• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar: Dragon Song (NDS) Screens

olimario

Banned
41951020050713_161519_4_big.jpg
41951020050713_161518_0_big.jpg
41951020050713_161518_1_big.jpg
41951020050713_161518_2_big.jpg
41951020050713_161518_3_big.jpg

Ranger X

The style and size of the character sprites makes me think of Suikoden. The angle in the battle scenes too. I hope it's as hot as Suikoden and previous Lunar...

Jeff-DSA

Wow, that's nice. I'm not slated for a review on this one, so I'll have to pick it up as soon as it hits shelves. The wait for this has seemed very long.

The Nintendo Power interview made it sound like you can't choose which enemies to target in battle and that the overall battle system was very automated and simplistic. I hope that such is not the case. I hated when like enemy groups in Dragon Warrior games would randomly select an enemy for you to target, and it sounds like this may be the case for all enemies.

Ranger X

Diomedeskun said:
The Nintendo Power interview made it sound like you can't choose which enemies to target in battle and that the overall battle system was very automated and simplistic. I hope that such is not the case. I hated when like enemy groups in Dragon Warrior games would randomly select an enemy for you to target, and it sounds like this may be the case for all enemies.

Please God no. It better be your interpretation.

Looks fugly to me. The overworlds in most RPGs piss me off, and this one looks worse than most.

Note to Nintendo: if you're going to make 2D games on the DS please make them look better than early SNES games. Thank you.

jarrod

Banned
Looks nasty. I hate the perspectives, battle sprites and overworld bitmaps too, the whole game looks like the unholy lovechild of Lunar and Grandia developed on RPGmaker or something. :/

Tony HoTT

Banned
The game doesn't look that good in my opinion; however it will be interesting to see how a touch based interface works out on RPGs if they go that route.

The battle sprites in the front are a little too pixellated and the floor on that top left screens is fucked up for no reason.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
Looks nasty. I hate the perspectives, battle sprites and overworld bitmaps too, the whole game looks like the unholy lovechild of Lunar and Grandia developed on RPGmaker or something. :/

Yes, you nailed it...it feels RPGmakerish for some reason...like a fan-project.

Mashing

Phoenix Dark said:
Looks fugly to me. The overworlds in most RPGs piss me off, and this one looks worse than most.

Note to Nintendo: if you're going to make 2D games on the DS please make them look better than early SNES games. Thank you.

What does Nintendo have to do with development for this game? Game Arts is doing it and Marvelous is publishing. And besides you don't want to talk smack about Nintendo 2d prowess... look at Mario and Luigi 2.

Shouta

Hot damn, that looks like a generic version of Lunar which is scary because Lunar is a generic RPG itself. The have the character design concepts down but man, talk about using a generic style.

.hacked

Shouta said:
Hot damn, that looks like a generic version of Lunar which is scary because Lunar is a generic RPG itself. The have the character design concepts down but man, talk about using a generic style.

Do you like anything?

I suppose if we ALL unjustly earned millions of dollars and lived the life of sloth we could afford to like EVERYTHING like you, you fucking idiot.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Phoenix Dark said:

Nintendo makes Lunar?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Looks slightly less horrid then when it was first unveiled. Why did they have to go and name one of the main characters Lucia by the way? Since this is a prequel I figured maybe she's the Lucia from Lunar 2 but this one looks nothing like her. o.o?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Lindsay said:
Looks slightly less horrid then when it was first unveiled. Why did they have to go and name one of the main characters Lucia by the way? Since this is a prequel I figured maybe she's the Lucia from Lunar 2 but this one looks nothing like her. o.o?
Maybe it's her mother? :|

Deku

Banned
The 2-D art in many of the screens look a bit dated, they don't look as polished as what I've seen done 2-D wise lately.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if that description above of the battle system is true. Doesn't sound good...

The town screen looks dull as well...

They just list all of the possible locations on the bottom screen and you select them? No exploration?

Seems like it could be a VERY simplistic RPG.

dark10x said:

They just list all of the possible locations on the bottom screen and you select them? No exploration?.

Nope, from what i've read the only time you explore is dungeons. The overworld and towns are done by selecting a name on the map.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
SolidSnakex said:
Nope, from what i've read the only time you explore is dungeons. The overworld and towns are done by selecting a name on the map.

And this along with the battle system will kill it. RPG's like this = non-interactvity = non-games. There. I said it~this is yet another DS non-game.

Ranger X

dark10x said:
I wonder if that description above of the battle system is true. Doesn't sound good...

They just list all of the possible locations on the bottom screen and you select them? No exploration?

Seems like it could be a VERY simplistic RPG.

uh oh. **enters the "prepared to be deceived mode"**

Deku

Banned
Lindsay said:
And this along with the battle system will kill it. RPG's like this = non-interactvity = non-games. There. I said it~this is yet another DS non-game.

That's going a bit far.

Shouta

.hacked said:
sometimes.

Ok.

And no, I don't hate everything. You need to pay attention to anime threads more and what I post in them or you can go to the massive "Rate all the anime shows/ovas" thread we had months ago and look at my list.

Ironclad

It looks okay. Pretty meh if you ask me. The exploration bit is garbage though. Also the card system, ugh. I'll wait and see on this, but i'll end up buying it eventually.

Vargas

The game looks awful. Why is this game being made anyway? What does it have to do with Lunar in the first place?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The game is being created by the same team responsible for the Lunar remakes on the PSOne, and being supervised by GameArts. Like it or not, THIS is the next Lunar. It takes place a millennium or so before the FIRST Lunar, and thus, will be the first in the chronology.

Last month's interview in NP was very encouraging. It does not feature a card battling system as some people seem to fear. You can, however, find Battle Cards to augment your attacks and abilities.

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
The game is being created by the same team responsible for the Lunar remakes on the PSOne, and being supervised by GameArts. Like it or not, THIS is the next Lunar. It takes place a millennium or so before the FIRST Lunar, and thus, will be the first in the chronology.

Last month's interview in NP was very encouraging. It does not feature a card battling system as some people seem to fear. You can, however, find Battle Cards to augment your attacks and abilities.
Yeah, I read that interview in NP as well. I am aware of the card system. The NP write-up was good but it's the exploratio bit that kind of has me turned off. Looks like this really is the next incarnation in the Lunar series. Like I said, I am gonna pick this one up anyway, and this is previous reason is all the more reason to do so.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Day 1 sale for me. The Lunar whore demands it.

Edit - Despite the graphics changes, I'm not too worried about the gameplay. What does have me concerned, however, is that Iwadare won't be doing the soundtrack. Hell, didn't he all but confirm a few years ago that he had all of the music for a Lunar 3 done? Guess not... :/

Ironclad

Mejilan said:
Day 1 sale for me. The Lunar whore demands it.
Yeah, my Silvar Star Story Complete box and Eternal Blue Complete box are both glaring at me, demanding that I purchase this day one. I'll probably end up doing so.

Top Bottom