• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar Genesis NDS Famitsu scan

Wow, it looks like a *real* RPG.

Is this really a part of the Lunar RPG series?

I had Silver Star on Sega CD many years ago...it was the first time I heard voice acting on a game...it was amazing then. I still have that sense of awe just thinking of first hearing a character talk.

duckroll

The thing Game Arts seems to be doing on this project is "character supervision" and "illustration design", which means the game is completely developed by Marvelous staff. It looks really bad, so it's most likely doomed. With certain developers it's best not to expect anything good at all, so once every thousand years you get surprised. :lol

jarrod

Banned
john tv said:
The game is developed by Marvelous, not Game Arts.
A team at Marvelous made up of some former GA staff it seems according to Ubisoft (in their words "the creators of Lunar" are making this game). So far at least Lunar's character designer (Toshiyuki Kubooka) is confirmed to be there.

neo2046 said:
no
I also prefer the old style
hope the original staff and Game Arts make the new system well
Ack, still looks like ass. I've sort of given up hope... really, it's not like Lunar's a hugely complex formula. Why can't anyone make a decent portable iteration? :/

That fan mockup of Four Hero Story GBA looks a billion times better than this...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
duckroll said:
The thing Game Arts seems to be doing on this project is "character supervision" and "illustration design", which means the game is completely developed by Marvelous staff. It looks really bad, so it's most likely doomed. With certain developers it's best not to expect anything good at all, so once every thousand years you get surprised. :lol

I don't think it looks bad at all it has a nice amount of color depth definitely better than the past 2 games.

john tv

jarrod said:
A team at Marvelous made up of some former GA staff it seems according to Ubisoft (in their words "the creators of Lunar" are making this game). So far at least Lunar's character designer (Toshiyuki Kubooka) is confirmed to be there.
Yah, I dunno. I don't trust those words at all. The game looks like garbage. Not that Lunar wasn't a bit overrated in the first place, but still. I highly doubt many of the original staff are involved. At least not anyone important, anyway.

Jonnyram

Hmm, on the homepage, in the Japanese part, only Game Arts are listed as developers. I think Marvellous are just publishing. I didn't even think they had internal developers at mmvi...

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Hmm, on the homepage, in the Japanese part, only Game Arts are listed as developers. I think Marvellous are just publishing. I didn't even think they had internal developers at mmvi...
Now that you mention it, I don't think they do have internal R&D at Marvelous. Marucome makes Harvest Moon/River King, Artoon made Swords of Destiny, WorkJam makes Detective Shinto Shrine, Nastume makes Fish Eyes, Dream Factory makes UFC... has Marvelous made any of their own games so far?

john tv

Marvelous does have internal developers (I've met them), but it's still not clear exactly who is doing the work. I really, REALLY doubt it's Game Arts though. Even if it is Game Arts, they most likely farmed out the development to someone else and are simply producing from the inside, as often happens in Japan (a lot of the time, without even the Western publisher's knowledge). It just wouldn't make any sense, financially, for GA to waste internal resources on a project like this... it's gonna be a total dud everywhere in the world.

You never know, though. Logic doesn't always apply to Japan. :)

jarrod

Banned
I doubt it's GA either, given they're killing themselves getting Grandia III done (plus they have Project GO and a new DS RPG on the table when that wraps up). Ducky's instincts about Marvelous developing (or a different farmed out team) with GA overseeing and maybe contributing art is probably on target. GA did the same thing with Kadowkawa Shoten/JAM on the Saturn/PS1 Lunar remakes and with MediaRings on Lunar Legend. Same story with Kama Digital on GG Xbox too actually.

Cherubae

jarrod said:
Marucome makes Harvest Moon/River King

As far as I can tell from his web blog, "marucome" just does the character designing for the Harvest Moon series. He's only recently become involved with the River King games with the latest Ps2 version.

Whoever is doing the actual development for the latest Harvest Moon games needs to do some serious testing before they release their games. The last two (GC and DS) are absolutely horrible when it comes to game lockups and glitches. It's like they didn't even bother doing any quality testing on them before publishing.

jarrod

Banned
Cherubae said:
As far as I can tell from his web blog, "marucome" just does the character designing for the Harvest Moon series. He's only recently become involved with the River King games with the latest Ps2 version.

Whoever is doing the actual development for the latest Harvest Moon games needs to do some serious testing before they release their games. The last two (GC and DS) are absolutely horrible when it comes to game lockups and glitches. It's like they didn't even bother doing any quality testing on them before publishing.
Marumcome's a him?!? I always thought Marucome was a development team. :/

Actually, I've noticed a lot of Victor's games suffering after the Marvelous merger. Perhaps Victor's own R&D was simply cut and Marvelous took over entirely?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Geez guys, I don't think this game looks *THAT* bad. I'll take any sort of RPG goodness on the DS though right now, though.

I'm not saying it looks good per se, but for those who say it looks bad or will be bad, just wondering what in particular of the things that are known/shown gives that impression? I haven't read up much on the game so just wondering from those who know what's up with this game. To be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if it was bad, but I'm hoping it will warrent a purchase upon release.

Deku

Banned
Translation:

NDS RPG +1 must dig grave for game before knowing anything else about the game because that's what you do with the DS, even if you're proven wrong. Keep trying, you'll be right one of these days.

Cherubae

jarrod said:
Actually, I've noticed a lot of Victor's games suffering after the Marvelous merger. Perhaps Victor's own R&D was simply cut and Marvelous took over entirely?

I feel the same way. Friends of Mineral Town was glitch free (published right at the start of the merger), but AWL had a cows-freeze-in-barn problem that plagued a few players. Songs of Happiness had several serious bugs (one of them forced me to restart my entire game half-way through). Sprite Station is also rittled with issues like random freezing, oddities, graphical glitches, the new "basement" locking up your game, and an over zelous garbage can that lets you throw away your tools and your blue feather (and you can't buy another).

With SoH Marvelous accepted the responsibility and allowed players to send in their GC memory cards but they've been quiet about Sprite Station.

I hope the new Lunar game doesn't have the same problems that their previous DS venture had.

Auron

It's kind of odd the game looks more Suikoden than Lunar. The DS needs more "real" games like this though, so I'll support it.

Top Bottom