• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first 3 months with a PS5 is kinda a mixed bag...

Wizz-Art

As the thread title says, I'm not that happy with my newly bought Spiderman 2 edition PS5 which is about 3 months old now.

After getting the platinum on Days Gone a few days ago, I yesterday received the new drive to expand the storage. I installed it, and when reconnecting the PS5 everything looked good, so I get to move stuff over from the external HDD to the new NVMe (a Samsung Pro 990 4TB) I just installed.

There I encountered my first issue, on my Xbox's I'm used that the task of moving and copying stuff from one disk to another is a background task and that I still can use the system in the meantime for everything else, playing games, streaming or using an app etc. On the PS5 it completely locks you out and the task is prominent on screen with only the option to cancel the task and nothing else. I had close to 1 TB of moving to do, so I figured; well I'm going to use the XSX in the meantime to watch something until it finishes moving the stuff.

A couple of hours later I switched the input of my receiver to the PS5 again, in the meantime the system was turned off by itself. So I started it up and was greeted by a notice that said something like; 'something went wrong!' whatever I tried, I couldn't get the PS5 to boot normally, it just was blinking blue and didn't display anything on screen, so I tried a hard restart by holding the power button long enough until it signaled a beep. Disconnecting from the power outlet for ~15 minutes. Starting back up in safe mode, but the same issue. when in safe mode I had a picture and a couple of options, so I decided maybe there was an update and I missed it because it was running the task of moving stuff between drives.

It downloaded a new firmware update but when it needed to restart, it went to blinking blue again and no picture on the TV. After an hour going over the same proces again and again I grabbed an USB stick, downloaded the PS recovery file to reset the PS5 back to it's factory settings, which ment everything was lost – my savegame of Days Gone as I wanted to try New Game+ after completing it the other night...really sucks balls – as I don't have PS Plus (and don't plan to get it as I do all my multiplayer gaming on Xbox anyway) and of course couldn't make back-ups because I couldn't even get into the main menu. In this day and age cloud saves should not be locked behind a paywall, I'm not paying for something that Xbox offers for free.

Well after the reset to factory state with the USB, the system booted up like it was when I got it. Had to login to my PS account, manage some settings and download my whole library again.

Next problem, and currently the biggest problem I have. The library icon which was on the the taskbar above, is gone. It's not there anymore, WTF!? So I had to go through my PS account purchases to find everything again and start the download by going through the store again. Now I'm thinking of going through the factory reset again, but first I move all the downloaded stuff to an external HDD first and safely disconnect it before I start that whole proces again, to see if it fixes it. I'm skeptical but it removed it after a factory reset so why would it come back after doing another you know...

Am I just unlucky with PS stuff? I had an OG PS a year or so after release – As a SEGA fan I bought the Saturn first on day one. That's the only PS console I had no problems with. I bought a PS2 once GTAIII released, it had disc reading problems. I had to eject discs a couple of times before it started to read a disc. Had a PS3 I barely even used and the Blu-ray drive suddenly decided not to work a year and a month out of the 1-year warranty, they (PS CS) quoted €150 for repairs and that's when I swore off Sony products untill I got the PS5 recently, thankfully my brother gave me his slim when he moved abroad. My OG Xbox had Rrod, but MS fixed it over 2 years out of warranty and I never ever had one single problem with my Xbox's except for that OG 360. I also had the black with the revision Jasper chip (IIRC), it still was working when I unplugged it to make room for new tech. I also have the limited edition Star Wars R2D2 one. I have a white Xbox One (released with Sunset Overdrive), an One S currently connected at my parents place, used almost daily as a streaming device, have the first black One X and couldn't resist getting the limited edition Cyberpunk 2077 One X console which is a beauty. I also have a XSX. All of them work without a flaw. The only thing I had was stick drift on the white OG One controller and on the black XSX controller, both drifted on the left sticks a couple of years after I got them. Otherwise none.

Another thing, if I want to shut down the Xbox I press the Xbox guide button for a second, press up on the D-pad and confirm with A. Very easy, I can do it blindly. To my knowledge there isn't something like that on the PS5, I first press the PS guide button go all the way to the left and select the shut down right?

I hate that the controller needs to re-charge daily if I use it for a couple of hours, I have a lot of eneloops laying arround so to switch them out is always better than to connect a cable IMHO. So I bought a second controller and the charging dock last week when they had a sale on the PS store. So that way I'll always have at least a controller charged.

By the way, I don't care for trophies at all, but after reading the old Days Gone OT and getting to know that the platinum for that game unlocks a dynamic theme I knew I had to get it, it was my first and probably last platinum. My XSX has the State of Decay 2 dynamic background which was my favourite and most played game last gen, that's also why I picked Days Gone as my next game to play to scratch the post-apocalyptic zombie itch. Very nice game, but I like the base building and survival mechanics of State of Decay 2 better and it's a real shame Sony doesn't greenlight a sequel which could've added better survival mechanics and building. But before drifting too far off, after getting the platinum trophy I went to settings and try to change the background... well to my surprise you can't. PS5 doesn't allow it... and people were claiming the PS UI was better than the Xbox? This is not true at all, not even close! On Xbox I can customize nearly everything, from background, colors and pin the games/apps I play/use most to the homescreen. And I can find everything with ease because the UI is intuitive, at least I can go to my games library without a problem...

Talking about games.

I did it also with the Switch, I bought almost every damn exclusive on that system. On PS because I missed the PS4 gen I've done the same. I only didn't get the Final Fantasy exclusives because I have no interest in them and the WipeOut collection isn't available to buy in the store but only playable through PS+ in which I have no interest. The PS is my exclusives console, I might buy games that I liked on Xbox when they are really cheap like the NFS games which were under €5 each for the deluxe editions to maybe one day replay them again, lol like that'll ever happen.

Another thing what I'd like to ask about is how does the suspend and resume work, it's really hit and miss thus far with at least Days Gone, sometimes it remembers where I was and I could continue right where I left off, and other times I had to start the game from the start again and load my last save? I really miss quick resume a lot when I'm on other consoles.

So that were my first 3 months with the system, a mixed bag because I have some issues that I explained thoroughly. I like the fact that for the price of a 2TB Xbox expansion card €319, I've bought the 4TB NVMe Samsung 990Pro. So that's double the memory for the same price, I didn't like the fact that is wasn't as straight forward to install as on the XSX though and that it created an issue so severe I had to factory reset the console. And the damn game library icon is completely gone now, I'm really hesitant to go through a whole factory reset again and maybe doing it for nothing, anybody with advise?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I simply love my Xbox Series X with Game Pass Ultimate, the best value deal in all of gaming. With Quick Resume, the Velocity Architecture and true RDNA 2 feature set I buy all of my multi-platform games on Xbox. For the small price of £479 you too could play the latest classics like Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

I am obviously a genuine gamer, just like my compatriots Solo King Robert and the rest of the merry Neo GAF crew.

I simply love my Xbox Series X with Game Pass Ultimate, the best value deal in all of gaming. With Quick Resume, the Velocity Architecture and true RDNA 2 feature set I buy all of my multi-platform games on Xbox. For the small price of £479 you too could play the latest classics like Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

I am obviously a genuine gamer, just like my compatriots Solo King Robert and the rest of the merry Neo GAF crew.
Homer Simpson Wow GIF by Justin

bender

What time is it?

adamsapple adamsapple , buddy, you logged into the wrong account to post this.

ReBurn

Gold Member
When I copied my games to my nvme drive I just left it copying and got a snack. Seemed to all work out ok. I also disabled HDMI-CEC because every time turned on my tv the PS5 would turn on and switch inputs automatically when I just wanted to watch TV. But it was ok.

Last edited:
I feel like there is user error here.

I got this SSD for expansion slot

Corsair MP600 PRO LPX 4TB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen4 SSD - Optimized for PS5 (Up to 7,100MB/sec Sequential Read & 5,800MB/sec Sequential Write Speeds, High-Speed Interface, Compact Form Factor) Black https://a.co/d/bjnF62F

And have had zero problems.

Edit: 990 seems compatible with PS5. Samsung products are really hit or miss though.

It sounds like the SSD overheated tho.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

my man denzel GIF

adamsapple

Wizz-Art Wizz-Art

Just skimming through your post to address some of your points.

