• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tales of the Abyss

Man what a great JRPG that was. This is my first Tales game, and if the others are as good, I'm excited at the idea of playing them.

Playing this after SMT IV Apocalypse and DQVIII -- two games I found underwhelming in some expects -- was immensely satisfying.

Tales of the Abyss plays exactly like the classic JRPG, especially with the overworld map and the ship you get later. I enjoyed coming back to previous towns to get the story forward but there is a sizeable part of the game where you're constantly making short trips all around the world and it gets tiring. I understand the story requires it though so I'm okay with it.

The battle system is fine but, as I suspected before, mashing buttons, running, and healing is all you need to get through the game. There are interesting features like standing on the field where a spell was cast to imbue your abilities with its element, but it's so unnecessary it didn't make sense to me to go out of my way to do it. Enemies have elemental affiinities but these didn't have much of an impact on battles. Still, it's nice change of pace from the usual turn-based fare.

The best thing about this game is undoubtedly the characters and the world. The whole deal with the Score and the Outer Lands was original and well thought. The skit system is a great way to flesh out party members, and does that possibly more than other RPG series. One of my common frustrations in JRPGs is party members not getting a lot of interactions with others. Here we see the characters reflecting on recent events or bantering. I can see why other games incorporated similar systems later. But not only these dialogues are good, the characters arcs are compelling too. Basically each party member carries a secret, and it makes for a lot of surprises. Lots of tragic moments as well, especially ones where I was thinking "did they really kill off this character?!". Tear is the most wholesome female character I've seen in a while. I also found the English voice acting to be excellent. Too bad the skits aren't voiced.

The soundtrack is mostly good with a few standout themes, notably the tracks for serious and dramatic moments. The final boss theme is beautiful, it's uplifting instead of ominous. The dungeon themes were the weakest part of the soundtrack though.

Tales of the Abyss is the best 3DS RPG I played this year (last year's being Xenoblade) and it'll stay with me. I'm glad to have had the chance to play it.

Also there is an anime adaptation and it's worth checking if you're not planning to play the game.

Last thing: the opening theme is fantastic.

ZZZZ

Skits are incredible, i miss them when i play other rpgs, i love silly interactions between characters so much.
My favorite skits are probably the ones in Vesperia just because Yuri is hilarious.

I think the only other game that does this so well is GTA, the banter between characters in 5 are hilarious.

I love this type of stuff, i wish Final Fantasy would do this more.
They did increase the dialogue between characters in XV and VIIR but i feel like it's not enough, at least for me.

Last edited:
Lol, just wanted to start a LTTP but this popped up.

Just finished the 3DS version. I'm a big tales fan and yes this game was great although it was not as good as some tales fans hyped it up to be imo.

Loved the story but was a bit convoluted with all the fonon crap. Also a lot of backtracking.

Great cast and not as irritating as the cast from an average tales game lol. And didn't really like Mieu, the game deserved a better mascot...

Also another important part of the game didn't really click for me, (SPOILER ALERT) Luke's progression from asshole to good guy was too sudden after the destruction of Akzeriuth. It should have been a slower progress imo. Even though he's actually only 7 years old, it was just weird to me.

Boring open world too with not enough towns to discover. Even the bigger towns/cities were just a couple of areas, just not big enough at all imo.

Battle system was good enough but not as good as the later tales games.

Side quests were also lacking and just ok.

But overall it was a very entertaining and pleasant experience, a must play for tales fans.

The performance of this game was lacking too imo. Sadly the textures of the 3DS version were bad and my god did this game need anti-aliasing, the jaggies oh man... Also a lot of slowdown in the open world section. Luckily the battles were fluid and almost no loading.

I understand the 70's meta score it has: https://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/tales-of-the-abyss

But I would rate it in the lower 80's

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Marcus Aurelius Marcus Aurelius . I share your sentiments -- the game design ranges from decent to underwhelming but the game is carried by the characters and good story moments. It explains why Abyss is pretty popular among fans.

Last edited:
I have really fond memories of this game.

Tales was never about good stories, but good character development and addicting gameplay. I haven't seen that on the most recent Tales games I played, they really need to get back to this.

I actually modded my PS2 with a HDD for this game, because of the long loadings it had otherwise. Ah, and I had to import it from US and played the undub.

Never bought the 3DS version though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom