• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Long-awaited true sequel to Star Control 2 launches Kickstarter - Free Stars: Children of Infinity

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
After fending off IP trolls attempting to hijack the series, the original creators of Star Control II Free Stars: The Ur Quan Masters have finally returned to develop the first true sequel in the series since that seminal title launched in 1992. They have taken a hiatus from their jobs at Toys for Bob (now owned by Microsoft) to develop this completely independently at the newly formed Pistol Shrimp Studios. They're keeping the game old-school and true to the classic title, with 2D, top-down visuals.

After settling the ridiculous and childish lawsuit by Stardock, Paul and Fred (who still hold the copyright to the classic games) have retconned the classic titles with the name "Free Stars," in order to be consistent with the new title. The original is now available for free on Steam under the new name.

Kickstarter

Last edited:
Star Control 2 is a phenomenal game and a GOAT pc title. The writing and music still hold up today. My og copy didn’t have the voiceovers that were added for the 3do version, but I was pleasantly surprised by them when I revisited the updated game years later.

anothertech

Why is the space battle stuff look so bad compared to the planet stuff.

I loved the original, but hoped for a bigger upgrade in visuals

s_mirage

Not completely feeling the trailer, but backed.

The interface looks like a mock-up, but I'm not sure it is.

SF Kosmo

Why is the space battle stuff look so bad compared to the planet stuff.

I loved the original, but hoped for a bigger upgrade in visuals
I think the team on this is similar in size to the original or a bit smaller. They're looking to do something similar in scope to the classic games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
After fending off IP trolls attempting to hijack the series, the original creators of Star Control II Free Stars: The Ur Quan Masters have finally returned to develop the first true sequel in the series since that seminal title launched in 1992. They have taken a hiatus from their jobs at Toys for Bob (now owned by Microsoft) to develop this completely independently at the newly formed Pistol Shrimp Studios. They're keeping the game old-school and true to the classic title, with 2D, top-down visuals.

After settling the ridiculous and childish lawsuit by Stardock, Paul and Fred (who still hold the copyright to the classic games) have retconned the classic titles with the name "Free Stars," in order to be consistent with the new title. The original is now available for free on Steam under the new name.

Kickstarter

Backed!!!

SF Kosmo

Just hit $300,000. Really hoping they can make it to English VO, it's added a lot to the later version of the original.

Top Bottom