- I didn't have any issues like that installing the 1TB NvME on my PS5, luck of the draw or maybe something wasn't snapped on properly in your case.

- The DS battery, even with all the haptics and vibrations disabled, sucks balls.

- I don't know about the disappearing library icon, restore and refresh your PS5 if you can't find a way to get it back

- There's no quick shortcut way to power off, or suspend, the PS5. You have to press the home button, navigate right to the power menu and then do it like that.

- I'm also mixed on the PS5 UI, you can only pin 10 games at most to the main screen.

Wizz-Art

I feel like there is user error here.

I got this SSD for expansion slot

Corsair MP600 PRO LPX 4TB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 Gen4 SSD - Optimized for PS5 (Up to 7,100MB/sec Sequential Read & 5,800MB/sec Sequential Write Speeds, High-Speed Interface, Compact Form Factor) Black https://a.co/d/bjnF62F

And have had zero problems.

I also don't have an issues with the NVMe itself, it holds the games I copied from the external HDD I had previously. While in the proces of copying stuff over which was so large I streamed and watched some stuff on the XSX because on the PS5 copying/moving apparently is not a background task. And that's when the PS5 shut off itself, I didn't even notice until I switched to the PS5 input again a couple of hours later.

When I powered it on again, I was greeted with the 'something went wrong' message and after a couple of seconds I lost picture and the PS5 went into this blinking blue light state. I had this over and over.

My issue now is, after the factory reset. The library icon is gone from the taskbar, I don't even know how that's possible...

That sucks man. Im slowly losing faith in sony as well, been basically a lifetime supporter. Had a slim ps4 since 2017 and have used it nearly daily without issue. Extremely satisfied with it, enough that I didnt need a replacement (PS5) for a while yet with my surplus backlog. Well recently I was quite enticed by a new handheld system and the ps5 slim was also released, so I sas debating between those. On a whim I ordered the OLED 1tb deck and have nothing but praise ever since. Been using it nonstop and I feel bad for my ps4 just sitting there. Only time I use it is to simultaneously play it along with a steam game and Im comparing the graphics with different settings. Like a strange new hobby. Im never looking back!

ZoukGalaxy

Content Cat Typing GIF
cat GIF
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Thank god Banjo64 Banjo64 swooped in on post #2 to salvage Sony's honor. We all know that this incredibly specific and detailed account smearing the flawless PS5 is planted from Redmond HQ. You see this exact story on every forum.

Its been almost 4 days since he uncovered the last astroturfer. There's no telling how many more spies he will unmask. He's always watching.

Last edited:

GHG

Thank god Banjo64 Banjo64 swooped in on post #2 to salvage Sony's honor. We all know that this incredibly specific and detailed account smearing the flawless PS5 is planted from Redmond HQ. You see this exact story on every forum.

Yes, let's ignore the fact that he bought an SSD that is known to have issues unless the firmware is updated, and then blames the system despite the fact that it's clear where the point of failure is.

He should have tried spending a fraction of the time it took him to write that nonsense of an OP to simply ask for some SSD buyers advice prior to his purchase.

A SN850 would have more than done the trick at a fraction of the cost. 990 pros are overkill for anything outside of workstation tasks that require high bandwidth, and to top it off they are notorious for having issues (along with higher cooling requirements).

Last edited:

adamsapple

For people claiming the DS battery sucks balls how long are you playing before it dies? I’ve played 5 hours straight without it dying so I’m curious how long you guys are getting out of it.

In my experience it lasts anywhere from 5 to 7~ ish hours tops.

It used to be around 10~12 hours on Dualshock 4.

On Xbox, I use rechargeable eneloops and just like the rest, I keep all vibration shit disabled on a system level, the eneloops last a good 20~ hours before I swap them with the other pair on the charger.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

Its been almost 4 days since he uncovered the last astroturfer. There's no telling how many more spies he will unmask. He's always watching.

I am absolutely giddy to hear this news, and Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is next gen console it’s not that complex, games like rift apart, horizon, and gran turismo 7 stand out. The main function of the ps5 is gaming, and it’s coordinates with movies through blu ray, this is a classic Sony legacy console with many advantages over the Xbox.

like a boss mic drop GIF

Wizz-Art

Yes, let's ignore the fact that he bought an SSD that is known to have issues unless the firmware is updated, and then blames the system despite the fact that it's clear where the point of failure is.

He should have tried spending a fraction of the time it took him to write that nonsense of an OP to simply ask for some SSD buyers advice prior to his purchase.

A SN850 would have more than done the trick at a fraction of the cost. 990 pros are overkill for anything outside of workstation tasks that require high bandwidth, and to top it off they are notorious for having issues (along with higher cooling requirements).

Classy man, so it's nonesens that I lost my savefiles because PS is to cheap to offer cloud saves for free like Xbox does? It's also nonesens that I lost the whole library icon on the PS taskbar after I did a factory reset with a file downloaded from their site? Or that moving or copying stuff on the PS5 isn't treated like a background task, but locks you out from using the system completely until the moving or copying is done. To me those are clear pro's for XBOX and how they handle the same stuff, but you know pointing to those facts apparently makes you a shill...

It's the first time I hear that the 990 has issues, I'm Dutch and on the Dutch tech sites the reviews were very good, also the three YouTube reviews in English I watched said it was a very good NVMe for the PS5, on the site that I ordered it from it was the cheapest price it has ever been so it was somewhat of an impulse buy and I didn't thoroughly researched like I would when I'm buying a new car or TV or something.

A WD SN850 sadly doesn't come in 4TB, I believe the 4TB 990Pro is also quite new from september '23 (?) so maybe Samsung fixed the issues they had with the smaller sized ssd's?

GHG

I am absolutely giddy to hear this news, and Phil deserves profound praise for the steady and enterprising growth the Xbox division has seen under his watchful care. It's so awesome to see one of the industry's big three players evolving to new heights under the capable care and supervision of an individual that champions games and gamers first.

It's been a continued pleasure continuing to witness Microsoft plan and execute bold moves; and support, embolden, and empower their internal development teams to help showcase their best and ready their focus on key releases (across platforms in many cases); and I can't wait to celebrate the new Microsoft, Bethesda, and Activision releases being readied down the pipeline. This is a win for all of us.

Nice attempt but nothing can top the 12 mentions of Xbox in the OP despite the topic supposedly being about something completely different.

Further training is required.

Classy man, so it's nonesens that I lost my savefiles because PS is to cheap to offer cloud saves for free like Xbox does? It's also nonesens that I lost the whole library icon on the PS taskbar after I did a factory reset with a file downloaded from their site? Or that moving or copying stuff on the PS5 isn't treated like a background task, but locks you out from using the system completely until the moving or copying is done. To me those are clear pro's for XBOX and how they handle the same stuff, but you know pointing to those facts apparently makes you a shill...

It's the first time I hear that the 990 has issues, I'm Dutch and on the Dutch tech sites the reviews were very good, also the three YouTube reviews in English I watched said it was a very good NVMe for the PS5, on the site that I ordered it from it was the cheapest price it has ever been so it was somewhat of an impulse buy and I didn't thoroughly researched like I would when I'm buying a new car or TV or something.

A WD SN850 sadly doesn't come in 4TB, I believe the 4TB 990Pro is also quite new from september '23 (?) so maybe Samsung fixed the issues they had with the smaller sized ssd's?

Dude, nobody cares about your Xbox.

You purchased an SSD that is complete overkill for a console and it's fraught with issues, that's on you and your lack of prior research. Regardless of what a few sponsored videos on YouTube might say, there is zero benefit to getting something as fast as the 990 pro for the PS5.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think the PS5 is easily the worst PlayStation I’ve ever owned. Including the handhelds. Sony’s handling of their studios has sucked, imo. No Killzone, Jak, Resistance or other IP’s that I liked on past PlayStations. Then you look how they’ve handled GaaS and it’s even worse. Then you factor in the PS+ price increase.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I can’t relate to anything you said. I had XBox from the OG to XBO. I haven’t touched my Xbox since finishing Halo Infinite when that came out. I do understand that some people generally favor Xbox and that’s fine. I’ve always loved PS and yes there are months and months of down time. I’ve had a better experience just waiting. I also didn’t do or plan to do any sort of drive swapping with my consoles. I max that thing out, uninstall what I don’t need, rinse and repeat.

I’ve been fine with mine. It’s been a waiting game. I feel like you had super slow years with PS4 just starting out. You had Resogun, MGS Ground Zeroes, and The Order 1886, but people realized the console put PS back at the top. The PS3 was dogged on for lousy ports, but TLoU came out right at the end. That was a phenomenal game. The PS2 had some slow years and then in 2006 and 2007 we got GoW2 and a handful of excellent JRPGs.

If swapping out a drive and getting some colored beep is causing you not enjoy your PS console then get another console. Otherwise you’re going to end up selling your PS5 because of how irritated you are. I plan to stick with PS even with the Plus price hike. I can’t wait for FF7 Rebirth and Silent Hill 2. I bought a second DualSense for myself.

Pimpbaa

I haven’t had any software issues or complaints. But you are certainly righting about the dual sense controller battery life. They last about 2 to 3 days whereas the current Xbox controller last for a couple of weeks on a pair of eneloops. My switch pro controller lasts even longer.

Xenon

I barely used my PS5, but then I realized if you keep it horizontal Blu Ray movies don't skip. I use it all the time now.

Seriously though, I just don't have enough interest in gaming currently to need 2 systems. I didn't want to deal with the BS selling it so I kept it as a movie player, which I was having issues with until I learned about the trick above, and also exclusives. Nothing that has come out for the system has even tempted me to pick up a game on the PS5. I'm not saying the Xbox has that either but I have more than enough that I would ever want to play.

Wizz-Art Wizz-Art

Just skimming through your post to address some of your points.

- I didn't have any issues like that installing the 1TB NvME on my PS5, luck of the draw or maybe something wasn't snapped on properly in your case.

- The DS battery, even with all the haptics and vibrations disabled, sucks balls.

- I don't know about the disappearing library icon, restore and refresh your PS5 if you can't find a way to get it back

- There's no quick shortcut way to power off, or suspend, the PS5. You have to press the home button, navigate right to the power menu and then do it like that.

- I'm also mixed on the PS5 UI, you can only pin 10 games at most to the main screen.
For point 4, some tv's connect to the PS5, so a quick shortcut could be just turn off the tv and then the ps5 Will auto suspend. Same for turning on.

Aenima

I also disabled HDMI-CEC because every time turned on my tv the PS5 would turn on and switch inputs automatically when I just wanted to watch TV. But it was ok.
I have the reverse. When i turn on my console it also turns on the TV and switches to the proper imput. But if i only turn on the TV the console stays off. I love this feauture and only found out recently.

Last edited:

adamsapple

For point 4, some tv's connect to the PS5, so a quick shortcut could be just turn off the tv and then the ps5 Will auto suspend. Same for turning on.

Yep, both Xbox and PS5 support HDMI CEC (but it's a pointless feature for me, or most folks who play on Monitors).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sounds really shitty op but a lot of bad luck.

I think my only main issue with the playstaiton eco system Is no free cloud saves.

The rest of what you had happen is bad luck I think.

Hope its all sorted now?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Just return it if you don’t like it instead of wasting your time complaining to a forum? My launch day PS5 is fine and has never given me any issues. Not sure what your dissertation is complaining about, it plays most games at 60fps, has a lovely fast SSD, has a nice controller. The exclusives are pretty good but if they’re not for you then most of them come to PC anyway a year or two later.

If you’re not happy return it and get a refund and go and play your Series X?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Now you know why mine just sits collecting dust behind the TV whilst my Series X and PC are getting the playtime. It doesnt matter how you cut it, the PS5 is a shit system right down to it's core

It seems to be winning though, fuck knows how.

VHS won over Betamax though, that's humans for you 🤷‍♂️

Forth

This is the third about forums, it's all just personal opinions.
I sold my Series X last month to buy a PS5 and I find it leagues ahead of the Series X the PS5 OS is far more streamlined and feels like a games console. The Series X feels like I'm navigating apps like a mobile phone.

Top Bottom