• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LCD Soundsystem's new album American Dream out September 1

Blader

http://www.vulture.com/2017/06/lcd-soundsystem-announce-new-album-american-dream.html

Tracklist:

oh baby
other voices
i used to
change yr mind
how do you sleep?
tonite
call the police
american dream
emotional haircut
black screen

Also, tour dates!

06-16-17 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
06-19-20-21 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
06-23-24 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
07-12 Ottawa, Ontario - RBC Bluesfest
07-14-15-16 Louisville, KY - Forecastle Festival
07-14 Chicago, IL - Pitchfork Music Festival
07-23 Byron Bay, NSW Australia - Splendour in the Grass
07-28-29-30 Yuzawa, Japan - Fuji Rock Festival
08-26 - Monterrey, Mexico - Hellow Festival
09-08-09 Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega
09-11-12 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
09-13-14 Paris, France - L'Olympia
09-16-17 Manchester, England - The Warehouse Project
09-19 Glasgow, Scotland - The Barrowland Ballroom
09-22 London, England - Alexandra Palace
10-17 Washington, DC - The Anthem
10-21-22 Atlanta, Georgia - Coca Cola Roxy Theatre
10-25 Miami, FL - James L. Knight Center Theater
10-27 New Orleans, LA - Voodoo Music + Arts Experience
10-30 Dallas, TX - The Bomb Factory
10-31 Austin, TX - Austin360 Amphitheater
11-03 Detroit, MI - Masonic Temple Theatre
11-09 St. Paul, MN - Roy Wilkins Auditorium
11-11 Broomfield, CO - 1st Bank Center
11-14 San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
11-17-18-19-20-21 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
12-02 Montréal, Québec - QC Place Bell Arena
12-03 Toronto, Ontario - Air Canada Centre
12-05-06 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
12-08 Boston, MA - Agganis Arena
12-11-12 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-14-15 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-17-18-19 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel
12-21-22-23 Brooklyn, NY - Brooklyn Steel

jacobs34

I'll probably try to see them when they come to the Twin Cities in November. Look forward to hearing the new album. Just listened to "Call The Police" this morning, good stuff.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Great release date for me. We'll have Arcade Fire in July, Queens of the Stone Age in August, and this in September. Hopefully MGMT will release theirs in October.

big ander

vinyl preorder is up and we now have the album art, which is...uh...

lcd_s.jpg

chaislip3

Read that it looked similar to the cover for David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest, which apparently James is a big fan of.

FmkOovj.jpg

Also, lengths for each track:

1. oh baby - 5:49
2. other voices - 6:43
3. i used to - 5:32
4. change yr mind - 4:57
5. how do you sleep? - 9:12
6. tonite - 5:47
7. call the police - 6:58
8. american dream - 6:06
9. emotional haircut - 5:29
10. black screen - 12:05

big ander

Hmm the DFW connection could be something. Found this quote from a dazed interview:
DD: Have you read anything good recently?
JM: I reread Infinite Jest. When I first read it, when I was 20-something, I turned my nose up at it because just before that I’d read The Recognitions, which is the blueprint for all that shit. I got snobby with Pynchon for the same reason, which you shouldn’t do. And there is stuff in Infinite Jest that is just lifted straight from The Recognitions, so I really wanted to know if that was on purpose – was it a little easter egg? Then in the twelve years since I’d read it, a lot of younger guys I knew told me they really admired it, so I thought I’d read it again. And it was really amazing at making me laugh. I was almost done with it when he died. I was actually pretty devastasted. What’s really sad is I was literally just gearing up to try and do an interview. He looks exactly like I looked at the time he wrote the book – we have really similar faces, it’s really creepy. The photo backflap looks like a photo of me from 1993. Also, he has a similar type of frustration in trying to describe things, talking in cricles, overstating things, getting embarrassed by the words coming out of his mouth and then saying something flip as a way of getting out of it. So I really wanted to meet him.

Doesn't excuse the art looking like ass.

Black screen is 12 minutes long...give it to me

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
They played Tonite when I saw them in Melbourne. That was some good shit.

LOL thats a bad cover, but pretty cool contextually now that I know what the inspiration was.

Infinite Jest is a 1996 novel by American writer David Foster Wallace. The lengthy and complex work takes place in a North American dystopia, centering on a junior tennis academy and a nearby substance-abuse recovery center. The novel touches on many topics, including addiction and recovery, suicide, family relationships, entertainment and advertising, film theory, U.S.–Canada relations (as well as Quebec separatism), and tennis.

Sounds very...LCD

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fuck, Infinite jest. Why's he gotta play with my heart like that. pre-ordered the vinyl with tote and postcard as well as the casette. I also have like 2 other Lp's coming in from my ticket purchases from their SF show.

big ander

Anyone else miss the dance punk sound?
No? In part because it's not gone?

Call the Police could fit in on sound of silver and this is happening seamlessly, from a sonic perspective. and American dream is a gorgeous ballad about realizing you and everything you've loved and hoped for is temporary that doubles as a heartfelt requiem for Alan Vega.

Both songs have elements of synth post-punk and dance and rock in them. If you want pure plain dance punk the rapture and "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" and They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top are all still extant.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm only listening to each song once, so I don't remember the others well enough to compare, but Tonite sounds real good to me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just want to check again if anyone has claimed the OT. I may start work on a little something this weekend.

BrokenBox

Loving this song and finally hyped for the album. The first two singles were okay, but this is the sort of track I expected after a long hiatus.

Top Bottom