• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late to the Party: Photography thread (Danger: Large Pictures ahoy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bowie

There was a thread a couple weeks ago that was about people's photography. I wanted to submit my photos, but I was at a place that didn't have my pictures, a scanner, or a decent internet connection.

Suffice to say, I've got those all back, so I just wanted to post what I have. Be gentle.

Wasteland.jpg

Escalator.jpg

Building.jpg

SickBoy

Jim, did you drop a zero or is that an even more ancient rendition of the workhorse K-1000? ;)

I'll see if I've got any photos worth uploading. I'm guessing not. Maybe if my scanner was hooked up...

-SB

Jim Bowie

No, that's totally a K-100. It's not even made anymore. I feel very lucky to have used it.

The K-1000 is a lot like the K-100, only a bit more complicated. K-100's barebones.

SickBoy

So old...

Shot with a K-1000:
wheel.jpg

Queen's View, Loch Tummel Scotland
qnview2.jpg

Shot with an older Olympus digicam (D-550) -- edit... a newer picture though, shot on a stop when we drove to check out apartments in our new city about a month or so ago:
falls2.jpg

(also sized down huge vertical shot)

-SB

Meier

clouds2.jpg

Took this while driving 80 mph, haha. The clouds were amazing.

destructionatdawn.jpg

One of my pictures from Charley's aftermath.. thought it turned out pretty rad.

traffic.jpg

I like how this turned out as well.. and I swear I saw this exact bridge in Collateral.

Great pics btw SB.

SickBoy

Jim Bowie said:
Sickboy,
How long did you hold down the first picture? I really, REALLY like it!

Thanks... as for the exposure, it's hard to say... I should find the negs because I don't even recall what speed of film I was using. I ran a whole sequence of them at different times and apertures and this one was far and away the best -- I suppose if I did find the negs I could probably guesstimate how I was bracketing things. This was my favorite exposure -- the closed-down, longer exposures lost a lot of the color and a lot of the uniformity in the wheel went away -- it looked like a big wheel of fire. I'm guessing this was about 15 seconds, but it could have been a few seconds either way.

Most annoying part? People kept coming up to me, getting in my way and asking if I was taking people's "at the fair" pictures. I'm standing as out of the way as I can, in a dark corner, and no sign, not wearing anything to suggest I'm actually working as a part of the fair, and it happened four or five times. I should have started snapping pictures and taking their money. :)

-SB

Seeing everybody's pictures in the last photography thread encouraged me to try to do better. Here are a couple (admittedly cliche) ones that I've taken since then. Now with gratuitous borders!

2004-07-31-TreesinTwilight.jpg
2004-08-03-BumblebeeonSunflower.jpg

Meier

Jim Bowie said:
Meier - send pic two to Newsweek, and I guarantee they'll buy it. Guaranteed.

How would I even go about doing something like that? Just look for a submittal page on their website and then send the full-size image?

Jim Bowie

Meier said:
How would I even go about doing something like that? Just look for a submittal page on their website and then send the full-size image?

Write a letter to Newsweek saying that you have tons of photos of massive damage caused by the hurricane. Send that picture along with it. Bam- a Benjamin, easy.

nitewulf

here are some i just took, more for testing the abilities of my camera than anything else, i was basically setting up some custom modes for parties, where i'd be able to shoot pictures of people pretty quickly.

olimario's pictures got me to post process my stuff...heh, im one of those "vehemently against post processing" photographers, but here goes.

these are just supposed to be pretty, thats all:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Heres some stuff from the past couple of days. I'm still kind of adjusting to the 300D.

gutters.jpg

dwight.jpg

Jim bowie: Adjust the levels on that first pic!

karasu said:
Panoptic you are a god, or at the very least a powerful wizard.
Thanks for the kind words karasu, you have some nice pics yourself.

what kind of cameras do you guys use?
I use a meager Canon Powershot A70, got it about 8 months ago. I really like this camera, as it is very user-friendly. It's a begginers camera, however it will grow with you a bit, it has some advanced features if you're willing to learn a bit, nothing too overwhelming though. It's an awesome entry-level camera.

Mason

Some of you guys have some genuinely good pictures! Inspires me to dust off my camera and get back into the swing of things.

nitewulf

here are some more indoor and outdoor macro shots i took, and post processed. henceforth i'll call this technique, "olimario filtering"

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

the DoF is genuine in the following picture.
14.jpg

My fighting betta fish:
a.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

d.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Whoa, Jim...Because of how the page loaded, I saw the picture of the escalators first, and I thought "I've taken that exact picture before..." Then I saw myself and said "WHAT THE FUCK!" Then I saw who posted it and said "Oh...less creepy." Here's 1/2 cent worth.

frog.jpg

Oh, equipment...I don't really remember...Not digital and worse than even the camera Jim used. I picked the worst camera offered at my school because I like the name. Yashica something something.

nitewulf said:
Yashikas are very good, i learned with an old ass Yashika.

The one I used had this cute little light meter where you had to press the shutter halfway before it told you if you needed more or less light. Extremely annoying. Sure it was a sturdy camera. Everything on it was manual, which was kinda fun.

nitewulf

Manabanana said:
The one I used had this cute little light meter where you had to press the shutter halfway before it told you if you needed more or less light. Extremely annoying. Sure it was a sturdy camera. Everything on it was manual, which was kinda fun.

yep, i had a similar one. not to mention actually winding the film yourself after taking a shot. those days are over for a long while now.

Vgamer

Here is some of my fav pics that ive taken. All except the last two where taken with my Canon Powershot A75. The last two where with my old digital camera the Fuji MX1200.

WildLilly.jpg

Fireworks5.jpg

CrystalClearWatersmall.jpg

squireleatinsmall.jpg

foilage17.jpg

uglyroot2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom