• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal weapon tv series - damon wayans announces he's quitting the show because he's "too old"

Akuza89

Damon Wayans has said he is leaving Lethal Weapon, claiming he feels ‘too old’ to work the hectic schedule.

The actor plans to finish his work on season three and then he’s off, but admits that Fox might not be on board with the idea.

Quoting his Lethal Weapon character Roger Murtaugh, Damon told Electronic Urban Report: ‘I’m going to be quitting the show in December after we finish the initial 13, so I don’t really know what they’re planning, but that’s what I’m planning.

‘I’m a 58-year-old diabetic and I’m working 16-hour days…Murtaugh said, “too old for this”.’

He added that he was planning on treading the boards on stage to ‘try and find my smile again’

Wayans went on : ‘This has been very hard, especially last week. My mother had surgery, my daughter had surgery and I had to look them both in the eye and go, “I can’t be there.”

‘It’s hard for me to play this loving, supportive father, husband and friend on TV and be the guy in life that’s telling everybody, “I can’t, I’ve got to work”.’

He said he would give Fox enough time to find a replacement for him on the show.

Wayans has starred in the TV series based on the classic film since it began in 2016 in the role originally played by Donald Glover.

Actor Clayne Crawford starred opposite him as Martin Riggs, Mel Gibson’s character in the film, however he was sacked by Fox due to alleged on-set behaviour.

Seann William Scott joined the show in season three as a new character to replace to Crawford.

Crawford recently spoke out about his being axed, and revealed he had to attend anger management after an on set outburst.

He previously admitted that he had been reprimanded while on set for the show, citing ‘dangerous work conditions’ as reasons behind the outburst.

Dana Walden, the CEO of the Fox Television Group, defended the decision to axe Clayne at the channel’s Upfront presentation earlier this year.

Speaking to TVLine in the US, Dana said: ‘Our partners at Warner Bros. came to us about three weeks ago to tell us that they could not deliver Lethal Weapon as we’ve known it, that there were some real challenges in the cast.’

‘[They] thought long and hard about it,’ she said.

‘I know that was not their first choice but ultimately these were the circumstances that they could offer us the show.’

Source

To be honest, I thought the show was great season 1 and 2 but then Crawford being fired then Sean William Scott no replacing him as the character but being some one new I thought was a load of crap.

But I watched a podcast that had Crawford on it explaining what had happened, that damon didn't actually like the show from day 1, that he used to act like a child during stuff, he explains about these alleged "incidents" but it all makes damon sound like a dick. I'll find the podcast and attach it to the post.

However, I think damon has been waiting for a reason to leave the show if all what Crawford has been saying is true, he's now trying to jump ship from the show before it sinks, but knows he can't as he is contracted for season 3.

tkscz

All this shit only does is make me glad I never wanted to be an actor. God it sounds like a shitty job, regardless of pay (if you even make it that far). Still, if he was a dick on set because he didn't want to do it, then it does sound like he was trying to get fired and I can see why Fox wouldn't fire him. He may not be as popular as he use to be, but Damon Wayans can still pull in an audience.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
My initial reply was going to be something along the lines of "why do the Wayans brothers still get work..." but after reading this, he seems like a completely genuine dude and he seems to be going about this planned exit very fairly to everyone involved.

Kudos to him for being a good guy.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
he missed the chance to say "too old for this shit". maybe he said it and the reporter left it out.

dude is quitting in order to spend more time w his family. got to respect that. family first.

fwiw i saw the first couple episodes of this show. it was actually really good! certainly not a waste of time like that MacGuyver reboot.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Jesus Christ. So first he makes them fire Crawford and then he himself quits? Such a dick move. If he was feeling like this he should have been the one quiting. FOX should just ressurect Riggs now :D

TheZink

I actually really like this show and was pissed when they got rid of Riggs. Actually the new season has been pretty good and am disappointed it will end. If you like this the new Magnum PI feels pretty similar if you are looking for a substitute show.

wvnative

This drama has been one of the more tragic things I've witnessed in the tv world. Everything from Clayne's side of the story is true. I have no idea how the folks at WB made the decisions they made.

This was my favorite show on TV for the first two seasons.

I actually really like this show and was pissed when they got rid of Riggs. Actually the new season has been pretty good and am disappointed it will end. If you like this the new Magnum PI feels pretty similar if you are looking for a substitute show.

SWS is all right but the show has definitely made a tonal shift from S1 and S2. I just don't know how they couldn't make it work when the show was a success.

Top Bottom