• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Luxury" music festival organised by Ja Rule turns into Lord of the Flies sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahamutPT

There's a recent update on their website:

As amazing as the islands are, the infrastructure for a festival of this magnitude needed to be built from the ground up. So, we decided to literally attempt to build a city. We set up water and waste management, brought an ambulance from New York, and chartered 737 planes to shuttle our guests via 12 flights a day from Miami. We thought we were ready, but then everyone arrived.

Then something amazing happened: venues, bands, and people started contacting us and said they’d do anything to make this festival a reality and how they wanted to help. The support from the musical community has been overwhelming and we couldn’t be more humbled or inspired by this experience. People were rooting for us after the worst day we’ve ever had as a company. After speaking with our potential partners, we have decided to add more seasoned event experts to the 2018 Fyre Festival, which will take place at a United States beach venue.

Cat Party

frmkhg4.jpg

lmao

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
"2018 Fyre Festival" 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Beeks

So this has to go down as the worst festival in terms of expectations to reality for this decade right?

And lol at Ja Rule's toast. As incredibly crap the whole situation is it's still hilarious just as an outside observer how this could even happen.

EDIT: You know what. Documentary of this whole thing. Please. It would be a great comedy. This is The Room of festivals.

Adam McKay is going to make a hilarious movie sending up this festival in 5 years. Just put Ja Rule's toast into the script verbatim, it's perfect.

RevoDS

How is it not gonna be a disaster next year if you give all the festivalgoers from this year a free pass AND refund them, essentially wiping out both this year and next year's revenue sources?

Where are they gonna find the money to make this a reality without any revenues?

Sounds like...(surprise!) a train wreck waiting to happen

Refunding makes sense, coming back next year and handing out free tickets to everyone doesn't.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
How is it not gonna be a disaster next year if you give all the festivalgoers from this year a free pass AND refund them, essentially wiping out both this year and next year's revenue sources?

Where are they gonna find the money to make this a reality without any revenues?

Sounds like...(surprise!) a train wreck waiting to happen

Refunding makes sense, coming back next year and handing out free tickets to everyone doesn't.

"We will refund you. Now please let's stop talking about this and focus on 2018! :D"

/never refunds

/never 2018

/chilling abroad with stacks of cash

Kanye should troll the people still there and say he's coming and will do an improvised show, and then never go.

scamander

Banned
Why are people in here acting like the Bahamas is the USA? Its an independent nation and has more British history than American.

Wait, where did I say that?

Oof. That's a pretty weak selection compared to my local Mariano's.

My post wasn't about selection, it was about showing examples of what Europeans consider to be bread and cheese. Because no European would eat the shit they got served on the Fyre Festival. Well, maybe the Brits would, they are weird like that; but no one from the mainland.

That aside, I am from Germany, the country that is known for offering the biggest selection of breads worldwide. If you honestly think your machine-made supermarket bread can compare in selection OR quality with the handmade bread of our local bakeries, I'm laughing my ass off. (As a sidenote: I'm not saying there isn't good bread in the US, but you certainly don't get it from a supermarket chain!)

Boylamite

What's the story.
Dash con. Poorly run convention that didn't pay its panelists, leading to last minute cancellations.
The organizers had to beg the attendees for more cash because they apparently owed the hotel money.
Everything fell apart due to bad organization. To smooth things over, they offered everyone an extra 15 minutes (or something ) in the ball pit. Yep that shoddy, soggy half full ball pit is the actual one.

This is amazing.

As amazing as the islands are, the infrastructure for a festival of this magnitude needed to be built from the ground up.
I'm sure the people on the Bahamas appreciate you calling their island too shitty to host a large even.

We thought we were ready, but then everyone arrived.
Guys, we were ready! Problem is, people actually came. You should have stayed home and it would have all been OK!

All festival goers this year will be refunded in full. We will be working on refunds over the next few days and will be in touch directly with guests with more details. Also, all guests from this year will have free VIP passes to next year's festival.
Please come back for free next year. When we again attempt to have a festival, but this time without any revenue.

I'm sure the people on the Bahamas appreciate you calling their island too shitty to host a large even.

apparently the islanders have all their resources on tap due to an already booked yearly 60-and-over event that is the largest yacht fest in the Bahamas w even more wealthy people that brings tons of business and books up hotels years in advance. the Fyre people were told this and they asked if the other event date could move. when it didn't happen, they ignored it, just like every bad sign along the way. what they did was super irresponsible, bringing that many people on false pretenses to an already taxed tourist economy.

it is so funny to see them constantly blame the weather on messing up the tent situation, as if the problem is not that they had to sleep in tents and not, you know, in some actual building-like structure. they are all marketing geniuses, apparently, so the mis-direction must be intentional. when a venture debacle like this happens, we can look to those in charge, and they have gone through life obliviously wielding their power and entitlement, to the point of hurting other people in pursuit of money. its just always amazing to be able to see them caught in their own web.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

My post wasn't about selection, it was about showing examples of what Europeans consider to be bread and cheese. Because no European would eat the shit they got served on the Fyre Festival. Well, maybe the Brits would, they are weird like that; but no one from the mainland.

That aside, I am from Germany, the country that is known for offering the biggest selection of breads worldwide. If you honestly think your machine-made supermarket bread can compare in selection OR quality with the handmade bread of our local bakeries, I'm laughing my ass off. (As a sidenote: I'm not saying there isn't good bread in the US, but you certainly don't get it from a supermarket chain!)

Europeans are so cool they wouldn't eat a meal we are all laughing at

Time to reevaluate your life

Fyre Festival’s 25-Year-Old Organizer: “This Is the Worst Day of My Life”

In a phone interview Friday evening, the 25-year-old tech entrepreneur behind the festival, Billy McFarland, called the previous 24 hours the “worst day of my life” and described the fiasco, which reverberated across social media, as essentially an act of God.

“Unfortunately we were hit by a storm early Thursday morning that caused some damage to half our tent housing and busted pipes and delayed flights that were arriving to the point where we weren’t comfortable in our ability to resolve it, and we decided to postpone the festival,” McFarland said.

Interestingly, McFarland claims he initially created the festival website as a test to see if people were interested, before it “took on a life of its own.”

“We started the website to test the theory that people were interested and it went from there. All of the sudden we had thousands of guests and we started booking talent, and we had a festival on our hands. So we thought, oh wow, we have to go solve all the logistical problems,” McFarland said.

Now those celebrities have become in part the focus of ire by festival attendees who feel swindled by the so-called “influencer” promotion.

Jenner promoted the festival in a now-deleted Instagram photo, for which she was paid $250,000, according to a Fyre employee with knowledge of the transaction. Jenner did not label the post as an advertisement.

McFarland said only that the company had a confidential deal with Jenner, the details of which he was not aware or at liberty to speak about. Jenner’s rep did not return a request for comment.

Kthulhu

Germany being know for bread? We thinking of the same Germany?

berzeli

Banned
Germany being know for bread? We thinking of the same Germany?

Here, read this article from the Goethe-Institut (it's from 2009 which explains some of the references)
The global crisis has been eating away at popular confidence in bankers, in managers, estate agents, politicians and even journalists. But not bakers, oh no, not bakers.

Trust in at least one institution has not crumbled: German bread.

These are booming, yeast-rising times for the 300 or so variations of German bread, the Vollkornbrot, the Roggenbrot and the legendary Pumpernickel. Bread sales were up again in Germany, the tenth year in succession; the business is worth 16.7 billion dollars and looks set to do well as long as Germans eat their weight – 87 kilos – in bread rolls every year.
In some southern German villages, the locals have formed bread-making groups. They make the dough at home and then on Saturdays make use of a communal wood oven, a Holzofen, to do the baking. It is a social, gossipy event that underscores the fact that baking breeds a sense of togetherness and safety.

Even a sense of national pride.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Who are these fucking idiots volunteering to help obvious scam artists?
Unless they're bullshitting about that, too.

Kayhan

Jenner promoted the festival in a now-deleted Instagram photo, for which she was paid $250,000, according to a Fyre employee with knowledge of the transaction. Jenner did not label the post as an advertisement.

Ru11QML.gif

Hey! We Brits might not be quite the Bakers you or the French are, but we're still at least top 5 in Europe for bread, and the fucking best when it comes to quality and variety with our artisanal cheeses.

Admittedly you're absolutely right, most of my countrymen would happily scoff that shit down without a second thought, and if Brexit has proven anything, it's that most of us will make incredibly stupid decisions regardless of how bad it is for us, but still, we are both aware of and make better bread and cheese than that.

Realistically actually, I'm picturing the average Brit being given that meal, and I'm certain 90% of them would eat the bread and cheese without fuss but bin the salad, regardless of its quality. Damn it, we are worse than you implied we are!

Interestingly, McFarland claims he initially created the festival website as a test to see if people were interested, before it “took on a life of its own.”

“We started the website to test the theory that people were interested and it went from there. All of the sudden we had thousands of guests and we started booking talent, and we had a festival on our hands. So we thought, oh wow, we have to go solve all the logistical problems,” McFarland said.

Wow... It's the same case as your average scummy Kickstarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom