• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lebron/jordan basketball card sells for $300,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
You think this was a good collection for Upper Deck to put out? To non-collectors like me it just seems to reinforce the stereotype that sports collectors are brainless speculators.

Joe

even though it was a very limited run, each pack is $500. they might not have turned a great profit but they definitely made up for it with all the free word of mouth they are getting. they also created some of the most sought after collectibles in the entire industry with this series.

Shinobi

The value of that card is gonna tumble through the floor like an anvil if the play of Lebron and Team USA is any indication of their Olympic fate.

Joe

if lebron stays healthy during his career there's no reason for this card to only increase in value. im not sure what the value of this card is, its probably not $300,000 but to someone it was worth that much.

during his prime griffey's rookie card graded absolutely mint was near or at $1,000. you could probably buy that same card now for $250.

Shinobi

Oh I'm not saying Bron isn't gonna have a great career. But if the two games he played this week is repeated in Athens (along with the results), and the same auction was done a month from now, I doubt the card fetches half of it's asking price. The market can be pretty fickle.

bjork

I remember going to a card shop and seeing "Collector's Choice" packs for $1.29, while my beloved 89 Fleer packs were a mere sixty cents. Then Topps put out Stadium Clubs, and I got out of card collecting... glad I did, $500 a pack? Sheesh.

Takuan

Some people have too much money. That card couldn't be designed any uglier. I know that's not the point, but still, you'd think the best cards would be particularly nice.

I can't say I'm innocent of similar splurging though, as I wasted a lot of cash when the Vince Carter hype was at its peak trying to secure one of his rookie cards. After buying some of the cheaper singles, I bought a couple of boxes of the sets that had the ones I wanted and came up empty. Of course, it's all worthless now... these two were my most sought-after VC rookies:

zzcarterudgem10.jpg

97.jpg

At the time, they went for $40-50 US. Now, they're going for $2-5 on eBay. Lesson learned :p

Edit: LOL, gem mint professionally graded card for $19 buy-it-now. In '00 that would've gone for $200+ easily.
Sigh...

Edit #2: This one was really nice too:
bigpost-191.jpg

Shinobi

Heh, VC was who I had in mind when talking about the devaluation of a card. He's hardly the only one though...Grant Hill's card is probably worth less than used soap.

Boomer

Penny Hardaway does.

I once had a Kobe Topps Chrome rookie, worth $20 at the time. I sold it for $18, the next month the value goes to $30. Month after that, $50, then $80, then $100. Within a few months it was worth $400 frickin dollars.

Giving Lebron number 23 is an insult to Jordan.

Espacially calling him the king. Sure he's an awesome prospect... but he hasn't turn the world of basketball upside down.

Joe

i bought a box of baseball cards once, i think it was 96 select. well there's one "artists proof" per box. well i ended up getting a griffey artist proof which was worth around $150. the thing is, i had no idea. i knew it had a nice value but i didnt think it was that much. so i brought it to the card shop and i ask the guy if he wants to buy/trade it (stupid me) and the freakin guy doesn't even let me know the real value and says he'll trade me an autographed felix potvin hockey puck for it. i guess im the stupid one for taking it, but he ripped me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom