• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lost files of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the serrated scalpel

a long time ago, LucasGames was known in the gaming community as one of the best software houses around, and that title certainly was well deserved since almost all their games were no less than superb, in particular the point and click ones. A lot of us will never forget the supreme delight brought by playing games like Day of the tentacle, Monkey Island 1,2,3, Maniac Mansion (let's not forget Zak Mc Kracken!), Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis and more. It was awesome to be a gamer those days.
But as it usually happens in the gaming industry, when everyone's attention is focused at one direction, missing true gems is definitely a sure thing. And I'm going to introduce you one of those forgotten gems, a game that really has nothing to envy to the best LucasGames adventures. I'm talking about The lost files of Sherlock Holmes: The case of the serrated scalpel.

serr_c.jpg
76_1_medium.jpg

developed my Mythos Games, published by EA, this game deserves a comfortable seat among the gods of the genre. I will try to talk about its greatness without trying to sound too enthusiastic, but I'm no reviewer so forgive me if I'll sound way too overheated.

First thing: ask yourself, what do you love about games like DOTT, IJATFOA or MI? The story, obviously, comes first. Gripping plot, lots of twists, occasional humor (more prominent in other games, this is a mystery after all) but we all agree about one thing: the story must be good, and dialogues must be even better. In SH you have both

The story: a young stage actress is found dead just outside the thater. The responde is clear: homicide. Inspector Lestrade and Scoptland Yard are on the case, and surely they don't see how the best detective in the world, Sherlock Holmes and his trusted friend, Dr John Watson, could be interested in what seems to be just an "ordinary" homicide. Holmes steps on the CS, and after a couple of minutes, he notices case's much more interesting that what it looks. Which is true, since you will have to investigate through the whole city of London to search hints, interrogate suspects and witnesses and run for your very life to break the case and arrest the vicious killer. A heavy number of plot twists await you, and you will have to use your brain to see who's behind this terrible plan. As Holmes used to say a number of times, the game is afoot
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_5.png

Dialogues are incredibly well written, and they do really make you feel like you're into a Conan Doyle's story. You ARE in Victorian London, you ARE Sherlock Holmes, you're completely sucked in in a matter of seconds
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_4.png

Second: the music has always been a very important part in a PNC game, and this makes no exception. An intense, melancholic, atmospheric soundtrack sets the right mood, and the suspension of disbelief is guaranteed.

Third: classic interface? Check. You've got the usual serie of commands here, just like in other games. Which is still good and very intuitive.
Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_1.png

1731.jpg

Fourth: graphically, game looks great (for the genre, and for the time). Animations are top notch and everything looks very detailed. Did I mention EVERYTHINBG is clickable in the game? Yes, even if a chair doesn't carry hints or a music box doesn't have a double bottom, you'll read a very detailed and well written description of it. Another big point in an already finely crafted game. Oh, you can skip descriptions with a single click, so don't worry.
4988.jpg

Fifth, and probably my last point: is this game lenghty? You bet it. The excellent story follows the typical pattern: a small thing leads to a bigger thing, a bigger thing leads to a more complicated one and at the end of the game, you'll have spent at least 25 hours, visited a variety of places (a zoo, a college, 221B Baker Street, a morgue, a theater, an apartment, a mansion, a park and more) and met at least 30 characters. And better yet, you'll feel satisfied because game's NOT EASY AT ALL.
4961.jpg

Lost%20Files%20of%20Sherlock%20Holmes%20-%20The%20Case%20of%20Serrated%20Scalpel_3.png
4985.jpg

1729.jpg

4986.jpg

In short: if you happen to be a fan of the old PNC games, if you want to sink your body and soul inside one of the best, original, unofficial Sherlock Holmes stories, if you want a incredibly well written, immensely detailed and captivating game, get The case of the serrated scalpel. It really is a forgotten gem and like I said, it certainly deserves its mention among the other well-known titles.

Well, I definitely like the sound of this game. Is there any place where I could get my hands on a copy? And is it supported by steam? I just got a new vista laptop and have found that the thing seems to despise my old PNC games.

crowphoenix said:
Well, I definitely like the sound of this game. Is there any place where I could get my hands on a copy? And is it supported by steam? I just got a new vista laptop and have found that the thing seems to despise my old PNC games.

well I don't know, game's pretty much abandonware now, so you'd need something like Dosbox and find it somewhere else ;|

mr stroke

damn I wish I could find a copy somewhere or someone put it up on steam or gametap..used to love old Sherlock Holmes games :(

calder said:
Uh, how the hell have I never heard of this before?!?!?

I didn't until six months ago. I kinda remember reading something on some magazine at that time, but skipped the game for some reason (too young to be interested?)

anyway, go and play it friend, you'll thank me

calder

I mean, I love adventure games, I was huge into the genre on PC during the early 90s, I love Sherlock Holmes (if anyone here hasn't tried last years Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened I strongly recommend it, a very solid adventure game and a scary Holmes yarn) so for me to just not know about this is stunning to me. :lol I feel like I let myself down somehow. ;)

Anasui Kishibe said:
if you're a fan this is going to be your wildest dream come true. I'm dead serious. Game's like a Conan Doyle's novel...just longer
QFT

I loved this game and it's sequel. Exactly what a good adventure based on a non-original source should be like. I remember fiddling around with DOS to get all the sound options working as a kid. I remember seeing it in a Compusa and my dad getting it. I actually never beat it till years latter when a friend reveled
using the flower basket to get the cufflinks out of the barrel which leads to the Blackwell!
and it was just starring at me for years (on and off) keep in mind this is only when the UHS was around and paying for online stuff was still a decade or more away from ebay and amazon, so I only could see the questions as the answers were encoded. Also gamefaqs OR SPOILER CENTRE (for the old school fans here) were still a while away.

Just an absolutely great game and one I will replay (along with the sequel) every couple of months or so.

So in the 1.5 years since I last posted did anyone try this game out or the sequel (The Case of the Rose Tattoo)? It's so damn fun and I'd be interested in what people think of it who recently tried it for the first time.

They blow the Frogware games out of the water (and those aren't really bad games). I wish that EA would put this and Rose Tattoo on Steam or GOG. I mean they (or even if its Mythos) have Sherlock Holmes properties, it would seem to be a good time to try and make some money on them with the success of the movie.

Wanace

I actually had this game on 3.5 floppies. I played it through and beat it and it's definitely one of the best adventure games I've ever played. I echo the OP's sentiments wholeheartedly.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So in the 1.5 years since I last posted did anyone try this game out or the sequel (The Case of the Rose Tattoo)? It's so damn fun and I'd be interested in what people think of it who recently tried it for the first time.

They blow the Frogware games out of the water (and those aren't really bad games). I wish that EA would put this and Rose Tattoo on Steam or GOG. I mean they (or even if its Mythos) have Sherlock Holmes properties, it would seem to be a good time to try and make some money on them with the success of the movie.
i didnt try it im sorry about this

Cryptozoologist said:
I actually had this game on 3.5 floppies. I played it through and beat it and it's definitely one of the best adventure games I've ever played. I echo the OP's sentiments wholeheartedly.

Yeah its amazing, and so is Lost Tattoo.

I think I still have the 3.5"'s back at my parents house somewhere. I know I have the manual. I always find it funny when people talk about mandatory installs on current console games, imagine have to wait and flip disks. :D

pubba

Good work, OP. Younger gamers need to learn about hidden gems like this.

I remember playing this at my cousins house many moons ago. We would stay up till the wee hours and ended up obsessed with the game. Fantastic stuff :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this gets a lot of praise, but I found that it suffered from the problem a lot of non-Lucas Arts P and C suffered from: it was really heavily gated/directed.

I mean, LA adventure games were in effect similar, but they felt much more organic. It's hard to articulate.

It's been a while since I've played this, so feel free to berate me if I'm recalling incorrectly.

Rez said:
this gets a lot of praise, but I found that it suffered from the problem a lot of non-Lucas Arts P and C suffered from: it was really heavily gated/directed.

I mean, LA adventure games were in effect similar, but they felt much more organic. It's hard to articulate.

It's been a while since I've played this, so feel free to berate me if I'm recalling incorrectly.

You could investigate locations in a ton of different ways. It was directed a tad, but that is more due to the investigative nature of it. You often got a bunch of locations at once from an interview. Locations would peter out till a new clue would be found, even then you might get a location out of it.

GhaleonQ

I went through both while going through the adventure game sites' reviews, since I had never heard of them. I enjoyed Japanese-style adventure games, so as soon as I realized that these were dialogue-, atmosphere-, and flag-driven games, I really enjoyed them. I think I even liked The Case Of The Rose Tattoo more. That's the only one I felt was "linear," but it did the peripheral stuff better. It's a series I wouldn't recommend to people who play graphic adventures for puzzles, not conversation.

GhaleonQ said:
I went through both while going through the adventure game sites' reviews, since I had never heard of them. I enjoyed Japanese-style adventure games, so as soon as I realized that these were dialogue-, atmosphere-, and flag-driven games, I really enjoyed them. I think I even liked The Case Of The Rose Tattoo more. That's the only one I felt was "linear," but it did the peripheral stuff better. It's a series I wouldn't recommend to people who play graphic adventures for puzzles, not conversation.

I think that might be the reason I like it so much. I hate puzzles.

Totally forgot that this game existed; the pictures just jolted my memory. Loved it. Wouldn't say it's up there with the DOTT/S&M/MI2s of the genre, but it was a superb little mystery.

Sloane said:
Game was amazing, played it for weeks and somehow it never seemed to end. :lol

It certainly felt like a pretty epic game. Even knowing all the solutions it was never easy to speed run. One thing that drove me nuts not knowing I didn't have to actually win at darts.

I also stopped playing for years because I couldn't pixel hunt something in a BARREL! Since this was before anything but the Universal Hint System, I was stuck. A friend eventually told me what I had to do years later and it was awesome to finally finish the game.

Loved this game when I played it. It's one of the few adventure games where you can acquire totally useless items, though, for example
getting medicines from the pharmacy as a distraction[/quote]. And yes, there's pixel hunting. But despite all that, it's a worthy game to play, and a whole lot better than the full-motion video Sherlock Holmes game that came out in the early 90s.

Never played the sequel, though. I'd be interested in it, surely.

someguyinahat said:
Loved this game when I played it. It's one of the few adventure games where you can acquire totally useless items, though, for example
getting medicines from the pharmacy as a distraction

Yeah, I remember thinking, holy crap what is this being used for. :lol Man you could acquire a shit ton of mens cologne in that game.

someguyinahat said:
And yes, there's pixel hunting. But despite all that, it's a worthy game to play, and a whole lot better than the full-motion video Sherlock Holmes game that came out in the early 90s.
Agree, although I do enjoy the FMV games as an interactive movie. I still have the strategy guide to that in which Bruce Shelly adapted the games into stories. I also loved the little recreations of The Times papers you'd get with the game.

The pixel hunting only sucked because for years I couldn't figure out what to do. I suspect had their been more than the Universal Hints System on AOL(!) I would have been able to work around it.

someguyinahat said:
Never played the sequel, though. I'd be interested in it, surely.
That game was even better in some ways. It was definitely a huger game. Though the lab stuff was made easier. The game is more epic an is built upon the solid ground of Scalpel.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I didn't care too much for the sequel, but most because it was so PAINFULLY slow, and the beginning sections were remarkably tedious. There's a little too much "randomly try dialogue options or looking at things to find the trigger" stuff. But the writing and design was at least as good as The Serrated Scalpel.

discoalucard said:
I didn't care too much for the sequel, but most because it was so PAINFULLY slow, and the beginning sections were remarkably tedious. There's a little too much "randomly try dialogue options or looking at things to find the trigger" stuff. But the writing and design was at least as good as The Serrated Scalpel.

I agree, that was always a bit annoying for me. I mean it makes sense, but as a gamer it triggers the LOOK AT EVERYTHING! MAY TRIGGER ADVANCEMENT! mode. :lol I also sort of missed the old school graphics to the motion capture. With the limited voice quality (storage and audio quality) and mo-cap it ages worse than the first one (still I love them both).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Played both this and the sequel when they were released.

Boy when I picked the box and noticed the weight, I knew I was in for a looong install.

Floppies...

As for the game, if I recall correctly, it had several instances of infuriating pixel peeping.

Bitmap Frogs said:
Played both this and the sequel when they were released.

Boy when I picked the box and noticed the weight, I knew I was in for a looong install.

Floppies...

As for the game, if I recall correctly, it had several instances of infuriating pixel peeping.

Yeah, Lost Files, Police Quest 4, and Star Trek Judgment Rites were the kings of big floppy disk installs.

Few people know (and I didn't until recently myself) that the 3DO version had full acting and video for the dialogue. When a character were talk a portrait would appear and video would play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUu8npHkZFo

Start around 4:39. I actually prefer the old school animated portraits myself. The game was gorgeous and had such a unique visual style of 1888 London to it.

Top Bottom