• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lebron James Ethers Charles Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
They only lost 3 games last January, all to teams well over .500 at the time (Spurs, Warriors, Bulls).

Not quite the same as losing to basement dwellers like the Kings, Pelicans, and Mavericks over the span of a week as well as losing to really good teams earlier in the month.

But yeah, the whole thing last January resulted in the coaching change.

Thats what it was. They fired blatt, completely forgot about that.

But chuck is right though. Why moan to the media?? Go talk to griffin and Gilbert in private and stop trying to be a victim, come june KD and steph comin for that ass.

Lebron only has 2 years left before he starts lookin like Grandpa kobe. He has to win NOW, not in the future or whatever, NOW.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's what qualifies someone as being a coon?

Yeah, that's a little too easy to be labeled a coon. Someone has to do more than that, I mean come on!

Do people even realize how much money Barkley has given to HBCUs?

But chuck is right though. Why moan to the media?? Go talk to griffin and Gilbert in private and stop trying to be a victim, come june KD and steph comin for that ass.

Lebron only has 2 years left before he starts lookin like Grandpa kobe. He has to win NOW, not in the future or whatever, NOW.

This is something about the human psyche that I was never understand. Why is it when someone is talking about their own situation and how they want it to be better, that same person has to be acting like a "victim"? We all know Lebron is right in that they need a good backup point guard at the minimum.

Ronin Ray

Dan I wrote a public slave master letter and acted like LeBron was my property Gilbert. Yeah that's the guy that knows how to keep shit in house

shanafan

Lebron saying "my legacy" just shows how inflated the dude's ego is. But, this was obvious when he puts tabs over $10,000 on Instagram.

Blablurn

Lebron saying "my legacy" just shows how inflated the dude's ego is.

Professional basketball player with a lot of success talks about his legacay - after working his ass off or over 10 years.... I don't see the problem here. This has nothing to do with an inflated ego.

shanafan

Professional basketball player with a lot of success talks about his legacay - after working his ass off or over 10 years.... I don't see the problem here. This has nothing to do with an inflated ego.

If you listen to his press conferences, he says "I" and "my team" statements quite a bit. Sure he is the best player on the team, but say terms like "we" instead since it is a team you are on.

My Cavs play on TNT twice in the next week and a half.

Mon, Feb 6 Cleveland @ Washington
Thu, Feb 9 Cleveland @ Oklahoma City

Aww yiss. Should be entertaining.

bionic77

Asking for a point guard when you have you the likes of Shumpert and Dleaguers is "playing the villian". Never knew.
He has been talking shit for the past 2 weeks.

It is going to come back on him if he doesn't win in June. Thats how sports media hacks operate.

Dre3001

So barkley gave an interview today about Lebron comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwa2y6baBQ

He basically said,

"Im not upset, what he said about me is correct but it doesnt make my statement incorrect. He didnt like the message so he attacked the messenger personally. I stand by what I said. "

Then he reiterated his point and said he wont retort with personal insults. He also said a lot of young players now take the criticisms personally and label you a hater without ever seeing if the point is actually valid.

jwhit28

Lebron saying "my legacy" just shows how inflated the dude's ego is. But, this was obvious when he puts tabs over $10,000 on Instagram.

I don't like Lebron but he should be proud of his legacy. He has been the face of the NBA since he was 18 and his biggest controversy is holding a television event to announce a free agency decision that benefited Boys and Girls Club.

Fjordson

He basically said,

"Im not upset, what he said about me is correct but it doesnt make my statement incorrect. He didnt like the message so he attacked the messenger personally. I stand by what I said. "

Then he reiterated his point and said he wont retort with personal insults. He also said a lot of young players now take the criticisms personally and label you a hater without ever seeing if the point is actually valid.
The day this dude is off TV will be a great day for basketball.

rambis

Banned
He has been talking shit for the past 2 weeks.

It is going to come back on him if he doesn't win in June. Thats how sports media hacks operate.
They've been missing guards the whole year.

They were good, but Blatt wasn't the guy Lebron and possibly the other players wanted.

The Cavs rotation is far from Dleague tier and they even just got Korver on the cheap.

Felder, Liggins and Mcrae are all bottom of the barrel guards. Not sure if thats even arguable.

He basically said,

well Barkley definitely looks like the bigger person in this situation now

bionic77

They've been missing guards the whole year.

Felder, Liggins and Mcrae are all bottom of the barrel guards. Not sure if thats even arguable.
You can't have everything.

On paper they are AT LEAST the second best team in the league. A superstar can't really complain about that. It's not like he is passing to Smush Parker.

Nydius

The day this dude is off TV will be a great day for basketball.

Why? Once again, Barkley is right. Nothing LeBron said in his rant disputed anything Barkley said. Barkley made a professional, albeit meandering, analysis that LeBron is asking Dan Gilbert to go even further above and beyond and making it a public spectacle instead of handling it behind closed doors. Kenny Smith agreed.

LeBron's reaction was to wait a week and come back with personal attacks.

Gilbert can only splash around so much cash, the Cavs are already the highest payroll and highest luxury tax team in the league. Likewise, there's only so much talent to go around in the league. Instead of bitching in public with passive-aggressive comments about the team and front office, maybe LeBron should pull a Tim Duncan and take less money to free up space to bring someone in. You know, the same thing LeBron himself did in Miami. And if LeBron's the leader on the team, he needs to convince Kevin Love and Kyrie to do the same thing. LeBron complains that teams are top heavy? Well no shit, Bron. Guess who's responsible for the free agent, player driven superstar stacking that causes teams to be top heavy?

LeBron wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to make as close to max contract cash AND have a team that continually wins championships. Something has to give, no amount of personal attacks on Barkley for pointing that out will change this fact.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why? Once again, Barkley is right. Nothing LeBron said in his rant disputed anything Barkley said. Barkley made a professional, albeit meandering, analysis that LeBron is asking Dan Gilbert to go even further above and beyond and making it a public spectacle instead of handling it behind closed doors. Kenny Smith agreed.

Gilbert can only splash around so much cash, the Cavs are already the highest payroll and highest luxury tax team in the league. Likewise, there's only so much talent to go around in the league. Instead of bitching in public with passive-aggressive comments about the team and front office, maybe LeBron should pull a Tim Duncan and take less money to free up space to bring someone in. You know, the same thing LeBron himself did in Miami. And if LeBron's the leader on the team, he needs to convince Kevin Love and Kyrie to do the same thing. LeBron complains that teams are top heavy? Well no shit, Bron. Guess who's responsible for the free agent, player driven superstar stacking that causes teams to be top heavy?

LeBron wants to have both his cake and eat it too. He wants to make as close to max contract cash AND have a team that continually wins championships. Something has to give, no amount of personal attacks on Barkley for pointing that out will change this fact.

They are going to be paying his ass 33.2mil next year and 35.6mil the following. Next year, they are still stuck with all the overpriced talent at 125mil... with dropping some 5 or 6 of the lower end players. Cavs are stuck with a sinker and the only godsend is them being in the East.

bionic77

Doesn't sound like someone that got tethered to me.

There is always going to be people that defend LeBron because he's good, but point still remains, dude whines alot. LeBron should act like he wants to be treated.
Eh.

Charles is a public figure and opens himself up to criticism. Same is true of LeBron.

LeBron probably went too personal but he is allowed to complain about the talent on his team (whether that is wise is another question), that is definitely fair game for Chuck to criticize and Bron is allowed to respond to said criticism.

Fjordson

LeBron wants to have both his cake and eat it too. He wants to make as close to max contract cash AND have a team that continually wins championships. Something has to give, no amount of personal attacks on Barkley for pointing that out will change this fact.
I disagree with almost all of that, but that's irrelevant. Chuck vs. Bron is a small spat in the grand scheme of things that I frankly don't care much about. What matters is that he's a worthless analyst who is completely out of touch with the modern game. And that's just the basketball side of things. When TNT tries to touch on political or social issues it's even more of a disaster. He's the worst in just about every way.

I know people who tune in just to laugh at him and some of the antics on TNT, knowing that most of what's said on Inside the NBA makes little sense. That I sort of get. But the thought of casual fans tuning into TNT looking for actual basketball insight is frightening.

This is a little off-topic admittedly so I'll leave it at this, but I never like to squander an opportunity to trash Barkeley.

pislit

this lebron hate is absurd, specially because y'all attacking his character. he got no history of anything not just dumb but legally ehhh. remember kobe's parking lot tirade? rape case? magic announcing he's not gay after his HIV and received a standing ovation? lebron is being lynched for this? vince carter faked an injury to get traded LOL

he endorsed hillary when most of the old gen basketball players you all like kept mum, and / or closet trump supporters.

now if the criticism is "lebron should play better defense, get to the foul line more, post it up more. etc. etc." then it is fair.

all of the superstars had made worse statements regarding their team TO THE MEDIA.

In fact, Charles Barkley coughed "pussy" to his producer on TNT ON AIR.

PLEASE.

and im not even a lebron fan. LOL.

rambis

Banned
You can't have everything.

On paper they are AT LEAST the second best team in the league. A superstar can't really complain about that. It's not like he is passing to Smush Parker.
You're telling the best player in the league, after all the injuries and player movements this season to ignore their abysmal guard rotation and their free roster spot because they are a lock for second place? I mean who the fuck was there to tell GS that they shouldnt manuever to get KD because" well you cant have everything" and are" at least second place" already?

bionic77

You're telling the best player in the league, after all the injuries and player movements this season to ignore their abysmal guard rotation and their free roster spot because they are a lock for second place? I mean who the fuck was there to tell GS that they shouldnt manuever to get KD because" well you cant have everything" and are" at least second place" already?
You could argue that a guy who says he is the best player of all time should be able to win with the roster that the Cavs have.

