• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Far Cry 1&2

Kerotan

I read a lot of people online not recommending these classics especially on PS3. But I went ahead and played them anyway because some people swear by these as the best.

Let me just start by saying FC1 is more Crysis 1 then Far Cry. Fun game though and I even platinumed it. Shooting kinda like cod and missions were fun. I bought it for $10 off PS3 PSN.

Far Cry 2 was the dawn of modern far Cry games. Bought for just $2 at CEX for my PS3. REALLY enjoyed this. Shooting a bit slow but the maps are beautiful, graphics ok and physics impressive. Story was okay. Lots of mission variety with the buddy system. I speed ran it on easy in about 10 hours and the malaria system didn't annoy me.

There are guard patrols everywhere so expect to be annoyed by them.

I've now completed FC1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and primal. Blood Dragon is up next and after that Far Cry 6 complete edition. I platinumed them all except FC2 because of trophies connected to the online which they shut down.

FC1 8/10
FC2 7.5/10

Edit:
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon 8/10

Just completed this. Very enjoyable and really had me laughing and vibing

All that's left in the series is FC6 now.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Far Cry 2, ironically, is a diamond in the rough.

Amazing game held back by mindboggling design choices like the malaria mechanic, grenade boats, eagle-eyed AI, insta-jeeps, people talking at 1.5 speed. So many weird things happening in this game.

That said it feels brutal, gritty, filthy. They did an amazing job bringing Africa and its grime to life. The dense jungle, the vast steppen, it all looks and feels amazing.

I'd love for Ubi to remake Far Cry 2.

JoeDanny

Far Cry 2's multiplayer was amazing. The map editor and the crazy custom maps peoples would make. I would play the "Escape" maps for hours, the ones with jump challenges and puzzles and such. You had so much more control over terrain and vegetation/texturing etc. than say in Halo Infinite's Forge. Funny thing is that I think Far Cry 2's map editor is what got me into Halo 3 Forge back in the day.

Kerotan

Amazing game held back by mindboggling design choices like the malaria mechanic, grenade boats, eagle-eyed AI, insta-jeeps, people talking at 1.5 speed. So many weird things happening in this game.

That said it feels brutal, gritty, filthy. They did an amazing job bringing Africa and its grime to life. The dense jungle, the vast steppen, it all looks and feels amazing.

They really need to do a classic edition like they did with Far Cry and Far Cry 3 / blood Dragon.

They've given Far Cry 3 classic away as part of the ultimate edition for newer far crys. FC2 classic would be a perfect extra for the next far cry. Give it a solid 30fps and 4k. If they want to go the extra mile go for 60. On ps3 at least it's nowhere near a smooth 30 so even that would be a big upgrade.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

I wouldn't trust them to not ruin it if they opt for a full-on remake. If you're on PC, there's a mod that touches up some of the rough spots of FC2 like the outpost spawning along with graphics/UI improvements and more. Probably the best way to experience the game now.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-realismredux

mitch1971

Far Cry 2's multiplayer was amazing. The map editor and the crazy custom maps peoples would make. I would play the "Escape" maps for hours, the ones with jump challenges and puzzles and such. You had so much more control over terrain and vegetation/texturing etc. than say in Halo Infinite's Forge. Funny thing is that I think Far Cry 2's map editor is what got me into Halo 3 Forge back in the day.
We had a massive community of farcry 2 map makers, which laster 2 years after the game was released. What a time we had.

(I also got one of my mp maps from farcry 3 made into an official ranked map from ubisoft.):messenger_horns:

Quantum253

Far Cry 1 was a blast on the OG Xbox. I enjoyed it. It did feel closer to Crysis ( or a console version at least).
FC 2 hit the gas, and it was fun driving across the Afrian plains, starting fires, and all sorts of chaos ( Its still on best of reels for some of the mechanics and design). However, I like just getting out and causing chaos ( like GTA and later FC style). I didn't like having malaria and dieing when trying to mess around, although it just took gameplay story time to cure it.
By far, my favorite is FC4, but 2 is very close 2nd. They don't make them like they used to that's for sure

Standard payment -- in rough diamonds -- will be transferred to your account on completion.

What the fuck did he mean by this

I love how Far Cry 2 does not explain the reputation system, which is actually game changing. Most people are probably not aware of it. Today, there would be a separate menu dedicated to it...

Ribi

Fc2 is the best game in the series. I wished they'd go back to those ideas minus the malaria and expand on everything. It was so far ahead of its time.

Ribi

We had a massive community of farcry 2 map makers, which laster 2 years after the game was released. What a time we had.

(I also got one of my mp maps from farcry 3 made into an official ranked map from ubisoft.):messenger_horns:
Isn't the fc2 PC community still alive there's a website and the discord called far cry 2 multiplayer. Admittedly I haven't checked up on the project in a few years but I'm still in the discord

SJRB

Gold Member
What the fuck did he mean by this

I love how Far Cry 2 does not explain the reputation system, which is actually game changing. Most people are probably not aware of it. Today, there would be a separate menu dedicated to it...

The ingame currency being blood diamonds shows how baller Far Cry 2 was.

Hudo

I feel like Far Cry 1 and 2 are very divisive. Many people who like Far Cry 1 are usually not that fond of Far Cry 2 and vice versa. The real successor to Far Cry 1 is Crysis 1, imho, which perfected that particular formula. Whereas the latter Far Cry games (some may even say Far Cry 3 was already the peak) perfected/streamlined the Far Cry 2 formula.

T4keD0wN

I think ill replay 2 with the realism plus redux mod. Hope it works well.
Amazing game held back by mindboggling design choices like the malaria mechanic
I liked having malaria, it had a unique vibe.
This will get taken out of context, won't it?

Last edited:

Kerotan

I feel like Far Cry 1 and 2 are very divisive. Many people who like Far Cry 1 are usually not that fond of Far Cry 2 and vice versa. The real successor to Far Cry 1 is Crysis 1, imho, which perfected that particular formula. Whereas the latter Far Cry games (some may even say Far Cry 3 was already the peak) perfected/streamlined the Far Cry 2 formula.
Far Cry 2 was fantastic.

Far Cry 3 is definitely better.

Far cry 4 probably Equal.

Far Cry 5 possibly the peak for me.

bender

What time is it?
I couldn't stand the AI in the original. Also that fucking colosseum filled with mutants with rocket launchers haunts me until this day. I think I enjoyed hearing people talk about FC2 more than I did actually playing it.

wipeout364

Blood dragon is fun for the first little while but I felt it overstayed it’s welcome.

I would rank the far cry games I’ve played 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, New Dawn, Blood Dragon. I haven’t played Primal or 6.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Crysis 1 iss a much better use of anyone's time than Far Cry 1 if you've never played either.

Far Cry 2... It's a hipster game at this point, like people pretend to like it because it says something about their tastes. It's not fun, it's extremely flawed, it has these weird oddities all over the place, it has majorly dumb design decisions, but it does have some interesting ideas and goes all-in on the premise. it's best appreciated from afar. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Far Cry 3 is FC2 turned into an actual good game, but then Ubishit overdid it. Far Cry 4 is probably better than 3 but you only need to play one.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I couldn't stand the AI in the original. Also that fucking colosseum filled with mutants with rocket launchers haunts me until this day. I think I enjoyed hearing people talk about FC2 more than I did actually playing it.
Yep. I ditched FC1 about 70% through the campaign. I consider myself a calm person, but if I'd had been playing on a console I absolutely would have thrown the controller.

kiphalfton

I had a dream last night that it would be cool to have a Far Cry game set in Africa.

Then I woke up and realized Far Cry 2 exists.

The Stig

so true, it was amazing but so damn flawed add to that list of flaws a story that makes absolutely no sense

also the guns being stupidly unreliable was annoying. its like everyone kept their guns clean by washing them with mud

Kerotan

Was a whole other game than the PC version, wasn't it?
Back in the Day when Devs got other studios to do random ass ports nothing like the original game lol. I'm pretty sure there's like 3 very different versions of the original.

I was super immersed into FC2. Fond memories of setting fires and walking through the jungle areas at night in the rain. The sound played a big part but overall it was a great game, even with it's faults.

Kupfer

Back in the Day when Devs got other studios to do random ass ports nothing like the original game lol. I'm pretty sure there's like 3 very different versions of the original.
Yeah but Far Cry Classic on the PS3 at least was the "original" experience level and story- wise.

I remember my first legal copy of Far Cry was the one sponsored by MC Donalds with ads in it ... weird times

The OG Xbox version was "Instincts", a whole other game named Far Cry lol
Then there's Far Cry Instincts: Evolution, a standalone addon singleplayer campaign for instincts followed by Far Cry Instincts: Predator on the Xbox360 (I remember this game had awesome water effects for its time).
Far Cry Vengeance on the other hand is a port of Far Cry Instincts: Evolution for the Wii.

So even before Far Cry 2 came out in 2008 we had a clusterfuck of weirdass Far Cry games.

EDIT:

Look at this comparison (timestamped):

Crysis wasn't out yet and this watereffects alone made me want to get Xbox360
There are games coming out today, 2 generations later, whose water effects look worse.

Last edited:

Quantum253

Was a whole other game than the PC version, wasn't it?
I can't speak to Far Cry for the PC since I never played that or Crysis.
I think the guy at Gamestop told me that Far Cry Instincts was like Far Cry/Crysis for those who didn't have a PC but wanted to play something similar, but was limited in exploration and graphics.
I've heard that some people liked Instincts, while others stuck to the PC. I could see Ubi re-mastering the original Far Cry current Gen consoles (or having the few versions that were released across Xbox/Ps2 era)

Kerotan

I've just completed far Cry blood dragon. Only took a few hours but really fun and funny.

Next up FC6 Ultimate edition.

Last edited:

Gold Member
I’ve played all the mainline FC games from 1-6.

Loved the first, built a new PC to play it - was mind blowing to me 20 years ago. And it was part of the best year of gaming for me, 2004.

Second one, I didn’t enjoy as much. Some things were really well done, like I don’t think I’ve played a game with such awesome fire physics since. But the respawning enemies in exactly the same place each time just made progression tedious to me. Still completed it though!

The ones since have been very formulaic in a safe Ubisoft handholding way imo. Kinda meh most of the time, but for some reason I still buy em like a bad habit.

Top Bottom