• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Divinity: Original Sin

TitanNut88

Yesterday I started Divinity in couch co-op with a friend. We reached Cyseal but we don’t know what we are doing. I mean, game is good and hard but we are lost. We don’t know were to go. We don’t know what to do. We find it too complicated a bit overwhelming. Is it normal or we are getting to old already? Any tip?

anthraticus

Banned
Take a break and both think about it...talk it over. Things to try, NPCs to talk to, places to go... come back another time with fresh ideas. This is what we use to do back in the 80/90s with proper cRPGs before all the dumbing down and hand holding.

It's fun. It creates discussion.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
It certainly does not hold your hand. As anthraticus anthraticus mentioned, the best course is to talk to every npc, which will open many objectives and eventually you will progress. Given this need to investigate things, some people find it tiresome and slow to progress, but this non-hand-holding is a crux of CRPG games.

Stimpak

Explore everything, talk to everyone, and it doesn’t hurt to have 1 person with high Wits so you can detect secrets.

Also, make sure you’re both in charge of 1 companion. That way 1 of you isn’t getting 3 turns and the other is getting 1.

I have no advice for co op - bht this was one of my fav games this gen. Gotta get to play its sequel still. Cant wait.

Just gotta explore and chat with everyone and the game unwravels itself.

Be smart and think. Theres multiple solutions iirc for puzzles

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Do you play the enhanced or classic? I played both and I enjoyed the classic more. Try it out and see if you also like it more, it is a bit different in a good way. Lot of the polishing from the enhanced edition removed some of the charm for me.

Sentenza

Yesterday I started Divinity in couch co-op with a friend. We reached Cyseal but we don’t know what we are doing. I mean, game is good and hard but we are lost. We don’t know were to go. We don’t know what to do. We find it too complicated a bit overwhelming. Is it normal or we are getting to old already? Any tip?
I'd argue that it's not normal, but it's also not too uncommon since people with a low attention span aren't exactly rare.

Few tips.
- ACTUALLY read/listen what the NPCs tell you to do and it becomes basically impossible to be at loss of where to progress.
- There's content to get at least three levels inside the starting city alone. Make it four if you are a completionist who knows how to look around.
- Every time you spot a place where enemies are higher level than you, it means you are moving in the wrong direction and skipping easier content somewhere else. Especially in the first hours of the game, it would be advisable to move elsewhere.
- There's absolutely no reason to NOT hire a full party of 4 characters (which usually you'll control two for each player in co-op) unless you didn't get the trait "Lone Wolf". EXP isn't even divided among party members. You'll get the same exact amount for EACH character regardless of how many you are.
- Every time you are put in front of a choice (and your party memembers start to argue about what to do) don't lose too much sleep over it and go with your feelings. There isn't really a right or wrong way to go about things.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
It's a brilliant, brilliant game.

Take your time and speak to every NPC you can. You're investigating a murder, treat it as such and be curious about everything you can within the limitations of your characters.

Yumi

My biggest piece of advice is you wont be able to solve the murder til way later.

My friend and I spent hours in that town thinking we could figure it out and that it would point us to the next direction.

Poordevil

I have this game on my PS4. It has been a couple of years since I touched it. I liked the intro. The part where you leave the beach and enter the cave/ dungeon. Some simple puzzles, experimenting with different weapons, oil and fire, laying traps or avoiding them. I was thinking, this game might be pretty cool. But then I got to town. Lot of walking around, talking to NPCs, asking questions. The fun factor kind of evaporated, so I gathered up my group and tried heading out for some adventuring. But my party kept getting wiped. That's pretty much where I left off.

down 2 orth

Man I did not like this game. Combat and art style were fine, but the dialogue, story, loot, etc. were so profoundly off-putting. Truly felt like this game was a soulless empty shell.

Lanrutcon

Love this game. Absolutely outstanding.

Once you know the mechanics you can break this game like an egg. First thing I do when I start the game is skip the starting the town and go loot the other 2. When you're loaded with more consumables and money than God, then it's time to start collecting explosive barrels to start insta-killing bosses.

Good times.

down 2 orth

Original or Enhanced? Because the enhanced really felt like that.

The one on the PS4. I'm still open to giving the sequel a shot because I heard a lot of those issues were remedied, but I wanted to like the first one a lot and I don't want to put up with that disappointment again.

Malio

I remember making it out of the first city and wandering aimlessly around the map, finding stuff to kill and small areas to explore. The combat was good, but I hated the inventory system, you could pick up EVERYTHING and I had no idea what to keep, sell or throw away. It felt like the game was more inventory management, than actual story/combat. I eventually came to a cave with a mechanical boss mob and he was bugged/glitched. Gave up. Good luck.

mcz117chief

The one on the PS4. I'm still open to giving the sequel a shot because I heard a lot of those issues were remedied, but I wanted to like the first one a lot and I don't want to put up with that disappointment again.
I played the second one recently and quickly lost interest. I enjoyed the first one a whole lot more myself. And the version on PS4 is the "enhanced edition". Maybe try and play the original version on PC.

MagnesG

Banned
I played the second one recently and quickly lost interest. I enjoyed the first one a whole lot more myself. And the version on PS4 is the "enhanced edition". Maybe try and play the original version on PC.
The first classic one definitely better? Tried 2, combat is real good but I'm not so down on the story. Lores are a-okay.

GHG

Gold Member
Reading through this thread makes me sad. We are literally talking about one of the greatest cRPG's of all time and so many people just don't "get" it.

It's a great shame that people have become accustomed to OTT handholding in games. The moment a game like this comes along people are lost and end up missing out on what is one of the best gaming experiences this generation.

mcz117chief

The first classic one definitely better? Tried 2, combat is real good but I'm not so down on the story. Lores are a-okay.
From my experience yes, but I only got about 5 hours into the second one before I stopped, really didn't grab me much. The first one I really REALLY enjoyed a ton in classic. When I tried a second run in enhanced I constantly felt like there was something missing. It was all too clean and hollow. I gave up a few hours in. There is something special about the classic version of the first game, I might try classic in the second one but I feel like it might just be like the definitive edition of the 1st game.

Yumi

Reading through this thread makes me sad. We are literally talking about one of the greatest cRPG's of all time and so many people just don't "get" it.

It's a great shame that people have become accustomed to OTT handholding in games. The moment a game like this comes along people are lost and end up missing out on what is one of the best gaming experiences this generation.
I personally enjoyed it but i understand thats its not for everyone. 3 big things i can see turning people off are the inventory management, the top down perspective, and the light kinda cheeky fantasy story and dialouge. While i enjoyed it, i cant say i found any characters memorable, and the story i was never invested in. Which for an RPG is kind of a big selling point.

mcz117chief

I personally enjoyed it but i understand thats its not for everyone. 3 big things i can see turning people off are the inventory management, the top down perspective, and the light kinda cheeky fantasy story and dialouge. While i enjoyed it, i cant say i found any characters memorable, and the story i was never invested in. Which for an RPG is kind of a big selling point.
My own characters I started with have been pretty memorable. They had great chemistry and dialogues.

Filben

We made the mistake playing it on PS4 (at least I think). It had so many bugs and glitches (music cut off, turns not ending, items dropping somewhere else, items not being able pick up, some NPC weren't clickable etc.) and was so complicated to control with the pad... a game that relies heavily on inventory/menu management. Also running speed was sooo fucking slow, battles took forever with those slow walking zombies/corpses and once you triggered a combat sometimes enemies started walking towards us from a mile's distance. Also turn-based combat isn't in favor of couch coop... while one of us were thinking about his turn the other couldn't do anything except for giving advice.

Which is all unfortunate because we liked the story so far (after you reach the first major story point in Cyseal.) We dropped it ultimately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom