• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LET'S READ: Game of Thrones || *NO SPOILERS* || First time readers thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Finished Catylin II and its pretty awsome how much stuff from latter seasons are referenced in the first few chapters of the first book. Its also weird that I'm enjoying this first part of the book so much more than the first episode of the first seaon, honestly if the twist of bran being pushed out the window at the closing of the first episode never had happened I probably wouldn't have continued watching. I guess it really helps that I already know these characters.

Also Jon Snow being much less annoying in the books is great as well, but its wierd realizing how young alot of these characters are in the book.

bengraven

As fantastic as the sets on the show are, and they're great especially in later seasons, I think GRRM paints an even more beautiful setting in your head - even if you're not that creative. Describing the sights and smells and sounds of the world that are missing from the show help too. Or the way places make people feel - whether it's Cat feeling creeped out by the godswood or the haunted feeling in the bones of the NWmen in the Haunted Forest or Bran nearly falling several times before he finally does.

I think it kind of is.

In that it's kind of difficult to get actors and probably legally really oddly gray area. That's why Margaery didn't have any nudity with Tommen this year. They'd have to do a lot more of that which would then kind of make the impact of the scenes a little bit different.

Not that they couldn't do it, it just might change a lot of the dynamics. Actually seeing the sex between Drogo and Dany had quite a bit of impact and if they had an actress who was really like 13... yeah, there's no way they'd do that. That would also be insanely risky for the first season of a show that they didn't know would be as big as it ended up being.

I see your point.

Just Finished Catylin II and its pretty awsome how much stuff from latter seasons are referenced in the first few chapters of the first book. Its also weird that I'm enjoying this first part of the book so much more than the first episode of the first seaon, honestly if the twist of bran being pushed out the window at the closing of the first episode never had happened I probably wouldn't have continued watching. I guess it really helps that I already know these characters.

Also Jon Snow being much less annoying in the books is great as well, but its wierd realizing how young alot of these characters are in the book.

I noticed some foreshadowing of another event that took place recently in the show in one of the chapters from the next set, but I'll refrain from discussing it until next week.

I'm also not sure why, but the story flows a lot better in the book. I tried to rewatch the show last year from season 1, and I couldn't get the momentum going and stopped at the second episode. I think I may be more inclined to continue after this reading.

I had also forgotten that there was a bromance between Jon and Tyrion that they establish in Jon I, then expand on a bit later. It makes me sad that (immediate future spoiler)
they end up never seeing each other again.

As fantastic as the sets on the show are, and they're great especially in later seasons, I think GRRM paints an even more beautiful setting in your head - even if you're not that creative. Describing the sights and smells and sounds of the world that are missing from the show help too. Or the way places make people feel - whether it's Cat feeling creeped out by the godswood or the haunted feeling in the bones of the NWmen in the Haunted Forest or Bran nearly falling several times before he finally does.

have you seen the painting of the iron throne in the ice & fire guide? really makes a mockery of the show's version.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this week's chapters. Sasha and Matt Lange playing quietly in the background go along quite well with the reading.

Anyway, the material has been very good thus far.

El Daniel

Yeah, don't make the mistake I made and let the tv show hold you back. When I read the books 2 years ago right after I saw the third season I saw almost everything like the tv show in my head.

Like the throneroom in the show looks like this:

SLSRLAh.jpg

While GRRM wants you to see it more like this:

mokeyjoe

have you seen the painting of the iron throne in the ice & fire guide? really makes a mockery of the show's version.

Cool. But I think one thing that made the show so popular is the somewhat 'realistic' medieval feel it has. Of course with a book you can imagine it any way you like. Rest assured by the time I get to Dorne I'll be be the leaving the show's depiction behind. No budget constraints in my head, lol.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It must be fascinating to be a first time reader after watching 5 seasons of a TV show.

It's certainly been revealing.

As in, revealing how much D&D changed/ommitted.

mokeyjoe

It's certainly been revealing.

As in, revealing how much D&D changed/ommitted.

The changes aren't particularly major until book 3, I'm finding. But i haven't found any changes yet I particularly disagree with. I won't spoil stuff as I know I'm way ahead, but overall I think what works for the show, works for the show, and what works for the book works for the book. The thing I most like is all the backstory and lore, I think it adds to the experience of both. As long as the show remains faithful to that it can do what it likes plot-wise IMO.

RDreamer

The changes aren't particularly major until book 3, I'm finding. But i haven't found any changes yet I particularly disagree with. I won't spoil stuff as I know I'm way ahead, but overall I think what works for the show, works for the show, and what works for the book works for the book. The thing I most like is all the backstory and lore, I think it adds to the experience of both. As long as the show remains faithful to that it can do what it likes plot-wise IMO.

