• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
"All new monsters"
shows two of the same 3 monsters you fought in the demo, I hope enemy variety is better in the full game

I think there are 40% of new monsters added + all the bestiary from the previous two games. Should not be lacking in variety. And ah, patterns are also different for old monsters now that the BS is real time.

Thanks but apparently Siegfried does not exist.
lol it was a joke though from the press release.

I plan on downloading this tonight....I beat ff7 for the first time this year (have had it and played it years ago but never to completion for some reason) so I have no expectations that 13 can even reach half of its quality but meh, its worth a try.
I did play 13 when it first released and that was really bad...

Perfo

Thanks.
lol it was a joke though from the press release.

I plan on downloading this tonight....I beat ff7 for the first time this year (have had it and played it years ago but never to completion for some reason) so I have no expectations that 13 can even reach half of its quality but meh, its worth a try.
I did play 13 when it first released and that was really bad...

For what you care, I love XIII series as much as FFVII series so...
I think every single main FF is worth experiencing btw. In their own way they're all good and interesting games. Check it out :p

For what you care, I love XIII series as much as FFVII series so...
I think every single main FF is worth experiencing btw. In their own way they're all good and interesting games. Check it out :p

Working on checking out more, I claim no mastery at all over the franchise above cursory knowledge but I'm really looking forward to ffx HD and playthroughs of ff6, 8, especially awaiting KH--i mean FFXV:)

I'm hesitant to start ff8 however as so many negative comments pervade my perception of the game. If i like romance plots will I like ff8 story at the very least? Compelling characters (dont have to be revolutionary by any means jus some measure of empathy/depth)?
(lol idk why im asking such subjective questions no one can truly answer but Its late over where i am and you seem very knowledgeable Perfo)

Perfo

Working on checking out more, I claim no mastery at all over the franchise above cursory knowledge but I'm really looking forward to ffx HD and playthroughs of ff6, 8, especially awaiting KH--i mean FFXV:)

I'm hesitant to start ff8 however as so many negative comments pervade my perception of the game. If i like romance plots will I like ff8 story at the very least? Compelling characters (dont have to be revolutionary by any means jus some measure of empathy/depth)?
(lol idk why im asking such subjective questions no one can truly answer but Its late over where i am and you seem very knowledgeable Perfo)

FF8's plot is all about romance, probably the best in the franchise together with FFX. I love FF8's setting and overall style, I think you'll like it. Don't care for the negative comments... every single FF got his train of haters at its back. Skip through them all and see for yourself. You'll never find yourself playing a bad game anyway.

Perfo

@Square Portal is telling me that in the full game Outerworld-NPCs (the one linked with PSN/LIVE players) don't appear as randomly as in the DEMO (like in the hall of the dungeon). They're mostly inside towns acting as common NPCs. Better this way.

IvorB

"Most promising JRPG"? Isn't Dark Souls 2 coming out this year?

I'll definitely give this a go although I'm bummed that it's not called Lighting Strikes Twice.

Finished the demo

The Good

The battle system seems to be mildly interesting. I was at first disappointed by the lack of a proper party but switching between garbs is good enough for a fast paced combat system like this. Guarding seems like it'll have potential, however there were multiple times during the boss fight where I couldn't even see what was happening because of Blizzaga (or Blizzara? don't remember) taking up like 90% of the screen and covering the enemy. I saw that there were also different variations of the guard command, like the Dragoon having something like a counter. The demo ended just about then so no idea how it works. Might return later to try it properly. Generally speaking the game felt good to control and rather fluid. Oh, the music was also very nice.

The Bad

Dialogue and voice acting. Not that I expected anything stellar. It's still as bad as FFXIII and XIII-2 so no surprises there. And then there's of course the fact that it's still in the FFXIII world and that a bunch of unlikable characters are returning. It's probably unfair to rip a game for two things that are literally in its name but I just kept thinking throughout the demo how cool it would be if it was just a different game using the same combat system.

The Ugly

For a game where a big focus is on outfits this really is hit or miss. I looked them up on the FF Wiki and the range from cool to terrible and even downright embarrassing is simply staggering. I guess it doesn't help that Lightning has the body of a 12 year old with C-cup boobs and looks terrible in anything that doesn't hide that fact. Garb spoilers: This is good. This is not, and possibly NSFW.

In conclusion, I was pleasantly surprised by the combat system. It's hard to say how how the rest of the game will pan out and I won't hurry to buy it but I might give it a chance eventually.

IvorB

Finished the demo

The Good

The battle system seems to be mildly interesting. I was at first disappointed by the lack of a proper party but switching between garbs is good enough for a fast paced combat system like this. Guarding seems like it'll have potential, however there were multiple times during the boss fight where I couldn't even see what was happening because of Blizzaga (or Blizzara? don't remember) taking up like 90% of the screen and covering the enemy. I saw that there were also different variations of the guard command, like the Dragoon having something like a counter. The demo ended just about then so no idea how it works. Might return later to try it properly. Generally speaking the game felt good to control and rather fluid. Oh, the music was also very nice.

The Bad

Dialogue and voice acting. Not that I expected anything stellar. It's still as bad as FFXIII and XIII-2 so no surprises there. And then there's of course the fact that it's still in the FFXIII world and that a bunch of unlikable characters are returning. It's probably unfair to rip a game for two things that are literally in its name but I just kept thinking throughout the demo how cool it would be if it was just a different game using the same combat system.

The Ugly

For a game where a big focus is on outfits this really is hit or miss. I looked them up on the FF Wiki and the range from cool to terrible and even downright embarrassing is simply staggering. I guess it doesn't help that Lightning has the body of a 12 year old with C-cup boobs and looks terrible in anything that doesn't hide that fact. Garb spoilers: This is good. This is not, and possibly NSFW.

In conclusion, I was pleasantly surprised by the combat system. It's hard to say how how the rest of the game will pan out and I won't hurry to buy it but I might give it a chance eventually.

Oh dear. They went the whole barbie doll/paper doll route for this. Are game devs still living in the caveman era or what? That's killed quite a bit of interest for me.

You want a sequel to this game too!?

Lets be friends.

Well not quite. This is already the second game with her...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This looks interesting. I'm guessing I'm going to have to invest in both the prequels to have a chance of knowing what in criminey is going on. Can I skip 13-2...?

dramatis

Well, for games like 11 and 14, those writers will constantly be working on new updates and translations so it is not like they can be outsourced to other projects. Also, those teams tend to be larger due to the workload and beta testing. With 11 now getting monthly patches (big ones every 2 months apparently) and 14 getting a new big patch every 2 months, they must be quite busy. Finally, I don't think SE has been giving recent RPG translation the level of polish the PS2 generation has had. SE should really hire Alexander Smith exclusively.
I think Alex O Smith nowadays works only with Matsuno when Matsuno asks for him. Since Matsuno is no longer at SE...

After the initial development, an MMO localization team is more likely to be downsized since the volume of localization required has decreased. In no way would they have bigger teams than another rpg on its way to release.

I think the 14 localization shows a frightening divide between 13 and 14 though. There's no doubt the text and scripts are different in other languages, but 14's English edition shows a lot of heart and care through real-world cultural references and in-game cultural/societal distinctions.

Although, I think what is mostly to blame for 13's perpetually awkward dialogue and messy story is bad writing in Japanese to begin with.

Oh dear. They went the whole barbie doll/paper doll route for this. Are game devs still living in the caveman era or what? That's killed quite a bit of interest for me.
Lol those are just the beginning. You're a dragoon? Well, we thought the dragoon costume needed a fanservice element, so you're in panties. You're a dark knight? Well, we were saving budget so we just copied the dragoon costume with minor adjustments, but you're still in panties.

The problem is they used a few base designs and made different versions of those base designs, and most of those base designs are shit.

