• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of Exile (8-bit Castlevania style Kickstarter)

Kazza

f4b250a25ca24157a184fb2ba273da19_original.gif

A new Castlevania-esque kickstarter project has just been announced. The project has already met its modest funding target of 12,000 euros within the first 2 days, so there is still plenty of time to back it. What made me happy is that, unlike most kickstarters these days, it's not a metroidvania! While I do like the genre, it seems that almost every indie game is like that, so it's nice to get a traditional linear platformer for a change.

e840fdc4059c580aa7c479a569b6453b_original.gif

Here is the description from the kickstarter itself:

Lords of Exile is a 8-bit side-scrolling action platformer set in the far Lands of Exilia where a cursed knight makes his way to the revenge. A combination of classic retro mechanics and linear level design in 8-bit graphics!

• 8 levels in a classic linear design with powerful end-of-zone bosses!
  • Throwing weapons, melee combat, down stab, jump, dashing... and more!
  • Use the 3 powers of the shadows of Gabriel's curse!
  • 16-bit physics with a great retro feel and perfectly polished and integrated controls!
  • Polished handcrafted 8-bit pixel art and fast animations in an awesome anime style.
  • 8-bit SFX and OST enriched with some sounds from the Megadrive sound chip!

4f7b25029e3b09cbe50bf63f510c5bbf_original.gif

The soundtrack sounds pretty good so far (definitely not 8-bit quality):

The game does appear to be a one-man show, and it is his first ever game (he's a regular software engineer in his day job), but he does already has a lot of work to show, so I'm pretty confident that he can get this out.

I just backed an early-bird digital copy for £12. The Kickstarter page has a wealth of screenshots, gifs and info, so check it out if you're interested:

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How did that Bloodstained extra, Curse of the Moon turn out btw? It looks pretty good.

Honestly, I thought it was better than the actual Bloodstained game (and I liked Bloodstained.) It was really well done.

Anyway, this looks fine.

That's the most enthusiasm I can muster for another one of these goddamn 8-bit throwbacks. It's more played out than it was when these games were actually in vogue.

at this point I'd rather take 32-bit castlevania style (at least graphically, I would love a game in the vein of Dracula X)

iu

Or even an exploration game à la Metroid that has the whip controls similar to those in castlevania IV + overall responsivness of SOTN or Dracula X:
iu

Kazza

I imagine many indies choose 8 bit style graphic simply because it takes less time. Another kickstarter I backed, Battle Axe, uses a more 32-bit 2D aesthetic (although it's an overhead game, rather than a platformer):

1280x720.jpg

battle-axe-screenshot.png

That one is being done by an experienced pixel artist from the 90s.

Top Bottom