• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just finished watching all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, and I gotta say I'm a huge fan. I've watched a lot of Whedon's other works over the past few years as well, such as Dollhouse, Firefly, and Dr. Horrible, all of which I enjoyed, but I think these two series are my favorite thing I've seen from him so far.

The characters in both shows are likable, and while not all of them are terribly strong characters, I do find that they all have an interesting arc at some point in either series. I know Buffy herself is a character who many fans think is one of the weaker characters of the show, which I agree with in the first few seasons, but Season 5 and onward I think Buffy really comes into her own as a great character as well. I do think that Angel has characters who are more fleshed out and that they have more depth (with the exception of Spike and maybe Xander), but both shows casts hold up well throughout the series. I think Spike and Wesley probably have the best character arcs overall, but I also loved Lorne in Angel.

Although I think Angel has a deeper cast ( I don't want to say better, because I'm not sure if I feel that way), I think I prefer Buffy overall, mainly due to a lack of interesting season long arcs in Angel. Buffy had better overarching plots with the Mayor, Glory, The First, etc. Even season 6, who didn't have a traditional big bad, had a great overarching plot what with exploring the casts feelings and such. I think Angel did the "episodic" episodes better, or rather the standalone ones which didn't have much influence on the larger plot.

I know a lot of fans think that Buffy got worse after season 5, but I greatly enjoyed Season 6 and 7 as well. Season 2,3,5.6 and 7 of Buffy are all great. Season 1 was ok. Season 4, which I know is considered the "black sheep" (something I agree with), was pretty bad. All the characters took a dip in quality, and Riley was kind of annoying. "Hush" was a phenomenal episode though. Season 6 also has the episode "Once More with Feeling", which may be the best episode of the show.

Similarly, I think that Angel seasons 1, 2 and 3 are pretty on par, season 4 was pretty good up until the halfway point, and I finally understand why people complain about Connor and Cordelia, because that was insufferable. Season 5 was fantastic though, with some great standalone episodes (Smile Time, The Girl in Question), mini arcs ( A Hole in the World, Shells) and an AMAZING finale, which I just watched moments ago.

So, seeing as my impression of both series is positive, I want to delve into the comics as well. I know the Buffy comics are pretty straightforward (Season 8, 9, 10), but where do the Angel and Spike comics fall into play? How do I read them in continuity with the Buffy comics?

Also those of you who've read them, what are your impressions of the comics? Do they service the shows well? Are they worth reading?

Anyone who came into this thread and hasn't watched either series, I highly recommend them, especially if you're itching to watch a show focused on the supernatural! I used this guide to maintain the continuity, which I don't think is necessary, but certainly doesn't hurt either.

Jay Sosa

Regarding the comics:

Buffy:

I liked them BUT I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on GAF. The first season is a bit uneven and there's a lot of strange stuff going on but what's most important to me is that media I consume is entertaining and in that aspect I couldn't complain.

Angel:

Very confusing..you really have to pay attention what you read when. There are a lot of sidestories, some are better some are not as good. But basically same as the Buffy comics.

EDIT:

So, seeing as my impression of both series is positive, I want to delve into the comics as well. I know the Buffy comics are pretty straightforward (Season 8, 9, 10), but where do the Angel and Spike comics fall into play? How do I read them in continuity with the Buffy comics?

1. Buffy Season 8: The Long Way Home (Issues 1-4)
2. Buffy Season 8: The Chain #5
3. Buffy Season 8: No Future For You (Issues 6-9)
4. Angel: After the Fall: Issues 1-5
5. Angel: After the Fall: First Night (Issues 6-8)
6. Angel: After the Fall: Issues 9-10
7. Spike: After the Fall: Issues 1-4
8. Angel: After the Fall: Issues 11-17
9. Buffy Season 8: Anywhere But Here #10
10. Buffy Season 8: A Beautiful Sunset #11
11. Lynch's Spike: Issues 1-8
12. Buffy Season 8: Wolves at the Gate (Issues 12-15)
13. Buffy Season 8: Time of Your Life (Issues 16-19)
14. Buffy Season 8: We'll Be Right Back... After These Messages #20
15. Buffy Season 8: Harmonic Divergence #21
16. Darkhorse Presents: Harmony Bites
17. Buffy Season 8: Swell #22
18. Darkhorse Presents: Vampy Cat Play Friend
19. Buffy Season 8: Predators & Prey #23
20. Buffy Season 8: Safe #24
21. Buffy Season 8: Living Doll #25
22. Tales of the Vampires: The Thrill
23. Dark Horse Presents: Harmony Comes to the Nation
24. Tales of the Vampires: Carpe Noctem (Issues 1-2)
25. E Comic: Always Darkest
26. Buffy Season 8: Retreat (Issues 26-30)
27. Willow: Goddesses and Monsters
28. Buffy Season 8: Turbulence #31
29. Buffy Season 8: Twilight (Issues 32-35)
30. Riley: Commitment through Distance, Virtue through Sin
31. Buffy Season 8: Last Gleaming (Issues 36-39)
32. Buffy Season 8: Coda #40
33. Angel & Faith: Live Through This #1
34. Buffy Season 9: Freefall #1
35. Angel & Faith: Live Through This #2
36. Buffy Season 9: Freefall #2
37. Angel & Faith: Live Through This #3
38. Buffy Season 9: Freefall #3
39. Angel & Faith: Live Through This #4
40. Buffy Season 9: Freefall #4
41. Angel & Faith: In Perfect Harmony #5
42. Buffy Season 9: Slayer, Interrupted #5
43. Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues #6
44. Buffy Season 9: On Your Own #6
45. Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues #7
46. Buffy Season 9: On Your Own #7
47. Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues #8
48. Buffy Season 9: Apart (of Me) #8
49. Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues #9
50. Buffy Season 9: Apart (of Me) #9
51. Angel & Faith: Women of a Certain Age #10
52. Buffy Season 9: Apart (of Me) #10
53. Angel & Faith: Family Reunion #11
54. Buffy Season 9: Guarded #11
55. Angel & Faith: Family Reunion #12
56. Buffy Season 9: Guarded #12
57. Spike: A Dark Place #1
58. Angel & Faith: Family Reunion #13
59. Buffy Season 9: Guarded #13
60. Spike: A Dark Place #2
61. Angel & Faith: Family Reunion #14
62. Buffy Season 9: Billy the Vampire Slayer #14
63. Spike: A Dark Place #3
64. Angel & Faith: The Hero Of His Own Story #15
65. Willow: Wonderland #1
66. Buffy Season 9: Billy the Vampire Slayer #15
67. Spike: A Dark Place #4
68. Angel & Faith: Death & Consequences #16
69. Willow: Wonderland #2
70. Buffy Season 9: Welcome to the Team #16
71. Angel & Faith: Death & Consequences #17
72. Willow: Wonderland #3
73. Buffy Season 9: Welcome to the Team #17
74. Spike: A Dark Place #5
75. Angel & Faith: Death & Consequences #18

Anyway, Let the hate begin.

Manu

Also those of you who've read them, what are your impressions of the comics? Do they service the shows well? Are they worth reading?

Eh.

Angel After The Fall is definitely worth reading and is a worthy epilogue to the series. Too bad the comic continues after that point, but I think what follows isn't considered canon.

Now, Buffy Season Eight is a fucking trainwreck. They took way too many liberties with the story (comics have an 'unlimited budget' and all that) and missed the fact that what made Buffy so good is that it was a story about a bunch of characters, even when the whole world was in danger. Instead, it's "Buffy and her friends travel the world and fight stuff impossible to make on a TV budget!". It also has one of the worst cases of character assassination I've ever seen. I'm still angry about it.

Season Nine was better, they scaled things down quite a bit (and it was paired with Angel+Faith, which was great), but to me the damage was done at that point. Haven't bothered with Season Ten.

Krowley

Your thoughts on both shows pretty much mirror my own.

As to the comics, stay away. There are a few strong moments, but they mostly read like bad fanfiction.

E the Shaggy

The comics are super hit or miss. Season 8 starts off with a really interesting hook: the government is after Buffy, but then it just gets dumb:

A new super powered baddie appears named Twilight and surprise! It's Angel! Again!

Regarding the comics:

Buffy:

I liked them BUT I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on GAF. The first season is a bit uneven and there's a lot of strange stuff going on but what's most important to me is that media I consume is entertaining and in that aspect I couldn't complain.

Angel:

Very confusing..you really have to pay attention what you read when. There are a lot of sidestories, some are better some are not as good. But basically same as the Buffy comics.

EDIT:

Anyway, Let the hate begin.

thanks for the list.

I still think I'm going to try and read the comics regardless of bad impressions. If I don't like them I'll just stop I guess haha

e: could you give me the url for that list?

My two favorite shows (though I prefer Angel). THe characters always get me.

Also working my way through the comics for the first time. Finished Volume 3 of BtVS S8.

Book gets fucking weird. And yes, I know what happens near the end.

I'll post more about the show later, but I have things to tend to.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I quit Buffy after Hush. Also, my Netflix sub had expired. Resubscribed now, but I don't really have any desire to continue.

I'd recommend struggling through S4 and watching S5. After that, forget it. S5 finale is perfect, S5 has some amazing episodes, and watching Angel from start to finish means you can have an awesome off-screen Buffy who does things far cooler than she does in her shitty last two seasons.

I'd recommend struggling through S4 and watching S5. After that, forget it. S5 finale is perfect, S5 has some amazing episodes, and watching Angel from start to finish means you can have an awesome off-screen Buffy who does things far cooler than she does in her shitty last two seasons.

why do you (and many others) think the last 2 seasons are bad? They have some of my favorite episodes in them.

I agree that they probably could have cut it off at the end of season 5, but I think season 6 and 7 were additions on par with the other good seasons of the show.

DeathyBoy

Banned
why do you (and many others) think the last 2 seasons are bad? They have some of my favorite episodes in them.

I agree that they probably could have cut it off at the end of season 5, but I think season 6 and 7 were additions on par with the other good seasons of the show.

I think Once More With A Feeling sums up how much I dislike the last two seasons. On the one hand it's a great episode, but the more I dig the more I hate it. Like how characters do stupid things for reasons, or how Spike gets a whiny as fuck song that ends in a ridiculous punchline...

The 'grow up' intent of S6/S7 is fine, it's just that Angel did the same thing so much better. Like Buffy was self-conscious and trying to be a show it wasn't, and ignoring that the show it was? Was pretty awesome.

Goodstyle

I swear by season 6 as my favourite Buffyverse season. Very few moments in TV have ever made me tear up, season 6 had one of them.

Personally, when I rewatch Buffy, I just watch season 2, the last three seasons and Hush. That encompasses most of my favorite episodes of the show and I like adult Buffy far more than teenage Buffy. And for Angel, I just watch the first half of the first season and then the last season. I love both shows to death, but I'm not going to deny there's some bits that are a total slog to get through.

I read some of the comics, and at the time I thought they were alright since I hadn't actually read any other comics. Now that I've read some truly great comic arcs in other series, I don't think they'll hold up. They did have their moments, though.

Yay, I'm glad you liked them!

As for the comics: Not gonna lie, the Buffy/Angel comics as a whole are pretty much a clusterfuck. There are some subplots that work, and some cool moments, but as a whole...eesh.

I don't think Buffy season 4 is bad honestly. It's just the overarching storyline isn't as tight and focused as many of the other seasons. However, it's stand-alone episodes are some of the best in the series' entire run (though, ironically, it also has one of the worst - "Beer Bad").

I frequently rewatch Buffy; it's still my favorite TV show to this day. I just haven't seen anything in the 12 years since it ended that grabs me like it did (well, at least not live-action wise). It's Joss' best work as far as I'm concerned.

KevinCow

Banned
I agree with OP about Buffy. Seasons 1 and 4 were weak, but I enjoyed everything else, even 6 and 7. Season 6 might be my favorite... though I am a bit biased as it's the only one I watched any of when it was airing on TV when I was a kid.

I didn't really like Angel all that much, though. Everything that has to do with Darla and Connor just bored me and/or pissed me off, so that's the majority of seasons 2 and 3 that I hate. Season 1 was okay though, and season 4 was pretty great.

Personally, when I rewatch Buffy, I just watch season 2, the last three seasons and Hush. That encompasses most of my favorite episodes of the show and I like adult Buffy far more than teenage Buffy. And for Angel, I just watch the first half of the first season and then the last season. I love both shows to death, but I'm not going to deny there's some bits that are a total slog to get through.

I read some of the comics, and at the time I thought they were alright since I hadn't actually read any other comics. Now that I've read some truly great comic arcs in other series, I don't think they'll hold up. They did have their moments, though.

I think season 1 of Buffy is worth watching, but I might do the same if (when) I watch it again. The best episodes are definitely in seasons 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7, aside from Hush and maybe 1 or two episodes in season 1.

With Angel the only thing I disagree with is that I think Season 1 episode 14, I've Got You Under My Skin, is a great episode.

I think Once More With A Feeling sums up how much I dislike the last two seasons. On the one hand it's a great episode, but the more I dig the more I hate it. Like how characters do stupid things for reasons, or how Spike gets a whiny as fuck song that ends in a ridiculous punchline...

The 'grow up' intent of S6/S7 is fine, it's just that Angel did the same thing so much better. Like Buffy was self-conscious and trying to be a show it wasn't, and ignoring that the show it was? Was pretty awesome.

I guess I understand what you mean about Buffy trying to be a show that it wasn't but I disagree with you in that I believe they executed it well.

Yay, I'm glad you liked them!

As for the comics: Not gonna lie, the Buffy/Angel comics as a whole are pretty much a clusterfuck. There are some subplots that work, and some cool moments, but as a whole...eesh.

I don't think Buffy season 4 is bad honestly. It's just the overarching storyline isn't as tight and focused as many of the other seasons. However, it's stand-alone episodes are some of the best in the series' entire run (though, ironically, it also has one of the worst - "Beer Bad").

I frequently rewatch Buffy; it's still my favorite TV show to this day. I just haven't seen anything in the 12 years since it ended that grabs me like it did (well, at least not live-action wise). It's Joss' best work as far as I'm concerned.

nice avatar :)

I don't think season 4 was terrible, but it is noticeably worse than the other seasons of the show, mostly because I think all the characters weren't in line with their previous characterizations. In Season 5 and beyond it got back to normal in developing how they were in Seasons 1 - 3. I guess an example is that in season 4 Giles was a total dick, while in the first three seasons he had some dickish moments sprinkled in, but he was mostly like a mentor or father figure.

I'm going to try reading the comics, as I'm in that mindset where I just finish a TV show and I don't want to stop experiencing that universe. If they're bad they're bad, but I still want to try it.

A couple things about the series though:

I'm not sure I like that Willow came out as a lesbian. It's not because I don't think she should be a lesbian or anything like that, and I love Willow and Tara's relationship, it's just that her character was set up as being straight beforehand. She sincerely loved Oz, and they had sex on more than one occasion, which Willow seemed to enjoy. She also liked Xander, but I can chalk that up to a friend crush. Anyway, I think it would have made more sense for Willow to be bi than gay just because of precedent, but this is just nitpicking.

Also I was wondering how strong Connor is. I don't know if there's an official answer for this, but is he as strong as a Slayer? I know Connor lost to Faith in Season 4, but is this because Faith has more training or because Connor is weaker? In the series finale he punches Marcus Hamilton across a room and through a window while Angel could barely do anything to him. He also seemed to fare better against the Beast than the others. I'm just wondering how strong he actually is.

Speaking of The Beast though, what the hell was up with that? Why was The Beast even necessary for Jasmine's plans? That whole arc was weird.

Goodstyle

I'm not sure I like that Willow came out as a lesbian. It's not because I don't think she should be a lesbian or anything like that, and I love Willow and Tara's relationship, it's just that her character was set up as being straight beforehand. She sincerely loved Oz, and they had sex on more than one occasion, which Willow seemed to enjoy. She also liked Xander, but I can chalk that up to a friend crush. Anyway, I think it would have made more sense for Willow to be bi than gay just because of precedent, but this is just nitpicking.

Willow identifying as a lesbian is more of a personal classification deal. Many people who are gay or straight at least exhibit some attraction to people that don't fall in line with their orientation. Willow identifying as a lesbian seems to come from the fact that she feels a lot more attracted to women than she does men, but she still clearly has attraction to them. For example even after beginning to date Tara she remembers a crush she had on Giles.

Willow identifying as a lesbian doesn't mean she holds zero attraction to men, it just means she personally finds she is more drawn to women.

I agree with everything you've said in the OP. I started reading the comics, but stopped after a few issues, just wasn't speaking to me like the show was. I kept up on them via fandom osmosis, and now I don't really want to read them :/

But god I wish tv was still as good as Buffy/Angel :(

yeah these shows are better most of the stuff I've watched recently, and really satisfy that supernatural urge I was having after finishing Teen Wolf ( also a fantastic show). I'm having a hard time finding another supernatural show I like as much as any of those three. So far I've watched Being Human (UK) and Supernatural, but neither of them gripped me in the first few episodes. I don't really know what to do now except read the Buffyverse comics haha

Willow identifying as a lesbian is more of a personal classification deal. Many people who are gay or straight at least exhibit some attraction to people that don't fall in line with their orientation. Willow identifying as a lesbian seems to come from the fact that she feels a lot more attracted to women than she does men, but she still clearly has attraction to them. For example even after beginning to date Tara she remembers a crush she had on Giles.

Willow identifying as a lesbian doesn't mean she holds zero attraction to men, it just means she personally finds she is more drawn to women.

Ah I see. That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking about. Like I said, I don't have a problem with Willow being gay in and of itself, just kind of how they portrayed it, but what you're saying makes a lot of sense.

