• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4

OZ9000

Banned
Finally played this game. I enjoyed it a lot - although I must say I think Uncharted 2 was a better experience overall, though U4 had better gameplay. Nevertheless, I am glad I played it and the ending was satisfying.

- Combat was fun and varied.
- Graphics are very good. The game has a lot of 'wow' moments.
- Story, writing and characters were great. This game clearly wouldn't fly in 2023 as it would likely be far too 'cis normative'. Surprised Druckmann wrote this game.
- The levels are varied although I must say there was far too much platforming than I anticipated, so the game does drag on in the middle. I am not a fan of the pacing - there were occasions where I was begging for the game to end. Far too many meaningless flashbacks which overstay their welcome.
- Many of the design elements got boring fast e.g. breaking ledges, bridges etc. Every fucking platform segment featured these scripted segments and it was annoying.

All in all, a solid 8/10 experience. However, I would not play again - the game is far too long to be enjoyed a second time.

6r7p7EV.png

tMe4Jq0.png

qY5DHSJ.png

ndo6WeW.png

uOk0CTb.png

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
- Story, writing and characters were great. This game clearly wouldn't fly in 2023 as it would likely be far too 'cis normative'. Surprised Druckmann wrote this game.
This game would sell a crap ton today, because it is a very good game. Lost Legacy even more so.

This narrative about Neil Druckmann is idiotic. The man had the audacity to represent people other than what you typically see in games in his stories and all of a sudden he's the devil?

He's clearly a good writer/director and has made it an intentional goal of his to include LGBTQ+ characters in his game. Why is that a bad thing?

Bragr

Banned
I loved Uncharted 4 and never understood some of the strange criticism. I found it far better than Lost Legacy.

But the platforming segments that you mentioned are simply too excessive. While it may look dramatic, you know you just need to hold the joystick in a direction and the character moves like a puppet up the cliffside.

It's something that makes the game feel like watching a slightly interactive clay animation at times, as you can see the figure methodically following each part of the script.

I don't know how to improve the climbing and parkour and remove the robotic staged feeling, but it needs to be done by the next Uncharted.

Tommi84

I think I'm officially Uncharted out.

Have no desire to play another Uncharted game unless they re-release Uncharted 2 in 4K60.
Nah, man. Just play Lost Legacy. It had far better pacing and is just shy of bring THE BEST of the series.

Graphics are beautiful, locations are TOP NOTCH, it's shorter so it doesn't outstay it's welcome. It touches culture not seen in Uncharted games before. Not that many platforming, it even doesn't have that many 'boxes' to move and walk on them.

Especially that you don't play as Nathan

Give yourself few months and just play it!

Last edited:

Loomy

I don't know how to improve the climbing and parkour and remove the robotic staged feeling, but it needs to be done by the next Uncharted.
I wonder how much of that is them wanting to keep the feel of the traversal similar to UC2 and UC3. It did feel kind of out of place with how smooth the rest of the game was though.

I loved Uncharted 4 and never understood some of the strange criticism. I found it far better than Lost Legacy.
Main reason I prefer LL over UC4 is the length, to be honest. I thought the story in 4 was very well done, and Drake/Elena/Sully had good endings to their story, but man did it feel like it was dragging at certain parts.

One can just imagine how spectacular the first real next-gen title from ND will look like. If it‘s as outstanding as U4 was on PS4 we‘ll scratch the edge of photorealism.

OZ9000

Banned
Nah, man. Just play Lost Legacy. It had far better pacing and is just shy of bring THE BEST of the series.

Graphics are beautiful, locations are TOP NOTCH, it's shorter so it doesn't outstay it's welcome. It touches culture not seen in Uncharted games before. Not that many platforming, it even doesn't have that many 'boxes' to move and walk on them.

Especially that you don't play as Nathan

Give yourself few months and just play it!
I will give it a go in a few months to give myself a mental break from the Uncharted series.

Majormaxxx

This game would sell a crap ton today, because it is a very good game. Lost Legacy even more so.

This narrative about Neil Druckmann is idiotic. The man had the audacity to represent people other than what you typically see in games in his stories and all of a sudden he's the devil?

He's clearly a good writer/director and has made it an intentional goal of his to include LGBTQ+ characters in his game. Why is that a bad thing?
Because it doesn't reflect the percentage of real world people with this profile.

Because it has the agenda of social manipulation instead of pure entertainment.

Because it betrays the core of the games as they were originally envisioned.

TrueLegend

The PC port now offers much higher LOD than PS5 with Ultra setting finally working since last patch but the memory leak makes it infuriating to play.

Game took itself too seriously in terms of characters and story telling, I didn’t buy into some of the story elements too. However from a graphical and technical perspective I do adore the game.

I really loved the action-comedy style of the first three games, it made sense from a story perspective and it was the one thing that was lacking from the Tomb Raider franchise.

Hunnybun

I was playing it last night and I have to say, at 1440p and like 80-90fps the game just looks spectacular.

There are parts that I can't imagine EVER looking bad.

It might be the first 3d game that'll always stand the test of time. At least in certain parts, anyway. The caves in the Scotland level, for example - it's approaching photo realism.

Loomy

Because it doesn't reflect the percentage of real world people with this profile.

Because it has the agenda of social manipulation instead of pure entertainment.

Because it betrays the core of the games as they were originally envisioned.
Why does it need to meet a certain ratio? Besides, a game with 20 characters with meaningful dialogue, plus hundreds of other NPCs and 3 gay people is what? Two too many?

The agenda is getting marginalized people represented in the media they consume. Unless you live in a world where you can pretend gay/queer people don't exist, there's nothing manipulative here. These people have always existed and they always will. And guess what? Society is still sometimes shit and it has as much to do with them as it does with you and me.

Core of games as it was originally envisioned? What does that even mean? Someone created a program for people to enjoy something together on a computer. I highly doubt the person who invented the first videogame thought "Here's something only for the straights!". And if he did, fuck him. We can do better.

You can too.

UC4 is my favorite of the series.
World hopping big grand adventure with pirates.

My biggest complaint of the entire series is how the opposition just bulldozers ahead of your character.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I got about 7 or 8 hours in and was just kinda bored and never went back. It looks good but a lot of the gameplay kinda feels on rails.

Majormaxxx

Why does it need to meet a certain ratio? Besides, a game with 20 characters with meaningful dialogue, plus hundreds of other NPCs and 3 gay people is what? Two too many?

The agenda is getting marginalized people represented in the media they consume. Unless you live in a world where you can pretend gay/queer people don't exist, there's nothing manipulative here. These people have always existed and they always will. And guess what? Society is still sometimes shit and it has as much to do with them as it does with you and me.

Core of games as it was originally envisioned? What does that even mean? Someone created a program for people to enjoy something together on a computer. I highly doubt the person who invented the first videogame thought "Here's something only for the straights!". And if he did, fuck him. We can do better.

You can too.
No piece of entertainment should be lecturing, virtue signaling, pandering or shoving stuff down your throat.

Woke culture in gaming and gaming "journalism" is doing representation the wrong way.

If you want examples of this done right, here's a short list for you to explore :

A Single Man, 2009 (movie, dir. Tom Ford)
Happy Together, 1997 (movie, dir. Wong Kar Wai)
Blue is the Warmest Color, 2010 (graphic novel, written/illustrated by J. Maroh)

Last edited:
UC4 (and lost legacy) was the last meaningful Platinum trophy from Sony first party too, the crashing difficulty did test ones skill and perseverance.

After UC4 all first party game platinums were all brainless chore checklist completion.

b0uncyfr0

I just started playing this and i cant stop. It really is an experience. I can only imagine how awesome this was when i came out on the PS4 ages ago.

Some mechanics are dated, especially the shooting and combat but overall it's doing alot of things right ; the animations, voice acting, not holding your hand with waypoints and a map, the visuals and the spectacular set piece action sequences. The textures in this game look better than most games released this/last year, it's crazy.

If only game develoeprs would look at this and incorprate some elements into they're souless games, we wouldnt be going downhill.

Artistic

I didn’t have a issue with the plat forming. I felt there was way too many stealth sections when I played it on Hard. Like every chapter had one or two sections and it wasn’t always the easiest experience.

my fav uncharted and one of best games ever. I love it and replay it at least once a year

Same. I adore this game. Was my favorite game of last gen along with Bloodborne and GoW.

It's not perfect obviously and if someone hates scripted, cinematic moments they won't like it.

I would've likes a couple less climbing sections and a couple more shooting galleries like the one thar takes place high in the mountains (the one that debuted the game).

The Alcazar flashback stuff was a but cheap but they made up for it with the excellent Henry Avery story. The Nate/Elena subplot was kinda cringe but it worked.

The puzzles were great. I personally liked the pacing. The combat was great and the car chase setpiece is legendary.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Same. I adore this game. Was my favorite game of last gen along with Bloodborne and GoW.

It's not perfect obviously and if someone hates scripted, cinematic moments they won't like it.

I would've likes a couple less climbing sections and a couple more shooting galleries like the one thar takes place high in the mountains (the one that debuted the game).

The Alcazar flashback stuff was a but cheap but they made up for it with the excellent Henry Avery story. The Nate/Elena subplot was kinda cringe but it worked.

The puzzles were great. I personally liked the pacing. The combat was great and the car chase setpiece is legendary.
The only stuff that I could do less with is exploding mummies. One or two is fine but not 100.
Their alcazar stuff is also something that doesn’t work when replaying. Could’ve been just a story from Sam. Playing it is too much

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted 4 was about team building, sully, nathan drake’s brother or cousin etc. it’s the most underrated uncharted and Sony exclusive.
Playstation 4 Game GIF by Naughty Dog

RAIDEN1

For me as Playstation exclusives go, Uncharted 4 is better than God of bore 2018 edition...(sorry I mean God of WAR) I've tried to get into this game (my first ever experience with a God of War game..) but I just don't find it addicting.....just a slog from one-mini-boss to the next....

Now play Lost Legacy. The spin off improves from the main game by having more balanced pacing.
Lost Legacy, for obvious reasons but also length and level design wise, feels a lot closer to Uncharted 2 with new graphics. I imagine that's how a modern remake of that game would feel.

Uncharted is at it's best when it's a tighter experience gameplay and set piece wise regardless of the length of the game in chapters.

Not bringing back Greg Edonson as the composer for this final tale was a universal tragedy, the likes of which we may never see again.

Last edited:

Loope

I never liked heavy scripted games, bought this on pc on a whim and i'm actually glad i did it.

The graphics are obviously superb, because that's what ND is known for.

What i wasn't expecting is the fun i had with the shooting arenas, that was really great.

Loved the plot, because the child in my just loves everything with adventure and especially pirates and although there are some iffy/cringe stuff the rest is great.

Puzzles are entertaining, could do with less climbing sections but all in all really liked the game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
When it works it's amazing, but overall I wasn't into this new direction for the series. It just got too serious and proto-Abby sucked, which no doubt is Neil Duckman's doing.

I'll never forgive ND for shafting Amy Henning for this. From the info that's available out there, her version of the game sounded like something that I would enjoy more because it sounded more in line with the PS3 trilogy. Plus it had Alan Tudyk, damn it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom