• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kena Bridge of Spirts

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
513788-755766.jpg

I really enjoyed this one, finished it in 12 hours.

Wanted fun, action and was really encouraged to buy the game (trailers, combat, graphics).

kena-bridge-of-spirits-map-of-village.jpg

Here's the map. The nature is beautiful in this game, every trees turns heads but I could see why people say it's like a game from the PS2 era.

"It's good to have a good lamp during this sort of dark and rainy night. Who or what is a lamp that lights your path?"

Let's read between the lines what Kena really is, it's an unknown game where you conquer "Corrupted" rot, there's collecting, upgrading and powering up all the trends are here, I cannot wait for a sequel.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Disney souls if you play it on the hardest difficulty. Was a decent game, had the right ingredients to be amazing but they fucked up badly by making exploration feel unrewarding as hell, unless you consider finding hats for your tiny shits rewarding. I did not, waste of time. As for the story, the first and last one were good, middle one sucked. You know why.

Great game but the PS2 reference is totally uncanned for. Not one game on PS2 is similar to this.

The one that is very similar to Kena is actually Zelda, notably Ocarina of time on N64.

It's also a better game with more varied gameplay than most AAA games released on those consoles. Last time I tried Jedi fallen order and what an empty shell. Same thing for Marvels Guardians of the galaxy. Both empty pretty shells with big emphasis on (bad) acting, cutscenes, bad jokes with 0 interesting gameplay.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
One of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen but it bored me to tears sadly, after playing about half of it. It absolutely radiates PS2 platformer energy, but I think the time's been and gone for those if you're not playing something you have some kind of nostalgia for.

Let this team work with somebody else to create the actual game framework and it could be phenomenal.

SCB3

One of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen but it bored me to tears sadly, after playing about half of it. It absolutely radiates PS2 platformer energy, but I think the time's been and gone for those if you're not playing something you have some kind of nostalgia for.

Let this team work with somebody else to create the actual game framework and it could be phenomenal.
Came in here to say exactly this, it looks amazing and one of the best looking games out there, but my god is it boring and very outdated mechanically, it feels like an Jak and Daxter or Tak or Croc kinda game without the charm and then added in Dark Souls like combat, its very meh, I quit about 3/4 of the the way through as I was just not enjoying it

BlackTron

The game has outstanding presentation and gets a lot right. My biggest issue was uneven difficulty. If you raise the difficulty enough for the normal enemies to present a challenge, the bosses are an insane difficulty spike. If you lower the difficulty to make the bosses manageable then the rest of the game becomes a joke.

It created a sense of uneven pacing and frustration that made it seem that all effort went into graphics and none to game balance.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Even the pretty graphics get boring. Its just pretty green forests for 20+ hours. Insane how they had 3 different stories and didnt think of creating 3 unique biomes for each.

Kupfer

Didn't finish it, I don't know why. Somehow I wasn't as hooked as I expected to be. But the few hours I played where quiete nice. I think for people who haven't seen everything in other games yet, this is a great game to experience.

Filben

Finished it a few days ago. Difficulty felt uneven at times so I turned it down because after Elden Ring and Sifu I didn't have the patience for another difficult game. Although it has a small cast, there were a lot beautiful moments between the characters. The combat, simple yet fun, was engaging. And the overal traversal and puzzles never too tedious, too long or otherwise boring. The timing is often forgiving, the damage boss encounters inflict is not, however. Animations outside of combat looked a bit stiff to my eyes but I enjoyed the whole visuals and the music.

It's probably a game I won't be playing again but I'll remember fondly.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Went OT searching for this one but couldn't find it.

Started playing this now that it made its way to PS Extra and I'm really liking it.

Visuals are gorgeous, and gameplay, while archaic in some situations is solid enough for me considering I was looking for a more chilled out game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Went OT searching for this one but couldn't find it.

Started playing this now that it made its way to PS Extra and I'm really liking it.

Visuals are gorgeous, and gameplay, while archaic in some situations is solid enough for me considering I was looking for a more chilled out game.
I was reading about this game this morning.

I have it on my watch list on Deku Deals, I’m going to buy it the next time it’s on sale on PSN (£14 was the last sale price).

Ember Labs said at release that it’s only a timed exclusive and that they’ll evaluate other consoles later. Nearly 2 years on I’m guessing they’ve just canned any plans for Xbox/Nintendo.

SkylineRKR

I think PS2 is on the money, i can't explain why, perhaps its the scale or the very basic controls and combat. But I couldn't get through it, I found the gameplay mechanics boring, the combat very dull and I just didn't have fun despite the game looking good.

Actually I was thinking about Jak and Croc etc too, mixed with obligatory run of the mill combat that tries to take cues from the likes of Souls for some reason. Time however has progressed. And yeah, it lacks the charm somehow. Perhaps its the mechanics or dialogue that always tries to be too serious. The same with Knack, when first announced it looked sort of decent but then its a game with a story that takes itself way too seriously. I rather play something like Jak 1 or Crash 2 in that case.

Perhaps its me because I really enjoyed Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom way back on PS3, which was a run of the mill action adventure as well. I even platted that game. Kena doesn't seem to be worse or anything.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The sadest thing about this game, is that it's busted beyond believe visually even on PC with insane level of sharpening and alliasing - literally nothing can fix this, even playing at higher screen resolutions in native rendering or with DLSS.

Last edited:
Had alot of fun with this game. Finished it a couple of days ago. One of the best looking games I seen this gen. Gameplay was alot of fun too. The story and characters are fantastic. It was shorter than I expected though

Vyse

Gold Member
I really enjoyed Kena. Recall some big difficulty spikes at certain points of the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I played the game day one and it was enjoyable, I love perry in most games but in this one it didn’t felt good like other games.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't like it. I thought the game would be more about exploring like a platformer, but it's a pretty linear game with a lot of combat. It just wasn't what I was looking for when I tried it. Looks great though.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Man this was such a nice surprise. I don't know why but at launch I went by the impression the game was badly received and kind of flopped but damn, couldn't I be more wrong.

Just finished the game and it's such a well crafted gem. Puzzles are nice, gameplay is tight and challenging, story is soft but it has meaning and the graphics are really beautiful. The rot minions are right up there with Astrobot minions. They're so damn cool.

I honestly hope this grows up beyond a mere game from an indie studio and we get Kena 2 down the road. This could easily be one heck of platform adventure series Playstation kind of needs.

I might end up buying a physical copy, consider I played the game via PS Extra.

Also, I hope Sony buys Ember Lab now :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

I'm currently playing this and I think I'm in the final boss.
I have really hard critics about this game. I like a lot of things in it, but there are one thing that just enfuriate me: the boss fights.
Why the fuck are they so hard?!
Seriously, almost all boss fights are hard even in normal difficulty, what was the idea behind this? You have this charming cute looking game, with very accessible gameplay and then you are faced with this annoying boss fights.
At the end you face this boss that takes more then 30 tries to finally kill and immediately after you face this annoying final boss with some useless small fights in between just to annoy you a bit more (and to make you loose a bit more health).
And if you die? Well, no checkpoints budy, so start over. And, why not place the player 100 meters away from the boss and keep playing the cut scene, thus taking a bit more time to start the next try?
Who the hell designed this!?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed the boss fights (expect the final one) and beat it on hard but my issue with game is the story is little boring........I thought there would be more to it than that escpially based on short animations they did in the past.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played this a few weeks ago, really loved it. I do agree that the difficulty spikes with the bosses felt rather jarring given how easy most of the regular combat was, but overall I really enjoyed it. Very cozy, relaxing game for me.

Duchess

Why the fuck are they so hard?!
I did 99% of the game on Hard, but finally dropped down to Normal for the final two bosses. It was one of those things where I actually enjoyed the challenge of the bosses.

For those that finish the game - definitely play through it again on New Game+. Things have been changed up, and it's a lot of fun!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I did 99% of the game on Hard, but finally dropped down to Normal for the final two bosses. It was one of those things where I actually enjoyed the challenge of the bosses.

For those that finish the game - definitely play through it again on New Game+. Things have been changed up, and it's a lot of fun!

Hmm cool, probably will after I'm done with Plague Tale Requiem (which I'm unfortunately not enjoying as much, nor as much as the first one).

Top Bottom