• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s discuss PS now streaming capabilities

Please no discussion about the subpar game selection.

so in June like a retard I accidentally
Bought a year of ps now thinking it was ps plus and redeemed the code.
plus side is it was only£30 so nothing to worry about.

anyway I’ve been trying different games using the streaming service and I must say I’m impressed. Zero input lag.

I played some random warhammer strategy game that looked like shit maybe because it wasn’t a big game or compression due to streaming. However it felt like i was playing locally.

I’ve tried grim fanny dingo that puzzle skeleton game and again zero input lag.
Anyone had any good recent experiences with it? I tried it years ago and it was shit.

not sure how close I am to a data centre But I have a 300/30 fibre connection.

Please no discussion about the subpar game selection.

so in June like a retard I accidentally
Bought a year of ps now thinking it was ps plus and redeemed the code.
plus side is it was only£30 so nothing to worry about.

anyway I’ve been trying different games using the streaming service and I must say I’m impressed. Zero input lag.

I played some random warhammer strategy game that looked like shit maybe because it wasn’t a big game or compression due to streaming. However it felt like i was playing locally.

I’ve tried grim fanny dingo that puzzle skeleton game and again zero input lag.
Anyone had any good recent experiences with it? I tried it years ago and it was shit.

not sure how close I am to a data centre But I have a 300/30 fibre connection.
I've never personally used it. But, this is my impression of it based on what people on here have said, I assume these people have put this service through its paces:

PS Now
Extreme lag, its not even worth playing anything cause it's unplayable
Game library is shit, nothing there to play at all and the amount of games is less than what is on GamePass
You can't download the game, you can only stream the game
Monthly cost for the service is Extremely over priced

I'm not sure If any of this is true, but this is what has been regurgitated. I've always been interested in the service, but like the launch of the Xbox One the narrative around it is pretty negative.

Banned
I always love when people say it has no input lag, that's when you know what kind of player you have before you.

PSnow is among the worst when it comes to lag. the best ever recorded lag test, under extremely good conditions (connected through cable and all other devices disconnected from the router) the best it has ever been recorded is 100ms with spikes to 150ms.

that's down to their transfer codec not your connection, we know this because Remote Play similarly also has an all-time lowest recorded input latency at best case scenario tests of about 100ms, and it uses the same transfer tech, which is worse than any competitor including the very hastely patched in remote play from Xbox to PC Microsoft introduced a few years ago, which sits at around 50ms lag with lows of 40ms

as a comparison, a good TV with low lag is at around 10ms to 20ms of additional lag, anything above is considered bad and 10ms is becoming the new standard right now.

NOW, if you play on a TV you will of course also have the additional lag of said TV, on a PC monitor at least that is somewhat minimized

EDIT: apparently they recently improved the lag and the now lowest recorded is about 70 to 80ms.

that's still white a bit worse than every competition with Stadia bein as low as 40 to 50ms and Geforce Now also hanging at 40ms and below... not sure about xCloud which is still in beta tho, so we'll see

Last edited:

Amiga

I've never personally used it. But, this is my impression of it based on what people on here have said, I assume these people have put this service through its paces:

PS Now
Game library is shit, nothing there to play at all and the amount of games is less than what is on GamePass

I'm not sure If any of this is true, but this is what has been regurgitated. I've always been interested in the service, but like the launch of the Xbox One the narrative around it is pretty negative.

there are many AAA PS4 games you can download. just check the store. there is a tab specifically for downloadable games.

The PSNow streaming is so good in terms of responsiveness because of it's compression and cap at 720p. Still not good for me because I have shitty internet but such is life.

I was honestly pretty impressed with the responsiveness when I played at a friend's house

It’s honestly improved so much since the beta days, but still doesn’t hold a candle to the responsiveness of GeForce Now. Hopefully they build on the service with PS5 and improve the lag.

Also, the game selection isn’t crap. I played through control, Doom, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and replayed a bit of Bloodborne with my sub recently.

Rossco EZ

PS Now

i never experienced extreme lag, no lag at all actually. i have 350mb download speeds though so maybe that has something to do with it idk.

personally not used the service in a while but just had a quick glance at some games on there.. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Control, Just Cause 4, The Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Metro Exodus, Hello Neighbor, Street Fighter V, Watch Dogs 2.
there’s like 800 games on there.
you can download games (PS4 games only i believe) and it’s £8.99 here in the UK.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
PSNow has really improved over the past year. They added an option for GPU Scaling and Hardware Acceleration that I feel really improved latency. It's hard to say since they don't offer a test for that. For Geforce Now I get around 25ms latency to the closest server and 1080p/60fps or 720p/120fps. PSNow is 720p and not the greatest picture quality. I'd say it's about the responsiveness of xCloud that comes over Wi-Fi on the my phone, while PSNow and Geforce Now are coming over ethernet. Depends on the game, but I felt it was a decent way to play UC4, Spider-Man, and a few other exclusives without shelling out substantial cash.

Here's a video I made of Spider-Man via PSNow, streamed at 720p and captured at 1440p. Played quite well, imo...

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I use PSNOW all the time no joke. I played through Infamous, Infamous 2, and some Motosport.

If I try out a PS4 game and like it I download those. I also have a year.

The 720P streaming is going to be bumped up. Hardwiring is a must for the best experience.

PS Now

I use PS Now and these points are mostly refutable as most of these complaints are very old which Sony have fixed since:

-I regularly stream PS3 games on Now and the stream quality is good. Yes there is a small amount of lag but for the most part it doesn't get in the way of gameplay at all except for the occasional spike. Plus, PS3 games actually look very good streamed. And I live in the middle of the Pacific in a remote Hawaiian island. I'm sure it's much better for people living in urban areas.

-Game library is by no means what I would call shit. Are they giving away Sony exclusives Day 1? No. Are there a lot of AAA games on the service, with new ones added each month? Yes. Right now some of the recently added featured games include Watch Dogs 2/Metro Exodus/Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which are good quality titles. Spiderman, God of War and Horizon were were all featured on the service not too long ago. Besides this, there are over a 1000 PS3+PS2+PS4 titles in the catalog that you can try out, and I almost never run out of something worth playing. The service is very good if you want to try games that you otherwise wouldn't have.

-You can download all PS4 and PS2 titles. Only PS3 titles have to be streamed for obvious reasons.

-Service costs $60 for a year and $10 if you sub monthly. These prices are very reasonable and competitive. I got my 1 year for $40 and it's on offer relatively regularly.

Last edited:
Thank Microsoft for that.

Sony will bring its image sensors over so Microsoft can infuse its Azure-powered AI into them, and Microsoft will let Sony experiment with its Azure servers to host services like PlayStation Now and its retinue of online content on.

despite the tittle the article doesnt mention in which way MS suposedly host the service, sony uses its own hardware for psnow servers they have custom board with 8 ps3 for example and do similar for PS4,
other than the login system and some DB services I dont see how azure with its virtual machines can do the work necessary to run the service different than other data centers sony uses in fact it says

"As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions.

"By integrating Sony's cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft's Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony's semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft's advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences."

sony is helping MS AI projects with its image sensors and Ms let sony experiment with azure AI services but there is no explanation how or even if PSnow is supposedly being hosted there it seems they just jump to that conclusion without addressing how PSnow works, sony may have a data base service or some AI systems but running the games and streaming them seems unlikely

do you have another source that explain how azure collaborates to the PSnow service?

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

PS Now

If your wanting to try it everyone gets a free week. Its in the store.

Jtibh

Banned
Many times i am unable to stream. Cant connect.
Have to restart but still sometimes that doesnt fix the problem.
Once i had que issues.

So i always resort to download.

But when it works it works fine.
Still rather download than stream as darker games are soo dark i cant see shit.

Also lot of macroblocking at fast paced action parts.

I bought it on sale for a year and it already paid off for me by playing spiderman and control and some smaller titles.

Jtibh

Banned
You

PS Now

You can download all ps2 and ps4 games.
No lag reported on my end but connection issues.

Unless you are on pc.

Library is weak but its getting better every month.

I got one year for 40 bucks so its cheap. Not as cheap as scaming xbox with the 1 dollar trial for years.

GHG

Alright sonyboys, the stage you're currently in is "denial"

There are four more stages left, you're almost there!

I know you can do it!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Never understood the folk that say the game selection is bad myself, I mean there's like 650+ games on the service with a variety GamePass can only dream of 🤷‍♂️

Streaming ain't so bad, never really had any problems with it (though the PC app can be buggy sometimes) The odd bout of latency is a small price to pay to enjoy some Atelier Rorona at work. Sony could do with upgrading the streaming quality tho, hasn't improved much since the beta I tried several years back

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video game streaming, again, isn’t doing much. It’s remarkable that it’s a thing

Agent X

I've been a subscriber for about 4½ years. The streaming quality has dramatically improved since 2016. The early days had a lot more artifacting, as well as many more instances of hiccups and freezes.

The most noticeable jump in streaming quality came around the middle of 2017. That was when they first introduced PS4 games onto the service. This was also the time they dropped PS Now access from PS3, PS Vita, PSTV, smart TVs, and smart Blu-ray players, presumably because they couldn't support the newer video codecs (or Sony just didn't want to bother upgrading the clients).

I also have a membership to Stadia Pro. Comparing the two, Stadia has better image quality, with 1080p video for Stadia on my PC, vs. 720p for PS Now. Other than that, the control responsiveness and apparent latency seem about equal. Both services exhibit video stutters on rare occurrences, again about equally between the two.

The next step up for PS Now will be to match or exceed some of Stadia's advantages, by offering 1080p or better video, and enabling access on a wider variety of devices. The 720p limitation is due to having PS3 and PS4 hardware on the back end of the service. Once Sony begins installing PS5 hardware into PS Now, they should be able to stream at least the PS4 games and PS2 games (and maybe PS3 games, too?) at 1080p or higher.

Freeman

Banned
-Change PSNow so it becomes just a fee you play if you want to stream your games.
-Add PS3 BC functionality to PS5.
-Convert PS+ to a library rental service (like PSNow is now but without the streaming functionality).
-Add an option to pay less if you really just want to play online (ideally wouldn't even exist, but I doubt they'll give up on it)

Mixing a bunch of services together just complicates things, streaming is holding PSNow from expanding for a long time now, keep them separate and simple.

Streaming is an alternative to buying hardware not to buying games (the GeforceNow model, the only one that is sustainable and fair for everyone).

Last edited:
i never experienced extreme lag, no lag at all actually. i have 350mb download speeds though so maybe that has something to do with it idk.

personally not used the service in a while but just had a quick glance at some games on there.. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Control, Just Cause 4, The Evil Within 2, Dishonored 2, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Metro Exodus, Hello Neighbor, Street Fighter V, Watch Dogs 2.
there’s like 800 games on there.
you can download games (PS4 games only i believe) and it’s £8.99 here in the UK.
Whoa... wait, so all those PS4 games are on there?!?! and they're downloadable?!?! WTF is the big complaint about PS Now? Is it just the streaming? I feel like i've been missing out.

Yup! and PS2 games too.
Cool! Is most of the complaints from people who stream only and those who used the service when it sucked?!?! If you can download the games... no lag, unless you're trying to only play PS3 games.

Edit: Above post seems like a troll/fanboy, thanks for the input, not really worth anything tho.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

It's pretty good if you have a decent internet connection. Like other people have said, many games can be downloaded and played with minimal internet activity. The ones that need to be streamed are PS3 games.

Top Bottom