Carbonox

Thoroughly enjoyed the demo, far more so than I anticipated. The combat system is the biggest draw - it's just so much fucking fun setting up combos and switching between garbs.

Looking forward to the game now. Graphically it's poop and the dialogue/story doesn't bother me seeing as it's par for course so overall, I'm more impressed than I thought.

Edit: Dragoon class and costume are boss. Skimpy sure but I LOVE the armour.

Lol those are just the beginning. You're a dragoon? Well, we thought the dragoon costume needed a fanservice element, so you're in panties. You're a dark knight? Well, we were saving budget so we just copied the dragoon costume with minor adjustments, but you're still in panties.

The problem is they used a few base designs and made different versions of those base designs, and most of those base designs are shit.

Funny thing is, the suits and the long dresses are probably the best. Even ignoring her mashed together breasts, the skimpy outfits look just silly.

Asd202

It seems like a lot of people don't know the ending of this game. I can't wait for them to find out, expecting some hilarious responses and meltdowns after people finally see it :).

rataven

It seems like a lot of people don't know the ending of this game. I can't wait for them to find out. Expecting some hilarious responses and meltdowns after people finally see it :).

I was soooo tempted to spoil myself on it after I saw the reactions from JGAF. Never did though. Going in blind!

Goli

I think there are 40% of new monsters added + all the bestiary from the previous two games. Should not be lacking in variety. And ah, patterns are also different for old monsters now that the BS is real time.
No, the complete bestiary for the other games isn't in. There's not much enemy variety and that's a fact. There are probably more or less 30 or so normal enemies in the game + bosses. I'm pretty sure the other XIII games had way more than that.

IvorB

I think I'm out.

Lain

Can you guys explain to me why you have to talk about ending stuff in a demo thread? I don't even give a fuck that you use the spoiler tags. I think that it's simply a pretty dick move to even start such discussion in this kind of thread.

Banned
I like the new battle system. The schema is cool and works well. I like the fact that Ali Hillis gets to show more emotion as Lightning and there are some new enemies. I'm hyped.

Can you guys explain to me why you have to talk about ending stuff in a demo thread? I don't even give a fuck that you use the spoiler tags. I think that it's simply a pretty dick move to even start such discussion in this kind of thread.

I'm not the one who brought it up, but I'd be fine if Kagari just wanted to delete all the posts if others feel the same.

I hope GT or someone does a good recap video of the first two because I have no memory of the bullshit from the 20 hours of XIII I played and I didn't bother with 2 at all.

Agreed. There are spoiler threads for LR already where people discussed the ending. Should keep that stuff there since this is a demo thread.

I'm not the one who brought it up, but I'd be fine if Kagari just wanted to delete all the posts if others feel the same.

You really should have spoiler tagged your stuff better like putting "LR ending spoiler: ____". I thought you were talking about the ME3 ending, so I started to highlight your post, but stopped once I saw you were talking about the LR one. Probably my bad, but you quoted something mentioning the ME3 ending, so I wasn't sure which one you were spoilering.

I've already been spoiled on one aspect to the ending because someone else didn't know how to properly spoiler tag. D:

Anyways, I see that the posts have been removed, so that's good. :p

what exactly is so bad about the dialogue in the demo ???

I don't see anything that requires massive complaints.

Its cheesy and entertaining as it is meant to be.

I mean what kind of expectations did you have coming in ? Oscar winning script ?

Cheesy? Yes. Entertaining? No.

I did like the "Anubys" design though.

Labadal

Anyone else thought about Valkyrie Profile while playing the demo? That was all I could think about. I would love a new game in that series.

Agreed. There are spoiler threads for LR already where people discussed the ending. Should keep that stuff there since this is a demo thread.

You really should have spoiler tagged your stuff better like putting "LR ending spoiler: ____". I thought you were talking about the ME3 ending, so I started to highlight your post, but stopped once I saw you were talking about the LR one. Probably my bad, but you quoted something mentioning the ME3 ending, so I wasn't sure which one you were spoilering.

I've already been spoiled on one aspect to the ending because someone else didn't know how to properly spoiler tag. D:

Anyways, I see that the posts have been removed, so that's good. :p

Sorry about that.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
It seems like a lot of people don't know the ending of this game. I can't wait for them to find out, expecting some hilarious responses and meltdowns after people finally see it :).
I assume everything in the U.S. version is kept intact which in that case, I've seen the final boss and ending for LR. I don't see why there would be any meltdowns. It has actual closure and an actual ending which is more than I can say for some games.

I assume everything in the U.S. version is kept intact which in that case, I've seen the final boss and ending for LR. I don't see why there would be any meltdowns. It has actual closure and an actual ending which is more than I can say for some games.

because of how fucking stupid it is, regardless of its finality

That said, I've heard a lot about this game and how they are doing interesting things

and I guess they are interesting but they're not very fun.

the combat walk speed is very slow. hitting the attack button puts you into melee/combat range pretty quickly which is fine but just walking around in combat was super slow.

as bad as the dialogue and characters are, the fact that the little coms conversations with people don't pause or get stopped by combat is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a game

Like, Hope is talking about some bullshit, and then I enter combat, and the dialogue fades out but still continues in some manner

so when I exit combat I've missed dialogue. that's pretty dumb.

and the changing clothes for jobs is cool, except in how the actual clothes look.

they're also so far up their own ass they are in how self serious everything is. last I remembered, la Cie and felcie were stupid and a main part of the story in the first one, now theres some fog named Chaos which is literal and its effects makes people blind and it also likes to lock doors or some shit.

At least I get Bravely Default in February

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Man, I want the Collector's Edition cuz of the artbook and Aerith costume. 100$ after tax and shipping is so much though, and who thought it was a good idea to put a pocket watch in there??

Decisions, decisions.

Who is getting the CE? Please provide answer as to why with reasons and examples.

Man, I want the Collector's Edition cuz of the artbook and Aerith costume. 100$ after tax and shipping is so much though, and who thought it was a good idea to put a pocket watch in there??

Decisions, decisions.

I am kinda feeling the same way. Even though I am a huge XIII fan I might just buy the game and the Piggyback guide and call it a day. I imagine that book will be chocked full of art anyway. Can't imagine what I would use the pocket-watch for.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Yeah, some fucker already spoiled the ending for me in a FFX thread. I assumed they were FFX spoilers because the dipshit didn't tag them. Just felt the need to out of the blue blurt out LR's ending.

Isaccard

Decisions, decisions.

Who is getting the CE? Please provide answer as to why with reasons and examples.

As much as I enjoy Lightning as a character even I can't justify dropping 100 bucks on this CE. Needs more than just an art book and a pocket watch I'll never make use of.

Milennia

Went through the demo again and took my time editing the paradigms etc.
Combat is fun but theres deffinetly a learning curve, more so than the previous entry's imo.

as bad as the dialogue and characters are, the fact that the little coms conversations with people don't pause or get stopped by combat is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a game

Like, Hope is talking about some bullshit, and then I enter combat, and the dialogue fades out but still continues in some manner

so when I exit combat I've missed dialogue. that's pretty dumb.

This is something that concerns me for the final game. In a normal game, I would just stop moving my character and listen to the com convo before getting in a battle or whatever, but since this game has a time limit, I feel like I should be constantly moving and progressing. So... standing around doing nothing every time Hope starts yammering on (which I've heard he does constantly) doesn't really seem very viable. But if I don't, I'll miss part of the conversation. D:

Yeah, some fucker already spoiled the ending for me in a FFX thread. I assumed they were FFX spoilers because the dipshit didn't tag them. Just felt the need to out of the blue blurt out LR's ending.

It was probably the same thread/person who spoiled me. I was pretty annoyed.

Top Bottom