• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of The Fallen "dev" says the game was originally made for Unreal 4. Unreal Engine 5 broke the game

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
iu

The post was made on 4chan so take with 🧂🧂🧂

Negatives:
  • Development for the game started in 2018.
  • Game was originally made for UE4, the vertical slices shown in gameplay presentations were real and it was how the game was intended to look.
  • CiGames and HexWorks got too ambitious and decided to upgrade to UE5 in 2022. This is shown in their marketing campaign with Collector's Edition (Im assuming it's because the game was marketed as a AAA game)
  • UE5 Upgrade severly muddled the development. Lots of things had to be downgraded and cut.
  • No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine.
  • CiGames and HexWorks knew the game was unoptimized and took opportunity of the Xbox slow certification approval to release it anyways.
  • Developers asked for another year of development but HexGames didn't want to risk releasing close to Shadows of the Erdtree and had to appease investors.
  • Developers had to run agaisnt time to get the game functional for release.
  • The PVP/co-op was working but the UE5 transition broke everything.
  • Hexworks is worried with refunds.
Some Positives:
  • Development Team is working hard on fixing the game.
  • There are Two Expansions Planned. One which you visit a dream realm called Morpheus and the other where it expands the world/map with two warring kingdoms (says it's mostly placeholder)
  • The game seems to have surpassed 1 million units sold.
  • A roadmap with QoL changes over the next few months is dropping soon.
  • The dev ask people to go on the Discord for complaints and support as they are listening.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
BTW I think CD Project Red made a terrible, TERRIBLE mistake when they announced they were dropping their own engine for Unreal Engine 5 for the new Witcher game. They've got one of the most advanced and optimized 3D engines in the world and now they're throwing it all away for an engine that has so far been a complete performance disaster for third parties.

Raonak

Banned
BTW I think CD Project Red made a terrible, TERRIBLE mistake when they announced they were dropping their own engine for Unreal Engine 5 for the new Witcher game. They've got one of the most advanced and optimized 3D engines in the world and now they're throwing it all away for an engine that has so far been a complete performance disaster for third parties.
Part of the reason why cyberpunk launched in such a sorry state is because of their engine.

Developing and maintaining an engine is very hard work. Not only do you have to work on and fix the game, you have to work on and fix up engine issues.

Unreal engine means that they'll be able to put all their devs on making the game.

Plus unreal 5 is a generation ahead in terms of cutting edge features. Especially by the time Witcher 4 launches, red engine would be massively outdated.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thats a shame. So far i have to say i'm not a huge UE5 fan. The step up in graphic fidelity to UE4 is very small so far.
Same with immortals. Needless ue5 a switch.
It’s remnant 2 the only good ue5 release?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lies of p is UE4 looks and runs beautifully on all systems, this game is UE5 and runs like dogshit and looks okay at best. Gonna hit this up when its in game pass or ps+. Hopefully by that time it will be fixed
Lies has good art but fidelity is rather low and flat at times. That’s why it runs great.
But it still manages to look better than this.
This got better technical look but uneven

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I knew that Matrix Awakens demo did a number on a lot of ignorant gamers. But I didn't know it had a similar effect on actual game developers who should've known better.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Performance issues aside this game would still be lackluster.

UE5 didn't make the umbral lamp be a chore and bloated mess controller input wise.

UE5 didn't make the combat lack the correct impact. It didn't hurt your hit boxes to be nowhere near me and hit me. UE5 didn't make your level design lead to full blown dead ends with no umbral path, or way to go back forcing the player to suicide because they are stuck.

The list goes on and on. No sympathy from me... especially not when a game like Lies of P delivered in spades.

• A roadmap with QoL changes over the next few months is dropping soon.

jesus piss off with this shit.

a roadmap to fix the game in the next months. I fucking hate that this is standard these days.

release a goddamn functional game or delay it ffs!
Pay full price now...MAYBE receive product as advertised within the next year or two. Possibly.

Imagine they tried selling almost any other products this way? Here's your car and a roadmap to how maybe we'll install the seat cushions Q4 2024.

Schmendrick

I never had high hopes for this game, however this trend about more and more bigger budget productions going completely haywire is seriously getting out of hand.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They are wizards and they are not moving the title over midway through development. Games that use UE5 are going to be excellent however getting your teams up to speed on developing and all the nuances to get the best out of it will take some time.

Hot5pur

I don't know why people are taking this at face value like it's real.
Also, this whole seamless co-op was apparently nonesense, it seemed you could play co-op the whole game with someone but that is not the case as the second player gets a serious shaft.

phaedrus

a roadmap to fix the game in the next months. I fucking hate that this is standard these days.

release a goddamn functional game or delay it ffs!
Why would these devs care though, when there are people who keep rewarding such behaviour by blindly preordering games. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That makes a lot sense, I'm still enjoying the game though I've said it should have been delayed 3 months (or more). Now what's the excuse for Jedi Survivor launching the way it did? I played it about a month after release on PS5 and performance was some of the worst I've seen in *years*. Frame drops, stuttering, frame pacing, wild texture pop-in, hard crashes, you name it. Bigger, well established dev and a huge IP, Lords has less issues.

Despite all that I loved Survivor and - so far - I'm quite enjoying Lords, devs deserve to be called out on this shit though.

dottme

This generation is really fighting hard. It looks like really tough to get this game showing up the power of the new machines.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Is UE5 ready for prime time, yet? I keep seeing games that use it, have a tough time on hardware, unless brute forced with the high end.

Filben

Why do devs switch engines like this knowing the complexity mid cycle?
Sometimes because of the pressure of the publisher and investors.

Remember when every EA game needed to use Frostbite, like Mass Effect, whereas the engine couldn't even support inventory management and other stuff at the beginning and had to be expanded hugely.

Kataploom

Gold Member
"No one in the team had the experience to work properly on UE5 as it was a new engine."

Just by this line you can tell that the whole 4chan post is bullshit. UE5 is literally the same as UE4. Any competent professional would be able to adapt to it within a week.
Hmmmm IDK, maybe it is, but if you have your maps mostly set up and it's using old geometry pipeline, is it THAT easy to "just move" to Nanite? Same for Lumen, etc. I think it's not in the case of Nanite since you'd have to re-import and arrange the meshes again in scene... wouldn't you? I'm asking because I don't use UE, I use Unity and those changes seem pretty sensible to me if the game is on kinda late stage

reektann

Hopefully we get some white text on a black background soon with all the fixes coming and a semi apology. Love them.

So as always - for any games that aren’t on a Nintendo system or are not an “Indie” type game, wait at least 2-3 months for everyone to beta test and devs to patch before playing, but ideally 6.

I’ve been doing this for a while now, just making sure I buffer the bigger releases in my backlog so I’m always 1 or 2 behind then by the time I get to them all the fixes are there.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

UE5 came too early in my opinion. Low/mid-tier PC's and current consoles aren't ready to run it in higher settings (or even reasonable ones like 1080p/60fps).

Last edited:

Skifi28

So another game releasing broken with a roadmap of fixes, great. The only game I can forgive is Baldur's gate 3 due to its ambition, most issues being towards the end and developers sitting their assets down and fixing it within a couple of months, no roadmaps two years down the line.

Hudo

UE5 is a shitshow all around it seems, I've heard some stories by devs who were essentially saying "wtf did Epic think when they released it like that?".
And I'll probably have to get my hands muddy with UE5 as well pretty soon... I bet our UE4 projects don't just "move over".

Kill me now.

Kenpachii

EU5 has been the biggest shit show for developers. Every single game runs like dog shit and the quality increase over other engines is barely visable.

At this point EU5 rep is so bad, i avoid games like the plague in it.

Top Bottom