I still don't get the hate for season 4. That's the season I started with and it's what got me into the show. Though Beer Bad had me rethinking whether or not to keep up with it.

ScouserPants

Neo Member
I enjoyed both series. Even though I think Angel is slightly stronger in regards to characters and story, Buffy is a close second. There are a few episodes that make me question my choice, but for me those are few.

I love the comics. They give a scope to the 'verse that the show never could. Sometimes it gets a bit silly, but it's all in good fun. It reminds me a lot of what drew me to both shows in the first place. I'll get to catching up eventually. Keeping up with single issues was too difficult.

I would recommend giving Supernatural another try. It starts off slow but really gets good. I like to describe as a mix of Buffy and X-Files but with a male lead cast.

I might try watching it again sometime in the future. I know there are like 9 or 10 seasons right now. Is there an end in sight at all? I try not to watch too many ongoing shows if I can help it.

I still don't get the hate for season 4. That's the season I started with and it's what got me into the show. Though Beer Bad had me rethinking whether or not to keep up with it.

I don't think the plot was bad, just the character writing was weaker than the other seasons

"Where The Wild Things Are" is much worse imo.
God that episode is terrible. Beer Bad at least made me laugh. WtWTA is just creepy and weird.
I would recommend giving Supernatural another try. It starts off slow but really gets good. I like to describe as a mix of Buffy and X-Files but with a male lead cast.
Only seasons 1-5 I would say are damn fine television. Beyond that, continue at one's own curiosity.

S4 is weird. It's my least favorite season (though I have the least experience with S6). On the one hand, it has very strong character arcs for the core four (Buffy, Willow, Giles, and Xander). They're complex and interesting. On the other hand, the plot is insanely weak and Adam is a TERRIBLE big bad. Truly. I would say the Trio is better than Adam. It's nice to have a season that's very character driven, and the plot is driven by the characters. The problem is that when they introduced Adam, they tried to drive S4 forward by utilizing external forces (Adam and Spike shenanigans). This conflicts with the first half, which while it was shaky in terms of episode quality (so I found), it had a consistent theme and tone. The second half goes all over the place.

Which brings me to my last point: the episodes are such a mixed bag. You have amazing ones (Hush, New Moon Rising, Wild at Heart, Restless, This Year's Girl, Who are You?) to mediocre (Pangs, Superstar, Something Blue), to downright terrible (Beer Bad, Where the Wild Things are). It's a really rough season to try and run through, and it's the only season I've ever struggled through (though like I said, I've only watched S6 once).

The main reason behind all of this, of course, was because Angel forced them to shake up the status quo. Which is something I don't entirely mind, it just makes S4 a bit of a slog.

Also, The Initiative and Spike are both very underutilized as a whole, and I've never been particularly fond of Tara (Always felt underutilized and just a love interest for Willow. Beyond that, not very interesting), Riley (He's boring as hell, but his character arc is incredibly well-written), and Anya (Never particularly liked her. Always felt like she had wasted potential in some areas, though Selfless is one of my single favorite episodes in the series).

Well, it's complicated I guess.

Season 1-5 is the original plan. That's all they really wanted to do, the show became way too popular to cancel, so everything after 5 is 'fuck it, lets see what happens'. Still good, but not NEARLY as good as 1-5.

We just finished season 10, renewed for 11, and everyone is pretty confident 12 will happen. At least those ten season will give you a lot to watch.

ProTip: Borrow or buy season one on dvd. Netflix doesn't have the rights for the original music for that season, and the music is really one of the most important parts of the show. Replacing it with generic crap instead, the season on netflix lost a ton of it's pull and musical metaphor. Everything after season one is fine to watch on netflix.

But seriously, if you'd be interested humor, emotion, demons and monsters, and a pretty amazing revamp of Christian mythos, it's the show for you. If you enjoy meta, it's also the most meta tv show to ever exist. (The fandom for the show actually exists within the shows canon, and it only gets more meta from there)

Trust me, at least watch 1-5 :p Then decide if you want to jump on board with us in the 'fuck it' camp of still watching and enjoying the show.

rdEHCml.gif

alright, I'll try and give it another go, especially since I'm in the mindset of watching a show in that vein right now.

God that episode is terrible. Beer Bad at least made me laugh. WtWTA is just creepy and weird.

Only seasons 1-5 I would say are damn fine television. Beyond that, continue at one's own curiosity.