You can't have it both ways.

And if you open your mouth the way LeBron did against his own team you have to be prepared for some people who will
not agree with said decision.

Zhengi

Eh.

Charles is a public figure and opens himself up to criticism. Same is true of LeBron.

LeBron probably went too personal but he is allowed to complain about the talent on his team (whether that is wise is another question), that is definitely fair game for Chuck to criticize and Bron is allowed to respond to said criticism.

Except Lebron didn't...?

There's a new sheriff in town

Harden.png

rambis

Banned
You could argue that a guy who says he is the best player of all time should be able to win with the roster that the Cavs have.

You can't have it both ways.

And if you open your mouth the way LeBron did against his own team you have to be prepared for some people who will
not agree with said decision.
The roster they have isnt even fully healthy and they still have a free spot. The 73 win Warriors just added Kevin fucking Durant. How the fuck is he having it both ways by suggesting to at least fill their vacant spot?

bionic77

The roster they have isnt even fully healthy and they still have a free spot. The 73 win Warriors just added Kevin fucking Durant. How the fuck is he having it both ways by suggesting to at least fill their vacant spot?
If you are the best player in the league and want to be considered the best of all time you should be able to win a finals with the Cavs roster. Which I believe he already did.

Let someone else make those comments. If LeBron says it rightfully opens himself up to criticism.

Marz

Basketball is entertainment. At the end of the day I tune in to the NBA more than college for all of the entertaining factors: high level basketball, matchups, personalities etc.

I like people like Chuck who say whats on their mind even if its wrong.

If I was Lebron though I wouldnt stress out so much over some regular season losses I would focus on resting for the postseason. Golden State is going to get beat up by the Spurs out West so Cleveland being fresher could make all the difference in a hypothetical third meeting between the 2 teams.

Edit: Lebron hit a 3 with 3 mins left to tie the game in the first place so chill with that "Cavs only won because of Kyrie" nonsense.

Spinluck

well Barkley definitely looks like the bigger person in this situation now

Lol.

He has no choice but to respond this way.

LeBron didn't call him anything other than a hater. All that stuff about the gambling and Barkley being a clown is out there as public knowledge. LeBron also called out the whole notion that players weren't friends back in the day, or whatever bullshit that was.

If he wants to take "hater" personal then so be it.

LeBron does things to bring attention to himself. But to his credit it he seems like a good dude. No player goes under more scrutiny, but he's handled himself pretty well all his career. There is literally no dirt on the guy, and I think that's great. Especially for a black athlete. All the shit talk you can throw at him will likely only have to do with basketball.

rambis

Banned
Cavs would be up with that kyrie 3 even if iggy was not blocked. the fact is that kyrie made the shot to give them the lead.
How do you even know they go with that play if AI scores? A quick iso off a block, tied up is completely different from being down 2 with the ability to inbound the ball.
If you are the best player in the league and want to be considered the best of all time you should be able to win a finals with the Cavs roster. Which I believe he already did.

Let someone else make those comments. If LeBron says it rightfully opens himself up to criticism.
This stuff doesnt exist in a vacuum. It does matter who you are facing off against in the finals. You would think GS had a quiet offseason looking at some of the logic here.

He basically said,

This is why the thread title is hilairous. No one is ever going to "ether" Chuck, he doesn't take things to seriously.

Lebron is the only one coming out of this looking like a salty child. Inside the NBA is going to be hilarious on Thursday.

As a player I think LeBron already put himself in the top 5 with the ceiling of as high as #2. For me personally if he wins another title or not I will never put him above Jordan as well as never winning another wouldn't drop him out of top 5.

As far as CB comments are conceren it's a different generation / era compared to when he played and it's like comparing apple to oranges. There's no point, and half the shit Charles says are stuff he comes up with on the fly without no real thought.

LeBron has already proven everything he needed. His team having a shitty month at the end tail of his career is really nothing surprising or newsworthy. They had a shitty month so what lol. Chances are they won't repeat and everyone kind of knew that going into the season.

TL:DR Charles saying shit just to say shit and Lebron finally responded. Probably should of just ignored it like most of his career.

since you want more quotes

“They are the only thing in the ghetto between this place being the wild, wild west. So this notion that cops are out there just killing black men is ridiculous and I hate that narrative coming out of this entire situation.”

in the Eric Garner case as well. Charles Barkley once again agreed with a controversial decision. “I think that cops were trying to arrest him and they got a little aggressive,”

“I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I’d work for the Klan.” I don't care if he thinks its a joke or not

He's just like Stephen A Smith.
Again, as bad as you think his quotes are, does not qualify Barkley as a coon(Stephen A. Smith either).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom