• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Astro's Playroom

ihUchkE.jpg

I'm only LTTP because I only got my PS5 2 days ago, but does mean I'm almost 3 years late to this generation of consoles. It doesn't feel like it because a certain virus ended up ruining the first 2+ years of the generation and even now the first true PS5 exclusive title (Final Fantasy XVI) is just coming out this June.

Astro's Playroom is this little bundle title that comes pre-installed on every PS5. Out of curiosity, since it's literally already right there, I opened up to check it out. Made by Team Asobi, which is today all that remains of the shuttered Japan Studio, it's a pretty straightforward 3D platformer which reminded me a lot of Super Mario 3D World but which also has unique sections where you play with special mechanics, such as climbing in a giant robot gorilla or maneuvering in a little robot spaceship. You hop and bop cute PlayStation themed enemies on PlayStation themed levels in 4K/60 fps while listening to this absolute fucking banger of a soundtrack. Really, the music of this game has no business being as good as it is.

This little game is both cute and fun and certainly worth the price of $0. (Let's ignore the $500 cost of the console it comes with.) It's great not necessarily just because of the actual 3D platforming gameplay, which is certainly solid, enjoyable, and mechanically tight. No, the star of this game is PlayStation itself, which is the subject of a nostalgia-filled trip from the 1994 original PS1 to the new (as of 2020) PS5. You go through the PlayStation themed levels and collect "artifacts" which are 3D models of various PS hardware products and stop during levels to gawk at over 60 cute references to video games that defined nearly 30 years of PlayStation's history.

To put it simply, it's a fun trip down memory lane that just absolutely overwhelms you with nostalgia. If you don't get a little choked up when you see some of the game references and bits of Sony's long hardware legacy, you probably didn't grow up with Sony and Nintendo the way I did. But if you're about that age when you're starting to realize the older you get, the better you were, and you can also count your childhood by which PS console you began with, then this game is a really amazing little journey through your happy childhood memories. Oh yeah, and the theme song is a real bop. You can easily spend 5+ hours in it depending on how much you want to collect everything which is pretty nice for a free bundled title. I'm legit considering going back and getting the Platinum on this because I want to get all the artifacts. I'm still missing the OG PSP and I have to go back for that, I have the PSP Go and the Vita but not the OG.

Astro Bot should be the mascot of PlayStation. Also if I were Sony I would be producing a sequel to this game which is a full-sized platforming title because I would pay for another 20 hours of this.

A complete list of the classic game references:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/astros-playroom/Every_PlayStation_Easter_Egg_in_Astro's_Playroom

Astro Bot's theme song:

"I'm your GPU":

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
I started and Earned the Platinum for this in one sitting (started it briefly one day, just to experience the DualSense, then started over and played through a few days later). I thought it was an absolutely perfect pack-in, the next best after Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo. Still my actual favorite Sony game since the start of the PS4 generation (I don't really like most of what they've put out since then and think it's inferior to their earlier stuff).

Just like you said, it's not great only because of the mechanically-tight gameplay, but also because of the pure love of the history of PlayStation in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

CashPrizes

It is a very good game, I platinumed it when I had almost no intention of playing it initially.
Love the easter egg reinactments of RE1, Last of Us, Alucard, etc. There were only a few I was not familiar with and I made sure to search the web and figure out each game that was getting a shout out.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It was ok IMO. I platted it in a couple of hours. Was very cookie-cutter in terms of the platforming. For a pack in game it’s brilliant.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's an amazing but very short game. (The debate continues on if it's really great tech demo or a full game) Hopefully they are working on a longer length game that is similar.

jm89

I hope the next astro bot game has a non VR version. Even the astro bot VR was awesome, it would suck if it only was made available for a small market.

Kev Kev

AstroBot Rescue Mission on PSVR is the best plat former of all time, and one of my personal favorite game experiences ever. That game made me feel like I was kid discovering video games all over again. I hope they continue the series.

Certinty

Honestly, it might still be the most impressive ‘next-gen’ experience I’ve had.

Such a shame Sony didn’t invest in a full title, would happily pay $70 for a game with four times the content.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a great little game. Astrobot: Rescue Mission is the real banger though. Not to take anything away from Playroom but RM is insanely good, blows playroom out of the water IMO. It's locked to PSVR though but it's legit one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Actually booted it up again last week and played through it. There's still content I need to go back to.

Astrobot needs an absolute AAA PS5 game with a VR mode built in. It's Sony's best mascot by far, just oozes charm and personality but unfortunately Astro hasn't been given the audience/exposure that he deserves due to limited availability.

Honestly, it might still be the most impressive ‘next-gen’ experience I’ve had.

Such a shame Sony didn’t invest in a full title, would happily pay $70 for a game with four times the content.

I would have loved for them to do a Super Mario Odyssey sized game to launch with the console or shortly after. That said, Astro Bot is the perfect pack in and I enjoyed how short it was. Didn’t waste a second of my time and was a fun nostalgia romp. Hopefully PSVR2 gets the larger title in a proper sequel to ABRM.

fallingdove

Name one platformer better than Astro's Playroom.

You can't
AstroBot, easily.

Playroom was great but AstroBot was next level. I can’t wait for the next AstroBot game, I am really hoping they give it the GT7 treatment where you can play it with or without VR. I am sure it will be amazing with PSVR 2 but sometimes I just want to sit back, relax and play games without a headset on my face.

If Team Asobi can figure out how to make the next Astro a full 12-15hr AAA adventure complete with a nice story/plot and some memorable characters unique to Astro's world, along with a big baddie, the game will completely blow up. Do it Sony! And don't mess this up. Please!

A fantastic showcase for the dual sense. Very enjoyable way to be introduced to the PS5.

Do any other PS5 games use the functionality as well? The triggers seem to be the most used, but do any successfully use the trackpad, mic, speaker, etc?

Last edited:
If Team Asobi can figure out how to make the next Astro a full 12-15hr AAA adventure complete with a nice story/plot and some memorable characters unique to Astro's world, along with a big baddie, the game will completely blow up. Do it Sony! And don't mess this up. Please!
No plot, please. Just do another Astrobot Resuce Mission.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It’s a fun, joyful little game that shows off the controller well and that has a ton of great PlayStation nostalgia. And it doesn’t overstay its welcome. Perfect pack-in game. My 7-year old didn’t want to play it because from the name, she thought it was for babies. But then she gave it a shot and got absolutely hooked.

That said, I’m not sure how much further they can go with the concept. If Asobo thinks they have enough ideas to turn it into a full sized game on par with Mario or Rayman then I’d love to see it.

No plot, please. Just do another Astrobot Resuce Mission.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rescue Mission but I'm afraid another one of similar vain would just have Astro remain niche. I feel there is a way for it to gain broader appeal and still allow it to keep it's magic.

Another thing I don't get is why Astro is plastered on the front of every single PS5 box in some way. Doesn't have to be a massive picture. Just something to let people know it's a free game.

Just, no.

The game doesn't belong side Mario games or even things like Rayman Legends.

Heck, Astro's Playroom isn't even the best Astrobot game.
While it's not comparable to Super Mario 64, Galaxy, or Odyssey, I thought it compared very favorably to Super Mario 3D World and that's not damning with faint pause. SM3DW is a very good platformer.

Top Bottom