Agreed. I'm not finished with the first book, but really so far I think the first season is a pretty damned magnificent television retelling. Yes there's some changes/omissions, but they make a lot of sense considering the medium.

bengraven

2d0mev2.jpg

Week 2- Dreams of Summer

And now you know why the books are so addicting. If it's your first time experiencing the story, you're seeing the trademark chapter ending cliffhangers, the new approach to classic chivalry, and his broad world building and unique characterizations. If you're reading the first time after having watched the show, you're seeing a much denser story with more motivations, though maybe your characters are slightly different than you remember. Colder, like winter.

AGOT 11: Jon II - Jon says goodbye to his family.
AGOT 12: Daenerys II - Daenerys weds.
AGOT 13: Eddard II - Eddard and Bobby bond.
AGOT 14: Tyrion II - En route to the Wall, Tyrion convinces Jon that life in the Night's Watch will be difficult.
AGOT 15: Catelyn III - "You weren't supposed to be here"
AGOT 16: Sansa I - Joffrey is so sweet.
AGOT 17: Eddard III - The trial of Arya.
AGOT 18: Bran III - Bran dreams of summer.
AGOT 19: Catelyn IV - Catelyn goes on a trip.
AGOT 20: Jon III - Jon begins his training at Castle Black.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I nearly finished week 2 last week. :p

Looks like I'm super ahead of the curve, oops! Just finished what I think was Tyrion IV. Getting into the habit of reading a couple of chapters a night before I go to bed.

I'm also well ahead of that, though I haven't picked it back up in a few days. Long drive + audio book got me up to Arya II or Dany III.

... I read too much. I love the characterizations of some of the characters in the books (like Renly) so much better, and while I can't un-Peter Dinklage Tyrion in my mind, I can see the differences there too.

One thing I'll say: I used to groan every time there was a Bran scene in the shows, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it this time around.

Sevarus

One thing I'll say: I used to groan every time there was a Bran scene in the shows, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it this time around.

I read most of the books once before, and hated the Bran chapters. Then the show came out. I started reading the books again recently... nope, still hate the Bran chapters :( And Jon, too. I don't know what it is about those two characters, but they bore me to tears.

mokeyjoe

I read most of the books once before, and hated the Bran chapters. Then the show came out. I started reading the books again recently... nope, still hate the Bran chapters :( And Jon, too. I don't know what it is about those two characters, but they bore me to tears.

Can't say I hate any of the chapters. Well, maybe Catelyn's are a little dull for the most part, although important. I do actually prefer some of the show's characterisations, mostly of some the non-POV characters. Jorah for instance.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm already on week three. At this point, I'm just gonna keep going at this pace (a few chapters every day).

Thanks for making the thread, OP, it was the jumpstart I needed to finally start reading these.

I'm way ahead of the curve now so spoilers
Has anyone else reached Catelyn VI yet? Just finished it and it was probably the first chapter that I felt was a real slog to get through. It's just so long! It was really cool to be introduced to the Blackfish so early on in comparison to the TV show. I'm kinda hazy on him in the show but he seemed a lot warmer in the book. Also, I'm guessing that Mya Stone is a Baratheon bastard?

RDreamer

I'm way ahead of the curve now so spoilers
Has anyone else reached Catelyn VI yet? Just finished it and it was probably the first chapter that I felt was a real slog to get through. It's just so long! It was really cool to be introduced to the Blackfish so early on in comparison to the TV show. I'm kinda hazy on him in the show but he seemed a lot warmer in the book. Also, I'm guessing that Mya Stone is a Baratheon bastard?

I just got through that.

Generally, Catelyn's chapters are pretty damned slow for me. I liked these parts in the show, but in the book it's kind of a slog. That said, I did kind of enjoy the description of the Vale/Eyrie. That castle seemed pretty damned crazy compared to what we got in the show. It also seemed really damned impractical lol.

Blackfish seems pretty cool now, too. I mean, he seemed that way in the show, but you see so damned little of him. Nice to see him pop up.

Lothar

Banned
I was wondering how you all would be able to stop reading each week. It looks like you can't. These were the only books that I read so much my eyes were hurting and I still kept going. The pain was worth it. I read them all night long even when I had school and work the next day.

3 days later and there's not one single post on the Week 2 chapters. Maybe it should be 20 chapters a week.

I was wondering how you all would be able to stop reading each week. It looks like you can't. These were the only books that I read so much my eyes were hurting and I still kept going. The pain was worth it. I read them all night long even when I had school and work the next day.

3 days later and there's not one single post on the Week 2 chapters. Maybe it should be 20 chapters a week.

I've been losing track of the discussions for various reasons unrelated reasons, but at least one of the minor ones is because I forget to write down what I wanted to talk about and get too far ahead of the schedule. I was going to suggest picking up the pace to see what you guys thought.

I'm already past where I'm guessing week 4 will end. :/

Kinokou

COMPARING OUR CURRENT CHAPTERS TO THE SHOW IS OKAY. Please don't talk about the show BEYOND where we're at. We might have Ice and Fire virgins all together.

Example:

PLEASE DO NOT SPEND LONG PERIODS TALKING ABOUT THE SHOW, THE DIRECTION, ETC. At least until we get further into the books. We already have several threads to bitch about D&D's direction for the show. Let's talk about reading books here.

Perfect! I'm subbing, I'm missing the community after deciding not to follow the show anymore to avoid future story spoilers. I'll see if I'll join up on reading too, in full capacity or only for certain story lines.

bengraven

2d0mev2.jpg

Week 3: Wolves and Spiders - things heat up as Eddard ends up in the heat of King's Landing. Cat's investigation continues as Ned's begins. Tyrion starts off having a great time and ends up having his faults pointed out to his face. Sansa gets a few metaphoric foreshadows and Sam shows up!

AGOT 21: Eddard IV - Eddard arrives in King's Landing and is not pleased with what he finds. At least, not everything.
AGOT 22: Tyrion III - Tyrion says goodbye to the Night's Watch.
AGOT 23: Arya II - Eddard comforts his daughter and offers her some dancing lessons.
AGOT 24: Daenerys III - Dany starts to become part horse.
AGOT 25: Bran IV - Bran hears a story.
AGOT 26: Eddard V - Eddard P.I.
AGOT 27: Jon IV - Samwell Tarly arrives.
AGOT 28: Eddard VI - Eddard P.I. continues. Special guest star: Gendry!
AGOT 29: Catelyn V - A butterfly flaps it's wing and a storm rumbles in Westeros.
AGOT 30: Sansa II - Sansa sees a mountain kill a horse over a rose and meets a dog.

I sorely misjudged how much I've read, I'm only up to Eddard VI. I wish I had more to say, but I read these chapters last week and I don't remember much. I wish I could have taken notes, but I was driving. Grr. Perhaps I'll have more to say when I read the last few chapters.

bengraven

2d0mev2.jpg

Week 7: The Game Begins

AGOT 61: Jon VIII - Maester Aemon tells Jon about his past.
AGOT 62: Daenerys VII - Daenerys saves a woman named Mirri who is a skilled healer.
AGOT 63: Tyrion VIII - Tyrion fights on the left flank in a battle against Roose Bolton.
AGOT 64: Catelyn X - Robb meets Jaime.
AGOT 65: Daenerys VIII - Dany goes into labor while blood is shed around her.
AGOT 66: Arya V - The Stark family suffers it's first loss.
AGOT 67: Bran VII - Maester Luwin tells Bran and Rickon about the children of the forest. A raven arrives announcing terrible news.
AGOT 68: Sansa VI - King Joffrey shows his true self.
AGOT 69: Daenerys IX - Daenerys says goodbye.
AGOT 70: Tyrion IX - Tywin orders Tyrion to go to King's Landing and rule in his place.
AGOT 71: Jon IX - Jon must choose between his morals and his vows in the first of many, many times he will be forced to.
AGOT 72: Catelyn XI - The King in the North.
AGOT 73: Daenerys X - Dany gains a family and an army.

And then with this the game is finished.

Anyone want to discuss for a while or is there interest in starting the next book?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want to discuss for a while or is there interest in starting the next book?

Sure. From the latest chapters:

Why did Dany's hair burn off? Is it because it's dead?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Storm of Swords.

holy shit.

Ovid

Finished Storm of Swords.

holy shit.
Yeah, I'm almost done with that book. I started reading it in late August and should've been done by now but my textbooks have taken priority.

According to my Kindle, I'm about 5% away.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm almost done with that book. I started reading it in late August and should've been done by now but my textbooks have taken priority.

According to my Kindle, I'm about 5% away.

I think you'll enjoy that last 5%.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And done with Feast for Crows. Onto Disco with Dragons!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
DUDE!!!

I was not expecting that ending.

Speaking of endings, I just finished A Dance with Dragons. Not bad, I liked it more than AFfC.

Onto The Winds of Winter, whenever that blows in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom