• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Mother 3

Rodolink

I usually share the games Im playing in that other thread, but thought this one deserved its own one.

Just wanted to say that Mother 3 is one hell of a masterpiece! Just finished it yesterday emulated on a RG350.

The industry needs more games like this. Of course Indie studios create and explore on this but big gaming companies need to risk a little more, to make the industry grow as a medium.

The game has an epic story full of wacky, sarcastic, satirical moments. Devs were not afraid of portraying sexual themes and death in a way that could be almost impossible to release on this day. Specially for western audiences. Surprising even Nintendo published it back in the day, although understandable why it was only a japanese release.

Some interesting moments with spoilers next:
-you are given the "sex" power by magical transexual beings called Magypsies
-you get kissed by man mermaids to get oxygen under the ocean
-you eat some magic mushrooms (youre a kid) in a stranded island
-an old man says he likes to be in the asylum because there are cute nurses, and one of them appears saying "shut up old man, you can say these things today is called sexual harassment"
-Your mother dies in the first chapter, and practically your whole family is separated, your dad is depressed and wanders the mountains looking for your brother
-Duster is a thief, silent, bassist lymping protagonist, how awesome is that! in times were most protagonists are perfect superheroes
-The overarching plot is amazing and mindblowing as well, humanity was destroyed, they sent a vessel to an island to start from scratch, the player starts on this island and its "weird" because there is no MONEY people just share with you whatever you need, there is a jail but it has never been used! Up until the damn Porky comes to f* the day, opening the calm citizens eyes

The examples above can open th eeyes of gamers that are interested in exploring different themes appart from the usual epic, of killing monsters to save the day.

There are many examples in the indie side, but who knows maybe we are getting closer on having our Scorcese, Coppola, Von Trier kind of mature games.

Now on more techincal side, the music and graphics are top notch for the GBA era. Cant really imagine having this scope in the cancelled N64 version, and if someone would like to venture today with it, could become a huge ordeal. Would be amazing if Nintendo someday decides to re-release it, although wont be anytime soon.

I know Im talking of a very old game nobody apart from Mother series fans like. But I hope some day we can see more and more games with more varied themes, weird characters, contemporary situations, ironical and surrealistic.

Automatically added to my top list of all time games.
and you should do as well!

Bakkus

I’m about due for a replay. Definitively a better game than Earthbound IMO.
It's hard to judge which is the better game. 3 obiously has the far better story and more interesting characters, but I think overall Earthbound have a larger amount of memorable sequences and locations. It also having more visible space helps too.

Rodolink

another cool thing i forgot to mention was the "rhythm" metagame you can use when attacking, makes it all very fulfilling when you can chain 16 👌

Top Bottom