• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Verge]Why Microsoft might be considering Xbox exclusives on PlayStation and Nintendo Switch

These options seem like a kind of blackmail "if you want the day one games in the pass they also have to come out on PS" or "if you want those Sonyers not to touch the games, forget about day one games and you will have to buy them" xDD.

FrankWza

This for me is the biggest tell there's something going on behind the scenes other than just random rumors. Phil - never shuts up -Spencer hasn't said a word in weeks. What's up with that?!
He's probably been muzzled by the higher-ups. It's happened before once or twice

Topher

Gold Member
I think people need to realize that MS is not concerned with selling systems really. They are interested in active users and or subs.

So they want 2 categories of games, one being a game that adds value to gamepass. That's a game that isn't free to play but is included in GP. And two, a game that has its own way of capturing monthly or seasonal revenue.

I think any game that is likely to draw customers or keep customers in Gamepass will be exclusive. They need new games at a decent cadence to keep people paying.

Any game that is free(or makes more $ from GaaS) and doesn't add value to GP will be available as many places as they can get it. They want as many season passes as possible.

Thirdly games that don't really add either will be case by case.

Microsoft absolutely is concerned with selling systems. Phil Spencer stated in emails to Nadella about how XSX had the advantage over PS5 this generation. Spencer said publicly he wanted to win this generation. Nadella bragged to stockholders when Xbox outsold PS5 in the US for three straight quarters.

Edit: I should clarify to say that Microsoft "was" concerned with selling systems. That may have changed now that things haven't gone as they had hoped.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I mean, I'll be playing them all on PC but if PlayStation gamers get to play them all too, cool. One less console to buy to have access to most gsmes. So Xbox will sell to Game Pass subscribers who only play on console and pretty much no one else.

It's a win for MS either way. Making money off of the competition and making money from Game Pass subs. Sony and Nintendo gamers will make it less of a risk to release on Game Pass.

wolffy66

Microsoft absolutely is concerned with selling systems. Phil Spencer stated in emails to Nadella about how XSX had the advantage over PS5 this generation. Spencer said publicly he wanted to win this generation. Nadella bragged to stockholders when Xbox outsold PS5 in the US for three straight quarters.
Sure they would brag about selling well. But selling systems doesn't make enough money unless they sell a sub with it. So end of the day it's always subs. A console without one isn't a good ROI unless ur Nintendo and own all the IP.

Topher

Gold Member
Sure they would brag about selling well. But selling systems doesn't make enough money unless they sell a sub with it. So end of the day it's always subs. A console without one isn't a good ROI unless ur Nintendo and own all the IP.

Not just brag publicly, but privately. That's shows "concern" my man. Game Pass only brings in 10-15% of their game revenue so no, it isn't "always subs" when they make the vast majority of theri game revenue from sales.

Cyberpunkd

Well, their consoles aren't selling well, selling Xbox games to many consumers as possible may be their way out.
Or - wait for it - they concentrate on improving sales of their consoles?

Audrey Whitby Reaction GIF by AwesomenessTV

jwaxeman

Exclusive AAA games cost $100 million to make or more especially when you factor in marketing. Selling those games to a tiny slice of the market is extremely stupid when you’re not even making a profit on hardware sales. Even for Sony it’s going to become increasingly important to access more of the market.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I endorsed cross play multiplayer I don’t think that matters to console warriors, if Microsoft decides to put their exclusives on Sony PlayStation that’s more fuel for the PlayStation Sony fanboy base.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Jez getting the grean team prepped

"Hypothetical", I see you jez

This is one heck of a question though. Looks like most of Jez's followers would be okay with MS 1st party games going multiplatform, if it meant that they could keep them Day One on GamePass.

Top Bottom