• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut - Red Dead Redemption goes even farther West

Wouldve loved to see more bamboo chopping minigames and more one on one fights. One of my favorite parts was during the 2nd area where you had a handful of skilled strawhat dudes spread around that were solely there to clash blades.

I will say I think the way they handled the ending was super dumb with that choice you had to make.

Like what are they going to consider canon for the sequel? Or will it simply star a whole new character with a whole new island?
I more than guarantee it will still be Jin that you play as and more than likely it will take place on mainland Japan this time.

That island is not like NY City in Spiderman. It's too unique. I don't think making it larger and more expansive would have the same effect on gameplay.

Leaving the Uncle alive is canon I'm 99% sure. And maybe he'll be more of a main villain in the sequel.

This is also the perfect franchise to actually kill off the main character and have it matter and fit well in terms of the setting and plot.

Maybe he can have a son and die like Caesar at the end of he Planet of the Apes reboot trilogy.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
The visuals and art direction are really nice, I won't argue with that (and it's not what I'm talking about anyway)

But the actual design of the world is like a 2009 Ubisoft game, full of repetitive enemy bases, boring repetitive activities copy/pasted 10.000 times (like composing Haikus and following foxes), exploration designed around following a GPS and going to icons on the map (even if it's nicely integrated as wind) and with almost nothing interesting to find through real exploration. At most you'll get to a shrine in a cool looking location which you'll reach through the same uninteresting autopilot platforming we get in most AAA games these days.
As with most Ubisoft games, you don't have to use markers/wind/gps. If you want to simplest wander around and find the points of interest on your own, you absolutely can.

Vick

I just don't know how you improve any of that? No one seems to have any real suggestions for any of these games. They just say the missions are repetitive. But in the same breath will hold Elden Ring as God tier when all you do is run up to enemies and fight them. It makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying that's your opinion but how can these open world games in general be improved?
Personally, a game like this could have been improved by sporting writing as good as The Witcher 3 for instance, or the same attitude towards mature elements.
Relatively superficial stuff in the end, as even that colossal and unrivaled masterpiece in terms of actual gameplay variety suffered from the same "issues", aggravated there by vastly inferior controls and immensely inferior combat mechanics.

Compared to this, let alone other open world games, nah.

Nothing special to set it apart; has the same cookie cutter design as every other major open world game out there.
Days Gone nothing special to set it apart? Is this a joke or something?

Let’s be real. This game is not even in the same league. It’s more like Assassin’s Creed Origins. And I like both Origins and Ghost.

Nioh 2 creator after picking the game as his GOTY:

"Ghost of Tushima really left an impression on me. They did a fantastic job with the highly polished gameplay. Here at Team Ninja, where we have worked on a lot of sword fighting action, we were really impressed with the game and strive to create a title with as much ‘honor’ as Ghost of Tsushima."

Not sure if I myself would put GoT on par with the first RDR, which in my opinion is an utterly perfect game in every way.. but still "let's be real", I think at this point your views on certain games might be possibly flawed and/or distorted for personal reasons.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Personally, a game like this could have been improved by sporting writing as good as The Witcher 3 for instance. Or the same attitude towards mature elements.
Superficial stuff in the end, as even that colossal and unrivaled masterpiece in terms of actual gameplay variety suffered from the same "issues", aggravated there by vastly inferior controls and immensely inferior combat mechanics.

Nioh 2 creator after picking the game as his GOTY:

"Ghost of Tushima really left an impression on me. They did a fantastic job with the highly polished gameplay. Here at Team Ninja, where we have worked on a lot of sword fighting action, we were really impressed with the game and strive to create a title with as much ‘honor’ as Ghost of Tsushima."

Let's be real, I think it's time to accept your predictable views on certain games might be flawed and/or distorted for personal reasons.

Personal reasons? What personal reasons can I have? Personal reason is for Japanese people to like a game set in Japan. That’s personal reason, you clown.

kiphalfton

No.

Implicitly every game should have something that sets it apart. But that's to be expected.

Days Gone has things that do set it apart, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really do anything better or noteworthy enough to set it apart from the dozens of other other open world games that have been released round the same time frame or thereafter.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Personally, I thought Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima were actually incredibly similar. 2 of my favorite PS4 games, but I actually bailed on the last act on both games.

Days Gone nails the Pacific Northwest vibes and forests. The main thing that sets it apart is the scavenging for supplies, which adds a nice rhythm to the core gameplay loop, and the hordes. Ghost's main thing that sets it apart is melee combat, the sword draw mini-game, and top tier art design. The rest on both games is pretty similar actually in terms of just gameplay and the core gameplay loop.

I'd probably put Days Gone slightly ahead of Ghost. The stealth is still pretty casual, but felt better somehow. Might just be the setting and the roleplaying vibes. You had better level design to skulk through as well, with some small towns and building interiors.

Fbh

Sure the foxes especially get kind of old. The Haiku's and Bamboo chops however I loved and I wish you could replay them and infinite amount of times if you wanted to.

The shrines are also awesome, though I agree making climbing more difficult would be welcomed. Just the vistas and environments were enough for me alone. But the the combat is really fun so it only enhanced the game for me.

As for enemy bases and such, that's just the type of game this is. How else would they make this game? Enemies occupying an island are going to have bases. Sure they could be more dispersed and less predictable I guess?

The bases could be more unique, bigger, with more complex designs, maybe with unique enemies or bosses to encounter, even having some gimmick to make them stand out from each other would have been nice, etc. They could have made it so shrines actually require skill to reach instead of just being a nice vista. Sidequests could have told interesting stories and had more unique mechanics, choices, etc. The game does actually have some cool sidequests, the ones which unlock new techniques, but they are only a small handful in a sea of copy pasted "follow footsteps --> fight the same 4-5 mongols again".

As with most Ubisoft games, you don't have to use markers/wind/gps. If you want to simplest wander around and find the points of interest on your own, you absolutely can.

And as with most Ubisoft games just hiding the quest markers can help, but it doesn't magically make the game better, because ultimately it was still designed around quest markers.
Open world games with limited quests markers like Breath of the Wild or the Outer Wilds work because the main quests offers you multiple objectives you can take on in multiple locations and in (almost) any order you want, so you actually do feel like you can go explore in almost any direction and you'll eventually make progress.

The Ubisoft design which is based around doing specific quests in specific location in a specific order can actually get annoying if you remove the thing telling you where you are supposed to go.

Cashon

Banned
The bases could be more unique, bigger, with more complex designs, maybe with unique enemies or bosses to encounter, even having some gimmick to make them stand out from each other would have been nice, etc. They could have made it so shrines actually require skill to reach instead of just being a nice vista. Sidequests could have told interesting stories and had more unique mechanics, choices, etc. The game does actually have some cool sidequests, the ones which unlock new techniques, but they are only a small handful in a sea of copy pasted "follow footsteps --> fight the same 4-5 mongols again".

And as with most Ubisoft games just hiding the quest markers can help, but it doesn't magically make the game better, because ultimately it was still designed around quest markers.
Open world games with limited quests markers like Breath of the Wild or the Outer Wilds work because the main quests offers you multiple objectives you can take on in multiple locations and in (almost) any order you want, so you actually do feel like you can go explore in almost any direction and you'll eventually make progress.

The Ubisoft design which is based around doing specific quests in specific location in a specific order can actually get annoying if you remove the thing telling you where you are supposed to go.
Breath of the Wild basically has no plot worth taking about, which is what allows for the freedom to which you're referring. Outer Wilds does it by essentially resetting almost everything over and over.

For a traditional narrative-based game to move forward in any meaningful way, there have to be limits on how the player progresses through the story. If Ghost of Tsushima allowed you to go straight to the main bad guy and kill him immediately, it would ruin the story that they carefully laid out.

Side-quests and side-content can still be found and completed without markers. That being said, I'm sure a balance between how Ghost of Tsushima handles them and how Elden Ring (absolutely awfully, in my opinion) handles them could be found.

bitbydeath

Compared to this, let alone other open world games, nah.

Nothing special to set it apart; has the same cookie cutter design as every other major open world game out there.
The dynamic AI that constantly changes things up every time you move around the world is a massive game changer, something only RDR2 lightly touched on, and hopefully GTAVI will join in on. Not to mention how you could create huge AI fights by pinning them all against one another.

Nothing compares to Days Gone right now.

I would in general argue against that as well.

I think it does it's open world much better than most games. The wind is a huge factor for me.

You can play this game by looking at the environment, not by staring at the HUD like games such as Red Dead Redemption 2, Grand Theft Auto, Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint, Far Cry 3 through 6 and most of Assassins Creed games.

It's very much in the vein of Kingdom Come deliverance.

The mission design? It's your standard open world game, some fetch quests, talking to side characters, etc.

I just don't know how you improve any of that? No one seems to have any real suggestions for any of these games. They just say the missions are repetitive. But in the same breath will hold Elden Ring as God tier when all you do is run up to enemies and fight them. It makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying that's your opinion but how can these open world games in general be improved?

Much more variety in mission structure, many more moments of levity, better writing, etc. It all felt like a depressing loop of repetitive and uninteresting encounters IMO. I also found the story and characters really hard to root for. I kind of just wanted out of the bleak game they created tbh.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
Much more variety in mission structure, many more moments of levity, better writing, etc. It all felt like a depressing loop of repetitive and uninteresting encounters IMO. I also found the story and characters really hard to root for. I kind of just wanted out of the bleak game they created tbh.
Your issues with the tone of the game have nothing to do with the gameplay.

I loved the tone of the game and don't want it ruined with crappy Marvel humor.

Mission structure has nothing to do with tone. I think the moment to moment gameplay of GoT is terribly boring and depressing. Plus the characters and stories are a snore.

Also, I don’t want marvel humor. WTF lol. Look to The Witcher 3 as the best example of what I do want.

yansolo

How does Red Dead Redemption's open world feel differently to you, in terms of what you said here (side quests, gameplay, standard open world stuff)?
for me its just more detailed, more interactive, has random encounters and mini games. Just feels more alive. I had high expectations from GOT from all the trailers and stuff but for me it just felt like another ubi style liberate camp world.

Humdinger

I've owned the game for several years, but I've still not played it. I've tried -- twice -- but I haven't made it more than an hour or two in before setting it aside. There's nothing about it that I actively dislike. It just isn't hooking me. I also feel as if I'm in for "yet another open-world game" (similar to Fbh's comments). I'm just not up for that lately.

Yea exactly if anything has a problem in that game, it's absolutely not the somber nature of it.

I loved how serious it was. War is depressing, especially when your own home is invaded.

I have no problem with levity in the war genre, but save it for Killzone or a modern day shooter like Battlefield 3. Humor fits with Marine grunts, not respectful Samurai.

Top Bottom