• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P's director thinks its an honor being called "Bloodborne meets Pinocchio"

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
WnW1IUj.png

We asked the director Ji-Won Choi about the "Lies of P is like Bloodborne meets Pinocchio" comparison many people are using to define the game:

"I am myself a very big fan of Bloodborne", the Korean developer confesses about FromSoftware's work. "So I'm feeling so honoured for just being called together with the name of Bloodborne with my art. So I am very honoured".

Lies of P looked pretty polished from what we saw and played, but the team at Round 8 still has a tense road ahead until completion:

"We are really suffering without sleep to really bring it to the fans", Ji-Won smiles about potential crunch to get the job done. "We also appreciate all the love for the Xbox Game Pass [Day] one [announcement]. We are at a stage of 70% [of development so far]. So, in the demo version you can experience two chapters and there will be seven more chapters that you will discover in the full version. We are expecting not to pass summer of 2023, so we expect to show it to the fans before the summer".

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is the right mindset, embrace the fact that you are trying to make bank on the desire of people of another bloodborne game.

Flabagast

LMAO this guy is a f* joke, litteraly 100% plagiarizing shamelessly another IP and feeling "honored" for it. I'd say this guy just has no sense of honor at all.

I still does not understand how this lame project is not already being sued for copycat in 5 different states. What an absolute travesty.

R6Rider

Gold Member
LMAO this guy is a f* joke, litteraly 100% plagiarizing shamelessly another IP and feeling "honored" for it. I'd say this guy just has no sense of honor at all.

I still does not understand how this lame project is not already being sued for copycat in 5 different states. What an absolute travesty.
You have no idea what plagiarism is.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Game Director Choi Ji-Won recently sat down with Japanese publication 4Gamer, during Korean gaming convention G-Star 2022, to discuss the upcoming title. When asked how far along was the game's development, Ji-Won explained that, back in August, he'd said Lies of P was about 70% completed. Since then, however, the team has advanced quite a lot, as he now seems to have claimed that most of the game is finished, and what they're working on currently is simply polishing and perfecting, fixing bugs, and making final adjustments.

However, Ji-Won made it apparent in this interview that he believes Lies of P's visual inspiration is unique in the gaming space. He seemed to claim that no other game has been set in the dark atmosphere of the "Belle Epoque" era, this being a term used to refer to a particularly prosperous time in French history, which began in the late 1800s and ended in the early 1900s.

The motivation behind basing this game on a familiar story like Pinocchio was partly to make it more appealing, Ji-Won confirmed. He appeared to say that he'd thought borrowing familiar story concepts was a good strategy to raise awareness for this title, given that it was the first souls-like game the team at Neowiz had ever made.

He revealed that this is also the reason why the game doesn't have any multiplayer functionality, as he wanted to focus purely on single-player design since this was his first attempt at the genre. Ji-Won went to reveal that the reason the game will have specifically three endings is because each ending will confront some truth that is, as the translation reads, "hidden behind the mastermind."

70%??? I thought it was going to come out in 3 months.
back in August

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
[/URL]

Game Director Choi Ji-Won recently sat down with Japanese publication 4Gamer, during Korean gaming convention G-Star 2022, to discuss the upcoming title. When asked how far along was the game's development, Ji-Won explained that, back in August, he'd said Lies of P was about 70% completed. Since then, however, the team has advanced quite a lot, as he now seems to have claimed that most of the game is finished, and what they're working on currently is simply polishing and perfecting, fixing bugs, and making final adjustments.

However, Ji-Won made it apparent in this interview that he believes Lies of P's visual inspiration is unique in the gaming space. He seemed to claim that no other game has been set in the dark atmosphere of the "Belle Epoque" era, this being a term used to refer to a particularly prosperous time in French history, which began in the late 1800s and ended in the early 1900s.

The motivation behind basing this game on a familiar story like Pinocchio was partly to make it more appealing, Ji-Won confirmed. He appeared to say that he'd thought borrowing familiar story concepts was a good strategy to raise awareness for this title, given that it was the first souls-like game the team at Neowiz had ever made.

He revealed that this is also the reason why the game doesn't have any multiplayer functionality, as he wanted to focus purely on single-player design since this was his first attempt at the genre. Ji-Won went to reveal that the reason the game will have specifically three endings is because each ending will confront some truth that is, as the translation reads, "hidden behind the mastermind."

70%??? I thought it was going to come out in 3 months.

Jennings

Of course they love being tangentially grouped with Bloodborne in the public eye. And of course they'd comment on it and drop quotes about such to the public. They'd be lying out their ass if they said they didn't want such publicity.

This is all called marketing and speaking directly to their target audience.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Steelrising was FromSoft meets the French Revolution. A flattering comparison, no doubt, but I'm not sure they met with the implied expectation.

Top Bottom