blowing up things. Usually each other... occasionally a wall or a chicken...

dark10x said:
Did you consider that, perhaps, we did not all purchase Halo in that same fashion?

In a year or two, you'll be able to purchase Four Swords for less as well. The impending GBA price drop (around the launch of DS) will probably drop the cost to play Four Swords multiplayer by $100. That's why he denoted the analyses at launch.

dark10x said:
There is a MASSIVE difference between a new system launch and the launch of a single game.

Not if you're talking about the Xbox/Halo launch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jonnyboy117 said:
In a year or two, you'll be able to purchase Four Swords for less as well. The impending GBA price drop (around the launch of DS) will probably drop the cost to play Four Swords multiplayer by $100. That's why he denoted the analyses at launch.

Not if you're talking about the Xbox/Halo launch.

I purchased an XBOX only 6 months after launch...though I suppose that doesn't speak well for the system.

I think the situation is different with ALL systems, to be honest. You may disagree, but the XBOX launch was no different from any other semi-recent system. It has more than just Halo, which many people seem to forget. It isn't as if the Gamecube launch was any better...

Matlock

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
yes, Midway's lineup is soooo good that it seems you haven't even played 2/3 of the games you're pimping. ;) Actually, if you have a Gamerush near you, you can get the Suffering (which i thought was so-so) or NBA Ballers (which i just picked up myself last week and is pretty good) for $9.99 a piece by trading in two old games (even old psone games).

I said it looks good, I've only pimped Psi-Ops so far...and I've played a little bit of Ballers. ;)

Top Bottom