• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange fans criticise $30 upgrade to play new game's early chapters two weeks early

Draugoth

Gold Member
01-Max-Caulfield-Hero-Shot-3vv45izgk.jpg

Source

Life is Strange fans have criticised an Ultimate Edition version of the game which gives "advanced access to Chapters 1 and 2", two weeks ahead of its main release date. As well as being a push for more money from fans, there's been criticism also of the inevitable story spoilers that will hit the internet as soon as some players gain access to Double Exposure's opening sections.

For a game entirely designed as a narrative experience, these concerns are perhaps unsurprising - and there's been negative feedback on reddit and social media.

"People will buy it Day 1 just because they have the money and love Max,"

one fan wrote.

"Hate this practice so much, especially in this genre where spoilers can ruin the experience."

"To avoid getting caught up in spoilers I will be pre-ordering the Ultimate Edition,"

Another fan wrote:

"A very bad decision by Square Enix."

Closer

If you don't want to be spoiled you need to pay? You could also not look for anything this game related. It's free and the best way to tackle these things.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was gonna say “okay just wait two weeks”, but I’m sure some donkeydickers will go out of their way to spoil as much as possible for people on social media. For some people it might be unavoidable. This is a stupid practice.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
While I’m here on my Life is Strange soapbox, allow me to complain about the fact that the original game on iOS it literally unplayable. Because they never adjusted the game’s aspect ratio, you get softlocked any time you enter the journal. And a bunch of text is even cut off. I’m pissed that I bought a broken game.

zo9RO2X.jpeg

Okay, done ranting.

Certinty

I don’t even get the point of this.

You get the first two episodes and once you’re done with those you have to wait until the actual release date for the remaining three…

Mowcno

Pay extra for early access is an awful practice. It's not early for the ones that pay extra they're just delaying it for the ones that won't.

But yeah companies are smart and scummy. Create artificial value by just not giving the game to second class customers.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
i like 'hella fuckoff!'...

do people really still get these games by the chapter? rather than just waiting for the always cheaper complete collection?...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

do people really still get these games by the chapter? rather than just waiting for the always cheaper complete collection?...

No, the last one (and this one) will release at once, pre-release just gets you early access to the first 2 chapters.

artsi

The $30 upgrade is stupid.

But avoiding spoilers is something I never had any trouble with, many big games leak early these days anyway and I just don't read about them before I've played them myself.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
2 weeks are far too long. Weren't we recently still at a few days for paid early access? If they are successful. Nothing stands in the way of significantly extending the time again. It will certainly be fun if you have to wait 1 month or more if you are not prepared to pay more.

Quantum253

Do people still say "hella"? I don't think people will be dropping $30 for early access anyways. That guy will probably be reaching out for a free review copy a few weeks early anyways

SHA

01-Max-Caulfield-Hero-Shot-3vv45izgk.jpg

Source

Life is Strange fans have criticised an Ultimate Edition version of the game which gives "advanced access to Chapters 1 and 2", two weeks ahead of its main release date. As well as being a push for more money from fans, there's been criticism also of the inevitable story spoilers that will hit the internet as soon as some players gain access to Double Exposure's opening sections.

For a game entirely designed as a narrative experience, these concerns are perhaps unsurprising - and there's been negative feedback on reddit and social media.

one fan wrote.

Another fan wrote:

I'll seriously give shit if it has long story.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Do people still say "hella"? I don't think people will be dropping $30 for early access anyways. That guy will probably be reaching out for a free review copy a few weeks early anyways
no idea. i never have. but everyone in the original game did, repeatedly. it was sorta the life is strange official catchphrase...

Closer

It becomes very unavoidable if you are within these community circles of this series.

Maybe I'm outside the Matrix, dunno, but I can really avoid anything about anything I have remote interest into while also not leaving the community of those anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom