• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest series creator reassures fans that Dragon Quest 12 is still in development

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm willing to put 20 bucks on the guy also having either Trunks' hair bob or Goku's spiky hair.
We got Trunks on the last one, it's time for the Goku one.

Maybe a helmet/bandana, if they feel daring enough. :goog_relieved:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hmm.... wasn't the last one badly received?

Well. Ok, then.
I had very low expectations for Star Ocean 6 but I really enjoyed it. Try out the demo if you’re iffy about it.

Ray (the main character) looks like such a douchebag. I expected to hate him but I found him to be maybe my favorite MC in the series. Instead of some generic teenager with a “strong sense of justice”, he’s just some salty space trucker dude who’s having a really shitty day and gets pulled into something he never wanted to get involved with.

Hudo

Methos#1975

I had very low expectations for Star Ocean 6 but I really enjoyed it. Try out the demo if you’re iffy about it.

Ray (the main character) looks like such a douchebag. I expected to hate him but I found him to be maybe my favorite MC in the series. Instead of some generic teenager with a “strong sense of justice”, he’s just some salty space trucker dude who’s having a really shitty day and gets pulled into something he never wanted to get involved with.
Did they ever fix the UI, I stopped playing it due to how small everything is

Buggy Loop

Plot twist: It's gonna be a bald girl.

822.jpg

Fan art sadly is ahead of you on this one... Krillin with tits is a thing 🤮

Rran

I will definitely miss one of them and not the one they composed the music after his greedy ass messing up XI.
The claim that Sugiyama withheld orchestrated music in order to sell more concert tickets is just a bunch of speculation that people started treating as fact for some reason. Plenty of game composers don't use live music in their games; case in point, when asked about this, he essentially had the same response Koji Kondo did: that he feels synth music works better in video games for nostalgic reasons. I don't agree with that reasoning (just like I didn't agree with Kondo keeping the same OST for Ocarina 3D), but it doesn't mean they're greedy. Either way, at least XI S got its orchestra eventually.

That WRPG/JRPG meme posted earlier is pretty dumb. Not only does it cherry-pick examples from both genres and ignore any contrary to them (such as the protagonists from FF, Octopath, Skies of Arcadia, etc), but the entire premise is faulty. Japanese games have used player-insert ciphers since the mid-80s with Link and the hero of DQ1. It's not necessarily a bad thing either, because the best JRPGs still deliver plenty of good writing, storytelling, and personality even with the audience surrogate protagonists.

Looking forward to DQ12. I'll miss Toriyama and Sugiyama but Horii knows what makes this series great.

Oh yeah the guy was disingenuous as F

I just said in my first post please don't be a westernized mature JRPG

And these WRPG lovers tend to act all superior to people who love JRPGs

And like to shit up threads that have JRPGs as the main topic in them

BTW most WRPGs suck

I played a ton before and there's only a handful I love

I'll take my Trails, Xenoblade, Star Ocean, Chrono etc over the WRPG bland shit so take that

Especially for the WAIFUs

The only ones salty are you WRPG Lovers who tend to shit up any thread involving JRPGs, Anime or anything Japanese in general

ENSz5PM.gif

Tropic Thunder GIF

Last edited:
Coming from the guy who's making a mountain out of a molehill (for a start) and whining the entire thread about HIS dumb generalizations not being taken seriously.

You're the one who's generalizing

The only one who is whining is you

Whine Whine Whine Whine

I can't take you seriously either Dum Dum

Last edited:

Isa

I believe it(the game still being in development that is), and need an update for III-make desperately. I don't mind Hori taking his sweet time with this, make it something truly special. The franchise has a momentous legacy behind it and I'd hope he sends the potentially final one with him at the helm off with a righteous bang.

I get the worry in the past over changes, I'm not so worried. Could be he or Squeenix execs wanted to try something else a bit more edgy, and there has been plenty of death, murder, treachery, romance, suggested adult themes and such but I can see a few more grey area themes explored.

What I would reallllly love is a huge sendoff with references to the OG I-V games. And in particular bring back selectable male/female heroes and create a party! I know it won't happen but I can dream. Some hidden stuff and exploration ala 2&3 would be fun. Regardless I'm in.

I believe it(the game still being in development that is), and need an update for III-make desperately. I don't mind Hori taking his sweet time with this, make it something truly special. The franchise has a momentous legacy behind it and I'd hope he sends the potentially final one with him at the helm off with a righteous bang.

I get the worry in the past over changes, I'm not so worried. Could be he or Squeenix execs wanted to try something else a bit more edgy, and there has been plenty of death, murder, treachery, romance, suggested adult themes and such but I can see a few more grey area themes explored.

What I would reallllly love is a huge sendoff with references to the OG I-V games. And in particular bring back selectable male/female heroes and create a party! I know it won't happen but I can dream. Some hidden stuff and exploration ala 2&3 would be fun. Regardless I'm in.
I'm fine with them adding western elements as long as they still have the identity intact

Xenoblade Chronicles Franchise is a good example of a JRPG having Western Elements but still feeling distinctly Japanese

I hope that's the case with DQ12

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I think DQ12 will mostly be good. I have concerns after that. Sugiyama and Toriyama being gone is a big blow to tank at once.

Top Bottom