• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 | Review Thread

Majukun

tempted to pick it up, even though i'm bad at fighting games and my pc pad doesn't even allow precision inputs

CamHostage

I'm surprised it's Unreal 5. I thought fighting games were all on custom engines for some reason. That gives me a tiny bit of hope for Soul Calibur.

So, you'd be surprised then how long it's been for fighting games not on custom engines.

Tekken 7 and Soul Caliber 6 were both on UE4. Street Fighter 5 & 6 was on UE. Mortal Kombat has been on Unreal engines since MK8 (and was often on RenderWare before that.) Power Rangers Battle uses Unity. The Arc System Works games Guilty Gear Xrd and DB Fighterz were able to do things never before seen in 2D fighting games by using Unreal as a base for its innovative tech. Killer Instinct was on Hex, which was original, but that same engine also powered the Strider reboot.

Development has changed, and custom engines tend not to be necessary unless there's a specific call or goal for developing one. For a long time, off-the-shelf engines were not really suited to fighters and had to be almost completely rewritten to work for what a fighting game designer needed for their game. (Not that there's not a ton of rewriting as it is; many of these games running on a name-brand "engine" are using components but not what people think of "the engine", so for example Netherelm calls its engine "NetherRealm Studios technology" even though has adopted UE4, and Tekken 8 uses UE5 but doesn't much if at all make use of traditional UE5 features like Nanite or Lumen.) These days, a big game engine can work for most types of projects, provided you know how to make it work for your needs.

Heck, these days, for a couple hundred bucks, you can buy fully-produced "engines" which arrange Unreal or Unity to work as fighting game development tools right off the bat.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Isn't SFVI on RE engine?

Ack, you're right. SF6 went back internal; SF4 was MT Framework, SF5 moved to UE4, and now SF6 is on a Capcom engine again.

Apt for the subtopic though, RE Engine is still not a "custom engine", it was made to make Resident Evil games and then go from there, but assuredly Capcom knew that "go from there" was possible when making RE Engine, that they weren't going to have to throw the whole thing away in order to make the new fighting games or hero action games or an arcade emulation platforms they were planning afterwards.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Full game looks far better than the demo, on PS5 at least. Its fun so far. Tekken never played this responsive I think.

Neff

Game's great but the framerate is rough and it crashes like crazy on PS5, dunno if it's a network thing or not.

Neff

Pretty sure it's a network issue. The game connected and ran fine with no hiccups for the first hour after launch, now it's falling to bits.

nbkicker

Well just tried the pc version off steam and Namco better hurry with the fixes, the sound loud cracks every few seconds be it monitor speakers, external speakers or headphones , yet no other game on my pc doing it, plus when start the game up my fans on pc kick in like out.

Valedix

Looks like another bad PC port, will end up getting this on PS5.

edit: looks like most of the crashes were online related

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Man. been playing this on PC with 4090. everything ultra. what a stunning looking game. The story is friggin beyond awesome.

honestly the best fighting game I have ever played. really stunning

Pejo

So I'm still installing but I hear that the crashes are bad. I read something about downgrading nvidia drivers helping, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Looks like another bad PC port, will end up getting this on PS5.
Confused High Quality GIF

I've not tried other modes yet, but I've been sitting in training mode for hours without a single crash and rock solid 60fps

Crayon

Damn I was going to get this on steam, then my Tekken 7, which was fine for years obviously, started acting up and hitching all over the place. After trying a bunch of stuff I searched it up online and found that this was not new but random people were having it for a long time and it was never fixed.

Not that I think it's going to happen with this game, or at least has a very high chance of happening, but f*** that lol. I spent a bunch of money on that game in the DLCs and now I'm dead in the water! I have to play the blurry-ass PS4 version and NOT repurchase the DLCs I don't have on it.

The only downside of the PS5 version I guess is the reported two extra frames of lag. :/

Crayon

Looks and feels great. They are pushing it with the meter stuff but I might like it might not. I've only played for an hour and missed the demo.

Fuck that music in the intro movie. We were stoked for a hype intro but the song was so bad it ruined it. In-fight music, I like.

I got some hardware for the game. 🐷 I gave this qanba set a try. Gravity silent buttons and stick. I like the stuff so far. Caution if you are looking at this stick, though - you cannot feel the switches at all. I'm okay with that but for some it will be too weird.

I also got one of those thin portable monitors that's powered by usb. We were checking out the game on the TV tonight, but I got a long HDMI cable so if I settle into a grind I can put this on the coffee table and go ham with the nice quit stick and I'll minimize annoying my wife.

Can't wait to play more! Between this and baldur's gate I'm set all the way till FF7R.

Gaming kick ass these days.

Klosshufvud

Finished first play. First impression is holy hell the graphics. I turned off all upscaling shit, reduced post-processing filters and left the rest on high. It's a real looker.

59ZhXCX.jpeg

The game seems packed with humor too, which is refreshing thing to see nowadays.

Had the whole day off and to myself, Amazon dude shows up at night. Oh well, wife needs to understand it's Tekken Time, sorry to keep you waiting King!
NnXulF7.jpg

SkylineRKR

I enjoy the story a lot. I like how obscenely powerful Kazuya is here. He was a jobber at some point, getting beaten in 4, and running away in 6.

But here he single handedly crushes

Azazel and in the process absorbs him as well.

Lore wise he is likely the most powerful character in Tekken history.

Alisa character story vs Jack intro, genuinely lmao 😂 pure nostalgia having these little charcter arcs with their own cutscenes, love it.

Combat feels so damn good, they nailed a sense of weight while maintaining speedy momentum. Every character I've tried so far is fantastic, absolutely zero complaints, Tekken 8 is firing on all cylinders, time to to check of the Story Mode 👌

Edit: Story mode is glorious and DualSense support is great 💯💯💯

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I beat story mode, I think it edges out Tekken 7 in that the battles are a bit more fun. There is also a nice throwback to Scenario Campaign. But the story itself is very eh, though I expected as much.

I still think Scenario Campaign from T6 was the best story content in the franchise. I loved grinding it for rewards, and playing it in co-op too.

//DEVIL//

Finished first play. First impression is holy hell the graphics. I turned off all upscaling shit, reduced post-processing filters and left the rest on high. It's a real looker.

59ZhXCX.jpeg

The game seems packed with humor too, which is refreshing thing to see nowadays.
what is the native called on PC ? because there is no OFF upscaling option. so i put it on dlss quality till i figured it out.

can you please share screen shot of your settings ? i found it funny that it recommend everything ultra with FSR 1.0 and i have a fucking 4090 with 7950x3d

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Best part of Harada getting that promotion within Bandai is he could allot more budget to his baby Tekken.

Klosshufvud

what is the native called on PC ? because there is no OFF upscaling option. so i put it on dlss quality till i figured it out.

can you please share screen shot of your settings ? i found it funny that it recommend everything ultra with FSR 1.0 and i have a fucking 4090 with 7950x3d
Sure

S0ZcsIf.png

Locked 60 with a 3060Ti. I generally prefer a sharper image without much post-processing filters, DoF and whatnot so I found these settings ideal for the visuals I prefer. Looks stunning to me.

No OT?

This intro music simply cannot be in the original Japanese game. It doesn’t match the vibe at all and feels like it ends too soon.

HDR is enabled on the PS5 version and it looks immensely better than the demo (which did not have HDR).

The game is supposed to be 60fps, but it doesn’t look that smooth to me. It might just be my eyes are accustomed to 120fps in Prince of Persia for the past week.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
No OT?

This intro music simply cannot be in the original Japanese game. It doesn’t match the vibe at all and feels like it ends too soon.

HDR is enabled on the PS5 version and it looks immensely better than the demo (which did not have HDR).

The game is supposed to be 60fps, but it doesn’t look that smooth to me. It might just be my eyes are accustomed to 120fps in Prince of Persia for the past week.

I was wondering about this, thank you for posting. The demo looked too bright and washed out to me.

//DEVIL//

Sure

S0ZcsIf.png

Locked 60 with a 3060Ti. I generally prefer a sharper image without much post-processing filters, DoF and whatnot so I found these settings ideal for the visuals I prefer. Looks stunning to me.
this is the part where I have a problem with ( and why I wanted to see a screen shot )

Upstaging: TSR. what is that ? where there is no OFF option ?

I did not want to experiment with the upscaling options to I kept it on quality DLSS because I know that sometimes clean up edges ( and its super clean and DLSS quality. but what is TSR anyway ? )

and yes the game is really stunning. I am going to put so many hours into this game its not even funny. between this and COD. i am good for a while

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

this is the part where I have a problem with ( and why I wanted to see a screen shot )

Upstaging: TSR. what is that ? where there is no OFF option ?

I did not want to experiment with the upscaling options to I kept it on quality DLSS because I know that sometimes clean up edges ( and its super clean and DLSS quality. but what is TSR anyway ? )

and yes the game is really stunning. I am going to put so many hours into this game its not even funny. between this and COD. i am good for a while
TSR is Temporal Super Resolution. Values below 100 upscales to native res. Values above 100 downscales to native res. 100 is the native resolution of your monitor, therefore the "off" option.

Top Bottom