• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Four Swords - Gamespot review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/zeldafourswords/review.html

"It's not too surprising that it took Nintendo developing a game itself for the whole connectivity idea to really crystallize. The keys to the success of this game is that the game is inherently really good, with or without the hardware novelty. But, to be fair, if you only play Four Swords Adventures by yourself, you won't be getting the full experience. If you've been waiting for a truly compelling reason to invest in a GameCube-to-GBA link cable, this is probably it."

evil ways

I think I'll be skipping this one, $50 doesn't sound that good to me for what it's offering since I cannot have multiplayer sessions, plus in August, King of Colosseum 2 beckons to me.

Bebpo

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Nice one Nintendo.
No matter how great this game is,
Without a real Single player, control 1 character Zelda Hyrule Adventure,
My wallet stays closed.

-1 Nintendo

Errr...that's like saying you won't buy Street Fighter because it's 2-player.

To get the most out of any game you will need to have X amount of players (x being the most allowed in the game). That's all GS is saying.

AniHawk

Got it! Also have everything for just anyone who wants to come over and play.

*Hank Hill voice* Thank you, Jesus.

Bebpo

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
That's not what they are saying.
That's just your interpretation of what they are saying.

It was quoted in plain english.

I don't see any similarity between Zelda and Street Fighter 2.
You could say that for any game that allows multiplayer with that logic.

The game does have a voting system of light and dark.
Who are you going to vote for with 2 players ? Your opponent ?
It works best with 4 players is what they are saying 'BEST'.

I want a Zelda that works best with 1 PLAYER. 'BEST'.

...and you are completely missing my point because yes my logic is that it works with any game that allows multiplayer.

If I was writing a review for Street Fighter 2 I would say it works 'BEST' in 2p because the AI is retarded and it's just not as much fun to play the cpu. That doesn't mean the game isn't a good game in 1p, it just means to get the most out of the game you would need 'TWO' people.

The only games that "work best with 1 PLAYER" are guess what? 1 PLAYER games! ^^;;

jarrod

Banned
I'm not buying it, even if it is Zelda. I want a full blown ARPG, not a level based multiplayer puzzle game. :/

Mrbob

bomb bomb gaeffers cry

wariodog.gif

*edit Evil ways this is awesome!

kbvol2.gif

Do you have any more?

To all you doubters, here's a suggestion:

Rent the game and play single player. You probably won't beat it, but you should be able to get an idea of what the game is all about. Then take the fun of playing it alone (which is akin to the fun of playing LttP alone) and multiply it times four. That's what multiplayer is like. Then you can decide whether multiplayer Zelda is a good thing or not.

evil ways

Mrbob said:
bomb bomb gaeffers cry

wariodog.gif

*edit Evil ways this is awesome!

kbvol2.gif

Do you have any more?

I'm afraid not, I "stole" it from someone at another forum. I just edited it a bit and sped it up. I do have an anime Bride wallpaper.

Belfast

Still wish there were options for these sorts of games to play multiplayer using the standard GC controllers. Nintendo can keep their games and I'll keep my money.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It's frustrating reading about this game. I really want to play it, but I can't play it properly, as in multiplayer. After all, I can't force my friends to buy GBA's, and I sure as hell ain't buying four GBA's just to play this game. GARRGAGRH

This connectivity thing really put you in a position you can't do much about on your own.
:(

Fifty

Kiriku said:
It's frustrating reading about this game. I really want to play it, but I can't play it properly, as in multiplayer. After all, I can't force my friends to buy GBA's, and I sure as hell ain't buying four GBA's just to play this game. GARRGAGRH

This connectivity thing really put you in a position you can't do much about on your own.
:(

Yeah. It's a real bummer. Since none of my friends are really into gaming, and of course that means they don't have GBAs :( I can't experience connectivity. If only these games were just online :(

AniHawk

I'm at the end of the first world, and it feels like an 8.0 so far. Only playing with another person. Definitely would be better if there were 2 other people playing (tried to get my dad into it, but he wouldn't bite). It's a lot more fun when you can vote people as the most annoying or the most helpful.

Also fun to just pick on one guy and get them pissed off..

Coen

I still don't get why (offline) multiplayer-focused games always get criticized for having a bad (or in this case: decent) singleplayer mode, yet singleplayer games (and online multiplayer games) with a horrible multiplayer mode don't get the same treatement. I agree that the demands for experiencing Four Swords Adventures a pretty high, but I feel reviewers shouldn't take this into account when they're grading a game. The reviewer should let the player decide if they're willing to meet those demands. He should focus on the experience as it is supposed to be played.

I do feel reviewers apply double standards. On one hand, you've got games like Unreal Tournament. The game gets great scores, but it's only fun online, the way it was meant to be played. Yet games like Four Swords Adventures, Mario Party and Wario Ware get nothing but remarks that it's not so great in single player and they get judged by that. I know obtaining four controllers or, even worse, four GBAs is a lot more difficult than having a broadband connection, but I still feel it's not up to the reviewer to degrade a game, based on those demands.

Alcibiades

Coen said:
I still don't get why (offline) multiplayer-focused games always get criticized for having a bad (or in this case: decent) singleplayer mode, yet singleplayer games (and online multiplayer games) with a horrible multiplayer mode don't get the same treatement. I agree that the demands for experiencing Four Swords Adventures a pretty high, but I feel reviewers shouldn't take this into account when they're grading a game. The reviewer should let the player decide if they're willing to meet those demands. He should focus on the experience as it is supposed to be played.

I do feel reviewers apply double standards. On one hand, you've got games like Unreal Tournament. The game gets great scores, but it's only fun online, the way it was meant to be played. Yet games like Four Swords Adventures, Mario Party and Wario Ware get nothing but remarks that it's not so great in single player and they get judged by that. I know obtaining four controllers or, even worse, four GBAs is a lot more difficult than having a broadband connection, but I still feel it's not up to the reviewer to degrade a game, based on those demands.

yeah, basically they should review it how they feel the game deserved the way they played it, and then say at the end of the review to take of 1 or 2 points depending on if they have GBA and/or friends or whatever requirements people might not have...

It shouldn't cut into the main score though...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just be glad that you'll finally see an end to connectivity (or connectiity in it's current form)
when the DS launches. I'd imagine that's what first sparked the 2 screen, 2D/3D feature.
Now you've got everything you need in one unit. If the Revolution has screens on it's controllers (and if I were a betting man, i would bet it will) everything's gravy.

Top Bottom