S4 is weird. It's my least favorite season (though I have the least experience with S6). On the one hand, it has very strong character arcs for the core four (Buffy, Willow, Giles, and Xander). They're complex and interesting. On the other hand, the plot is insanely weak and Adam is a TERRIBLE big bad. Truly. I would say the Trio is better than Adam. It's nice to have a season that's very character driven, and the plot is driven by the characters. The problem is that when they introduced Adam, they tried to drive S4 forward by utilizing external forces (Adam and Spike shenanigans). This conflicts with the first half, which while it was shaky in terms of episode quality (so I found), it had a consistent theme and tone. The second half goes all over the place.

Which brings me to my last point: the episodes are such a mixed bag. You have amazing ones (Hush, New Moon Rising, Wild at Heart, Restless, This Year's Girl, Who are You?) to mediocre (Pangs, Superstar, Something Blue), to downright terrible (Beer Bad, Where the Wild Things are). It's a really rough season to try and run through, and it's the only season I've ever struggled through (though like I said, I've only watched S6 once).

The main reason behind all of this, of course, was because Angel forced them to shake up the status quo. Which is something I don't entirely mind, it just makes S4 a bit of a slog.

Also, The Initiative and Spike are both very underutilized as a whole, and I've never been particularly fond of Tara (Always felt underutilized and just a love interest for Willow. Beyond that, not very interesting), Riley (He's boring as hell, but his character arc is incredibly well-written), and Anya (Never particularly liked her. Always felt like she had wasted potential in some areas, though Selfless is one of my single favorite episodes in the series).

Superstar is a great episode. I actually disagree with you about season 4, as I think that's where some of the characters are at their weakest. Xander is whiny andf Giles is a huge dick. I think season 6 is more of a character driven arc than season 4 as well. Beyond that I mostly agree with you on all points. I do think Tara could have had more of a role in the series, and Spike and the Initiative were totally unrealized potential in season 4. Season 4 felt like the longest season because it had the most mediocre episodes, and the weakest overarching plot. I disagree with you about Anya though. I love her character, and she has a pretty good character arc.

I thought The Trio were a great idea for a villain though. It was neat to see Buffy dealing with human enemies, no matter how comical they were. Warren may have possibly caused the most damage to the Scoobies of any villain as well.

Which episode is Selfless btw?

this is one of the best clips I could find from the show haha, makes me laugh every time I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDG2ijj6qNo

Superstar is a great episode. I actually disagree with you about season 4, as I think that's where some of the characters are at their weakest. Xander is whiny andf Giles is a huge dick. I think season 6 is more of a character driven arc than season 4 as well. Beyond that I mostly agree with you on all points. I do think Tara could have had more of a role in the series, and Spike and the Initiative were totally unrealized potential in season 4. Season 4 felt like the longest season because it had the most mediocre episodes, and the weakest overarching plot. I disagree with you about Anya though. I love her character, and she has a pretty good character arc.

I thought The Trio were a great idea for a villain though. It was neat to see Buffy dealing with human enemies, no matter how comical they were. Warren may have possibly caused the most damage to the Scoobies of any villain as well.

Which episode is Selfless btw?

this is one of the best clips I could find from the show haha, makes me laugh every time I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDG2ijj6qNo
Always thought Superstar was just okay. Nice to give development to Jonathan though.

I don't know how you can say that the focal point of S4 isn't the characters. You have to look at what the characters are actually going through: Willow is conflicted about her sexual identity, Buffy is attempting to become very independent while also questioning the relevance of the Slayer (due to the Initiative), Xander feels completely out of place and isolated due to his friends moving on with their careers (both as Scoobies and as students), and Giles is going through a mid-life crisis since his only friends are teenagers and he has no job. Giles' arc even further carries into the beginning of S5, where he decides to stay after Buffy tells him she wants to train more.

The entire point of The Yoko Factor was essentially to highlight all of this and make it apparent what the characters were going through. It's a really interesting place to go with these characters. Top that off with a massive status quo shift, and you've got exactly what the season is supposed to be: life changes. Granted, I won't refute S6 as being a character driven season. It totally is, and has in fact been stated by Jane Espenson (a writer and at one point showrunner/co-producer) that the Big Bad of S6 was in fact life itself. The Trio were just there.

Also, Selfless is where it's revealed how Anya became a vengeance demon, and she sacrifices her power which ends up killing Halfrek. Basically, after killing an entire frat house, she becomes overwhelmed with guilt. The human side won't let her be a vengeance demon anymore.

Ralemont

not me
Angel & Faith is a great comic. It helps that those are my two favorite Buffy characters. That one stretch of Angelus vs. Faith episodes in Angel S4 was like a constant :O from me.

But the art is great and they nail the character writing.

I really liked season 4.

I thought the whole government is actually aware of the supernatural and are experimenting on them was a cool concept.

And I love how it started Spikes transformation due to the chip they put in his brain,
Like with him being depressed and useless to finding out he can still hurt demons just not humans to get his violence fix and all the shenanigans he would get upto with the group since he was no threat anymore.

I really liked season 4.

I thought the whole government is actually aware of the supernatural and are experimenting on them was a cool concept.
They didn't do much with it, though. Not until the comics, anyway. That's probably what came off being the most disappointing aspect. That, and The Initiative is just sort of a confusing presence within Sunnydale.

MikeMyers

Buffy got a bit too melodramatic towards the end for me, but I really liked the older seasons. I think Season 2 has highest highs, but S3 was the most consistent for me.

Hey OP glad you watched 2 great series!

Angel has a special place in my heart. It made me into a brooding punk in highschool. So thank god I got that out of my system. But it's great. I love alotta episodes. And whilst I agree that the Connor/Cordelia arc is the weakest, there's some good fridge moments in it. I kinda appreciated with what they had to work with. Season 5 is definitely the standout, just as they were getting the groove it goes and gets cancelled.

And I agree with Fiction, give it a chance. The first 5 seasons have a great story, and after that it definitely gets shaky but IMO there's some damn good episodes. The 'arc' episodes that deal with the overall story is kinda shake(But not without its moments) but what really makes the show is the chemistry between Sam and Dean. It's so much fun watching both of them work together. Definitely give a chance.

Jay Sosa

I quit Buffy after Hush. Also, my Netflix sub had expired. Resubscribed now, but I don't really have any desire to continue.

You quit the show after it's most critically acclaimed episode? thisisgaf.gif

thanks for the list.

I still think I'm going to try and read the comics regardless of bad impressions. If I don't like them I'll just stop I guess haha

e: could you give me the url for that list?

coming right up..

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?19196-What-exact-order-should-I-read-the-Buffy-Angel-and-Spike-comics

http://www.reddit.com/r/buffy/comments/1ib5wf/how_to_read_the_extended_angelbuffyverse_in_the/

Cool, I'll do that.
You quit the show after it's most critically acclaimed episode? thisisgaf.gif
I loved Hush. I quit because everything else in S4 was bad. I just wanted to watch Hush before quitting.

ascii42

Part of the reason why Season 4 goes off the rails was because two important actors left the show. Oz's discovery arc was intended to go on longer, and Maggie Walsh was intended to be the big bad.

Tabris

So I had started to read the Season 8 buffy comics and they were incredibly bad. Apparently Season 9 was even worse. Spike on a space ship? What?

Well I just read Season 10 so far up to date and it's pretty good. It feels more like the show for sure. Even has the soap opera-ish elements.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You can't shit on Buffy season one because it has the best quote in the entire show.

Xander: "I'm just gonna go home, lie down and listen to country music. The music of pain."

Tabris

Actually, I highly suggest any Buffy fan to start reading the Buffy comic just from Season 10, ignore Season 8 and 9. It's not that bad of a transition from Season 7 ending. Just some things different, but it's scooby-ish while the rest aren't.

Admodieus

Season 1 of Buffy is just okay. Seasons 2 and 3 are excellent (while I think Season 2 is probably better overall, 3 is my personal favorite for Faith and the Mayor). 4 has some good episodes but feels weak - Xander in particular is given nothing to do for much of the season. 5 is good, and I like parts of 6. 7 struggles at times but once Faith/Caleb show up it gets really good.

For Angel, season 1 is again just okay, but Season 2 is incredible, maybe the best of the entire Buffyverse. Season 3 is very weird and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I absolutely love everything in Season 4 with the Beast until they start bringing Jasmine into the picture. And 5 is pretty great too.

Kev Kev

Used to be a huge fan of Buffy. Honestly, now, I just watch the first season once in a while and get my fix that way. I always loved that first season more then any other season in Buffy or Angel. Not sure how much hate it receives, but I just loved that story line, and that season finale was just so... Ahhh, good stuff.

Always thought Superstar was just okay. Nice to give development to Jonathan though.

I don't know how you can say that the focal point of S4 isn't the characters. You have to look at what the characters are actually going through: Willow is conflicted about her sexual identity, Buffy is attempting to become very independent while also questioning the relevance of the Slayer (due to the Initiative), Xander feels completely out of place and isolated due to his friends moving on with their careers (both as Scoobies and as students), and Giles is going through a mid-life crisis since his only friends are teenagers and he has no job. Giles' arc even further carries into the beginning of S5, where he decides to stay after Buffy tells him she wants to train more.

The entire point of The Yoko Factor was essentially to highlight all of this and make it apparent what the characters were going through. It's a really interesting place to go with these characters. Top that off with a massive status quo shift, and you've got exactly what the season is supposed to be: life changes. Granted, I won't refute S6 as being a character driven season. It totally is, and has in fact been stated by Jane Espenson (a writer and at one point showrunner/co-producer) that the Big Bad of S6 was in fact life itself. The Trio were just there.

Also, Selfless is where it's revealed how Anya became a vengeance demon, and she sacrifices her power which ends up killing Halfrek. Basically, after killing an entire frat house, she becomes overwhelmed with guilt. The human side won't let her be a vengeance demon anymore.

Yeah, those are all good points. I guess I just didn't like what the characters were going through at the time. Season 4 wasn't without it's good episodes, but I still think it's one of the weaker seasons.

That's the episode I thought it was. That was a really good one, yeah, definitely showed how Anya had grown as a person during her time as a human before.

I also thought it was pretty neat how Halfrek was Cecilly, the woman Spike confessed his love to before being sired by Drusilla.

thanks!

Season 1 of Buffy is just okay. Seasons 2 and 3 are excellent (while I think Season 2 is probably better overall, 3 is my personal favorite for Faith and the Mayor). 4 has some good episodes but feels weak - Xander in particular is given nothing to do for much of the season. 5 is good, and I like parts of 6. 7 struggles at times but once Faith/Caleb show up it gets really good.

For Angel, season 1 is again just okay, but Season 2 is incredible, maybe the best of the entire Buffyverse. Season 3 is very weird and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I absolutely love everything in Season 4 with the Beast until they start bringing Jasmine into the picture. And 5 is pretty great too.

I love Faith's character too, her arc in season 3 where she betrayed the scoobies was real good, as was her arc in Angel

her appearance in season 7 was good too

I think season 4 of Angel would have been a lot cooler if The Beast was the primary antagonist. Once they introduced Jasmine, it felt like The Beast was only ever there to kill time.

What makes you like Season 2 of Angel over other buffyverse stuff?
I will say that Season 2 had one of the best episodes in the series though, episode 15 "Reprise"

Part of the reason why Season 4 goes off the rails was because two important actors left the show. Oz's discovery arc was intended to go on longer, and Maggie Walsh was intended to be the big bad.
You're completely right, but they could have done a much better job. Particularly with Adam as a character. They could have done much better with him than they did.
Season 5 of Angel is the best thing Joss Whedon has ever done.
This right here...this is...this is my shit right here. Scumbag tactics abound.

Fantastic
Yeah, those are all good points. I guess I just didn't like what the characters were going through at the time. Season 4 wasn't without it's good episodes, but I still think it's one of the weaker seasons.

That's the episode I thought it was. That was a really good one, yeah, definitely showed how Anya had grown as a person during her time as a human before.

I also thought it was pretty neat how Halfrek was Cecilly, the woman Spike confessed his love to before being sired by Drusilla.

I love Faith's character too, her arc in season 3 where she betrayed the scoobies was real good, as was her arc in Angel

her appearance in season 7 was good too

I think season 4 of Angel would have been a lot cooler if The Beast was the primary antagonist. Once they introduced Jasmine, it felt like The Beast was only ever there to kill time.

What makes you like Season 2 of Angel over other buffyverse stuff?
I will say that Season 2 had one of the best episodes in the series though, episode 15 "Reprise"
Honestly, in order to understand and appreciate S4's arcs, you have to understand that every single major/recurring character's (EVERY SINGLE ONE) arc is about fitting in. It's all about trying to fit in. Even a couple minor, one-off characters are about that.

I was always disappointed with the fact that they never did more with D'hoffryn. He totally should have been at least a secondary antagonist for a season. Bummed me out that he never was. Anya's storyline in S7 was severely lacking.

S4 of Angel is another weird one. It just goes to weird places. And the Beast couldn't have been a Big Bad all on his own. It would've been the Adam problem all over again. Big unstoppable force. Not much of a character on his own. Granted, the Beast was a much more imposing threat because whenever he showed up everything just got fucked.

Also, S2 of Angel is basically perfect.

Buffy is a fantastic show, and a personal favourite. It's pretty well-written, too.

Angel didn't do it for me. Charisma Carpenter was great eye candy, but I just couldn't do it. It wasn't all that interesting, and lacked Buffy's spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom