• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

Exentryk

Hmm, weird. I mean, since I killed him pretty fast, I'd imagine I dealt a lot of damage quickly while he was staggered. I dunno, lol. I just find it's a very weird system if someone can take twice as long as me to kill the boss, but they got 5 stars because they dealt slightly more damage during the staggers/knock outs.

There are six factors in scoring:

- Time
- Health at the end of battle
- EP used
- Items consumed
- Enemy level
- Difficulty

The scoring formula should be out shortly after the game releases.

Lain

I keep reading about people missing the stagger bar. Is that in the sense that you don't like the way it is implemented this time? Or that you didn't notice it?

I myself don't exactly like the implementation this time because, at a glance, it feels more approximative to gauge.

- Time
- EP used
- Items consumed
- Enemy level
- Difficulty

Oh okay, that makes a bit more sense. I used the attack boosting items and Overclock a few times. That might have had something to do with my 4 stars.

I keep reading about people missing the stagger bar. Is that in the sense that you don't like the way it is implemented this time? Or that you didn't notice it?

I myself don't exactly like the implementation this time because, at a glance, it feels more approximative to gauge.

I just don't like the way it is implemented this time. I love the fact that each enemy has varying mechanics and how they can be knocked out/staggered, but I would prefer a simple bar like the previous entries had showing how close you were to hitting that point. The new way isn't that hard to figure out (Purple -> Yellow -> Red), but even still, it's harder to pinpoint just how close you are or if you are doing the right attacks. Plus, in the midst of battle, it's harder to notice those wavy lines than a regular bar would be (imo).

- Time
- EP used
- Items consumed
- Enemy level
- Difficulty

I used an X-potion , and Overclock (since Overclock Tute is part of fight). I doubt he could have done much worse than that. I did finish with pretty full health though.

njean777

Question for people who have played the final game: do you level up at all? I noticed in the demo I did not gain experience, but I just worked out that since it is a demo they may have not included it.

Aside from that even though I know the story is over the top, but right after the demo I pre ordered the game. I love the combat and it seems like a interesting story on top of it all.

cafemomo

Question for people who have played the final game: do you level up at all? I noticed in the demo I did not gain experience, but I just worked out that since it is a demo they may have not included it.

you don't in a sense.

You get extra HP, etc through quests from chocoline + various NPC.

Be warned though, the quests, especially in the wildlands, can get tedious as fug.

I mean really tedious

like go to the four corners of the earth just to collect flowers

njean777

you don't in a sense.

You get extra HP, etc through quests from chocoline + various NPC.

Be warned though, the quests, especially in the wildlands, can get tedious as fug.

I mean really tedious

like go to the four corners of the earth just to collect flowers

Ewww, oh well, nothing else coming out until Dark Souls 2/Titanfall so I got about a month to play through the game.

cafemomo

Ewww, oh well, nothing else coming out until Dark Souls 2/Titanfall so I got about a month to play through the game.

The quests are essential though. Do "enough" and you'll be granted
an extra day to play

It's just a shame that some of them are tedious

It's a fairly quick game mind you. I hope you have something else to play while waiting for DS. I beat the game in about 35 hours while I was waiting for my physical copy to arrive.

But there is NG+ and hard mode to tinker around with though.

Exentryk

Got some more time to play the demo and messed around trying for a highscore. Ended up getting 1st place lol.
Nick is "L".

c2a55356e6e735c62ed3237da8cf018a.jpg

H40znJw.png

Got some more time to play the demo and messed around trying for a highscore. Ended up getting 1st place lol.
Nick is "L".

I never saw that screen. Does posting onto Facebook or Twitter automatically add you to it or did I fail to post to Outworld meaning I have to play the whole demo again ?

Toth

Nick is "L".

Oh wow, did not know they had such a readily viewable tracking. This should create fun and accessible (and hopefully friendly) competition and give real meaning to those scores.

A lot of cutscenes in FFXIII are handled in real-time as well.

In XIII-2, the animation/cinematography/whatever people were obviously spread more thin, though. More "have the characters play a stock animation while the camera sits around doing nothing at a sloppy angle" kinds of stuff. And of course the game had less Visual Works CGI to go around.

I am not sure if I understand you. Are you telling me that the opening cutscene of the Lightning Returns demo is real time and yet the cutscene where Lightning run into Lumina before Zalty is also real time?

If that is the case. Why do some cutscene looks better than others?

A good example is Dead Space. All "cutscenes" are real time. The game itself is not even that visually impressive. Nothing like the likeness of Final Fantasy XIII, XII-2 and Lightning Returns. You can't even skip the cutscene.

I noticed in nearly all the games. The cutscenes are always visually better than the real time cutscene. By "real time cutscene" I mean that it seamlessly blend into the gameplay. For example, Metal Gear Solid 4. When you are watching the cutscene just before the boss fight, the cutscene seamlessly blend into the gameplay. There is no temporary black screen in between or loading time. It is happening in real time. Also if you change Snake's clothing. it is reflected.

There are some cutscene where your character clothing are not reflected. It ignored the player's preference. Like Final Fantasy XII-2 and Lightning Returns. This is why I make those distinctions and it is evidently obvious. There is no "real time" cutscene that looks visually impressive like the "non-real time" cutscenes.

I am not sure if I understand you. Are you telling me that the opening cutscene of the Lightning Returns demo is real time and yet the cutscene where Lightning run into Lumina before Zalty is also real time?

If that is the case. Why do some cutscene looks better than others?

A good example is Dead Space. All "cutscenes" are real time. The game itself is not even that visually impressive. Nothing like the likeness of Final Fantasy XIII, XII-2 and Lightning Returns. You can't even skip the cutscene.

I noticed in nearly all the games. The cutscenes are always visually better than the real time cutscene. By "real time cutscene" I mean that it seamlessly blend into the gameplay. For example, Metal Gear Solid 4. When you are watching the cutscene just before the boss fight, the cutscene seamlessly blend into the gameplay. There is no temporary black screen in between or loading time. It is happening in real time. Also if you change Snake's clothing. it is reflected.

There are some cutscene where your character clothing are not reflected. It ignored the player's preference. Like Final Fantasy XII-2 and Lightning Returns. This is why I make those distinctions and it is evidently obvious. There is no "real time" cutscene that looks visually impressive like the "non-real time" cutscenes.

XIII has tons of CG and prerendering (backdrops, cutscenes, etc), so I'm not sure what he's talking about. XIII-2 is the one with mostly in engine sequences. LR's opening is most certainly CG.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Ahah, someone from the community topic discovered DoDog (Dodo x Dog from LR: FFXIII) in the original Final Fantasy XIII. It has been there watching over us for all these years.

Rolf NB

Demo verdict: avoid at all costs. And I've actually liked FF XIII and XIII-2 well enough to finish them. Perhaps even a bit more.

rvy

Banned
Awesome battle system wasted by everything surrounding it being shit. And the costumes are just not my thing.

abrack08

Nick is "L".

How the hell did you kill him in 13 seconds? Wow

Do you have to upload your score attached to Facebook/Twitter to get the special Siegfried garb? I went through the demo and submitted my score, but I never bothered connecting it to Twitter/Facebook.

RPGCrazied

Awesome, the Yuna outfit is now back on Amazon preorder along with Cloud's. Going to have 6 at the start of the game now.

_woLf

I hate that because I preordered the game from Square Enix themselves I'm completely fucked in terms of the retailer-exclusive DLC.

It's not fair. :(

Also, I really liked the demo but I wish you could run faster while in combat...unless you can somehow and I'm missing it. I feel so slow while fighting things.

Exentryk

How the hell did you kill him in 13 seconds? Wow

Do you have to upload your score attached to Facebook/Twitter to get the special Siegfried garb? I went through the demo and submitted my score, but I never bothered connecting it to Twitter/Facebook.

I didn't record the fight, but this vid shows a 12 second victory.
I reckon 10 seconds should be the possible, as with my 13 second run, I didn't even use Overclock.

And I guess not connecting Facebook/Twitter should still work as long as you submitted your score. I assumed you'd need to have it connected, but after thinking about it a little more, can't see why you would.
I connected mine as it conveniently shares the image of your highscore to facebook/twitter, which you can later share online on other locations.

Also, I really liked the demo but I wish you could run faster while in combat...unless you can somehow and I'm missing it. I feel so slow while fighting things.

Lol. I didn't even use the free movement. Pressing attacks makes Lightning run automatically, so just used that.
FWIW, movement might help you evade some slow attacks if you back away from them.

HTupolev

XIII has tons of CG and prerendering (backdrops, cutscenes, etc), so I'm not sure what he's talking about. XIII-2 is the one with mostly in engine sequences. LR's opening is most certainly CG.
What I said is that FFXIII also has a large number of in-engine real-time cutscenes. Not that it doesn't use pre-rendering.
I made the comment about some FFXIII cutscenes being realtime in response to Mitochondrion's "I understand these were real time graphics so it explains the step down in graphics." "Step down" is a relative term, so if something is a step down because of the real-timeness, that implies that what it's stepping down from is better on account of not being real-time. But not all of FFXIII's cutscenes are pre-rendered (quite a few are not), so I pointed that out.

I further pointed out that in-engine cutscenes in XIII-2 tend to look tacky compared with in-engine cutscenes in XIII, since there was less work put into good cinematography and custom cutscene animations.

(And yes, it is also the case that XIII-2 has less pre-rendered material than XIII)

I'm confused as to how my post was read to suggest that the opening of LR is real-time.

Ahah, someone from the community topic discovered DoDog (Dodo x Dog from LR: FFXIII) in the original Final Fantasy XIII. It has been there watching over us for all these years.
FFXIII isn't known for its high polygon density, but even by its standards that's low, haha. When I first saw the LR dog model, I thought it was a new thing.

Nice.

HeelPower

I already told you that in the other thread.yet you chose to reply mockingly.

raven777

yea the movement is really slow and its one of the few disappointing things about the battle.I think they made the movement like that so you don't rely on dodging enemy attacks with free-moving runs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm sure its been answered somewhere but.... did I get the Siegfried costume?

I did hook up to FB and Twitter before I played, beat the demo... but it said nothing. I have it?

Perfo

I'm sure its been answered somewhere but.... did I get the Siegfried costume?

I did hook up to FB and Twitter before I played, beat the demo... but it said nothing. I have it?

If you uploaded the score after beating the boss you're fine, you'll get it once you'll play the final game, possibly once you hit the Ark.

BocoDragon

If you uploaded the score after beating the boss you're fine, you'll get it once you'll play the final game, possibly once you hit the Ark.

I didn't actually opt into anything (aside from pre-game I hooked into both services). Did it do that on its own? Or should I replay and specifically do something?

Thanks Perf.

Perfo

I didn't actually opt into anything (aside from pre-game I hooked into both services). Did it do that on its own? Or should I replay and specifically do something?

Thanks Perf.

Once you beat the boss you're taken to the battle-results-screen. Right there you get the chance to skip and proceed or to stop and upload your results. You have definitely to upload the results if you want the outfit. Maybe hit SQUARE or something like that, it'll be written on the bottom right of the screen anyway once your scores appear.

BocoDragon

Once you beat the boss you're taken to the battle-results-screen. Right there you get the chance to skip and proceed or to stop and upload your results. You have definitely to upload the results if you want the outfit. Maybe hit SQUARE or something like that, it'll be written on the bottom right of the screen anyway once your scores appear.

Cool, thanks man. It's not like it was such a long demo to get back to that anyway.

Zomba13

So after playing the demo I'm interested. Don't care about lightning or most of the FFXIII characters but I kinda like the battle system and I'm a sucker for customisable armour/job systems. From what I can tell the UK pre-order stuff is the Cloud costume (GAME only?) and three Samurai things (Amazon only?) and a steel book (GAME only?).

Anyone from the UK pre-ordering this and know the best place to get the most stuff? I hate retailer exclusive DLC deals and editions.

Perfo

It should be like that, I don't think it's possible to have all DLCs with a single pre-order though. You can be sure they'll be selling most of them few days after release on PSN. As for which one to go, definitely Cloud's outfit; importers said it's quite good as an equipment/abilities to use in the final game.

Lain

Is a dress coming with the collector edition of the guide for us in Europe? Cause I just preordered it (and canceled for the preorder for the other version that I mistakenly thought would be the CE) but the blurb on the Italian Amazon doesn't tell me much.

Esura

Banned
It should be like that, I don't think it's possible to have all DLCs with a single pre-order though. You can be sure they'll be selling most of them few days after release on PSN. As for which one to go, definitely Cloud's outfit; importers said it's quite good as an equipment/abilities to use in the final game.

Cloud's better than Yuna's?

I'm a huge Yuna fan so I was looking forward to having Lightning cosplay as Yuna but I already got my preorder locked through Gamestop. Maybe I can talk someone on GAF to sell me their Yuna code from Amazon for 10 bucks....

Perfo

Is a dress coming with the collector edition of the guide for us in Europe? Cause I just preordered it (and canceled for the preorder for the other version that I mistakenly thought would be the CE) but the blurb on the Italian Amazon doesn't tell me much.

Are you italian too? Cool! Btw I used gamestop to make sure I get it on day one with the DLCs promoted on their site. Even if I hate GS.

MarkusRJR

Not sure if I should pick up the FF: LR Collectors Edition or get the normal edition and Bravely Default?

I bought FF13-2's CE and guide so I kind of want to just complete the set. What do you guys think?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Not sure if I should pick up the FF: LR Collectors Edition or get the normal edition and Bravely Default?

I bought FF13-2's CE and guide so I kind of want to just complete the set. What do you guys think?
Get the Collectors Edition; Bravely Default can wait while this won't.

Esura

Banned

I've been thinking on this as well but I just don't trust Digital River at all. I'm scared with my Drakengard 3 preorder on there as is, let alone a $90 CE. I'm passing on it personally despite owning FFXIII-2's CE. Pains the collector in me though. :(

You should get the normal edition and Bravely Default.

MarkusRJR

Get the Collectors Edition; Bravely Default can wait while this won't.

I've been thinking on this as well but I just don't trust Digital River at all. I'm scared with my Drakengard 3 preorder on there as is, let alone a $90 CE. I'm passing on it personally despite owning FFXIII-2's CE. Pains the collector in me though. :(

You should get the normal edition and Bravely Default.
Fuck. Is it really Digital River? Having Ni No Kuni flashbacks already.

How bad is it that I still want the CE despite that? Ugh.

MarkusRJR

Just shows how it is the right decision to get the CE. If you're afraid, you don't deserve one.
I'm leaving for work in like 30 min. Do you think it'll matter if I order today or will I be fine if I order tomorrow? The game releases pretty soon so I don't know if I should be in a rush to get the CE or not.

neoemonk

After playing the demo last night I actually have a much more positive opinion of this game. I have no clue what is going on in the story, having never played XIII-2, but the battle system is fun and that was enough to carry me through XIII. The sick part of my brain actually wants to go through and platinum all of these games.

After playing the demo last night I actually have a much more positive opinion of this game. I have no clue what is going on in the story, having never played XIII-2, but the battle system is fun and that was enough to carry me through XIII. The sick part of my brain actually wants to go through and platinum all of these games.

This retro-spective trailer made by Square might help you with that.

jett

D-Member
This is a really kooky game, isn't it? From the demo, the story is an indecipherable mess. The whole costume changing thing...that sure is something. You can even change colors, the sure went all out on that. Combat is okay, I wish moving mattered at all and the actual fighting seems fairly braindead. A definite pass, a truly worthy entry in the Final Fantasy XIII franchise.

Top Bottom