• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

So it's definitely the best and not just the most promising. Thanks for making it clear.

Monolith Soft´s "X" is slated for this year.

...I´d call that game more promising, with Xenoblade as it´s direct predecessor compared to....LR with XIII-2

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Monolith Soft´s "X" is slated for this year.

My enthusiasm for it ended when the game seems to be closer to a multiplayer RPG than classic jRPG. Plus it's difficult to think the game's supposed to release in the next 11 months when we still don't know much about it other than a tentative title...
don't bet on it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My enthusiasm for it ended when the game seems to be closer to a multiplayer RPG than classic jRPG. Plus it's difficult to think the game's supposed to release in the next 11 months when we still don't know much about it other than a tentative title...
don't bet on it.

I'm with you. I don't think I've ever seen a jRPG with such little info shown get released a few months down the line.

I expect to see it re-emerge at E3 with a 2015+ expected release.

Speaking of FFXIII, I think that's only jRPG that I played more than twice. That game is so made for multiple playthroughs, not because there's anything new to see with each one but because the game's pacing is so smooth that I actually never get bored, but only entertained from start to end. I hope this last entry is equally entertaining differently from its prequel, XIII-2.
Don't agree with this (like most).

In fact XIII was the only FF I never even attempted to replay. Once I got out of that linear tube, I was not going back in.

Sometimes I load up a 2010-era save in order to run around and explore the graphics and music for a few seconds. No more than that.

Perfo

I'm with you. I don't think I've ever seen a jRPG with such little info shown get released a few months down the line.

FFXV could definitely try a late-year release in Japan... but even here I have my doubts.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
FFXIII's pacing was fucking horrible, if you liked it whatever man.

I keep forgetting that is coming out this year. Just like Xenoblade it will probably be much better than any Final Fantasy in recent years.

Actually it's paced really well... if you skip all the cutscenes.

Don't agree with this (like most).

In fact XIII was the only FF I never even attempted to replay. Once I got out of that linear tube, I was not going back in.

Sometimes I load up a 2010-era save in order to run around and explore the graphics and music for a few seconds. No more than that.

It has to do with the way Nintendo distributes information, they like to keep things close to the chest until they are very close to release.

I disagree, the hallway level design ruined the pacing and I've never been so bored with a mainline Final Fantasy.

Perfo

It's actually a game that requires so little efforts outside the BS and that is why I said of it being a smooth experience. The game it's a glorious eye-candy show with engaging BS and immersive universe. It's just that it's so easy to pick up and play at any moment that it makes for me one of the smoothest jRPG experience to replay. Also: no grinding for the most part, that one helps greatly.

FiraB

Banned
Tales of Xillia 2 and X.
Persona 5, Ar No Surge, Darkengard 3, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, The Witch and the Hundred Knights, Child of Light, Kingdom hearts remix 2.5, bravely default, dark souls 2, conception 2, dragon quest 7, FFX HD, FFX-2 HD, demon gaze, trails in the sky second chapter. Just in top the list of possibles up.

don't bet on it.
Hate to burst your bubble but they basically did the same with xenoblade, game had barely any good marketing and I'd only bet jpn release this year, not eu or us.

BocoDragon

FFXV could definitely try a late-year release in Japan... but even here I have my doubts.

Based on everything in my experience I do not expect that until 2015+ either. We simply haven't seen it as a real game yet.

Maybe, maybe, someone made a decision to sit on FFXV until it was immanent, just based on its sordid history. They really did need to stop talking about it for awhile, so one can hope.

It's actually a game that requires so little efforts outside the BS and that is why I said of it being a smooth experience. The game it's a glorious eye-candy show with engaging BS and immersive universe. It's just that it's so easy to pick up and play at any moment that it makes for me one of the smoothest jRPG experience to replay. Also: no grinding for the most part, that one helps greatly.

Immersive universe... note to self, do not reenter this thread.

Camisado

I rather enjoyed XIII-2, not sure if it was true enjoyment though or just in comparison to the train wreck that was XIII, will be interested to see what people think of this. My guess is not good.

BocoDragon

When we get a really good FF game again, is Perfo going to explode from too much joy?... or will the bizzaro-world energy cause him to hate it?

Despera

Banned
Came in here expecting impressions since I'm nowhere near my PS360. Instead, I get nothing but the same tired arguments from yesteryear :/

Frumix

Suffering From Success
It has to do with the way Nintendo distributes information, they like to keep things close to the chest until they are very close to release.

I disagree, the hallway level design ruined the pacing and I've never been so bored with a mainline Final Fantasy.

Man that game design disillusionment sure hurts some people.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Speaking of FFXIII, I think that's only jRPG that I played more than twice. That game is so made for multiple playthroughs, not because there's anything new to see with each one but because the game's pacing is so smooth that I actually never get bored, but only entertained from start to end. I hope this last entry is equally entertaining differently from its prequel, XIII-2.

It's smooth alright.

walk forwards -------------> battle ---------------> walk forwards -------------> cutscene

bigol

Came in here expecting impressions since I'm nowhere near my PS360. Instead, I get nothing but the same tired arguments from yesteryear :/

I liked FFXIII a lot, liked XIII-2 demo (still have to play the full game),but didn't like this demo

Maybe it's because the costume thing or because it's just a Lightning party, but i don't feel it

Graphics look worse than XIII-2,too.The palace part didn't make the game justice i guess

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Read "BS" as "Bull Shit".
It made no difference whatsoever.

Agree there, it's overall a lot better than 13-2 and it was a lot of fun throughout. At least, there was no time travel shit, random encounters or nerf'd mechanics.

Perfo

As a matter of fact, he does not like FF XIV: ARR, so the latter!

Lies. I never said anything like that. I love ARR or else I wouldn't be so far into the game. ARR together with Ultima Online and WoW is definitely my favorite title in the genre. I speak bad of it in regards to the main scenario, terrible stories and characters. That said, it's definitely a very funny videogame I'm still currently playing months after release.

I like every single Final Fantasy, this should be clear.

I hate this game already. I just sat through a five-minute pre-title screen intro montage video showing this epic city and a fight, all set to music, it was pretty cool I thought. Except when you get to the title screen and press start, it then plays the exact same fucking five-minute cut-scene, but now with voices so you can follow it.

I hate this game already. I just sat through a five-minute pre-title screen intro montage video showing this epic city and a fight, all set to music, it was pretty cool I thought. Except when you get to the title screen and press start, it then plays the exact same fucking five-minute cut-scene, but now with voices so you can follow it.

Same shit in FXIII-2, just why?!

This looks like it's going to be a rather weak SE fiscal year. At least in Japan anyhow.

To be fair to Perfo, the JRPG lineup this year outside of the HD remasters and games like X and Persona 5 that I won't bank on coming out this year doesn't exactly set my world alight. Feels like a stopgap year for JRPGs, while WRPGs are witnessing an encroaching renaissance with Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Witcher 3, South Park and many more.

I still would try out LR though, and it's chiefly down to my own curiosity. It might work if I just treat it as its own little island, rather than a peninsula stuck on the Mordor of a mainland that is the FFXIII series. I'll just pretend I'm playing Valkyrie Profile but without any Einherjars? I might as well. No hope for story and good writing, is there?

MechaX

Most promising JRPG of the year?
And people wonder why these threads always turn into a war. Don't start complaining Perfo when your the blooming cause of it.

Yeah, the topic might have focused on the demo itself (for better or for worse), but now it's going to be fixated on Perfo's asinine troll-bait comments.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fucking amazing demo thread, Perfo! You are awesome :3

I however, don't know if I should be playing this or not... I don't wanna spoil it, but at the same time, is there enough combat in the demo for me to practice timings and shit?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Eeeh, might as well download this. Was kind of expecting the Yuna outfit to be a F/X-2 HD save file bonus. Kind of sucks it's a pre-order bonus, especially considering the Cloud outfit. Oh well, least ya get a FF6 costume once you beat it. Oh, & the Xbox Live demo is 1.14GB. Gonna download it while I'm at college & then check it out tonight or tomorrow.

While I'm thinking of save files, is there a bonus for having 13 & 13-2 save data?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Cool. I guess I'll try out the demo and see how it plays. I'm sure it'll be better than XIII-2's combat system. I don't think you can get any worse than that.

Perfo

Cool. I guess I'll try out the demo and see how it plays. I'm sure it'll be better than XIII-2's combat system. I don't think you can get any worse than that.

What's wrong with XIII-2's BS? If anything the difficulty balance was a mess. Here you have a very difficult game even on normal though.

Ricker

Was going to say the same thing...skip the cutscenes...? why? I love cut scenes in FF games...anyway,I got this pre-ordered for the PS3 since I played all the XIII on that console but my nephew has my PS3 right now so I will try the 360 demo later today.

Top Bottom