• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawn Mower Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My current Sears mower of 4 years has kick the bucket, bent shaft and they want $180 to fix it. Its not worth it. So I need a new mower. My lawn is a standard town lot size (i think thats 1/4 or a 1/3 of an acre?) Regardless its not huge but not itty bitty either.

So should i go with electric and spend a bit more like $400? Or a cheap gas and spend less? or a gas self propelled monster for like $350?

Mangotron

I'm not really sure how the whole cost/savings ratio plays out on the electrics, but I'd go with that or the cheap gas powered one. Provided you're talking about push mowers, the self-propelled ones are a giant pain in the ass if you have a deep-ish ditch.

Plus I find the extra weight you have to lift at the end of every row makes them more tiring to use then the lighter non-propelled ones.

SUPREME1

Banned
Father-in-law gave me a really old gas/self-propelled lawn mower once. I didn't use it much since we have a gardner hit our house about once a month and the only grass we have is a strip at the curb anyway. One day I noticed it was gone and figured it was stolen. My wife mentions it to her pops who says he had taken it back a few weeks earlier so he could give it to someone else. Lol.

Wthermans

Banned
I love my Troybilt self propelled. Bought it used for $150 4 years ago and luckily I've never had a problem with it. See if you can find a small engine repair shop and see if they have any used mowers for sale. I've found the newer mowers at Sears/Lowes/Home Depot aren't built like they were used to and tend to break quite a bit. Seems like every week I go in those stores, there's always someone returning their mower for the second or third time. Only thing that sucks about having a gas mower is trying to find 100% unleaded. Most stations have switched to ethanol blends and that shit will fuck up your mower really quick.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If I had a small yard I'd get an electric. Not to save money, but to not use gas and avoid the bad emissions most gas mowers produce. You know, for the environment.

That said, for self-propelled I'd go with Toro. They have a "walk at your own pace" system that works great, and my 9 year old Toro starts as easily now as it always did. I've just had to change the blades and a few other parts here & there.

Seanspeed

Banned
With such a small yard, I wouldn't rule out a reel mower. Much cheaper and a bit more work, but if you're good about not getting the grass get too long, its not much more difficult.

But a cheaper self-propelled gas mower if thats out of the question, definitely.

self propelled, your legs will love you.
I've also got a small yard and I live on a slant and its really not bad at all using a self-push.

My current Sears mower of 4 years has kick the bucket, bent shaft and they want $180 to fix it. Its not worth it. So I need a new mower. My lawn is a standard town lot size (i think thats 1/4 or a 1/3 of an acre?) Regardless its not huge but not itty bitty either.

So should i go with electric and spend a bit more like $400? Or a cheap gas and spend less? or a gas self propelled monster for like $350?

Honda gas self propelled. Mine is so great, never a single problem with starting it, even after sitting in the garage for the winter. First pull every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom